Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 3.40 Sandown - 3pts win Kiz Kulesi @ 9/2 (Ladbrokes) This Godolphin runner is very interesting to me now on his second start of the season and with much quicker ground on offer today than when he returned to the fold at Haydock last time. That would have been against him I think, being a Street Cry colt and he acted well at Newmarket on debut on better ground when running out a surprise winner. There was no fluke about it, though, as he travelled best of all and kept on well when hitting the front despite screaming of inexperience. He didn't really know what he was meant to be doing but effectively did the job and stuck his neck out all the way to the line. On that evidence, the step up to 1m2f will be no problem - especially on ground such as this - and with the run under his belt last time out, should be fit for this. I always think it's worth taking on Godolphin horses after a break so it wasn't a huge surprise he was beating - especially considering the conditions - and he should be spot on today and could be nicely treated if coming on as expected for his debut.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 8.15 Epsom - 2pts win Reset City @ 8/1 (Bet365) This mare has yet to get her head in front after eleven attempts but has run well since joining Ian Williams in the spring and ran better than the result suggests last time out at Carlisle. Since joining her new yard, she's finished 3rd on the all-weather after a lengthy break, runner-up to a supremely well-handicapped horse (won off 64 that day and since won off 79), beaten a short-head off 1lb higher at Windsor, not beaten far off 69 at Doncaster and then there was the 7th at Carlisle last time out. She's perfectly well-handicapped off 64 and the return of Jamie Spencer to the saddle is a positive. Last time at Carlisle they went a mad gallop, and for all she wasn't right on it (sat in about 5th), she was plenty closer than most who came to the fore late on. She made her challenge a couple of furlongs out to dispute but faded late on as those out the back finished strongly. I just think she paid for being relatively close up and the stiffish finish there probably wasn't ideal either. She possesses sufficient natural pace to act around Epsom and I think the downhill run will really suit her. The yard are 1-5 here and I expect her to go close in her attempt to get a first win under her belt. 8.55 Doncaster - 3pts win Scottish Star @ 7/1 (Bet365) James Eustace has his horses in good form and this is a gelding who has shaped very much as if the step up to 1m4f would suit him. At the very least he needs a very strong pace to run off over shorter because he doesn't do much particularly quickly and has finished to good effect the last thrice. He managed to win over a mile at Kempton three starts back after they went very quick up front and he responded to pressure to get up on the line. He was under pressure for about 3f on that occasion and didn't look like getting there for much of the contest. He would find it hard to win over that trip again and I backed him at Sandown the next time when upped to 1m2f. It was a similar story, really, as he finished well without threatening, but was short of room at a crucial stage and he's a horse who needs to wind up his effort and anything halting his momentum would damage his chances. Both the 1st and 2nd from that race have run well since so the form is decent and he couldn't get involved at Kempton over the same trip last time. He went very wide under Ian Burns and did keep on but it was an insufficient test and I don't really think he's the ideal horse for an apprentice race. He gets stronger handling today with Micky Fenton in the saddle and I think this trip will really help. He's bred to stay - being by a 1m2f winner and out of a mare who won over 2 miles on the flat - and the long straight at Doncaster should suit perfectly for his running style. He should be able to unwind on the flat surface without interference and I can see him taking this at a more than reasonable price.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 4.05 Ascot - 2pts win Dark Ranger @ 11/1 (Hills) This horse has been desperately unfortunate not to have a win to his name since last May having suffered from poor rides on the all-weather and then met a well-handicapped rival in a 2m2f York handicap that he won the year before. That (clear) 2nd gives him a chance here and he backed that up with a solid 9th in the Ascot Stakes last time out at the Royal meeting. When you consider the winner was impressive (won by 7l later in the week too), he was only beaten 4 1/2l by the remainder and the step back to two miles will suit. He also seems to prefer a quicker surface which he gets today and the stiff two mile trip will be more ideal than a test at 2m4f around here with cut in the ground I think. He travelled nicely and looked a threat 4f out before fading late on but it was a run to suggest he could still compete off this mark when getting his conditions. A few of these have questions to answer with regards to their wellbeing, and the both the first two in the betting have to prove themselves up in trip. At the price, I'm happy to side with a horse who is proven over the conditions and is in form. 11/1 looks too big to me.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 6.00 York - 3pts win Just Fabulous @ 15/2 (Hills) Posted this before his run two starts back:

2.55 Ayr - 2pts win Just Fabulous @ 12/1 (Bet365) The favourite in this is progressive but looks far too short for me and I think George Moore's horse could be a bit overpriced in this and fairly treated as he drops back to the mile. He won both starts in 2011, beating a now 86-rated horse by 4l on debut and then won another novice event which has worked out well. An 89-rated animal was 2nd and a now 100 horse was 3rd. He obviously has plenty of ability on that and although he hasn't shown the same level of form this time around, his return effort can be forgiven on the basis of fitness, and has since been campaigned over 1m2f for two starts. Although he's bred to stay that far, he's raced keenly and the step back down in trip looks suitable at this point in time. He hasn't been disgraced and was only 6l behind Thomas Chippendale last time - a horse who has franked the form strongly this week. Fennell Bay was ahead of my selection by a head that day as well, and he's since won twice so considering the handicapper has dropped Just Fabulous to a mark of 83 I think he's got a race or two in him and he should enjoy this mile trip. Any rain that's got into the ground is no problem and I think he can go well today.
Kept on into 4th on this occasion having not had the best luck in running. The runner-up has won since and it was a 0-100 race. Although he ran very poorly over 1m2f at Sandown last time, I think he wants a mile and this flat track should suit him too. He's dropping down the weights and remains well treated on old form and has a good apprentice on board taking off 3lbs. Being supported in the market too and this can be his best run for a while I think.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 2.05 York - 2pts win Kunooz @ 20/1 (Bet365) Mahmood Al-Zarooni's filly seems a bit of a forgotten horse having put in a disappointing performance first time up this season. If you can excuse her that effort then she must have a pretty good chance on the form of her two runs last year. She's yet to run in a handicap but if she bounces back to last season's form then I think she's fairly treated off a mark of 90 having won on debut over 7f (race worked out ok) and then chased home the very smart Falls Of Lora at Ascot over a mile next time out. That was a dodgy race though really as they didn't go quickly and Kieren Fallon made a fast, sweeping move on the turn to send the winner clear and the rest were tapped for toe. However, my selection finished 2nd and put some ground between herself and the 3rd placed horse. The winner is rated 107 now and that was only Al-Zarooni's filly's second start on a racecourse. She did run badly on her return but there were excuses available. Firstly it was her first run for the best part of a year. Secondly, the ground was softer than she's raced on before so the sounder surface here should help, and also she helped force a very strong gallop which saw those towards the rear prosper. It was a listed event and the time was good considering the ground conditions. She should get this trip now and I'll take a chance at a big price that she can bounce back.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 2.20 Ascot - 3pts win Warlu Way @ 10/1 (Bet365) John Dunlop can't buy a winner at the moment but his horses are running adequately to make it less of a concern than it sometimes is and I'm hopeful that he can get off the cold list early on today. His runner in this 1m4f handicap will relish the conditions and has slid back down the handicap to the same mark off which he was deprived by a short-head at Newmarket in October. A repeat of that effort would see him go similarly close today, if not better, and I envisage a big performance now he has his quick ground. His record on ground with "firm" in the description, when preceded by a recent run, reads 41112. He produces his best when he can hear his hooves rattle against the turf and that will certainly be the case this afternoon. I can't really have the favourite at the price as he continues to climb the weights so I'll take him on with a horse who hasn't really had his ideal circumstances this season yet. He needed his first run back and although the ground was described as "good" at Windsor last time out when beaten just under 6l, there was definitely more juice in the ground than the description suggests. There wasn't much pace in the race either which saw him take a keen hold and it just wasn't right for him. A decent gallop and the quick ground today will help and although this is a relatively small field, there are a couple who like to go forward so fingers crossed this doesn't turn into a tactical mess and he takes a pull. If he doesn't, he has a big chance in my eyes.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 2.45 Newmarket - 3pts win Ellemujie @ 8/1 (Bet365) Dean Ivory's charge goes well on the whole on the July Course and he certainly doesn't appear out of this off a mark of 83. Although he has won over 1m4f at Kempton, I think a stiff 1m2f on turf suits him best and the quick ground is definitely in his favour as all three of his turf wins have come on ground described as good to firm. He does have to bounce back from a disappointing effort last time out, but there were excuses as he got shuffled back around 3f out after he was involved in some scrimmaging and given not much came from off the pace in the contest, his race was over. He did, however, make up some decent ground into midfield afterwards before feeling the pinch inside the final furlong - unsurprising having used up energy over 1m4f to try get back into the race. He definitely ran better than the bare form suggests and the cheekpieces return today having been off on this occasion. They seem to help him and he returns to ideal conditions today and there looks plenty of pace in the race which will also suit perfectly. Big chance I think.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps Yuk. Hideous ride really from Ajtebi on the first. Very strange style. Oh well...couldn't have been overly optimistic. Warlu Way ran well but hung right which made him difficult. Finished 3rd. Ellemujie battled on determinedly and finished 3rd but looked a potential winner for a while. Another couple to run well but just need one of these potential big earners to go in rather than place. Disappointing.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps Couple of confident ones tonight. Fingers crossed. 6.10 Salisbury - 4pts win Gallego @ 5/1 (Ladbrokes) Richard Price's horse has won no fewer than five times at Salisbury and he looks to be cherry ripe for another victory in this contest for Mr M Price, one of the better riders in the race. With the ground also on his side, and a handicap mark 6lbs lower than a win last autumn suggests he's going to run an absolute stormer today having shaped well here over 7f last time out. He was slowly away and confidently ridden in the rear (only asked for effort 2f out). He didn't respond rapidly and could only stay on into a 5l 6th. He was also isolated down the centre of the track and that trip isn't ideal for him now at the grand old age of 10. All but one of his career successes have come over further than 7f so this mile helps as well. That run suggested he was coming back into good shape and this race will have been mapped out for him. Everything looks spot on for him and he'll take a lot of beating in my opinion. 8.15 Salisbury - 4pts win Dora's Gift @ 5/1 (Bet365) Hughie Morrison's bottom weight here is extremely interesting and I think a price of 5/1 is generous for an unexposed horse who looks sure to relish from the extra 2f on offer this evening. Despite being by a sprinting sire, she struggled to compete over a mile, finishing to decent effect without threatening, but showed much more since handicapping last time out and further improvement is expected now. That was her first run for six months and it was very likable. She finished 2nd behind a winner who won again next time out and she really finished to good effect. At one point it looked like she would be challenged for the runners-up spot but pulled out plenty late on to close on the winner and stamp her authority on the position. She shaped as if 1m6f would be right up her street on this occasion and her dam was a two-mile winner so that's where her stamina comes from and I anticipate a huge run now with the very capable Harry Bentley taking 3lbs away from her 5lb penalty.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 3.40 Carlisle - 3pts win Dark Dune @ 6/1 (Betvictor) I feel that Tim Easterby's runner is a bit overpriced here given the fact he's very much in form and conditions today should suit. All of his wins have come on a sound surface which made his effort on soft last time out even more encouraging and although there is some give in the ground today, it's unlikely to be particularly soft so I'm not concerned about there. He won a four-runner race at Pontefract off 7lbs lower than today's mark before running okay without having his conditions in the Cumberland Plate here when sent off at 40/1. He finished in midfield but wasn't disgraced and the fact he was only beaten by a head last time out, a 1lb higher mark shouldn't see him far away today. He travelled supremely well when looking sure to come and grab the winner but didn't find quite as much as expected over 1m6f on soft ground. That was perhaps a little too taxing than ideal and the return to this trip on better ground should be a positive. Got sufficient speed for it to not concern and looks likely to run another big race.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 2.50 Pontefract - 2pts win Singzak @ 16/1 (Bet365) This isn't a particularly good race and with Michael Easterby's runner making steady progression in two runs this season, he might just be ready to do himself justice now on his third run of the season. He hasn't shown much on two starts so far - beating 2 horses home on aggregate - but wasn't beaten as far at Doncaster last time when ridden prominently over a trip that probably just stretches him (1m5f). His best efforts have come over shorter and has run well here before. 1m4f is ideal and he's also a horse who seems to relish quick ground (didn't get it on first run back). He's down to a good mark now and hopefully will have fitness on his side now. Horses usually need to be near the front at Pontefract turning in and this one looks sure to be up there. That's another positive and I'm hopeful he'll run better today.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 3.05 Ayr - 2pts win Forrest Flyer @ 11/1 (PP) I find it a bit surprising that a 4 time c&d winner is such a big price in this event and is off a winning mark. Although the softened ground isn't totally ideal, it isn't bad and he has won under similar conditions in the past. He loves it around here and his most recent effort can safely be ignored as it was over 2m1f here on soft ground. He simply doesn't stay that so that run makes his price very appealing to me here. Prior to that he ran fairly well on his first run back this season and then suffered from a bit of a farcical race when getting outpaced. A more even gallop will suit big time and there are 2 or 3 who like to be in the van so fingers crossed it doesn't turn into a messy affair. Overpriced.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps Joining the Spanish Duke party. Think he's much too big: 2.00 Goodwood - 2pts win Spanish Duke @ 20/1 (Bet365) The John Dunlop team will be praying for a winner and this would be just the tonic to get the yard off the cold list. His runners are running okay on the whole so there is some encouragement ahead of Glorious Goodwood and I think this horse has a fine chance at a big price in the opener of the festival. Spanish Duke is a free-going sort who relishes the downhill nature of Epsom and it's clear sharper tracks are in his favour and the easier finish here will prove much more ideal than at Ascot, last time out, for example. It's also a positive in my eyes that he's dropped back down in trip to the 9 1/2f on offer here today as he does hamper his chances by pulling fiercely. That can still happen over this trip but it should have less impact at the finish than when he did just that at the royal meeting last time out. The softer conditions there would have been against him too but he travelled well (as usual) but just didn't see it out over 1m4f with the stiffer finish there with some cut. Prior to that effort he was an unfortunate 3rd at his beloved Epsom. He pulled again, and the trip was 1m4f also, but it's less taxing there on better ground and but for lacking a clear run early in the straight, he may well have won. He powered home when in the clear and that shows to me that he's in good heart when he has his conditions. It's a good move dropping him back to what might be his best trip and the better ground does help. He's now only 1lb higher than his last win (a very comfortable success at Epsom) so he's poised to strike and his wide draw should be nullified somewhat by his usual tactics of being dropped in. You need plenty of luck at Goodwood so that's a concern, as is his record at the track. He's been well-held on both occasions he's run here but the way he handles Epsom suggests there were probably other factors that led to him disappointing. For example last year he wasn't in brilliant form going into the race, suffered from little room up the straight and was high in the handicap. He comes into the race better this year and this will suit much more than the Ascot race he competed in last time. I think he'll be travelling as well as anything and I just hope he gets the split and can quicken better than when he was last here.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 4.50 Goodwood - 4pts win Jacob Cats @ 3/1 (Ladbrokes) The one thing I noticed about this race especially was there seem to be quite a few front-runners and that should mean this plays into the hands of a closer, and Richard Hannon's progressive miler fits the bill so long as he is in good shape having won at Sandown just six days ago. That victory made it two in a row and a 6lb penalty is going to be tough to stop him going in once more. A wide draw is far from ideal but he's a horse who likes to be patiently ridden and has a nice turn of foot which could be crucial here. The race he won two starts back has worked out well and he's now only had six runs so further improvement looks likely. He was 1 1/4l too strong last time, having asserted nicely once he hit the front and he looks a horse to keep on the right side of for the time being at least. He'll need plenty of luck but so long as he gets it I think he's going to be tough to beat.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 2.00 Goodwood - 3pts win Veiled @ 14/1 (Bet365) I personally cannot touch the favourite at such a price at this trip and will let him win should he do so. I, however, am pretty sweet on the chances of Nicky Henderson's first string in here who won the Ascot stakes off 6lbs lower last year - proving she has both the quality and the stamina for this test. Although she's been a bit hold and cold since then, she's run a couple of good races in both codes recently and her recent run at the Royal meeting does not put me off her today. She ran a fine 3rd in the Coral Cup at the Cheltenham Festival before weakening at Aintree over 3m1f - no great surprise seen as she's never won over that far, especially on soft ground, just a few weeks after Cheltenham. You would have thought she would get home over that trip in NH racing considering her flat record but I can forgive her that and she ran respectably last time out at Ascot. She finished 10th of 20, but wasn't beaten far when taking out the thrown-in winner and Eddie Ahern eased her down late on, exaggerating the losing margin. She travelled well, but was on the outside, and the ground wasn't ideal. She relishes a quick surface and she seems likely to get something close today and is also a summer horse by the looks of things (7-8 wins between March-September). I think the ground can make all the difference here and she travelled plenty strongly enough to suggest she's in good order. She's not out of this at the weights and she looks a sound bet to run her race and I'm fairly confident it will see her go close. 3.45 Goodwood - 2pts win Mawaqeet @ 16/1 (Bet365) This is a bit of a puzzle to solve and many could win this but I think Sir Michael Stoute's runner is a touch overpriced in here despite only getting off the mark at the 6th attempt last time out at Hamilton. He's obviously not the easiest but has run plenty of good races in defeat and this race should suit him. He had excuses last season when needing his first outing before finding heavy ground against him next time out. Was only beaten 3/4l over 7f on good ground on his final start of 2011 (finished well) and that was never going to be his trip. His first effort back has proved to be very strong (10f on good) when chasing home the very progressive Trade Commissioner and was only beaten 1/2l. That horse is now rated 105 so on literal form, a rating of 87 for my selection isn't bad. He's run on soft the last twice which wouldn't be ideal I don't think as his sire has a stronger record on quicker surfaces, and the best runs have come on better ground for Paul Hanagan's mount. The visor was applied last time and he ran out a 3l victor. That stays on today and he looks a galloping type who will need a good pace to run at here. He should get that today with four of the runners having led on at least one of their last two starts. The better ground will suit and I reckon he'll run a big race from a decent draw in 8. He's a hold-up horse so a middle stall should be ideal and I'm confident of a big run. 4.55 Goodwood - 3pts win Valiant Girl @ 7/1 (Bet365) Roger Charlton's filly is very interesting to me in this 1m1f handicap having got off the mark narrowly last time out over c&d. Course form is a boost here and she looks to have plenty of improvement still in her having only had two runs to date. These runs have been separated by an 8-month break and I think she can be a bit better than a rating of 85. Her dam was rated 98 so she clearly has a fair bit of ability in her pedigree and this should be her best run so far. She was a clear eyecatcher on debut behind the very talented Encke (will now be rated comfortably in the 100s). She was slowly away, green and nudged along in rear before having nowhere to go once she picked up the bit. Steve Drowne had to sit and suffer before she got a bit of room and she stayed on quite takingly before being short of daylight once more late on. The race was decent and she definitely was one of the main few to take out of it. She did well to win here last time given she'd been off the track for so long and the steady pace wouldn't have been ideal, either. She quickened up well, however, with an unraced rival to battle all the way to the line and she nicked it by a head. The way the front two accelerated 4 1/2l clear late on off a modest pace suggests both are pretty useful and she should have come on again for the run. The yard's horses are going well and have a 20% strike rate here. They can hopefully celebrate another winner here.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 7.15 Leicester - 2pts win The Cayterers @ 7/1 (Hills) Tony Carroll's last three runners have gone excellently and this 10 year old should be primed now on his third run of the season. Conditions suit here over 1m2f on quick ground with the stiff finish in his favour. He's had excuses on his first two runs this time around, both at Windsor, when given a tender ride over 1m4f on his return as George Downing didn't ask him for any serious effort and the mile was too short last time. The ground also wouldn't have been ideal and he did keep on in a race that has worked out well. Back up in trip today and has a different 7lb claimer on board today. If he gives him a decent ride then he looks poised to run a big race with weight taken off his back.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 2.15 Goodwood - 2pts win Grandeur @ 10/1 (Hills) William Buick has concerns about the draw here and obviously it isn't totally ideal in stall 16 but given the mayhem that can go on down the straight at Goodwood I wouldn't be overly worried should he race a bit wider than normally ideal. I think he has the form to go very close off top-weight, having won over this course and distance three starts back in late May. That was off a mark of 88 (11lbs lower than today) but he did it nicely in the end - travelling up on the outside and finding plenty for pressure to stride to a 2 1/4l success. The race has worked out fairly well, too, with the next few home not letting the form down in subsequent efforts. Obviously 11lbs higher than that and in a more competitive affair, he has to have improved, but he's still lightly-raced and ran a cracker at Epsom off 96 two starts back when finishing strongly despite an initial wide draw and edging down the camber. Was narrowly denied by Wrotham Heath (2lb swing now) but was ahead of that one when both were comfortably held at Royal Ascot last time out. I think it's worth mentioning that although in the formbook as 10f, there is some yards difference in trip at Epsom and Goodwood and the longer trip should help today in an attempt to reverse the form from the downs. At Ascot, Grandeur didn't get his ground as it was just on the soft side and anyway it was a decent Group 3 affair, out of which a few horses have come out and gone well since. He still travelled up nicely turning in, though, before just feeling the pinch and fading home in the end. The easiest test here and faster ground will help him a lot and he has both the tactical speed and ability to find off the bridle to make him an ideal fit for this course. The yard are going well as per usual and I'm optimistic here if he can get a half-decent position from his draw.

Re: Rupert's 1m+ Handicaps 5.25 Goodwood - 2pts win Zamdy Man @ 12/1 (Bet365) If the ground wasn't as lively as it is I'd be going a point bigger on this as he really impressed me last time out and I just hope he doesn't get tapped for toe. If he doesn't then he should have a cracking chance. He was a big eyecatcher on debut over 1m2f at Sandown when losing his place down the back before staying on stoutly to finish 3rd behind a horse now rated 90 (won again since) who had race experience. It was a bit surprising to see him step back to a mile at Newmarket last time out given his debut but he knew his job better and managed to make the running. He was pressed a couple of furlongs out but soon repelled the solid yardstick (rated 75) and stormed away to a clear victory. He was going further and further away at the finish and was eased down late on to a 4l success. Merely looking at it, a mark of 84 may look high, but he's back up to 1m3f here today and that will be the most ideal trip faced yet. He won despite the trip last time out (testing ground helped) and he's bred to be every bit a staying type. He's a biggish horse which might make this track less than ideal, and the quicker ground is another question mark but if he's close enough he shouldn't be stopping at the finish. There's plenty of scope about him, especially now handicapping upped in trip. Both his sire and his dam's sire have better progeny records with horses over stamina-testing trips and he should run a big race.