Ukraine v Sweden > June 11

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn, align: left]Ukraine v Sweden (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.38[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.3[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.5[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]100.89 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 ukraine did not look good in friendlies. i did not feel they were preprepared for the tournament and the spirit of the team was not there. i wonder if they are even going to get a point in this one

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 Optimism for Ukraine may come from home advantage and a surprise defeat for the visitors in Hungary, but aside from that what with the food poisoning scare and Sweden's good qualifying record I can't resist the 'away' side. Not overly impressed with the squad selections of Voronin (erratic) and Shevchenko (one tourney too many?) either, although Yarmolenko is a danger. Sweden @ 3.1 Betfred (3pts)

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 It will be the first competitive fixture between these two sides, so there is not much statistics to a make a proper analysis. The only thing I can rely on in the teams' recent form. Ukraine played plenty of friendlies against various teams and there was no consistency. Ukrainian side is young and inexperienced and 7 of their players are yet to make a competitive debut for the national side. Out of the 10 friendly games Ukraine have played only 2 produced less than 3 goals. In total they have scored 21 and conceded 18 goals. So their last 10 games produced 39 goals (almost 4 goals per game on average). Ukrainians play open and attractive football, so I don't think they will sit in defense, especially since it is not strong. Sweden is likely to be without Johan Elmander, but nevertheless they still have Zlatan Ibrahimovic and other decent strikers who can cause problems to the Ukrainian side and since Ukraine has a weak defense I can see Sweden scoring at least 2 goals here. But even though Ukraine have a weak defense they also have some decent players up front, so betting on goals is the way to go in this game. Over 3.5 Goals @ 4.50 ​William Hill

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 Elmander is 95% likely to start since he was back training at full intensity with the rest of the squad 2 days ago and reportedly felt fine. We do however have great options on the bench in Toivonen and Rosenberg. I was hoping there would be value in Sweden +0.5 but the odds of 1.5-1.6 are not appealing to me. The overs are quite generously priced, but that seems to be the case for all these opening games, even Russia - Czech who ended with 5 goals. Both these teams of course know that if they lose, they are severly ****** when it comes to advancement chances so it could be a careful game, but again that was true for NL - Denmark aswell, and that was quite an open game that could have easily produced 1 or 2 more goals for either side, particularly the dutch. If the overs were reasonably priced I might let them be, but 2.45 is too generous given that both sides are "top-heavy" (better offense than defense). I go for Over 2.5 Goals @ 2.45 with Pinnacle.

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 Over 2.5 @ 2.5 (Stan James) I'm usually a fan of betting unders in international games but I'd say the overs contains the best value here. Although international tournaments tend to feature lots of defensive games, only two out of the last four European Championships have had more unders games than overs games in the group stages. Both teams are attacking sides as far as I can tell. I watched Ukraine in their friendly against Estonia, and although the opposition were poor, they were fluid in attack and looked dangerous in a 4-0 win. I watched Sweden a few times in qualifying, where they scored a lot of goals but also conceded a fair few and I thought they looked a bit dodgy defensively. The manager, Erik Hamren, has changed their style of play to 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-4-2 and as a result I think we will see a more positive Sweden side in this tournament than we have been used to in the past. Both Sweden and Ukraine have had more overs games than unders games in the past two years. Also, a look at their squads show the best players to be in attack rather than defence, in my opinion. Naturally, there is the worry that neither side will want to lose their first game, so this should be taken into account. However, there is also the possibility that both teams will go searching for the win when you consider the other teams in the group are, on paper, tougher propositions. Like the Ireland game tonight, this is both sides' best chance of gaining three points. There is also the factor of an expectant Ukrainian crowd who will probably not settle for a draw. 2.5 represents a 40% chance of overs, which is by far better than the other bookmakers. It is also better than Betfair, where over 2.5 is 2.46 to back and 2.48 to lay. I think there is some slight value here, and it is worth a low stakes punt.

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 Sweden DNB. I think that Ukraine are slightly overrated due to their hosts status. It is their debut in the European Championship and first competitive game in two years. Their team is a mix of young and old and it seems like a generation has been skipped in Ukrainian football. Most players come from the Ukrainian league which may be a hinderance due to lack of experience of European games. Sweden are usually very solid in those tournaments and I think they are well under rated in group D. I expect them to get promoted to QFs together with France and they should start with a win.

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 3pts Sweden to beat Ukraine 2/1 Blue Square

Sweden have looked a good side to be for a while and I think their competitive edge compared to Ukraine who’ve been playing only friendlies, will come through and be the difference in this match. It’s a tournament opener for both so it is sure to be tight but I think Sweden can edge this one. Full preview here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/ukraine-vs-sweden-betting--sweden-can-edge-out-the-co-hosts-on-their-big-night

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 Ukraine have had a very poor run of friendlies in the run up to the tournament. In Ukraine's last elven friendlies eight of those games went over 2.5. They have also lost five of those games including against Sweden. Sweden have been in good form winning eight of there last eleven games. Sweden have taken a new attacking approach to there play and have Ibrahimovic playing behind Elmander which has worked well with him scoring five goals in eight qualifying games. They did concede ten goals in qualifying aswell as scoring 25 goals. I can see this being a very open game much like the Ireland Croatia game last night with plenty of goals. Ukraine have been over rated in the betting due to them being the home side so I think good value lies in backing Sweden in some form. Over 2.5 at 2.37 Bet Victor BTTS at 2.1 Ladbrokes Sweden DNB at 2.1 Ladbrokes

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 Sweden @ 2.98 pinnacle Sweden were impressive in the qualifiers as they just missed out on top spot to Holland who they beat at home, and like them to do well in this group. They work very well as a group and are spearheaded by Ibrahimovic up front who can score goals for them. Like him to cause some damage here as the Ukraine is an average side compared to the other sides in this tournament, as they are either too young and inexperienced, or older players past their prime. They will have quite a bit of home support but with a defence that leaked goals in the recent friendlies, then can see them giving up goals here.

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 The safest bet I can find for this match is that there will be yellow cards.The turkish ref Cakir managed to book 8 players and send off 1 on both of the occasions I saw him this season.They were City games in the Europa and Champions lge and neither game particularly dirty.Looking at his domestic record he averages almost 7 cards a game. 2 evenly matched sides and the significance of the match and therefore Over 4.5 cards @ Evens Bet365

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11 Okay lets make money. I really doubt Ukraine would even be in this tournament if they had to go through the qualification process. They have a few decent players (Tymoschuk, Milevskiy, Sheva?) but I simply can't see them stopping the Swedes here tonight. The Swedish defense is solid & experienced, midfield is packed with talent, they have a quality attacking CAM in Toivonen and then there is Zlatan. ;) If Ukraine weren't the hosts here, we would be talking Sweden being priced below Evens Think we might see something similar to the Russia v Czech Rep. game, so goals are likely as the hosts are unlikely to sit back in front of the home fans. As high as 3.30 in some bookies, this is absolute value if there was one. SWEDEN win

Re: Ukraine v Sweden > June 11

The safest bet I can find for this match is that there will be yellow cards.The turkish ref Cakir managed to book 8 players and send off 1 on both of the occasions I saw him this season.They were City games in the Europa and Champions lge and neither game particularly dirty.Looking at his domestic record he averages almost 7 cards a game. 2 evenly matched sides and the significance of the match and therefore Over 4.5 cards @ Evens Bet365
..and look at that! http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2011/02/09/world/friendlies/sweden/ukraine/1077914/ 7 yellow cards between those two teams one year ago in a friendly. Referee today: http://www.soccerway.com/referees/cuneyt-cakir/92755/ He is not shy with the cards..

Ukraine have had a very poor run of friendlies in the run up to the tournament. In Ukraine's last elven friendlies eight of those games went over 2.5. They have also lost five of those games including against Sweden. Sweden have been in good form winning eight of there last eleven games. Sweden have taken a new attacking approach to there play and have Ibrahimovic playing behind Elmander which has worked well with him scoring five goals in eight qualifying games. They did concede ten goals in qualifying aswell as scoring 25 goals. I can see this being a very open game much like the Ireland Croatia game last night with plenty of goals. Ukraine have been over rated in the betting due to them being the home side so I think good value lies in backing Sweden in some form. Over 2.5 at 2.37 Bet Victor BTTS at 2.1 Ladbrokes Sweden DNB at 2.1 Ladbrokes
Two out of Three in this one. First half was bollocks but a much better attacking second half

Over 2.5 @ 2.5 (Stan James) I'm usually a fan of betting unders in international games but I'd say the overs contains the best value here. Although international tournaments tend to feature lots of defensive games, only two out of the last four European Championships have had more unders games than overs games in the group stages. Both teams are attacking sides as far as I can tell. I watched Ukraine in their friendly against Estonia, and although the opposition were poor, they were fluid in attack and looked dangerous in a 4-0 win. I watched Sweden a few times in qualifying, where they scored a lot of goals but also conceded a fair few and I thought they looked a bit dodgy defensively. The manager, Erik Hamren, has changed their style of play to 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-4-2 and as a result I think we will see a more positive Sweden side in this tournament than we have been used to in the past. Both Sweden and Ukraine have had more overs games than unders games in the past two years. Also, a look at their squads show the best players to be in attack rather than defence, in my opinion. Naturally, there is the worry that neither side will want to lose their first game, so this should be taken into account. However, there is also the possibility that both teams will go searching for the win when you consider the other teams in the group are, on paper, tougher propositions. Like the Ireland game tonight, this is both sides' best chance of gaining three points. There is also the factor of an expectant Ukrainian crowd who will probably not settle for a draw. 2.5 represents a 40% chance of overs, which is by far better than the other bookmakers. It is also better than Betfair, where over 2.5 is 2.46 to back and 2.48 to lay. I think there is some slight value here, and it is worth a low stakes punt.
The game didn't start the way I was expecting, with both sides very cautious. But the first goal changed the game and we saw the attacking strengths and defensive weaknesses of both sides in the second half. Recouped most of my losses from the Ireland game.

Sweden DNB. I think that Ukraine are slightly overrated due to their hosts status. It is their debut in the European Championship and first competitive game in two years. Their team is a mix of young and old and it seems like a generation has been skipped in Ukrainian football. Most players come from the Ukrainian league which may be a hinderance due to lack of experience of European games. Sweden are usually very solid in those tournaments and I think they are well under rated in group D. I expect them to get promoted to QFs together with France and they should start with a win.
Ukraine 2 Sweden 1. First lost bet of the tournament, probably the bet was as bad as my reasoning for it...