** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

R.I.P. JOHN AKEHURST

taken from racing post ROYAL ASCOT-winning trainer John Akehurst died on Wednesday afternoon at the age of 51. Akehurst, the son of former trainer Reg, had been ill for some time and died at the Royal Marsden hospital in Sutton. Fellow Epsom trainer Simon Dow said: "I saw John briefly at lunchtime and his father Reg and mother Sheila, as well as his brother Murray, were all due to go in during the afternoon. He didamazingly to hang on so long. He was a very brave man." Having started out in racing with Fulke Walwyn before joining Stan Mellor, Akehurst later became assistant to his father during which time he rode one winner as an amateur rider. He later moved to Lambourn before returning to Epsom where he took over from his father on his retirement. It was during this period of his career that he was most successful, sending out Capricho to win the Wokingham in 2002 as well as registering notable victories with the likes of Marsad and Mac Love. Prince Of Sorrento, who provided Akehurst with a final winner from his final runner at Lingfield last week, carried his colours to victoryat Kempton on Wednesday night on his first start for the trainer's former assistant Lee Carter. Akehurst is survived by two daughters, Millie and Sophie.

Re: R.I.P. JOHN AKEHURST Sad news, although clearly not well for a long time. Met him once a lot of years ago in a social setting in which Avon and I were strangers and I remember him taking the time to put us at ease - he seemed a really genuine and nice guy and later Capricho became a real favourite of mine for several reasons. RIP