** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Poker teaches you humility

Haichan

Since my big win on Betfair in December, I have been on the usual cooler since thanks to a combination of over confidence, occasional bad play and a run of bad beats. I particularly seem to be running into late stage aggression in tournaments where I am often massive favourite and lose to runner runner straights. It encourages you to reassess your game but looking at my stats and hands played I did not think my fundamental game was bad. Over the last 3 weeks my game seems to have been coming back. I finished runner up in the monthly Blue Sq GUKPT Punters League and so decided to use my £50+£5 token to play the Blue Sq sat and try to qualify for Walsall. Been trying for the last 3 weeks to play the Blue Sq sat but its only weekly and its never had the minimum 10 entries. So Sunday registered for the Sat. I seemed to be running well this weekend and won 2 sats on Cake to qualify for their $15,000 guaranteed $100 buy in Sunday night. Played the Cake tournament and was running well until crippled when AK runs into a 10/9 off which hits runner runner straight. Out shortly after when QQ's beaten by A6 off with another runner runner straight. So its time to play the Blue Sq sat and suddenly my internet connection goes down. None of my neighbours are in so I can't use their wifi and this is Ipswich where everything shuts down at 4.00 on a sunday evening. 6 hours later my internet connection comes back and I go to check Blue Sq. Probably the tournament was cancelled. No such luck. There were 10 entries and my entry made it 10. Amazingly I finished 4th without even playing. So the moral of this story. Poker can be a cruel game and it can frustrate the hell out of you but watch out because I am going to win big this year. Its just a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Poker teaches you humility

So the moral of this story. Poker can be a cruel game and it can frustrate the hell out of you but watch out because I am going to win big this year. Its just a matter of time.
Well its nice to be right,although I didn't think it would only take 10 days. So the real moral of this story is If you keep working at your game then you can become a winning player. ll3l_bc8_uceum.pngUploaded at Picoodle.com

Re: Poker teaches you humility Simply amazing, I saw your 400 eur win at Stan James and now this one, I guess there were also some less successful inbetween, but this is some really serious cash. Congrats! Just thinking what to do in my case, in some smaller buyin tournaments I am able to hit some cash here and there, but with bigger buyins I am on such an incredible bad streak that I am losing confidence so currently playing them less and less to prevent losses. But well, there are some that I am still playing every week and as soon as I'll finally cash something interesting there, I will reconsider. Yes, my game has many leaks and I know about them, but those bad beats in decisive moments are incredible and devastating.

Re: Poker teaches you humility

Simply amazing, I saw your 400 eur win at Stan James and now this one, I guess there were also some less successful inbetween, but this is some really serious cash. Congrats! Just thinking what to do in my case, in some smaller buyin tournaments I am able to hit some cash here and there, but with bigger buyins I am on such an incredible bad streak that I am losing confidence so currently playing them less and less to prevent losses. But well, there are some that I am still playing every week and as soon as I'll finally cash something interesting there, I will reconsider. Yes, my game has many leaks and I know about them, but those bad beats in decisive moments are incredible and devastating.
The 3 days before my first Stan james win, I had just had KK beaten 4 times in a row, 3 times by crap. However when I looked at my stats I was getting my hands in late in tournaments as favourite in at least 65% of cases, so i still felt that if I kept playing the way I was the results would come. In the 2 wins, I was never all in on the first and only once on the second. Its hard to keep your game going and not get tilted when you keep getting sucked out on. However you have to be honest with yourself and examine any leaks. Mine was rushing decisions and this week I have definitely slowed down my decision making which is helping.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Poker teaches you humility Good stuff to read. I am just playing a bit more again, but I am not cashing for a while now. :\ I am confident in my game though. I'm not going to tilt. After reading your story Haichan I feel reassured... things will turn around for me too. :ok