BBOTD Sunday 26th of February

Aidymac

*Marshal Zhukov - Fontwell 4:45* Travelled well for a long way when 3rd over 3 miles two starts back, and the step back to 2m 3f here should be in its favour. Good apprentice James Best takes off 7 pounds, and this is the horse's handicap debut, a mark of 107 looks leniant on a horse that is unexposed. Has only had the 4 runs to date. Caroline Keevel doesn't bring many horses to Fontwell, so it is interesting she brings 3 here tomorrow. Looks a poor race and not much improvement required to get involved. *0.5 Points e/w @ 12/1 Bet365 BOG*

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 4.25 Towcester Coda Agency EW @ 50/1 Bet365 This horse would appear to have completely lost the plot since his 2nd at Kempton in April last year but I am going to take a chance on him here in a race that looks very open and at a track that doesn't suit every horse. This horse has only had 4 runs for Brendan Powell but has not showed anything in them runs. Two of those runs came on the all weather where he finished tailed off on both occasions. His run at Huntingdon can be ignored as he never went a yard and was struggling early on. He made his reappearance at Fontwell at the end of January where he showed much more even though he finished tailed off in the end. He was still bang there coming to the 3rd last but probably found a combination of the ground and lack of recent run against him as he weakened quite quickly. Miss Wills rode him for the first time last time out and she gets the ride again which is a positive as she takes 7lbs off his back. He has dropped rapidly in the weights since his last over hurdles which came way back in 2008 over CD off a mark of 108. He ran over CD in 2009 where he was racing off 116 but finished well beaten. Since that run his rating has declined and he is now racing off a mark of 90. Jockey's claim takes off another 7lbs which puts him on 83 which makes him quite appealing if he can recapture his old form. I thought he ran a much more encouraging race last time out and he may improve with that run under his belt and on this better ground. Also a return to this track is a big help as his record here is 2 wins from 4 runs. Stable are in form at the moment with 3 winners in the last couple of weeks and they also have the favourite in this race. Award Winner is the favourite for this race but he has been beaten a combination of 250 lengths in his last 4 runs so I don't really see why he should be 9/2. I quite like the look of The Hudnalls who goes for Jim Old who won this race last year. He has a good record at the track and a return to form for that horse would not be the biggest surprise. There is not much good form on offer here so it would not be the biggest surprise if an outsider were to win this. Coda Agency clearly likes the track as his 2 hurdle wins have both come here. He looks on a good mark if he can build on his latest run and he might just be able to nick a place.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 16:35 Naas: Beckett Rock, 12/1 Paddy Power, 0.5pt e/w Beckett Rock won at Limerick on December 29 last year, beating today's favourite, One In A Milan, by half a length. Since then he has run twice, finishing second at Thurles over 22f before running over today's distance at Punchestown where he tired late on, finishing seventh. His stamina is a small worry, although he has finished second over three miles before. The ground shouldn't be a problem. Ben Dalton is a decent young jockey and he takes off a valuable seven pounds.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February Fontwell 3.40 Topolski 9-1 (bog) Bet365 Although a big priced one, in an attempt to catch the runaway leader Aidymac, this is also a very solid proposition. Talented on the flat when effective in soft ground, this gelding quickly notched a treble in his first season culminating in a Grade 2 win at Aintree. He's run poorly both starts this season but the stable were badly out of sorts at the time and he also injured himself on his latest start. For those reasons I'm willing to put a line through both those runs and with the yard now back amongst the winners he's a great price to bounce back to his best on a track that should suit

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 2.30 Fontwell TRENCHANT @ 4/1 bog (Paddy Power) Small field but a very competitive Novices' Chase Class 2 over 2m6f. I always thought a lot of Trenchant as he is a very talented horse in my opinion and was always expecting something better coming soon this season. He is a former National Sprint winner so loves it here (was second in his only other start over hurdles at Fontwell in another Grade 2 behind Celestial Halo just one year ago) and with Alan King was very good winning 4 races in 14 starts over hurdles and among them twice a Grade 2. Changed hands few weeks ago after he had started his chasing career with Alan King this winter. With his new trainer Bob Buckler he won in super style at Lingfield and in my opinion there is plenty more to come from this quality front-runner as he was rated 149 over hurdles and is only rated 133 over fences at the moment. Sir Du Bearn is the main concern imho as the Paul Nicholls-trained horse looked open to a lot of improvements but still a talented horse and his last win in a very poor race came in good style. The horse is also entered for a couple of Festival novices so he has to be feared most but also the Nicky Henderson-trained Cucumber Run and the Emma Lavelle-trained Chariot Charger have similar official ratings (Emma Lavelle's horse is the best with 138) and are all good novices anyway I can see more improvements in Trenchant and at these prices I like to support his chances.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February Been waiting for this one to run over fences, as don't quite think hurdles is his game. Might come on for the experience but price reflects that and I'm willing to give it a go. Although backing chasing debutantes isn’t always the best policy, I’ve been waiting for GREAT HERO (15:50) to make his debut over fences, as I’ve always felt there was the potential for him to score a decent race over the bigger obstacles. He had been in OK form over timber before a poor effort last time, but he had excuses and could be on a decent mark on the pick of his form. Great Hero showed ability in bumpers before showing plenty more when turning out in handicap hurdles, not beaten far in his first three starts in 2011. His penultimate effort, when 4.5 lengths behind the winner in 4th off 1lb higher than his opening chase rating was a fair effort, especially as he looked that he could need another outing still to be shown at his best. The market seemingly reflected this next time when sent off 4/1 when last seen two months ago, but he encountered heavy ground and he never really looked happy, before a blunder 3 out effectively ended any chance. Even though it will be his first go over fences in public, he seems to have been schooled for the bigger obstacles for a few months now according to Richard Phillips blog and he should have had plenty of practice. A stiff test at this trip could suit based on how well he stayed on from the rear at Uttoxeter two starts ago, with the better ground definitely being in his favour, compared to last time anyway. Chasing may also suit as he hits a flat spot occasionally during his races and I just feel that the bigger obstacles will bring out the best in him, as he isn’t really a speedy horse and that shows when running over hurdles. He feels to me like the sort who can really improve for the introduction to fences and I’m willing to take a chance that he finally gets in front under rules on the first attempt at chasing. I think he has the potential to be rated in the 120’s not before too long and with plenty to suit today, I’m willing to take a chance that his jumping holds up. This isn’t a particularly strong heat, even though not much separates the field in terms of weight, with the Nigel-Twiston Davies favourite looking like a typical improver. Their yard isn’t in the best of form, and that one is probably worth opposing at its current price. I was expecting a single figure price about Great Hero so it is definitely pleasing to see an opening show of double figures, and he is definitely worth a chance here in what looks to me to be a winnable contest. Bets 15:50 Towcester – Great Hero; 1pts @ 16/1 BetVictor (bog)

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 2.35 Fontwell - Definite Dawn - He has placed in all of his chases (winning two) so far this season, running into 2nd last time out in a class 2 chase at Cheltenham. He has a lot more to do here today, being the lowest rated in this novice chase but may be better than his rating suggests. The trainer/jockey combo at Fontwell is running to 7 wins and 3 places for an L.S.P. of +4.37pts. 2.35 Fontwell: Definite Dawn - 0.5pts E/w @ 10/1 Bet365 (BOG)

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 4.45 - Fontwell - Spirit D'Amour @ 7/4 - Bet365 BOG I think that Spirit D'Amour is good enough to overcome a 10lb penalty and score again today. He won in impressive fashion at Huntingdon last time out when jumping confidently and Venitia Williams' 6yo looks like he has scope for improvement today, where he runs off the top weight with Aiden Coleman on board once more. No other obvious contenders for this one although Sircozy has slipped down the weights and has 5lb claimer Josh Moore on board Aiden Coleman on board once more and could provide the danger.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 2.35 Fontwell: Chariot Charger 1pt 100/30 Bet365 A once useful novice hurdler that had a few problems and now looks to be just as good over fences. Won at Uttoxeter on his comeback over 3 miles and not really sure he stayed that well despite winning. Stepped back markedly last time in a hot race and wasn't disgraced behind Michael Flips. This is an easier race than a handicap and should be up to winning in this grade.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 3.40 Fontwell - 1pt win Battle Group @ 10/1 (Hills) So many of these have to prove themselves at the trip, and if they don't get home here, the race soon falls apart. I couldn't back a horse at 6/4 who has never run over further than two miles before, and several others in the field have to prove themselves. Some also have to bounce back to form, including my selection, but at least David Pipe's runner will be happy at the trip. He won a valuable 3 mile handicap hurdle at Aintree last year, so will certainly get home today. Hasn't really repeated that form this season, but his chasing mission went all wrong (not enthusiastic, never took to the jumping). Still showed a little bit of ability despite his antics, and last time out at Cheltenham wouldn't have suited him. A very competitive handicap hurdle over 2 miles, he was beaten 11l in 10th, but does want further, and had to give a serious amount of weight away - not far off a stone to all those who finished ahead of him. This will suit much better, and I'll put my faith in him bouncing back.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February Off to Towcester today and I think Lawney Hill is going to have some success as she is 4 in 11 for hurdles at the track over the past 5 seasons. She hasn't had any chase or NHF winners, from 7, which eliminates Bad An Naughty in the flat race and just leaves Fiveways as her hurdle entrant. 4:25 Towcester - Fiveways Dougie Costello takes the ride. He has a very good record in hurdles of 4 in 9 hurdle races at the track over the past 5 seasons. The 9 year old has only raced six times and has won twice, although those wins were NHF. Has gained experience since and this is his first handicap race. Should cope the 3m run, as sire stats indicate and should at least gain a place position in this 18 runner event. 10/1 boylesports (bog) - ew

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February SEABASS - naas 16:05 13/8 bet 365 bog won 6 on the trot now , and beating a feild of 22 last time out at leop last time out at a big 7/1 . very classy horse and seems better than this feild . trainer doesnt send many out but seems to be ok . good booking with ruby on board , must go well

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 1455 naas 1 pt win rathlin 4/5 pp small field and ground to suit davy russell should be able to dictate pace and lead all the way with rathlin, shot from the hip poses a danger ,but rathlin is the selection

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 4:15 Fontwell - Barbers Shop - Back Used to be top class over fences and was even well fancied in the Gold Cup against Denman and Kauto Star. He's had a drop down the grades since then but now goes Hunter Chasing and should do well. Won on debut in this sphere lto and should follow up here 1pt win @ 1/2 VC BOG

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February

4.45 - Fontwell - Spirit D'Amour @ 7/4 - Bet365 BOG I think that Spirit D'Amour is good enough to overcome a 10lb penalty and score again today. He won in impressive fashion at Huntingdon last time out when jumping confidently and Venitia Williams' 6yo looks like he has scope for improvement today, where he runs off the top weight with Aiden Coleman on board once more. No other obvious contenders for this one although Sircozy has slipped down the weights and has 5lb claimer Josh Moore on board Aiden Coleman on board once more and could provide the danger.
Non-Runner Therefore i'm opting for: 4.15 - Fontwell - Barbers Shop @ 1/2 BetVictor Won on his return to action at Fakenham in style and although this race is slightly tougher, if he retains some of the ability he has shown in the past he should walk away with this one. The 10 yo from Nicky Hendersons yard was third in the King Goerge 3 years ago and should prove too good for his rivals today

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February POCKET ACES 3.10 Fontwell. 1 point win. Going to bounce back sooner rather than later, and if he finds his form today then he'll be very tough to beat off an ever dropping mark of 107. Trainer has the winning when he wants them to, so with the trip and ground fine, let's hope it's today. Race should be run to suit, too. 11/1 William Hill BOG

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February Spiritonthemount 3.20 Towcester. 1 point win. Weak looking race and several can be given chances, but I'm taking fitness on trust and thinking the race should be run to suit over this trip on this ground. Weighted to go well and at a decent price. Every chance. 12/1 Ladbrokes (bog)

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 4:25 Towcester: Award Winner 1pt win 11/2 Stan James Its eye catching that A P McCoy takes over today. Award Winner's last win was when the champ was in the plate and he has gone off at big prices since. The cheek pieces are also reapplied today and with Award Winner dropping back down the weights, a much better run looks likely today.

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 5:15 Whatsupjack @ Fontwell - Has ran in three point to point races the last of which it won back in November.Leighton Aspell takes the ride and has an excellent 27% strike rate in NHF races for the trainer Oliver Sherwood with a profit of +22.00.Sherwood is 2/3 at Fontwell in NHF giving him a 67% strike rate with a profit of +20.50.Can go close and hopefully win 1 pt Win @ 7/1 Bet365

Re: BBOTD Sunday 26th of February 5.15 Fontwell - Lombard Light e/w sp honeyballs seem to be fav no matter how good they are in bumpers these , Pipes keep hitting the crossbar with all his nhf runners finishing between 2nd-4th so going for Egertons runner here Related to bumper winner and grade 2 hurdle winnner Askanna so should be ready on debut (only real relative i could see ) . Egerton has a good s.r with bumpers here from 7 runners , 2 winners 1 2nd and a 3rd and when booking jockey mcarthy they are 1/1 here