Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin!

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! Well done SDS. I guess we won't be able to double, treble and acca up all of his mounts on the northern circuit at places like Catterick next season now but when he's bringing Fox Hunt to glory in the Yorkshire Cup I'll let him off!!

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin!

So who is going to be the next SDS this season? What jockey is going to be the new revelation on the Turf this season???
Darren Egan impressed me on the AW and may breakthrough. Otherwise, Willie Carson jnr should be one to follow again. Not sure if we will see another SDS though.

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! I'm not on the Darren Egan bandwagon yet, as he's only had four winners over here and has had quite a few rides where he has been caught out of position in my opinion. As for jockeys who could show a big increase in winners this year. If SDS is riding for Godolphin then presumably Joe Fanning will pick up more rides for Mark Johnston, so (given that he was injured for a few months last year), one would imagine that he will be able to build on his fantastic start to the year when the turf season starts. Probably won't be quite enough for him to challenge for the title though.

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! I think Luke Morris is really going to come of age on the Flat next season. I have been a big fan of his on the all-weather for some time, he gets his horses into good positions and is strong in the finish. He rides for a lot of the lower trainers, like Ron Harris and Michael Appleby on the AW but when the flat starts again he'll get some better rides for people like Clive Cox. Its worth remembering that he is a Group 1 winner too - on Gilt Edge Girl. He doesn't have a (5) or a (7) next to his name but you can mark up anything he rides by a couple of pounds. On the subject of claimers, Raul Da Silva will ride out his claim before the season is out as well and impressed me when winning on Medicean Man for Gask. Seems to have a lot of rides for Gask, possibly associated with that stable?

On the subject of claimers' date=' Raul Da Silva will ride out his claim before the season is out as well and impressed me when winning on Medicean Man for Gask. Seems to have a lot of rides for Gask, possibly associated with that stable?[/quote'] Indeed he is: http://www.horsesfirstracing.com/facilities_people/team.html

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! Great news for SDS. I actually thought he was going to get Richard Hills' job. Surprising that he took so long to accept the offer but I reckon the boys in blue are in for a very good season this year.

I think Luke Morris is really going to come of age on the Flat next season. I have been a big fan of his on the all-weather for some time, he gets his horses into good positions and is strong in the finish. He rides for a lot of the lower trainers, like Ron Harris and Michael Appleby on the AW but when the flat starts again he'll get some better rides for people like Clive Cox. Its worth remembering that he is a Group 1 winner too - on Gilt Edge Girl. He doesn't have a (5) or a (7) next to his name but you can mark up anything he rides by a couple of pounds. On the subject of claimers, Raul Da Silva will ride out his claim before the season is out as well and impressed me when winning on Medicean Man for Gask. Seems to have a lot of rides for Gask, possibly associated with that stable?
Agree with Luke Morris - been excellent on the AW and will no doubt pick up some higher profile rides this year. RDS is associated with the Gask stable, yes. Aidy - I think he has the potential and he had a cracking 2011 didnt he ? .. Not quite got into the same sort of form on the AW, but worth noting back on turf. Lots of jockeys who are coming through, but struggling to identify many that could be classed as top class IMO. Martin Lane, Kieran O Neill, Harry Bentley etc all have potential but don't IMO have the ability to become as good as Buick, Probert etc...

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! Luke Morris will definitely get better rides this season and we'll see what he can do. I rate him as well. Kind of happy that Joe Fanning will have his MJ job back, so used to seeing him ride those front running MJ handicappers. SDS is more suitable to the Godolphin job.

Egan looks good Steward.. How about Martin Harley?
I like him a lot big lad. Channon, Guest and McCabe were the main three he rode for last year he did well after he rode out his claim last year to keep banging in winners sure is one to keep an eye on booted home plenty of gambled on horses last year.

Didn't see that (hanagan) coming. Maybe all of the travelling' date=' to ride lots of handicappers and even platers, has taken its toll and he's opted for a job where the emphais will be more on quality not quantity.[/quote'] Agree Fintron - Hanagan has decided not to bother defending his title but to go for better horses instead. He's worked his socks off in the past couple of years so good luck to him (and SDS).

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! Mikeal Barzalona has now also signed too . Looks like they are both being groomed to take over Dettori , who I recon is preparing for retirement from race riding . When Frankie made his comeback from his plane crash he said he sees himself riding for another 10 yrs , that was 12 yrs ago. He may be considering a new career presenting Top of The Pops.

All this moving around what is happening with Durcan?? Has he left GoDolphin he was always good value on the slightly less favoured GoDolphin runners!
He has been retained by one of Sheikh Mohammed sons for well over a decade , through that connection he rides for Godolphin on occassions.

• 3 months later...

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! SDS is currently 0 winners from 58 rides. :( That is a shocking statistic when you consider just how well he was doing last season. He is currently 1-18 for Bin Suroor and 3-15 for Al Zarooni. His main supplier of winners is still Johnston and he is 13-98 for him. What the hell is going on with Godolphin? I've seen plenty of their horses recently at Doncaster and York and they have run bloody awful, not even competitive. Is it time to stop sending them to Dubai over the winter? Does this affect the horses in a negative way, the heat of Dubai followed by the freezing cold weather back over here? Bin Suroor has come in for criticism for ruining horses, it would be a damn shame if Godolphin also ruin the career of a very good up and coming jockey in SDS. He is on board Khawlah tomorrow if it runs, ran an absolute stinker under Dettori last time out. A competitive Godolphin would be good for racing and provide some competition to the O'Brien dominance but that whole operation needs a bloody big shake up.

SDS is currently 0 winners from 58 rides. :( That is a shocking statistic when you consider just how well he was doing last season. He is currently 1-18 for Bin Suroor and 3-15 for Al Zarooni. His main supplier of winners is still Johnston and he is 13-98 for him. What the hell is going on with Godolphin? I've seen plenty of their horses recently at Doncaster and York and they have run bloody awful' date=' not even competitive. Is it time to stop sending them to Dubai over the winter? Does this affect the horses in a negative way, the heat of Dubai followed by the freezing cold weather back over here? Bin Suroor has come in for criticism for ruining horses, it would be a damn shame if Godolphin also ruin the career of a very good up and coming jockey in SDS. He is on board Khawlah tomorrow if it runs, ran an absolute stinker under Dettori last time out. A competitive Godolphin would be good for racing and provide some competition to the O'Brien dominance but that whole operation needs a bloody big shake up.[/quote'] Agreed.......BIN SUROOR has a shocking record,especially with short priced FAVS,definitely the quickest way to the poor house backing BIN SUROOR on short uns:eyes Could be wrong.....but maybe GODOLPHIN just don't have the stallions to compete with COOLMORE,and SHEIKH MO seems reluctant to have anything that is SIRED by a COOLMORE stallion. SDS career certainly doesnt seem to be flourishing with GODOLPHIN,but i guess the retainer he has with them must be making him very wealthy and more than compensates for having an extra 50-70 winners of bog standard races up north @ £2000 throw,so i guess thats 7% of appox £100,000 to £150,000,which amounts to roughly £10,000,far less i would guess than the contract he has with GODOLPHIN.

Agreed.......BIN SUROOR has a shocking record,especially with short priced FAVS,definitely the quickest way to the poor house backing BIN SUROOR on short uns:eyes Could be wrong.....but maybe GODOLPHIN just don't have the stallions to compete with COOLMORE,and SHEIKH MO seems reluctant to have anything that is SIRED by a COOLMORE stallion. SDS career certainly doesnt seem to be flourishing with GODOLPHIN,but i guess the retainer he has with them must be making him very wealthy and more than compensates for having an extra 50-70 winners of bog standard races up north @ £2000 throw,so i guess thats 7% of appox £100,000 to £150,000,which amounts to roughly £10,000,far less i would guess than the contract he has with GODOLPHIN.
The stallion issue is exactly what Whoneedsrio mentioned to me recently at the races. They won't use the Coolmore stallions but don't have the Montjeu/Galileo class stallions that keep churning out Group 1 winners for O'Brien. Their big Derby hope ran in the Dante and drifted to a good price but I should have seen the drift as a negative, it ran a stinker too and was awful, beaten a way out. I've seen plenty that I haven't backed so I'm not talking out of my pocket, I realised my pockets would be empty backing their runners a while back but I've kept a keen eye on them. They have often left York and Donny with a winner or two but the races I've seen recently they haven't even been close. Someone on Twitter said their 3 year olds have had a setback and won't be seen until the 2nd half of the season, that's all well and good but in a classic season all the major races are front end such as the Guineas and the Derby. Maybe they'll have horses for the Leger and the Arc?

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! The Godolphin saga always intrigues me. I take your point about not using the Coolmore sires but I thought they put that behind them a few years ago? Off the top of my head they have a few horse like Alkimos (High Chapparral), Silent Moment (Giants Causeway), Start Right (Footstepsinthesand) from the Coolmore line. Either way they spend a fortune on bloodstock so it shouldn't stop them winning plenty of maidens and group races. Al Zarooni has been particularly disappointing this season after doing so well last year. SBS doesn't even have a runner at Ascot tomorrow. Out of curiosity I took the trainer stats for the season and sorting it by win percentage just shows how poorly they have been doing. SBS is in 40th place (13 winners from 88 runners) and Al Zarooni is in 44th (13 from 91). Even the likes of Roger Varian who has probably made a slow start can still manage (21 from 101).

Re: Silvestre De Sousa signs for Godolphin! The run by Farhh yesterday suggested a possible return to form and then they go and get the 1-2 in the Gold Cup. Saddler's Rock probably the one to take from the race, wouldn't settle off a crawl of a pace but ran very well. It will be interesting to see if their form picks up now, still want to see SDS getting better rides too.