EURO 2012 - Outright Winner & Top Goalscorer

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: EURO 2012 - Outright Winner & Top Goalscorer

1pt M.Ozil Player of the Tournament 14/1 Bodog 1pt A.Pirlo Player of the Tournament 80/1 William Hill

It’s not very often I look at backing favourites in markets like this but I do quite like Ozil as a player and he could well impress during the group stages and should he pop up with a couple of goals then he could well be right in the mix. Ozil was the joint leader for assists in qualifying and not even Lionel Messi or Xavi could match his number of assists in La Liga this season so at 14/1 I think Ozil has a strong claim.

I don’t watch a huge amount of Serie A but the bits I have watched Pirlo has been very much a catalyst in the success of the Juve side and if the Italians are to have a good tournament you would think someone with his class, quality and experience is sure to go well and will need to go well. This could well be Pirlo’s swansong on the international stage and at 80/1 it is worth seeing if he goes out with a bang. Full preview here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/euro-2012-betting--mesut-ozil-is-a-worthy-favourite-to-be-the-player-of-the-tournament

CRACKING BET!! If Pirlo get's Italy to the final, i think he wins this bet after tonight's performance!!!

Re: EURO 2012 - Outright Winner & Top Goalscorer Any idea how the topscorer bets are decided in the event of a draw? Dead heat rules apply apparently according to some bookies then again I'm hearing rumors that assists will be used to find a winner.:unsure

i know they won it but thats disgraceful. pirlo was head and shoulders above all others at the tournament Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
My thoughts exactly. To be fair to the Racing Post, they pretty much predicted that this would happen.
WITH two of the most technically gifted international sides of the decade squaring off in Sunday's Euro 2012 showpiece in Kiev, it's no surprise that the favourites for player of the tournament are from finalists Spain and Italy. Andrea Pirlo is the 4-5 favourite to be named the best player in the competition after a stellar tournament driving the Azzurri in a way only he could. He's followed by the Spanish midfield master Andres Iniesta at 7-2. Despite the Juventus midfielder being seen as the favourite, Italy are 6-4 outsiders for glory going into the game with Spain 4-7 favourites. However, the last four winners of the award have all been on tournament-winning sides, including the likes of Zinedine Zidane and most recently Spain's Xavi , who hasn't had as much of an impact for the Spanish this time round. That means Pirlo could need Italy to win for him to be given the award.

I never read the RP article,but this doesn't surprise me tbh. I don't agree that the 'Player of the tournament' should be from the winning nation. That being the case,I would have Cassilas above Iniesta,but the worthy winner was Pirlo,no doubt about it. Unlucky Kevshat :(

My thoughts exactly. To be fair to the Racing Post' date=' they pretty much predicted that this would happen.[/quote'] while the post predicted that it has to be pointed out that forlan was given player of the tournament at the world cup despite exiting the tournament in the semi finals so it would hardly be going against the grain to have given it to the most deserving player and we all know that was pirlo Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Kev was robbed' date=' it is a complete joke. Iniesta has 1 superb game in the tournament and he gets the award.. Pirlo has 4 terrific displays and doesn't![/quote'] I mentioned Iniesta to Kev as a danger to his Pirlo bet as he actually got 2 MOM awards already which I think were in the group games. I thought Xavi was better than Iniesta last night but he still gets player of the tournament over Pirlo anyway. Unlucky Kev, time to start laying some of your bets off? Or at least part stakes?

Re: EURO 2012 - Outright Winner & Top Goalscorer I knew Iniesta was a danger going into the final when I saw how short he was in the betting before the final because for me until then by his standards he'd only had an ordinary tournament. Someone obviously sees something I don't where he is concerned because I thought Xavi was a lot better than him last night yet Iniesta was the man of the match in the final. If you look at key contribution stats both Xavi and Silva were ahead of Iniesta so it does baffle me a bit that he was named player of the tournament with just two assists and even his assist last night wasn't the final touch sort of assist. Although I'd had blue tinted specs on for the week I thought Pirlo was the player who made the biggest contribution to his team's lengthy run in the tournament which I think a player of the tournament award is about. Not to be. As for laying bets off I've gone back through loads and loads of outright bets from the last few years and the amount that actually lose prior to the payout is such a low percentage that I would long term be losing money by laying off so while I understand why anyone would do it and have no problem with those who do at the minute it's not something I'll be doing anytime soon. Even if I was someone who would have layed off I probably wouldn't have layed this off anyway because I thought it would have taken more than one decent pass in the final to deny Pirlo. Such is life :sad.

Re: EURO 2012 - Outright Winner & Top Goalscorer Pirlo got MOTM in 3 games Iniesta got MOTM in 3 games Iniesta got MOTM in the final - that was the most important game and it seems logical that he therefore was player of the tournament. Pirlo was extremely poor in the final, and if you disagree, go back and watch it again. Having said all that, I feel for Kevshat, and hope he had a few quid on the only person who could have denied Pirlo. Also, critically, Iniesta got 2 of his in games against Italy so that's one-upmanship of the highest order. @ Brooke - Which was the 4th superb game by Pirlo btw ?

I knew Iniesta was a danger going into the final when I saw how short he was in the betting before the final because for me until then by his standards he'd only had an ordinary tournament. Someone obviously sees something I don't where he is concerned because I thought Xavi was a lot better than him last night yet Iniesta was the man of the match in the final. If you look at key contribution stats both Xavi and Silva were ahead of Iniesta so it does baffle me a bit that he was named player of the tournament with just two assists and even his assist last night wasn't the final touch sort of assist. Although I'd had blue tinted specs on for the week I thought Pirlo was the player who made the biggest contribution to his team's lengthy run in the tournament which I think a player of the tournament award is about. Not to be. As for laying bets off I've gone back through loads and loads of outright bets from the last few years and the amount that actually lose prior to the payout is such a low percentage that I would long term be losing money by laying off so while I understand why anyone would do it and have no problem with those who do at the minute it's not something I'll be doing anytime soon. Even if I was someone who would have layed off I probably wouldn't have layed this off anyway because I thought it would have taken more than one decent pass in the final to deny Pirlo. Such is life :sad.
I am the same, generally only lay off if I think the lay price is value. Otherwise, long-term you will be losing money from laying off. Best to think of them as two separate bets...would you lay the selection if you never had placed the original bet? If the answer's no, let it ride. The Pirlo bet was excellent value, and you've got to try and be unemotional and think that if you keep picking value the winners will come. Easy for me to say though, when I haven't just missed out on a 80/1 shot which should have rightfully come in.

I didn't actually say he had 4 superb games - but I did think overall he was better in each game, and he gave much more to his team. You could say; how would Spain have coped without Iniesta compared to how Italy would have coped without Pirlo... You may disagree which is fair enough, but I thought Pirlo was pretty damn decent in every game he played. Iniesta was OK but I don't think anybody thought he was player of the tournament before the final. Versus Spain before they were down to 10 he was immense, just a shame that when they were a man short they couldn't stay with the pace of Spain. Iniesta wasn't looking so good before then, and I wouldn't say he had 3 amazing games. The teams Spain had played before they saw Portugal in the semi wasn't great (with the exception of Italy who they drew with and Iniesta was barely in the game by and large). Fair play to Iniesta I am not about to say he was totally undeserving - but on the balance of the whole tournament, I would still have gone with Pirlo and did feel slightly aggrieved for him - especially in the manner of the defeat to Spain. Once they were 2-0 down and then a man short it was just a case of how many more Spain would get. But that's the story of the tournament for me - Torres getting the Golden boot when Dzagoev / Gomez / Mandzukic were all more deserving, and then Iniesta getting Player Of The Tournament when it should have been (in my eyes) Pirlo. Harsh but that's football. Fair play if you thought Iniesta actually was better though, we all have rights to a differing opinion. He wasn't half bad either :)
I see you didn't mean to quote my post but I agree with you, it should have gone to Pirlo.

Re: EURO 2012 - Outright Winner & Top Goalscorer Yeah, unlucky with that bet Kev. I personaly thought Iniesta was the standout player of the tournament so, for me, it was always going to go to one of the 2 and would all depend on who won.

I am the same, generally only lay off if I think the lay price is value. Otherwise, long-term you will be losing money from laying off. Best to think of them as two separate bets...would you lay the selection if you never had placed the original bet? If the answer's no, let it ride. The Pirlo bet was excellent value, and you've got to try and be unemotional and think that if you keep picking value the winners will come. Easy for me to say though, when I haven't just missed out on a 80/1 shot which should have rightfully come in.
Agree completely on both counts mate.

Re: EURO 2012 - Outright Winner & Top Goalscorer Pirlo was a good shout for player of the tourny @80/1. Iniesta was arguably the best player on Spain though there were some unsung heroes like Alba, Ramos, Casillas, Silva and Fabregas. I took De Rossi @80/1 as well and I thought he had an excellent tournament perhaps better than Pirlo considering how much defensive work he put in and he was one fo the few Italians that had a decent final. Pirlo sees so much of the ball and is the center piece of Italy's attacks so he was the favorite had Italy won or even lost on penalties or in ET.

• 5 months later...

Can't see Lewandowski being top scorer or anywere near it despite him being a good goalscorer and in good form for Dortmund. Poland have only managed 11 goals in there last 10 friendlies so don't see them scoring a hat full of goals. The furthest they can reach IMO is the quarter finals so he would have to score all of Polands goals to be in with a chance

Can't see Lewandowski being top scorer or anywere near it despite him being a good goalscorer and in good form for Dortmund. Poland have only managed 11 goals in there last 10 friendlies so don't see them scoring a hat full of goals. The furthest they can reach IMO is the quarter finals so he would have to score all of Polands goals to be in with a chance

Aren't you a bit late :lol