Players Notes

NorthernRed2

Re: Players Notes Hi Northern. You must make notes on anyone that you're playing for future reference. It was Jez that posted about it and his story proves exactly why. Online you need as much help as you can get to find tells on the other players. Jezza's example was based on where the player originated from and he used his knowledge of the style of poker that country plays (aggressive Scandinavians) to help him make his decision to call and win the pot. I tend to make notes on how people play - aggressive, tight, good, bad, ugly, all-in merchants, slowplay, etc. I also make notes of certain plays that players make regularly - an amount a player raises everytime if he's got AK or a low pair, etc. If and when I play them again, I'll have that small advantage of looking for the similar signals that I've seen before to help me play them.

Re: Players Notes Poker - what a game. I don't agree Wayne. I never make notes on a player as I play the hand based on the playing styles that I have seen from that player THAT night. Here are the reasons why. a) Mood - play me one night and I will be playing tight and listening to music and chilling. Play me another night and I will be aggressive and challenging. b) Stakes - my play differs slightly based on the stakes. c) Tourney or Cash - again my gameplay is different. d) Company - all depends if I consider it a friendly game or not (silly but true). e) Booze - sometimes I drink when I play. Sometimes I don't. Are you playing Jeckle or Hyde???? In conclusion you can all take notes on me as it will do you no good. :ok

Re: Players Notes Yeah but you are one person of millions. There are alot out there who DO play the same night in night out. Some quite common ones you may notice are beginners who will bet the strength of their hand. eg ..... flop K 10 4 ....... Pot is 5 dollars, bet 5 means a king, bet 3 means a 10, bet 1 means a 4. Some peopel consistently do this and its worth noticing who. Some people also consistently raise with certain hands, and a certain amount. Some people will also put small bets in when they are drawing hands, as "pot builders" I find notes can be very helpful. You can also establish who the donators are follow them about :lol

Re: Players Notes If that is what works for you Alien then fair play. I have to say if you applied that science against me you would come unfcuked quickly. Last night I had AA. I raise $5. The flop comes A, 7, 2 (all off suit - no danger of a straight or flush). I raise $1 (feining weakness and trying to look like I'm bluffing the pot). The last man goes all in at $80 or so (he buys my ploy) Thannnnnnnk Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. :nana :nana I play the man ON THE NIGHT - not on his past play or reputation. My play / aggression varies from night to night anyway (to a degree). This isn't a weakness (variable play) - it is my strength. I believe I am hard to read. :\

Re: Players Notes And strangely enough Gett1n, my notes on you say 'good player, unpredictable and hard to read' (amongst the insults ;) ). So I know something about you when I sit down. If we weren't PLers, you wouldn't have a clue about me. Surely that's the whole point. If I sit down and I have notes on some of the players, I'll read my notes and watch how they're playing. If I spot the same patterns emerging again from the previous time(s) I've played them, I'll note it down again and use that to my advantage. I'd never sit down first hand and go all-in against someone because he once bluffed a massive pot by check-raising me and he MUST be trying to do it again now. In the same way that you wouldn't when playing live. There are a lot of players that play the same way all of the time. There are also a lot of players that play differently, not just every night but also during the night. These are the players who'll take your money and if my notes are telling me 'aggresive' from one night and then 'tight' from another, I know I've probably got a good player on my hands and need to be wary of how he's betting. If my notes say 'aggresive' from every time I've played him, then I have the advantage of being able to watch for the same pattern emerging which is probably more often than you think it is. As with everything, it's each to his own but I reckon you need to take advantage of everything you can online and the notes have payed me off handsomely in the past. They're not just for reminding yourself that I'm a ****** you know! :rollin

Re: Players Notes Hi Northern, Yep using the note facility is a good habit to get into and will definately help you in the long run. You don't need to write essays on each player. Just the important stuff....If you see someone flopping a great hand (top set say) and betting it hard the whole way then you can put that in his notes as it makes it easy for you to dump anything but the best hands when he comes out firing next time. Similarly if someone is constantly bluffing then you can put that in their notes and next time you won't respect their bets too much. At a basic level if you can just stick in the notes who is a good player and who is bad you can just get out of the way of the good players unless you have a good hand and tangle with the bad ones. As alien says if you take it to another level and start to get a bit more serious with your notes you can find out some funny things. People do constantly give away the strength of their hands like alien says etc etc. There is a guy who plays on ladbrokes called MrSilver - if he bets small than I guarantee if you put in a decent raise no matter what you have he will fold. If he bets decent then just fold as he likes his hand! Jez

Re: Players Notes I have a good amount of respect for what you do for a living Jez so i find it hard to argue against you. Maybe it works against players who don't mix it up (?) but I stand by what I said to Alien. You can make (I hope you do) lots of notes about me as you will come unstuck in a heads up if you do. I change my play all the time to keep my game fresh and enjoy the play.

Re: Players Notes Yeah GETT1N - I have to agree with what alien said. Not everyone deliberately mixes up their play like you do and you can seriously take advantage of that with the player notes. I like to try and disguise my play by making it unreadable. For example if I am going to bluff/semi-bluff/bet for value no matter what always betting/raising the same amount (the size of the pot). That way no-one can pick off what I hold from my bet amounts. At the very least if someone is totally unpredicatable you can at least put down if they are generally a good or bad player in the notes. I would say on average you want to get out of a good players way when he bets far more than a bad one and you at least know if you want to tangle with them or not. Nice play with the AA btw GETT1N - what did the other guy have? Jez