Has Poker Stars gone mad

Haichan

I haven't played on poker stars for a few months. Played my first tourney today in a 5K freezeout. In the first 30 mins almost every hand was an all in including such wonderful hands as K7 off and Q6. Is this now the norm on poker stars. Never really liked their late registration, but if its now full of maniacs then will stick to my regular sites.

Re: Has Poker Stars gone mad I'm afraid it's across poker in general and not limited to stars. I don't want to be too sterotypical, but the average Russian appears happy to bingo any 2 early on to build up a stack. Sadly (for us) they often suck out even if you call with AA or KK and sadly (for them) they don't appear to then know what to do with the chips when they get them. Just need to adjust and use your edge, but yeah sad times :unsure

Re: Has Poker Stars gone mad It seems worse on stars. Just lost 1010 to a guy from belarus who had been pushing with lots of crap and had A3off and hit his Ace. Problem with using edge is that with the small starting stacks, you can only wait so long before you need to make some moves.

Re: Has Poker Stars gone mad This is poker. Not to bleat on too much but you should be delighted with this imo - the more bad players the better. You just need to adjust accordingly and make sure you get chips early on so that you can then take advantage of these bad players pushing crap - you need to get yourself a stack that can withold the odd bad beat. I agree a little frustrating but this is poker.

Re: Has Poker Stars gone mad

This is poker. Not to bleat on too much but you should be delighted with this imo - the more bad players the better. You just need to adjust accordingly and make sure you get chips early on so that you can then take advantage of these bad players pushing crap - you need to get yourself a stack that can withold the odd bad beat. I agree a little frustrating but this is poker.
Andy, This isn't poker. It may be how the online game is now being played on stars, but it is changing the game into no different than roulette. When almost every other hand is an all in at 15/30 blinds, it is changing the way you can play. I had always been taught that you should play tight aggressive early in a freezeout. However the number of these guys playing all in early means you either play it like a rebuy or you wait for a big hand and push. This means the skill factor is reduced and you are even more at the whim of variance. For whatever reason this style of play seem more prevelent now on stars than other sites. I am used to people pushing with crap in middle,late stages and I agree this can give you an edge. However when its happening at the first level it changes the whole dynamics of the game and not in my view for the best

Re: Has Poker Stars gone mad In tournament play, there are two kinds of variance, which I think are often confused and have very little to do with one another. There's "chip stack variance": the amount your chip stack fluctuates during the the tournament. The players who make massive overbet shoves early on certainly increase this if you're willing (as you should be) to call them when you're comfortably ahead of their range. Then there's "bankroll variance": the amount your bankroll fluctuates over a series of tournaments. The "early shovers" don't affect this very much: they just cause you to get eliminated earlier when you don't run good, but because they're giving you lots of massively +EV opportunities early on, they increase the chance that you'll build a big stack early. In a way, "chip stack variance" is good variance: it means you waste less time on average on the tournaments where you don't cash.

• 11 months later...