Charlie Hall Chase

Weird Al is the value. Good young horse whose reputation suffered last term as a result of breathing problems and a burst blood vessel at the Festival. If he's back to somewhere near his best he'll be competitive for his new yard. Watching the action at Wetherby the turf looks to be kicking up a bit - especially on the deeper part of the track - for genuine good going. Cut will suit Weird Al. He has to find a little on the ratings - but he's open to improvement. Diamond Harry - has to prove fitness and comeback from injury. Time For Rupert - great reputation but lightly raced and stepping up to Graded company. Most winners of this have already won a Graded chase. Poquelin - untried and unproven at the trip. Nacarat - getting on and giving weight all round. Chicago Grey - short of this class. Weird Al is the one for me - worth betting each-way at the 14s with Hills. If the ground has cut - all the better. I'm a new poster. So hello to all.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase Welcome. I've been looking forward to this, obviously, being a massive fan of TFR. He's never been the best fresh, but Webber will have him tuned up for this I'm sure - considering it's a big race to be returning for. He'll be fitter than if he went for a low-key return so that shouldn't be much of a problem. Won his two novice chases at Cheltenham very well indeed, with the form working out well from them. The festival run was a cracker considering his infection hadn't cleared up. He never travelled or jumped, but still made ground up to only be beaten 6l. He jumped really well in his novice races, which obviously allow a bit more time over the flights, but that's not a concern for me. The track is a slight worry though. He loves it around Cheltenham and every race last year was at the track. Whether Wetherby will allow him to use his stamina to full effect is unknown with the ground not too testing. He's not a bridle horse, but he stays very well and loves to forge clear up a run-in. Hopefyully they'll go a good tempo with Nacarat in the race and it'll allow Rupert to get into a good rhythm. I think he's definitely good enough to win this, but I won't be piling on. So long as he returns fit and well, and puts in a promising showing, win or defeat, I think he's capable of having a very successful year.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase I agree with your assessment BFR and I backed Time for Rupert earlier in the week. Thought he was a great each way shot at the early prices. He was many people's banker of the festival and had a valid excuse. Nacarat is the one I fear most as this appears to have been his main target. Should be a cracking race.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase My thoughts at the start of the week...Nacarat has ended up a touch shorter !! - Hopefully, should get a good run but fear one (or two) of the younger brigade...should be a good race 3:20 Wetherby: Nacarat 1pt win 7/1 William Hill There are some very interesting contenders lining up for this Grade 2 Chase, however, some may just have an eye on later in the season, whereas Nacarat will be primed and ready to go. Nacarat apart from one error put in a solid round of jumping last year and if he gets loose on the lead he will take some catching this time around even though it looks a better renewal. Nacarat goes well fresh and this is a race that the same horses seem to run well in year after year. Although there are several that could improve past Nacarat, Diamond Harry, Midnight Chase and Time for Rupert to name but three, they all have at least half a question mark against them. The 7/1 about Nacarat looks more than fair and is likely to be shorter Saturday.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase Interesting that he drifted from his overnight price before being withdrawn quite late in the day. The perils of short-price ante-post punting strike again. A nice little bonus though for those punters who took prices as big as 14s about Weird Al and/or Chicago Grey - some nice little bets to nothing going into the race now.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase Weird Al's a bleeder, so might be best off catching him fresh, so I'd be slightly concerned with him running in the Henessey. Although those problems might be behind him, could well be worth only running him a couple of times before Cheltenham.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase

Weird Al's a bleeder' date=' so might be best off catching him fresh, so I'd be slightly concerned with him running in the Henessey. Although those problems might be behind him, could well be worth only running him a couple of times before Cheltenham.[/quote'] Think your 100% correct here. 2 easy-ish races, then on to Cheltenham. Extremely classy horse.

Weird Al is the value. Good young horse whose reputation suffered last term as a result of breathing problems and a burst blood vessel at the Festival. If he's back to somewhere near his best he'll be competitive for his new yard. Watching the action at Wetherby the turf looks to be kicking up a bit - especially on the deeper part of the track - for genuine good going. Cut will suit Weird Al. He has to find a little on the ratings - but he's open to improvement. Diamond Harry - has to prove fitness and comeback from injury. Time For Rupert - great reputation but lightly raced and stepping up to Graded company. Most winners of this have already won a Graded chase. Poquelin - untried and unproven at the trip. Nacarat - getting on and giving weight all round. Chicago Grey - short of this class. Weird Al is the one for me - worth betting each-way at the 14s with Hills. If the ground has cut - all the better. I'm a new poster. So hello to all.
Great winner.. And :welcome

Welcome to PL :clap

Re: Charlie Hall Chase Weird Al will probably confirm form with Time For Rupert if they meet again, but the thing with him is, can he reproduce it? If he was mine I'd rest him and go straight to Cheltenham. Saying that TFR looked burly. Will be interesting what he does nto. I expect massive improvement. That 16/1 at WH isn't a bad bet for the GC.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase I think TFR will come on plenty for the run. The pair of them slaughtered the rest of a good field (even if there were possible excuses). I think he's 16 on Betfair for the Betfair Chase, which looks very fair to me. Behind Long Run, the market is very open. It was a very sweet performance from Weird Al, but I reckon it could be a different story if they met again in more testing conditions. The fact that the Gold Cup is run under just about perfect conditions for TFR in regards to trip and track, always gives me hope. He's not got a good record fresh in particular either. Was beaten 9l (NHF) and 63l in his two seasonal returns before last year, where he was under pressure for quite a long way before asserting. He was better on his second start, and I expect it to be a similar story this season so it was actually a good effort. 3 miles around Wetherby on good ground was never going to be totally ideal, given he's more about power and stamina than speed. He did jump well on the whole though, and has the ability to put himself right where necessary. A perfectly good return to action, and I will side with him again should the 1-2 from today meet once more...

I think TFR will come on plenty for the run. The pair of them slaughtered the rest of a good field (even if there were possible excuses). I think he's 16 on Betfair for the Betfair Chase, which looks very fair to me. Behind Long Run, the market is very open. It was a very sweet performance from Weird Al, but I reckon it could be a different story if they met again in more testing conditions. The fact that the Gold Cup is run under just about perfect conditions for TFR in regards to trip and track, always gives me hope. He's not got a good record fresh in particular either. Was beaten 9l (NHF) and 63l in his two seasonal returns before last year, where he was under pressure for quite a long way before asserting. He was better on his second start, and I expect it to be a similar story this season so it was actually a good effort. 3 miles around Wetherby on good ground was never going to be totally ideal, given he's more about power and stamina than speed. He did jump well on the whole though, and has the ability to put himself right where necessary. A perfectly good return to action, and I will side with him again should the 1-2 from today meet once more...
Time for Rupert will certainly come on for the run, but I do feel that Weird Al is the better horse. However, if they met again, as Milen says, could you trust Weird Al to run up to his best again ? Would have to be a price dictates race, as wouldn't be too keen in getting involved in Weird Al at any short prices. I suspect if they meet again, it won't be till Cheltenham though. Think I heard today that Weird Al is going Hennessey where as I believe TFR is being/will be aimed at Haydock ?

Time for Rupert will certainly come on for the run, but I do feel that Weird Al is the better horse. However, if they met again, as Milen says, could you trust Weird Al to run up to his best again ? Would have to be a price dictates race, as wouldn't be too keen in getting involved in Weird Al at any short prices. I suspect if they meet again, it won't be till Cheltenham though. Think I heard today that Weird Al is going Hennessey where as I believe TFR is being/will be aimed at Haydock ?
Yeah TFR is going to Haydock. That's another thing you get with him, he's very consistent. You're likely to get a run for your money. This is what I love about NH racing especially, so many opinions and I just cannot wait for the big races to come. Certainly not been put off by Rupert's effort today in his bid for the Gold Cup. There's a long way to go until March so anything can happen, but so long as he has a good prep, he's a sound enough e/w bet I think.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase I think TFR will reverse form over the season. Although watching on TV, he looked huge and just seemed to tire when beginning to assert. Obviously there are bigger targets to be won. Think Weird Al was probably flattered. Nacarat was conceding weight and is ten now, and the fact he dueled with TFR for the lead probably made things worse for both of them. Thought TFR was impressive when he had most on the stretch. Chicago Grey needs a much longer trip so not surprised to see him readily outpaced, Poquelin always throws in a bad one. Very good ride on Weird Al though.

Re: Charlie Hall Chase Loved Paul Nicholls' Betfair column today. Poquelin - "I'm happy with him and he goes best when fresh. But there is clearly a stamina doubt at his first attempt over the trip. If he does stay, then I can see him being an each-way possible for the Gold Cup; he is a high class horse." :lol