Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix

kevshat

The quirky double in double finish format returns on Monday 3rd October as the game's top stars head over to Ireland for the World Grand Prix. Despite the short early format it's always a good betting heat with some decent dosh to be won and we've got plenty of arrers punters on it now who I'm sure will do just that. All outright bets and match bets in this thread but just a reminder to use the livescore thread for in play chats :ok.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix One outright for me at the minute. Will strengthen my 'team' nearer the time but I have to get on this now because I can see him being popular. 1pt ew J.Part to win World Grand Prix 80/1 Stan James (1/2 1-2) Aside from the obvious three or four players, there hasn't been a better player in the tour events all year than John Part. The Canadian has won three events this year as he has really found his form again and it's good to see because we know how good this bloke is when he's throwing proper arrers. The only thing lacking in Part's year has been a TV run but if he keeps chucking his darts the way he has that's only a matter of time. To be fair to him he's had some rotten draws in the TV majors. I'll forgive him the Laursen loss in the World Championship because he turned up to that with flu. In the Matchplay he hit a 9 dart finish but walked into an in form Webster and then a week later in Germany he walked into Peter Wright who went on to make the quarter finals and wasn't far off the semi finals. As well as 3 wins on tour this year, Part has made another final, three semi finals and half a dozen quarter finals. That's ultra consistency and in fact in his last four tournaments at the time of writing he's gone winner, QF, RU, SF. That's excellent form no matter what your name is. He's got a bit of a stinker of a first round in Adrian Lewis but if he can come past him the draw opens up. If this was the Matchplay or Worlds and he had this draw I'd probably ignore it but over a best of 3 sets with double off and end with the way Johnny Part pins that D16 when he's in form, I'll take my chances. If he beats Lewis the draw opens right up. It will be Jones or Dolan in the last 16 and one of Newton, Lloyd, Pipe and Henderson in the QFs. The only thing that will scare him there is the thought of standing behind Justin Pipe while he takes a day and three quarters to throw his three darts :lol. In the form Part is in he should not be 80/1 and if he sees off the defending world champion in the opening round this 80/1 will look a fantastic price very quickly. It's the Canadian for me this week.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix not sure which competition i am watching at but was watching darts on bet365 today and i must say andy hamliton is shocking . He was up big time a couple of times and he allowed his opponents to come back and win the game . Not once but twice , once he was 4-0 up and nearly became 5-0 and lost 6-5 , the other one he was up 3-0 and lost 6-4 . Is he participating in this tourney ? If yes i wanna lay him . I doubt he will go far based on his poor performances i saw today .

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix

not sure which competition i am watching at but was watching darts on bet365 today and i must say andy hamliton is shocking . He was up big time a couple of times and he allowed his opponents to come back and win the game . Not once but twice , once he was 4-0 up and nearly became 5-0 and lost 6-5 , the other one he was up 3-0 and lost 6-4 . Is he participating in this tourney ? If yes i wanna lay him . I doubt he will go far based on his poor performances i saw today .
I think the Internet streamed champions league or something is on at the moment... And also think the hammer will be in the grand Prix.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Looks overrated to me . Everytime i see him play , i'll wait for him to be up a little bit . Then i'll take the opposition :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin Think he's good laying material though . Hope he's going :nana:nana:nana:nana:nana

I think the Internet streamed champions league or something is on at the moment... And also think the hammer will be in the grand Prix.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Good afternoon guys,I have used Punters Lounge for almost 2 years now as a very helpful guide.I think it's time to pay back PL with some tips of my own.I will be arriving at CityWest hotel Dublin later this evening and will try and get a feel of things. In the past I have tended to get chatting to a lot of the players at the hotel bar.Hopefully my fondness for a pint of Guinness or 10 might make money for a change

Good afternoon guys,I have used Punters Lounge for almost 2 years now as a very helpful guide.I think it's time to pay back PL with some tips of my own.I will be arriving at CityWest hotel Dublin later this evening and will try and get a feel of things. In the past I have tended to get chatting to a lot of the players at the hotel bar.Hopefully my fondness for a pint of Guinness or 10 might make money for a change
:welcome Darts and cricket are very popular here on 'other sports', the more input the better chance we all have of getting some over the bookies! I'm more of a follower than tipster and can safely say the guys on here know their stuff!

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix hi guys im back and have to say that the GP whilst probabaly not being in the same stature as the PL, Matchplay or WC or even The GSOD, i reckon it is a good indicator of form for the WC in December, remember last years GP when Lewis was 4-2 down to Taylor in the Semi final and produced what i can only describe as the biggest licking i've seen Taylor get in the last 15 years, he was incandescant in coming back to win. THAT one result for me was the catalyst to Lewis becoming WC, he gained so much from that night, in self belief, confidence, bottle and thats why the GPO for me is worth studying i have to say i have not been following the darts thsi year but that will change for the GSOD and the WC, don't woryy you can rely on the old master to be back to bloody the bookies noses. PS i have to concur with Kev regulars here know that for me Part is class and his results this year prove the old syaing to be bang on "FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT" goodluck to all

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix One more outright. There will be another one but I'll come back with that tomorrow. 1pt M.Hylton to win 2nd Quarter 25/1 Betfred In this format I was always going to attack the quarter which Gary Anderson was in but as luck would have it one of the men who I think is hugely underrated in the PDC is in this quarter and at this price I'm more than happy to take 'Mile High' here. We've seen in events like the World Championship and the UK Open that the big stage doesn't bother him. We also saw in those events how heavily he can score and generally he's been pretty good on his doubles too. As well as his heavy scoring I like his relaxed attitude to darts but his dedicated attitude at the same time. He may never make the top echelons of the game but there's certainly potential in him to do some damage over the short format here. Remembering that no match in the quarter is longer than 7 sets I think Hylton would have every chance. He can score with most, maybe not Anderson but he's certainly not a million miles behind Anderson at the same time. With his scoring power though if Hylton hits his doubles to start regularly then there's no reason why he can't go relatively deep in this event. At 25/1 I'm happy to pay to see how far he goes.

Monday 3 October 2011Player 1 Player 2BPP
maximize.gifDolan, B v Jones, W (19:00 BST) 3.25 1.43 100.70 %
maximize.gifPipe, J v Henderson, J (19:30 BST) 2 2.1 97.62 %
maximize.gifvan der Voort, V v Painter, K (20:00 BST) 2 2 100.00 %
maximize.gifNewton, W v Lloyd, C (20:30 BST) 1.5 3.05 99.45 %
maximize.gifLewis, A v Part, J (21:00 BST) 1.44 3.25 100.00 %
maximize.gifWade, J v Brown, Steve (21:30 BST) 1.31 4.1 100.73 %
maximize.gifVan Barneveld, R v King, M (22:00 BST) 1.5 2.87 101.45 %
maximize.gifO'Connor, W v Smith, A (22:30 BST) 2.62 1.62 99.82 %
Tuesday 4 October 2011Player 1 Player 2BPP
maximize.gifCaven, J v Ovens, D (19:00 BST) 2.14 1.83 101.27 %
maximize.gifHylton, M v Walsh, M (19:30 BST) 2.3 1.74 100.95 %
maximize.gifChisnall, D v Tabern, A (20:00 BST) 1.61 2.5 101.90 %
maximize.gifWebster, M v Hamilton, A (20:30 BST) 1.66 2.56 99.06 %
maximize.gifAnderson, G v Burnett, R (21:00 BST) 1.25 5 100.00 %
maximize.gifTaylor, P v Wright, P (21:30 BST) 1.12 9.2 99.76 %
maximize.gifWhitlock, S v Jenkins, T (22:00 BST) 1.51 2.75 102.59 %
maximize.gifBaxter, R v Nicholson, P (22:30 BST) 3 1.53 98.55 %

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix 2 for me for Monday's first round. I'm toying with at least one other so might come back with that. 4pts J.Pipe to beat J.Henderson 9/10 Sportingbet Justin Pipe must be full of confidence coming into this week having won a Players Championship tournament on Sunday where he beat Anderson in the semi finals and Taylor in the final. There's no better scalps in the game than those two right now and it couldn't have been better timed. John Henderson had a fair Matchplay but he hasn't been beyond the last 16 of any event since May so his form isn't the greatest coming in and one thing we did see from him in Blackpool is that he isn't the best on his doubles, or the most reliable at least. Justin Pipe pings the double 18 as regularly as anyone and his deliberate style means he's unlikely to take too long to get a double should he miss with any darts. Neither of these players have much experience of this format so we don't have to worry about that. I think Pipe's the better player of the two and I expect him to win here even over a short format such as this. 4pts V.van der Voort to beat K.Painter Evs Sportingbet I'm surprised Sportingbet have Painter as the favourite here. Whether it's because he beat Taylor all those years ago here I don't know but if it is, that Painter and today's one are different players. Painter has had a decent spell of form on the floor circuit but we've seen quite often from him that hitting a double isn't his strongest suit and I think he's mentally weak and if he starts missing too many doubles it will get into his head and then he's gone. Van der Voort isn't what I would call special on his doubles but I think he's better than Painter. He's such an improved player that his all round game is pretty decent. Given Painter's temptations for missing far too many doubles and the fact that I believe the lanky Dutchman is the better player anyway, I'll take van der Voort to triumph in this one.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix 2pts - A Lewis v J Part - Part win @ 3.00 Skybet I'm a massive Lewis fan and think he could easily go on and win this tournament. However he comes up against an in form Part in his first round match, and over the shorter distance and with the double in start. I just think the price on Part is too big to ignore. We all know Lewis is a massive scorer, and in a normal format you would back him more often that not to out score Part heavily and win the match. However he can be a bit loose with his doubles, whereas Part's strength is his doubling. If Part can get away early then this will negate the Lewis scoring power and make this a much closer game than the odds suggest. In the last 6 meetings between these 2 it is 3 wins a piece. That record as well as the shorter format, and double in start, says to me that Part should be much shorter than he is. I think this bet represents value and will have a small stakes play on a bit of an upset this evening.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix One more outright before the off tonight. 1pt ew M.King to win World Grand Prix 80/1 Betfred (1/2 1-2) People will be surprised I'm taking this as I'm not Mervyn King's biggest fan but I can't help but notice the price here. As poor as King's form has been over the last 18 months or so with all his personal problems off the oche, I don't think he should be a price like this in a format like this which actually suits him I think. King has shown in the past that he can compete with the big guns over smaller races, thinking back to things like the Premier League and the Players Championship finals and even the Grand Slam but over longer distances the consistency the top guys have is just a bit too much for him. King's form has been pretty rotten for a while but I've seen signs in the last couple of weeks that his top game might not be too far away. He ran well in the Championship League last week which I don't take a whole lot of notice of, although with King being a confidence player who's confidence was a bit fragile it's no bad thing he went well there last week, and he followed up with a run to a semi final in the Tour event in Dublin on Saturday. He's got a nasty first round draw in Raymond Barneveld, nasty because despite the format Barney has never lost in the first round of this and is idolised by the Irish crowds but Barney hasn't played someone of King's class in the first round before. He's beaten John Magowan, Alan Tabern twice and Alan Warriner-Little. So there's no reason why King won't beat him over a small distance and if he does the draw opens up for him until a potential clash with Wade in the quarter final. King is consistent and generally reliable on his doubles and I fancy him to give us a bit of a run for our money at 80/1 this week.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix And one more match bet. 3pts W.O'Connor to beat A.Smith 13/8 Skybet I'm sure it's no coincidence that the up and coming Irish hope is on last when a load of pissed up Paddies will be screaming him on and I think that could just boost O'Connor in this match. We've seen him on TV in the past impressing although the less said about his Grand Prix last year the better. In the UK Open last year he impressed a lot of people when he beat Peter Wright and he has names such as Mark Walsh and Terry Jenkins on his CV in floor events in 2011 despite not playing the whole circuit. Andy Smith has disappointed in the last couple of TV events and we've seen a lot of missed doubles come from him which doesn't bode well tonight. William O'Connor doesn't have a lot to lose tonight and if he hits his starting double well enough then he has the scoring power to put pressure on Smith's doubles again. At the price and given the format I'll have a small go at the Irishman feasting on the Pieman's poor form tonight.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Look like someone saved me a bit of work.Indeed,the previous poster knows his stuff.All the money around here seems to be going for Justin Pipe and Will O'Connor.Pipe has a 3-0 head to head record over Hendo and is playing his best stuff.As everyone has pointed out he won the inaugural players championship here in Dublin yesterday. O'Connor plays Andy Smith who I had the company of last nite.He was in great form as always and was still drinking when I left the hotel bar at 2am.I dont think that will have any effect on him but he did say he didnt like the double start format.O'Connor is massively talented and has the benefit of a home crowd behind him.He won the west of Ireland 2 weeks ago and has shown an improvement over the last few months. Andy Smith told me to back a 9 darter in the tournament and although I wasnt overly keen with the double start format,at odds of 8/1 with Betfred it represents good value.The likes of Part,Taylor,Barnie and Lewis should give a good run for that bet. Best of luck to all

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Pipe v Henderson - What an absolutely awful match of Darts. You don't mind losing when then opposite player is far better, but what a terrible showing from both players. Shocking, I need to get out of this one now!

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Gd price u got . i have no idea how adrian lewis lost that game .

2pts - A Lewis v J Part - Part win @ 3.00 Skybet I'm a massive Lewis fan and think he could easily go on and win this tournament. However he comes up against an in form Part in his first round match, and over the shorter distance and with the double in start. I just think the price on Part is too big to ignore. We all know Lewis is a massive scorer, and in a normal format you would back him more often that not to out score Part heavily and win the match. However he can be a bit loose with his doubles, whereas Part's strength is his doubling. If Part can get away early then this will negate the Lewis scoring power and make this a much closer game than the odds suggest. In the last 6 meetings between these 2 it is 3 wins a piece. That record as well as the shorter format, and double in start, says to me that Part should be much shorter than he is. I think this bet represents value and will have a small stakes play on a bit of an upset this evening.

Gd price u got . i have no idea how adrian lewis lost that game .
Unbelievable game of darts. At one point Part couldn't hit a double to save his life and it looked like a white wash was on the cards. Happy with that to get the tournament started :D

Impressed by James wade though . His play was perfect and consistent . Someone to look out for in the tourney i feel .
Interesting opinions. I thought he was rubbish :lol although I've learnt to expect that from Wade in the first round of tournaments. -5 for me overall with the King outright taken off. That's probably offset with the draw opening up for John Part though and I'm very confident of landing some money there now. Cracking card on Tuesday and there's plenty that I like. 4pts D.Ovens to beat J.Caven 5/6 Coral I've spoken a fair bit in recent TV tournaments about Caven's attitude and demeanour and I've seen nothing in the last two tournaments to suggest that's going to change here. Caven has been in this event three times and he's yet to win a match and I get a real feel in the major TV tournaments that he's just happy to turn up and pocket the dosh. Denis Ovens made a breakthrough in his career with a semi final run in the UK Open and he's gaining more and more confidence on TV and is really starting to perform on the stage now. His consistent game doesn't really have a genuine weakness these days while Caven can show the odd flash of brilliance but it's generally average stuff from him on TV. Losing 10-0 to Wade in the Matchplay is still in my mind so I'm sure it is his and that can't be helpful. I'll take Ovens here. 3pts M.Hylton to beat M.Walsh 5/4 Ladbrokes I really like Mark Hylton and I wouldn't be surprised to see him replicate Wayne Jones and force his way into the top 16 in the world when not many would expect him to be there. He's solid on his doubles, especially pressure ones and he scores consistently. I think anyone who has played the game will have the utmost respect for Walshy and what he's been through with his action but even now when he's under pressure there's a snatch or a pull in his game which costs him. Over a short distance he can't really afford to put a foot wrong here else Hylton will punish him. I like the left hander here especially at this price which is a bit bigger than the price I'd have him at. 4pts A.Tabern to beat D.Chisnall 6/4 Blue Square Alan Tabern isn't in much nick on the TV but I like him here. We've seen throughout Chisnall's career that doubles aren't his forte. Anyone who remembers back to the Matchplay and he struggled on them bigtime there as he did in BDO events which have been televised. Tabern is a lot more solid on the doubles and while he may be outscored in this match doubles is a major factor over such a short distance. Chisnall has never played in this tournament before while Tabern has played in it a few times. He hasn't won here since 2007 but he's played Barney twice and Lewis in the three years since. This is an easier task and one which I think his better doubling can see him past. 2pts R.Burnett to beat G.Anderson 4/1 Betfred Richie Burnett is playing some lovely darts at the minute and his good performance at the UK Open should have him relaxed on the big stage here. He's a very solid player at his best and the signs are he's close to that stage in his career having won a Players Championship event a couple of weeks ago. He beat Ovens, Nicholson, Painter, Webster and Chisnall in that event which takes some doing. Gary Anderson can't be far off being the player of the year having won the Premier League and been runner up in the World Championship and Players Championship. Anderson did suffer a first round defeat to Andy Hamilton in the Matchplay though and I fancy he could be vulnerable here. He is never totally reliable on his doubles and that is always going to give Burnett a chance, especially if he kicks off well. We know Richie will never give up. He played well in beating Lloyd at the UK Open and even in defeat to Wade and a repeat of that performance coupled with a few missed doubles from Anderson and the Prince of Wales could pull off a big upset here. 1pt P.Wright to beat P.Taylor 7/1 William Hill 2pts P.Wright (+1.5 sets) to beat P.Taylor 2/1 Sportingbet People who know me and talk to me about darts or follow me on PL will know I secretly like Peter Wright. While others are prepared to write him off as a muppet with colourful hair I think his style is textbook and his throw is good under pressure which bodes well because he's likely to be under some of that here :lol. It's well known Phil Taylor doesn't like this round. He's lost to Kevin Painter, Andy Callaby and Adrian Gray in this round and Peter Wright fits those credentials. Wright hits his doubles and scores without fuss and more importantly he can kill the big shots, as we saw at the European Championship. I was really impressed with him there as he beat Gary Anderson and there's no reason why he can't at least take a set off Taylor if he clicks off straight away on his own throw. Taylor rarely plays well in this round because of the pressure of the format so Wright is definitely not without a chance here. He took a set off Taylor in the World Championship and I think he can repeat that here. 4pts S.Whitlock vs T.Jenkins - Over 9.5 legs 8/11 Blue Square This looks like a low line to me because I think both players are capable of holding their throw which should see us get the 10 legs we need here. Whitlock has everything in his locker to go well here this week while Jenkins should be boosted by returning to a venue he's made the final in on two occasions. I was going to take this to go over 2.5 sets at the bigger price but given that with this line the match can end 2-0 with each set being 3-2 and we'll still win I've decided to go with this line. Doubles will be a key part of this game but I'm quite confident we will see 10 legs here.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix I will have to start getting up much earlier Kev as you don't leave anything for the rest of us :lol In all seriousness they look like some great shouts so the best of luck with them. I really like the look of Ovens tonight and will play with a decent stake. 5pts - Caven v Ovens - Ovens win @ 1.80 - Skybet As Kev has already mentioned Caven seems to have a real problem playing in front of the big lights and has lost 15 of his last 20 TV matches. As well as the 10-0 loss to Wade he also lost 9-2 to Beaton in the UK open. If he doesn't start well then his head will drop and this will be a very quick match. Ovens has a good record against Caven winning 6 of the 8 previous meetings and unlike Caven he has no problem on the big stage. I did think about making this a large bet, but after watching Part come back last night (In my favour) I'm still wary that anything can happen in the shorter format. However at the current odds I will go halfway with 5pts. I'm also having a look at Baxter to beat Nicholson. (Currently a best price of 2.75) As with Part last night this price just looks too big to me. However I will do a bit more research on this one and might come back later. Great first night of darts and I think it could be even better this evening.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Decided that I'm going to take Baxter.... 3pts - Baxter v Nicholson - Baxter win @ 2.88 Stanjames The recent history between these two suggests this should be a close game and for me the odds on offer for Baxter are just too big. As we saw last night with a few of the favourites falling, the shorter format and double in start can be a great leveller. Baxter has won 4 out of the last 6 meetings between the two. Nicholson has lost in the first round in this competition the previous 2 years and I think he is vulnerable again tonight. IMO Nicholson is at his best when slogging it out over the longer format, he really enjoys the battle and thrives of the reaction of the crowd - be that negative or otherwise. I'm a big fan of Baxter, he can score heavily enough and I like the way he attacks the doubles. For me if we get an in form Baxter then he wins this. As with Part last night the odds are just too big to ignore and I will have a small play on another upset here.

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Going by how the night has panned out , i wont be surprised if you hit a royal flush here :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy Brilliant tipping mate Hope u did a multiple on them kev as that would really be brilliant night of work for you

Cracking card on Tuesday and there's plenty that I like. 4pts D.Ovens to beat J.Caven 5/6 Coral 3pts M.Hylton to beat M.Walsh 5/4 Ladbrokes 4pts A.Tabern to beat D.Chisnall 6/4 Blue Square 2pts R.Burnett to beat G.Anderson 4/1 Betfred 1pt P.Wright to beat P.Taylor 7/1 William Hill 2pts P.Wright (+1.5 sets) to beat P.Taylor 2/1 Sportingbet 4pts S.Whitlock vs T.Jenkins - Over 9.5 legs 8/11 Blue Square

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix F me pink,I dont think it's enough for me to say thanks.This guy Kevshat just made me over a grand off a 40squid bet.I combined Ovens,Hylton and Wright to take a set with Anderson to hit most 180s and Webbie to win. For whatever it's worth Kevshat if you ever need tickets or rooms at Pdc events,private message me

Re: Darts: 2011 World Grand Prix Well played Kev, great stuff. :clap :clap :clap Really gutted with my shout on Baxter. He showed a few glimpses of form but that was about it. Still I'm up for the night again, and it was a great night of darts