England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21

aliando

Tuesday 20 September 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Aldershot Town v Rochdale (19:45 BST) 2.6 3.4 2.64 105.75 %
maximize.gif Arsenal v Shrewsbury Town (19:45 BST) 1.26 6 11 105.12 %
maximize.gif Aston Villa v Bolton Wanderers (19:45 BST) 1.89 3.55 4 106.08 %
maximize.gif Burnley v Milton Keynes Dons (19:45 BST) 1.9 3.5 4 106.20 %
maximize.gif Leeds United v Manchester United (19:45 BST) 6.3 4.7 1.57 100.84 %
maximize.gif Nottingham Forest v Newcastle United (19:45 BST) 3 3.55 2.25 105.95 %
maximize.gif Stoke City v Tottenham Hotspur (19:45 BST) 2.5 3.4 2.76 105.64 %
maximize.gif Wolverhampton Wanderers v Millwall (19:45 BST) 1.72 3.6 5 105.67 %
maximize.gif Blackburn Rovers v Leyton Orient (20:00 BST) 1.39 4.65 8 105.95 %
maximize.gif Crystal Palace v Middlesbrough (20:00 BST) 3 3.4 2.92 96.99 %
Wednesday 21 September 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Brighton & Hove Albion v Liverpool (19:45 BST) 5 3.75 1.61 108.57 %
maximize.gif Cardiff City v Leicester City (19:45 BST) 2.37 3.45 2.88 105.81 %
maximize.gif Chelsea v Fulham (19:45 BST) 1.33 5 9 106.30 %
maximize.gif Manchester City v Birmingham City (19:45 BST) 1.25 5.95 10.5 106.33 %
maximize.gif Southampton v Preston North End (19:45 BST) 1.64 3.65 5.55 106.39 %
maximize.gif Everton v West Bromwich Albion (20:00 BST) 1.8 3.6 4.35 106.32 %

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 First look is that Leeds look far too high. Man Utd will play a fringe squad, add to the fact Leeds will be raring for this one. Also take into account the FA Cup 3rd round match at OT. Leeds can beat Man Utd here and I think they should be a little shorter than what they are. MK also look a good shot, beat Norwich in the last round. Playing Burnley who have started the season poorly. Will write up later on in the week.

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 I can see the reasoning, but what sort of squad will Leeds put out. They appear to have weakened a fair bit, and are a lot weaker than the last time these two faced eachother in the FA Cup. If I were Leeds I'd be more concerned with Championship consolidation than a cup run. And of course noone expects them to win against United so there is no fan expectation, which is a group that probably needs appeasing right now.

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 I think a LAY of Spurs is probably in order. I'd expect them to put out a fairly weakened side because they're prioritising CL qualification this season clearly. For Stoke, I'd expect Peter Crouch and Jonathan Woodgate to be involved as they're both not being included much in European football, and will have a lot to prove towards Spurs. The thing with Stoke is that they have a fairly strong squad right now and are playing with a bit of confidence.

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21

I can see the reasoning, but what sort of squad will Leeds put out. They appear to have weakened a fair bit, and are a lot weaker than the last time these two faced eachother in the FA Cup. If I were Leeds I'd be more concerned with Championship consolidation than a cup run. And of course noone expects them to win against United so there is no fan expectation, which is a group that probably needs appeasing right now.
Furthermore Ferguson wants some payback as Leeds beat them at home in the FA Cup back in 2009 with 1-0.Ferguson will certainly field a few reserves but he wants to win this clash.He also confirmed that he could hand Pogba a playce in the starting XI.I hope he will field him because Pogba is on of the best youngsters United has in his academy.I think over is a better idea in this encounter.Both Leeds and United will play an offensive football.

I think a LAY of Spurs is probably in order. I'd expect them to put out a fairly weakened side because they're prioritising CL qualification this season clearly. For Stoke, I'd expect Peter Crouch and Jonathan Woodgate to be involved as they're both not being included much in European football, and will have a lot to prove towards Spurs. The thing with Stoke is that they have a fairly strong squad right now and are playing with a bit of confidence.
Totally agree, we'll probably see a similar side to spurs put out in the Europa League last Thursday with the likes of Gomes, Bassong, Corluka, Giovani, Pavluchenko, Livermore and Falque (who impressed me alot Thursday) playing. Still a decent side on paper but like last thursday they will lack the quality and creativeness in the final third. Going to Stoke and getting a win is never normally easy so Stoke (+0 AH) @ 1.875 looks pretty good to me...

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 WOLVES V MILLWALL DRAW @ 3.50 BLUESQ 2010/2011 R1 Wolves 2 -1 Southend AET (1-1) R2 Wolves 4-2 Notts C AET (2-2) R3 Man Utd 3-2 Wolves 2009/2010 R1 Wolves 0-0 Swindon (6-5 on pens) R2 Man utd 1-0 Wolves 2008/2009 R1 Wolves 3-2 accrington AET 2-2 R2 Rotherham 0-0 Wolves (4-3 on pens) Wolves have drawn 5/7 league cup matches in the past 3 seasons and the other 2 defeats were against Man utd. All the draws were against lower league sides and it's worth mentioning, sides that weren't in great form at the time either. I watched the Wolves v QPR game sunday and we were nothing but awful, that is not under statement, it was a dire performance. I don't think MM is the manager for wolves but that's another discussion. This may be alittle dangerous in that MM will want them to get a win but in reality he never picks a strong side for the carling cup, the molineux crowd is always low for these comp games and we have several injuries especially up front. Meanwhile, Millwall have made a decent start, got a decent point v west ham saturday, aren't a bad cup side traditionally and have scored quite a few also. I'll be suprised if Wolves win this and the form,trends,stats, team strengths all point to an away win or draw. Given that MM will want to see some improvement from those first teamers he includes i'll be opting for the draw f-t. But the away dnb looks value too. DRAW @ 3.50

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Leeds vs Man Utd is a tough one to call, obviously Leeds have the home advantage but Fergie appreciates what this game means to the United fans so may well put out a decent side, albeit obviously weakened. I would have thought overs at first glance but just had a look at the odds and unders is as high as 2.75 with William Hill! As I say, overs was my instinct, but never expected the odds for unders to be as high as that. Anyone have an idea why? Could be some value in that.

Leeds vs Man Utd is a tough one to call' date=' obviously Leeds have the home advantage but Fergie appreciates what this game means to the United fans so may well put out a decent side, albeit obviously weakened. I would have thought overs at first glance but just had a look at the odds and unders is as high as 2.75 with William Hill! As I say, overs was my instinct, but never expected the odds for unders to be as high as that. Anyone have an idea why? Could be some value in that.[/quote'] Probably because Carling Cup games usually have lots of goals. Leeds games usually have lots of goals, and United have sent a good squad: Lindegaard, Amos, Fabio, Jones, Evans, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, Owen, Berbatov, Macheda, Diouf, Pogba, W Keane, James, Brown, M.Keane, Thorpe, Fryers.

Probably because Carling Cup games usually have lots of goals. Leeds games usually have lots of goals, and United have sent a good squad: Lindegaard, Amos, Fabio, Jones, Evans, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, Owen, Berbatov, Macheda, Diouf, Pogba, W Keane, James, Brown, M.Keane, Thorpe, Fryers.
Where did you get that squad information Sir Alex? It's very useful this early:ok

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Hi all, The one game that stands out for me is Burnley v Mk Dons. I see 3/1 for an Dons win as massive and a Handicap bet on them looks a good way to go. As always with the Carling cup team line ups are so important but even with 2 full strength teams at turf moor I can see the Dons at least getting a draw. I will write up in detail tomorrow once more info is available on the matches but that is a standout price on a tricky fixture list. Again this pick is provisional but 2pts Mk Dons win @ a general 3/1 5pts Mk Dons +1 on the handicap @ Evens (hills)

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Burnley v MK Dons Back Burnley @ Evs (BetFred) MK Dons have some serious selection problems. Gleeson will be rested after playing 90 mins carrying an injury on Sat. Smith went off injured on sat and wont feature, Chadwick also injured Saturday is a doubt. Balanta, Macdonald, Doumbe still out injured and Mackenzie out suspended MK already have a small squad so once you remove the above first team names you have little left! Robinson will turn to his academy players such as G. Baldock, Gyasi, S. Powell, Flanagan etc Likely MKDONS line up: Martin, Lewington, Williams, Chicksen, Flanagan, D. Powell, Baldock, Potter, Guy, Bowditch, Ibehre. Subs will be all academy players except GK

I think a LAY of Spurs is probably in order. I'd expect them to put out a fairly weakened side because they're prioritising CL qualification this season clearly. For Stoke, I'd expect Peter Crouch and Jonathan Woodgate to be involved as they're both not being included much in European football, and will have a lot to prove towards Spurs. The thing with Stoke is that they have a fairly strong squad right now and are playing with a bit of confidence.
Our side will still be pretty strong though, Gallas and Sandro are returning from injury so our side will be something along the lines of: Gomes Corluka Gallas Bassong Townsend Sandro Livermore Giovani VDV Kranjcar/Falque/Carroll Pavlyuchenko We played two different sides against PAOK and Liverpool. Stoke changed a few from their game against Kiev for Sunderland but playing Thursday-Sunday-Tuesday will really test their squad.

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 MU ''second squad'' could easily be some others team first squad. Berbatov, Owen, Park, Valencia, Giggs, Fabio, Pogba (will make a debut).... I think those players can definitely make some damage for Leeds. In my view, this is a revenge game for ManU (last year's loss 0-1) and motivation for those ''second'' team players should be sky high.... as this is the one of the times when they can show that they should belong for the ''first'' team. Personally I took Manchester United @ 1.58 Betfair

Burnley v MK Dons Back Burnley @ Evs (BetFred) MK Dons have some serious selection problems. Gleeson will be rested after playing 90 mins carrying an injury on Sat. Smith went off injured on sat and wont feature, Chadwick also injured Saturday is a doubt. Balanta, Macdonald, Doumbe still out injured and Mackenzie out suspended MK already have a small squad so once you remove the above first team names you have little left! Robinson will turn to his academy players such as G. Baldock, Gyasi, S. Powell, Flanagan etc Likely MKDONS line up: Martin, Lewington, Williams, Chicksen, Flanagan, D. Powell, Baldock, Potter, Guy, Bowditch, Ibehre. Subs will be all academy players except GK
Good info :ok Looks like a lay of MK at the very least.

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Leeds v Man United (Tues) In years past I would have been a bit reluctant to go anywhere near this kind of match up in the League cup. Ferguson had a habit of fielding very weakened sides to the extent that it was disrespectful to the competition. It was only three seasons ago when United came a cropper at the hands of Coventry losing 2-0 at Old Trafford. This was the team that was guilty of Old Trafford heresy that night : Kuszczak, Bardsley (Brown 45), Evans (Carrick 56), Pique, Simpson, Nani, Martin (Campbell 45), O'Shea, Eagles, Dong, Anderson. Subs Not Used: Heaton, Eckersley. If we look at the squad this time round that Alexc has dutifully obtained via Teamtalk: Man Utd (from): Lindegaard, Amos, Fabio, Jones, Evans, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, Owen, Berbatov, Macheda, Diouf, Pogba, W Keane, James, Brown, M.Keane, Thorpe, Fryers. we see that the personnel for this battle is a few grades higher than the one that brought shame to the hallowed turf on that dark night. Who Sir Alex starts with is anybody’s guess. If the opposition were any other Championship side I’d be a bit wary of who he chooses to start with but because of the tribal rivalry that this fixture provokes I expect him to start with a solid core as surely he would not like to endure a second successive defeat at the hands of those pesky Yorkshire pudding eating men. Am I allowed to say that, is it not politically correct :p The competition for places in the United first team is very high right now. It’s even a triumph to actually make the bench these days. Ask Berba about that one. Maybe not :\ So anybody selected will have to take this serious to ensure that they’re kept in the managers long term thinking. For this reason I expect United to be adequately up for it. A great atmosphere will be provided so all is set for a lively tussle. I expect Leeds will give it a good go in front of a passionate home support but if the other United, in every sense of the word, can quell the early pressure it will be they who come out on top in this war of the roses. I’m banking on a tasty a mix of experience allied to the exuberance of youth to be able to put a few past a Leeds team that has a propensity to leak as many as they score. Ee bah gum it should be a cracker:ok Man United @ 1.53 most places I was considering adding over 2.5 goals to the bet but decided not to be greedy. Man United and over 2.5 is 1.85 at hills for those interested in being a tad more adventurous.

Event Nottingham - Newcastle Utd
Selection Newcastle Utd to qualify
Strength 10/10
Date 20/09/2011
Bookmaker/Price Skybet @ 1.73
Reasoning The unbeaten Premiership season of the visitors is fulling them their morale level. They are unbetaen in the six games they played since the start of the season while Nottingham Forest just won one of the seven games they played so far. Due to that, Nottingham Forest is the third bottom placed of the Championship. Of course Newcastle will save some players but i don't believe they will save a entire team. To a team like Newcastle, winning the Premiership is out of question so they have their concentration in this Cup trying to give some shine to their season.

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Leeds vs Manchester United Manchester will look determined to get the win here immediately. The emulation created in this group guarantees the fact that any player that will enter on the pitch will give 100%. Leeds are a good assembled team, but against Manchester will be tough for them. Manchester United has clearly the value and I go with it. away -1 Ah @ 1.82 with Ladbrokes

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Aldershot vs Rochdale Home side is in a great form and the win against Bristol Rovers is certifying that. In the Cup they eliminated West Ham and Carlisle so for them will not be at all a problem to beat Rochdale. Away side is also on a good trend despite the defeat they suffered against much better Charlton. But home side has the value in this match. home 0 AH @ 1.93 with Pinnacle Sports

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Wolverhampton v Millwall One bet that jumps out at me is in the Wolves v Millwall match. I will let the previous match results to the talking... Blackburn 1 - 2 Wolves Wolves 2 - 0 Fulham Northampton 0 - 4 Wolves Aston Villa 0 - 0 Wolves Wolves 0 - 2 Tottenham Wolves 0 - 3 QPR Reading 2 - 2 Millwall Plymouth 0 - 1 Millwall Millwall 2 - 0 Nottingham Forest Millwall 2 - 2 Peterbrough Southampton 1 - 0 Millwall Millwall 2 - 0 Morecambe Millwall 0 - 0 Barnsley Birmingham 3 - 0 Millwall Millwall 0 - 0 West Ham So as you can see in 12 of those 15 games only 1 of the teams scored. Both teams have not scored in Millwall's last 5 games and both teams have not scored in Wolves last 5 games... So an easy conclusion for me Both Teams To Score - NO @ 6/5 Bet365

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Aston Villa v Bolton Aston Villa are undefeated this season, with 3 wins and 4 draws they arw a very dogged outfit under McLeish now, and the signing of Given has been an excellent buy, he has made top class saves. Bolton on the other hand are in dire straights, they are playing like a bad championship side at the moment with a 2-1 loss at home to Norwich, a 5-0 thrashing at home to Man United, a 3-1 loss at Anfield, a 3-2 loss at home to City with a hard-fought 2-1 win at home to Macclesfield in the first round of the league cup.. I think they are going to find it extremely difficult to break Villa down and they are leaking a lot of goals. Villa win all the way for me but half-time/full-time looks tempting. ASTON VILLA H-T/F-T @ 2/1 Bluesquare BOG

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Burnley v MK Dons I think MK Dons are overpriced to win this match. The draw no bet market looks quite good to me. Burnley are doing woefully bad in the championship thus far this season , lying in 20th position with only 1 win in the league, that being away to Derby. They have lost their last 2 games, at home to Middlesbrough and away to Peterborough. They also really struggled in their 2 carling cup games so far, both of which were at home to teams they would expect to beat well, Burton and Barnet. They won 6-3 after extra-time at home to Burton and won 3-2 after extra-time at home to Barnet. I also think their main focus will be on trying to stay in the championship which could play into MK Dons hands. MK Dons on the other hand are doing very well in League 1. They are lying in 4th position and started the season like a house on fire with a draw at home to Hartlepool followed by 6 victories in a row, 4 of which were away from home, so they travel well. They also have had much tougher Carling Cup games than Burnley. They went to Norwich and hammered them 4-0 in the first round and previously went to Cheltenham and hammered them 4-1. I see a good few goals in this game but i can see MK Dons nicking this one, they travel well and are not scared of higher-league sides as proven when thrashing Norwich. I will play it a small bit safe and back them draw no bet. MK DONS DNB @ 15/8 Paddy Power

So as you can see in 12 of those 15 games only 1 of the teams scored. Both teams have not scored in Millwall's last 5 games and both teams have not scored in Wolves last 5 games... So an easy conclusion for me Both Teams To Score - NO @ 6/5 Bet365
Do you not think though that because this is a cup game, those stats aren't particularly relevant? :unsure IMO it's they are different scenarios to be judging this game on.

Do you not think though that because this is a cup game' date=' those stats aren't particularly relevant? :unsure IMO it's they are different scenarios to be judging this game on.[/quote'] Hi Jase! I suppose you could argue that point. But i can personally also see the game being a very tight dogged affair, in my opinion Wolves play every game they play as if they are in a cup game, they try their best to attack but often leave big gaps at the back, they always go out there and try to win the game, i think Wolves will win the game and you do have a very valid point, it could well end up 4-3 but if one of the sides dont score i would kick myself looking at them statistics, i guess its all about personaly interpretation, we all look at things differently!

Re: England: Carling Cup Sept 20-21 Aston Villa vs Bolton Form and home ground are on Villa side. Both teams will be weakened for several starters, it's important to say that the best attackers won't play tonight (Bent - Klasnic). Villa manager Alex McLeish has won this competition last season and surely wants to repeat that success. Better team should win in front of their fans... 1 @1.80 4/10