** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Dash (yea.. right) to Supernova 2012 Yes I am delusional!!!

GaF

Having just got the 750 VPPs needed for PlatinumVIP on pokerstars in under 72 hours, I'm now seriously thinking that maybe I can pursue Supernova in 2012. Supernova needs 100,000 points in 365 days - so that's an average of 274 points per day. I think I'm capable of that over the short term, but not sure I'm capabable of it long term (over a year). So that's why I am starting to think about it now, in August 2011. I will use the 4 months left in this year as an evaluation period to try and work out which games I'm most profitable at, where I can improve, where I can move up the stakes, how many hours I need to put in and how many tables I could (should) play, on average, per day to get Supernova. I dont intend to really start grinding now - I need to go into 1st January 2012 fresh enough to see the whole year through - but I need to keep a steady pace up if I am to get enough information to get anything out of this evaluation period. I will continue playing NL50 Heads Up cash poker until I have played 10,000 hands and then make my decision what to try next. (Currently on 3,379 hands and $112 profit - yes I've fallen back a bit :(). Areas I wish to try (all NLHE): Cash: 6max, full ring - Will play in blocks of 10k hands (not necessarily continuosly lol) STT: Fifty50's - Will play in blocks of 100 games SnG MTTs: 180s - I dont know whether these would be possible to grind at low stakes to Supernova level - Will play in blocks of 50games MTTs: I think I will skip MTTs - volume would be difficult and I dont think I have the patience anymore to play for 5 or 6 hours at a time.... I wont be mixing and matching different games at the same time - when I start a batch I must complete it (or abandon it) before I start another batch, or play any other type of game. I'm a firm believer that mixing your games up stops you playing optimally (or even well) at any of the games you play - need to focus on 1 game type for a significant period. Intention is to work through everything pretty much in the order listed above. If I make any profit at NL50 HU (before bonuses) then my second batch will be 10,000 hands of NL100 HU.

Re: Dash (yea.. right) to Supernova 2012 To be honest, Omaha isn't my game - as much as anything I would guess , because I havent played it anywhere near as much as NLHE, but I dont feel comfortable or confident when playing Omaha (less so than with NLHE ;)). I'm also hesitant to want to chase shortcuts to get points quicker - mainly because I read that as meaning more rake to pay!!! Points are just a measure of the amount of rake you pay - we shouldn't want to pay more rake/earn more points - its just a by product of games we play anyway. I've no idea if that makes any kind of sense when this thread is all about chasing the points to get to Supernova :rollin:rollin:rollin I haven't thought yet - what about 2013 onwards? Is it something that once you've got supernova, you MUST keep it going to get your moneys worth and will be afraid to let it go? :unsure

Re: Dash (yea.. right) to Supernova 2012

I cant work out how to play omaha all on my own:sadC'mon you know you want to' date=' it will be like the olden days. You read Harrington then post up the abridged version on here for the likes of me:ok[/quote'] I'm running at 50% profit this week playing PLO STTs on Stars after reading the thread Al posted in Strategy (and I haven't even read part 3 of it yet). :p

Re: Dash (yea.. right) to Supernova 2012 Yes I am delusional!!! I dont know what I was thinking when I started this thread :unsure Managing to hit the pace for 72 hours over a Bank Holiday weekend is one thing. Achieving it over a full year, non weekends is a totally different kettle of fish, and I have zero chance of achieving it as things stand! Not given up completely - maybe I'll get comfortable playing at higher stakes and that will give me a shot - so I'll continue with the evaluation - but I wouldnt back myself at even money to achieve Supernova in 2012!