** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Carling Cup > 23-25 August

Spooner

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August

Agree with you completely on this one. Villa played a reserve match against Blackburn last night, so there seems to be no danger that Alex McLeish will dip into the reserve numbers. Therefore the team will comprise the first team squad, whose lesser lights should have far too much for Hereford. Whilst it's quite possible that much of the second half could turn into a tepid affair with Villa strolling to victory, I suspect McLeish will not want to antagonise the Villa faithful in any way, especially after his dream home start last Saturday. Villa could keep going with serious intent for much of the game. Hereford are in a mess injury-wise: http://www.herefordunited.co.uk/page/MatchPreview/0,,10835~2428514,00.html. A key loss is their excellent goalkeeper and former England C international, Adam Bartlett. The Bulls have two upcoming League 2 matches over the Bank Holiday which are of far greater importance to them than the Carling Cup. I've gone for Villa to score over 2.5 goals at 11/10 with Corals and also had a buy of their goal rush at 35 with Sporting Index.
Good analysis:ok Furthermore I'd like to add,that Hereford has lost 3 out of 4 matches so far and all of their opponent's are candidates to be relegated.Despite that defender and captain Stam is ou,midfieder Clist is cup-tied and debutant Dailbard is also injured.Defender Heath and midfielder Purdle are doubtful and will be assessed before the match. All in all,Villa will certainly win,maybe 4:0.I will go on AH-2 and Villa to keep a clean sheet. GL:ok

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brighton v Sunderland (No Bet) Shortlisted match which suggested Brighton cause a shock but decided to swerve this as they have doubts on Buckley and Hoskins. Sunderland are set to pick from a strong squad on this one.
I think Brighton are a very obvious choice no doubt, as they are looking good so far. However, I think because of that the odds on Sunderland should appeal. Sunderland failed miserably last season in the Carling Cup, but Bruce sees this as their only real chance for silverware, so they will put out a strong squad and :hope Brighton's confidence will be their undoing.

Sport Football (England - Cups)
Event Northampton - Wolves
Selection Wolves -1.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 23/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 3.00
Reasoning Northampoton are in the bottom of the table in league two, they lose last two matches against not so strong teams like Cheltenham and Bristol Rovers. Wolves are doing so well this season they are tied for the first place in Premier League after two good win over Blackburn 0-1 away win, 2-0 against Fullham at home. It is interesting that Wolves won four and drew one of last five away matches. In the summer Wolves defeated Scotish big club Celtic 0-2 on the road so I think Northampton are in poor fit will be easy bite to Wolves.

Event QPR - Rochdale
Selection QPR -1.5
Strength 10/10
Date 23/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.52
Reasoning QPR are on fire after good 0-1 away win against Everton for Premeir League last few days ago. Rochdale are struggeling in League Two after they are with just two points of four matches sitting in releagtion zone in this low league level. QPR are definetly stronger team they have big names in their squad while Rochdale lose last two away matches with two goals spread against another weak teams as Oldham and Sheffield Wednesday. Rochdale lose five of last six away matches and this should be an easy one to QPR I believe.

Event Charlton - Reading
Selection Charlton
Strength 10/10
Date 23/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.98
Reasoning Charlton started new season very well three win in a row followed by draw, they are on the second place at League One. This is very tough team I think they will try to overate this round for this cup. Reading are very close to relegation zone in Championship table, they lose last two matches so I don't think they will play on 100% fit today. Reading sure will use reserve players while this can be great match to the Charlton fans so home win for me.

Event Doncaster - Leeds
Selection Leeds
Strength 10/10
Date 23/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Canbet @ 2.48
Reasoning It seems that Doncaster are the weakest team in Championship League. They lose all six matches so far of new season sitting on the last 24th place in table with zero points. I think Doncaster have bigger problems than thinking about this League Cup. Leeds started bad new season, but last two matches 4-1 home win over Hull City, followed by good 2-2 draw against West Ham on the road. I think this team who always give 100% for this cup should win this one.

Event Brighton - Sunderland
Selection Sunderland
Strength 10/10
Date 23/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Eurobet @ 2.60
Reasoning Brighton started new season very well at championship but I think they will use some reserve players today. Sunderland are very tough team, team drew opening match against Liverpool 1-1. This team can surprise every one in Premir League. Sunderland will try to win this one I believe. Brighton are coming of League One, their big aim will be to reach Premier League if they play with reserve players this will be an easy one to Sunderland who are definetly stronger team.

Event Crystal Palace - Crawley
Selection over 2.5
Strength 10/10
Date 23/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price 188bet @ 2.04
Reasoning Carling Cup match first round reshedued from 09.08. Crystal Palace started very well new season three win one loss of four matches they recorded three home win in a row. On the other hand Crawley last season reached semi final at FA Cup when they lose against Manchester United. Crawley are leader in League Two but they recorded six over in last seven matches. Crawley scored at least two goals in past seven matches but they also allowed at least two goals in four of these seven matches. Last season Crawley defeated Aston Villa 1-2 on the road so they are dangerous team if they score this game should be over.

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Brighton VS Sunderland Sunderland are far too big a price here. 2.50 for a team against a Championship team? Sunderland will have a decent season, and one defeat in a big derby has pushed their price to a sexy bit of value. Steve Bruce says he is looking at getting a cup run going, and although Brighton have started well, I can't see them matching Sunderland for quality. Sunderland to win @ 2.50 with 365

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Aston Villa VS Hereford I fancy villa to do some damage here. Even reserve players such as Delfeanouso (spelling?) have enough quality about them to put Hereford to the sword. Hereford in a league 2 are having a mare and have lost their last two away games 3-0 and 4-0 respecfully. Aston Villa reserves or not -2 @ 1.83 365

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Crystal Palace VS Crawley Crawley are flying and will no doubt be in League 1 next season, but similar to the Sunderland game, that's in a different league. Palace have started well in the championship and will be looking to get one over on Crawley. Palace have had some tricky games and still they see themselves in the play-off positions, and I fancy them to win this with some nice odds. I think Crawleys good form and potential double promotion that has pushed up Palaces price. Crystal palace to win @ 2.20 365

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August A bit of info FWIW. I know someone who works in the offices at Shrewsbury Town. Reportedly Swansea telephoned yesterday to say they were putting out a complete reserve side, and it may be good PR for Shrewsbury to consider dropping admission prices accordingly. Make of that what you will, and no idea whether prices have been dropped or even discussed, but have backed the Shrews.

Tough to call Championship vs Championship but from an unbiased biased perspective (in the sense that I am a Leeds fan but I don't blindly expect us to win every week!) I think we'll win today. Much improved the last twice and Grayson has little choice but to play another strong side at Doncaster. They haven't had a great start to the season and there will be close to as many Leeds fans there as Donny fans. Their defence looks suspect whereas our attack is our strong suit, so I'd expect us to grab 2 or 3 goals, and even with our dodgy defence, it should be enough to see us progress.
Totally agree with this and I find the 2.5ish on offer for a Leeds win and is absolutely amazing value imho. My bet of the season so far. After a dodgy start, Leeds appear to have turned the corner after the West Ham and Hull games. Doncaster on the other hand are already struggling at the bottom of the Champtionship and are ravaged by injuries. Grayson will no doubt rest a few players and even if Snodgrass and Gradel (Leeds' two most influential players) sit it out, Sam and Nunez will come in and Nunez especially can be a game winner (as he was in the previous round in vs Bradford). I am still shocked at the price available on Leeds and really think this is an amazing bet. I'm going to the game tonight hope to be leaving the Keepmoat with a smile on my face and a pie in my belly. LEEDS TO BEAT DONCASTER @ 2.44

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August After a piss poor weekend with most my bets being voided on the DNB and a 6% loss for the season so far, i'm hoping this midweek gets me back on track and puts me in profit. Started last night, taking Man u to score 2nd goal live in play, bringing losses to -3.5% and 3 out of 4 should put me back on track in the low digits profit. Anyway, on to tonight. I've gone for : Charlton v Reading Reading win @ 2.40 Bury v Leicester Leicester win @ 1.90 Brighton v Sunderland Sunderland win 2.35 Northampton v Wolves Draw 3.50 (singles/doubles/trebles/fourfold) Northampton v Wolves We (wolves) wont be fielding any of the 11 that played on sunday v fulham. We often don't take either cup seriously but MM will still be looking for a positive, hard working performance from the fringe players. Those being : De Vries/Foley/Craddock/Zubar/Elokobi/Hammil/Kightly/Davis/Ebanks Blake/Vokes etc... On paper that squad should beat Northampton however as others have pointed out Northampton love the cup and pull off many scalps but i think they'll find this game difficult and i see the best value in the draw. Bury v Leicester Not really got alot of reasoning except that i think Sven needs to put out a decent team to get back to winning ways. Although the cup isn't priority i don't think he'll want the doom and gloom of a nother defeat and the fans on his back. Even if he changes a few around i can't see Bury having enough to pull off a win and i think at the odds going, it's a decent bet. Charlton v Reading Bit of a toss up between reading and Wba. In the end went with Reading. Charlton aren't a great side and if Reading turn up and play at even half their potential they should see this one out comfortably. Line up critical. Brighton v Sunderland Lastly, i cannot believe this price and after i've finished this write up i'm going to stick another 5pts on Sunderland. Brighton keep being over rated by the Bookies and these are odds are just too good to miss. Brighton last season made an absolute mess of the cup competitions. Lots of replays and late goals, they put out weak sides and i see no reason why they wont do the same tonight. As jase mentions, Bruce will see this as a realistic chance of europe and the price is too good to ingore. Good luck everyone :hope Edit : also took on Sunderland (bigger stakes) wba southport (league match) (singles/doubles/treble)

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August I've gone for a double on Wolves and West Brom at 3-1ish. I think this bet speaks for itself, both Wolves and Albion will rotate, but both have fairly strong subs, and will both be looking to keep morale high after strong starts. Neither opposition are likely to pose any great threat. Thoughts?

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August West Ham Vs Aldershot Nice value here on my team. We (West Ham) have lost and drawn at home this season and both in the dying minutes of the game. We will want to get a home win under our belts. We, since going down have got rid of many players, and just don't have that many "reserves" to be putting out. Expect to see the likes of Stanislas, Sears, Boffin, Faye, Faubert, Carew... This team is easily enough to put a few past an Aldershot side in league 2 who have lost three back-to-back games in their respective division. This win will provide some much needed confidence for us. I expect a 2-0 so... West Ham -1, -1.5 @ 1.8 365

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Regarding BTS challenge some info: 2nd round matches - 25 total season 2008/2009 - 17 BTS season 2009/2010 - 19 BTS season 2010/2011 - 18 BTS Intersting fact is that the games which ended to nill (NOT BTS) involved mostly Premier League teams like Wolves, Bolton, WBA etc. So, if I go with BTS, I'll skip the games involving PL teams cheers

Tip Detail
SportFootball (England - Cups)
EventVilla v Hereford
SelectionVilla to score first in 1st half
Strength10/10
Date23/08/2011
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 1.50
ReasoningThis is a competition that Villa will want to do well in and I can see them putting a half decent side out. They will want to start well and settle the nerves with an early goal. This is the reasons I have taken Villa to score first in the first half. These odds are better than taking Villa to win.

West Brom at Evs appeals away vs Bournemouth, WBA have a few fringe players that will welcome a game and at this level they should be able to put a few in the net. I am sure Bournemouth will fancy a PL scalp but WBA have shown in their 2 games to date they have improved under Hodgson especially defensively another bet worth consideration is Sheff Weds away at strugglers Blackburn no doubt thsat wednesday may have as many fans there as Blackburn which may tip the tie in thier favour and at decent odds also
Taking into consideration Blackburn's disappointing start this kind of fixture begins to resemble a must win match for Steve Kean even at this early stage. This might prompt him to field a relatively strong line up just to get that much needed first win. At the same stage last season, Blackburn had a much tougher fixture on paper against Norwich which they comfortably negotiated by winning 3-1.

Norwich side: Rudd, Russell Martin, Whitbread, Ayala, Drury, Fox, Smith, Surman, Hoolahan, Jackson, Wilbraham
Subs: Ruddy, Bradley Johnson, Morison, Holt, Bennett, Lappin, De Laet Gotta get used to the fact we have a quality squad :lol

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August Backing two strong line-ups against weaker opposition tonight. Aston Villa -2 v Hereford on the asian handicap, Bent/Nzogbia both start...Mcleish desperate to please the home faithful. Nuff said. Nottm Forest to beat Wycombe. Strong Forest side with Miller leading the line tonight, they look a much better side with his arrival and he turned it around against Leicester on Saturday.

Norwich side: Rudd, Russell Martin, Whitbread, Ayala, Drury, Fox, Smith, Surman, Hoolahan, Jackson, Wilbraham
Subs: Ruddy, Bradley Johnson, Morison, Holt, Bennett, Lappin, De Laet Gotta get used to the fact we have a quality squad :lol
0 - 2 your team are loosing... do they have a chance to come back?

Re: Carling Cup > 23-25 August I just noticed Palace at 0-0 go to 4.33 odds :eek and them to qualify at 2.20 :eek so i stuck abit on it and then bang! 1-0 palace. Didn't get enough time to mention it here before the goal went in. Couldn't believe it went to 4.33

WBA at Bournemouth looks like a total gift from the bookies. WBA played well against Manchester United and Chelsea, managing to score in both games and i cannot see why they woulnd't win against a League one team who only got 3 points in 4 games. I've jumped on 1.91 @ bet365 as soon as i saw it
1-4 with less than 10 minutes before FT :nana I'm glad i took it with full stakes but also feel a bit sorry for not taking the AH also. .......greedy me....:lol

Bristol Rovers Draw No Bet @ 2.10 (Paddy Power) Decent start to the season for Rovers, winning two, a decent away draw and the only blemish being a defeat to new manager Paul Buckle's old team Torquay. Watford have been poor at home, losing both games, but decent enough away, drawing at Burnley and Coventry. Even so, I think The Hornets may struggle this season, and don't see too big of a gap right now between them and promotion favourites Bristol.
Push. Norwich, f*ck me! :lol

A bit of info FWIW. I know someone who works in the offices at Shrewsbury Town. Reportedly Swansea telephoned yesterday to say they were putting out a complete reserve side, and it may be good PR for Shrewsbury to consider dropping admission prices accordingly. Make of that what you will, and no idea whether prices have been dropped or even discussed, but have backed the Shrews.
This post got me backing Shrewsbury.. Cheers mate :ok