Guingamp v Laval
Istres v Bastia
Le Havre v Metz
Le Mans v Arles
Lens v Clermont Foot
Reims v Nantes
Tours v Angers
Vannes OC v Troyes

Re: French League Cup 22 july 2011 It's been a pretty short turnaround, with the first round of the French Cup starting much sooner than before (or at least it seems that way). As with something you've not had in ages, it is sorely tempting to wade in and hit lots of bets. Ultimately, I'm only going to make two small plays as I ease my way back into the fray. My first bet is on Arles +0.5 away at Le Mans. Regular French viewers will remember that Arles were the whipping boys of Ligue 1 last year. The club was out of its depth there and the directors and staff all knew that. Michel Salerno, the club president, has admitted that the club is more stable and will learn from mistakes made last year. Faruk Hadzigebic has been kept on as manager and players deemed surplus to requirements have gone. In saying that, Hadzigebic has assembled quite a nice side. Ludovic Butelle is a decent keeper, the defence is experienced and strong at this level with Bobo Balde, Fabian Laurenti and Romain Elie there, the midfield appears to have a decent blend of proven Ligue 2 players in Chafik Hajih, Jamel Aid-Ben-Adir, Deme N'Diaye and Romain Rocchi and Frank Dja-Djede and Luigi Pieroni are both very decent strikers for this level. I feel that's a strong side, one capable of challenging at the right end of the table. Le Mans are a big name for Ligue 2 but after a spectacular implosion last year, they've had to cut costs and let good players go. Samuel Bouhours, Sebastian Corchia, Ludovic Baal, Yohann Hautcoeur and Thorstein Helstad have all left, and there haven't been sufficient replacements. I struggle to see them scoring many goals without Helstad, who notched a good third of their out-take last year. Corchia is one of the best young defenders in France and it was inevitable that he would leave, but signings such as Mamadou Doumbia don't really fill the void at the highest level. Their probable side tonight looks a little weak to me. Arles have a stronger backbone and I think Pieroni and Dja-Djedje, a real little and large partnership, could be very dangerous to the hosts. I'm certainly surprised to see 2.00 for the draw and win, considering this is a cup tie and the relative strengths of the two teams. Le Mans were very good at the MMArena last year - I don't think they lost a game - but they certainly have a weaker side, and ACA will not fear coming here. My second bet is on another of the relegated teams from Ligue 1. Lens are back in the second tier, which is a total travesty considering the size of the club. Mismanagement at all levels have had a part to play. The club is now in a much better position. High earners have departed, and in Jean-Louis Garcia, their new manager, they have proven Ligue 2 boss with hunger and ambition. He took Angers as far as they could go and is a real coup for Lens considering he was courted by Ligue 1 sides. He's totally revamped the squad and looked to blend in the young talent the club has alongside players who will thrive at this level. He's signed Julien Toudic, who scored a barrelload for Reims last year, Pierre Ducasse in midfield from Bordeaux and Baal from Le Mans, a tricky wide player. They will all make a big difference to the side. Toudic will score, he's a good striker, probably too good for Ligue 2 but not quite good enough for Ligue 1. Ducasse is a player hungry to get back on track, while Baal will service the forward areas. For the time being, they also have Alaeddine Yahia in defence, who is a lighthouse defender who can hold the backline. It goes without saying, therefore, that I think they'll be too strong for Clermont this evening at home, and I'll be nibbling at the -0.75 line at odds of 2.04. Michel Der Zakarian's side have lost a couple of key players from last year (keeper Mickael Fabre, defender Bruce Abdoulaye and striker Sloane Privat). The loss of Privat is a blow. He scored a lot of goals last year and when he went missing, they struggled. Romain Alessandrini, a Saint-Etienne target, is still there, but for how long is anyone's guess. I wonder if his head might not be totally at the Bollaert tonight. They appear a side with limited weapons, with ageing striker Jean-Francois Riviere their main outlet for goals. I think they could be in for a tough night at Lens. It's Garcia's first competitive home match and the players will be desperate to get a home crowd back on side after the disaffection of last season, when numerous supporters' groups boycotted the matches. It's a chance to build a few bridges, and I think they'll take it. Stakes should be kept very small considering it is the first competitive match for all these teams. I can't really see much in the other matches either, so it's the two bets above with a modest outlay. Bets taken - Arles +0.5AH (v Le Mans) @ 2.00 with 188bet 3pts - Lens -0.75AH (v Clermont) @ 2.04 with 188bet 3pts

Re: French League Cup 22 july 2011 Hi Atko ;) I want to thank you for this previews, proapbly I will play on Lens. I just want to ask what u think about Reims - Nantes ? Nantes in preparations wasn't good, their coach said straight for newspaper that with this kind of their style of game they will fight against relegation in this season. Before this match their new players won't play also Djordjevic is injured and it seems that they won't be ready for this game on 100%. Reims played better in preparations but I don't know this teams well. I think Reims AH -0,25 or Under 2,25 will be good. Thanks for help

Re: French League Cup 22 july 2011

Hi Atko ;) I want to thank you for this previews, proapbly I will play on Lens. I just want to ask what u think about Reims - Nantes ? Nantes in preparations wasn't good, their coach said straight for newspaper that with this kind of their style of game they will fight against relegation in this season. Before this match their new players won't play also Djordjevic is injured and it seems that they won't be ready for this game on 100%. Reims played better in preparations but I don't know this teams well. I think Reims AH -0,25 or Under 2,25 will be good. Thanks for help
As you correctly say Pavel_S, Nantes haven't started the season well in terms of preparation. They lost 4-0 to Bastia last week and have lost a lot of good players, including the one bright thing in last season, Ronny Rodelin. They have, however, brought in Landry Chauvin as manager, and he will work to sort things out. Bruno Cheyrou will probably play centre-half - not sure how that'll work out - and there are a few players I know very little about. I'm more acquainted with the current Reims side. I would have been more interested had they not lost Thomas Gamiette, Vincent Gragnic and Julien Toudic, three of their most effective players last season. I'd like to see how new players such as Alexis Peuget and Khalid Sekkat settle tonight before jumping on them. On paper, they seem weaker than last season. So do Nantes, but for me it's a game best watched. However, one thing I would note ... Reims are historically very strong at home and Nantes poor on the road. That could swing it if you fancy a bet on this match.

Re: French League Cup 22 july 2011

As you correctly say Pavel_S' date=' Nantes haven't started the season well in terms of preparation. They lost 4-0 to Bastia last week and have lost a lot of good players, including the one bright thing in last season, Ronny Rodelin. They have, however, brought in Landry Chauvin as manager, and he will work to sort things out. Bruno Cheyrou will probably play centre-half - not sure how that'll work out - and there are a few players I know very little about. I'm more acquainted with the current Reims side. I would have been more interested had they not lost Thomas Gamiette, Vincent Gragnic and Julien Toudic, three of their most effective players last season. I'd like to see how new players such as Alexis Peuget and Khalid Sekkat settle tonight before jumping on them. On paper, they seem weaker than last season. So do Nantes, but for me it's a game best watched. However, one thing I would note ... Reims are historically very strong at home and Nantes poor on the road. That could swing it if you fancy a bet on this match.[/quote'] So everything looks like we won't see a lot of goals in this match - in starts of the seasons the teams usually don't prepare well for official games and their offensive play seems weaker than in a half of the season. Also as you said, Reims offensive power is weaker, Nantes without key strikers - Under will be the best option, but ... hmm propably I won't bet it.

Re: French League Cup 22 july 2011 Tours - Angers: Draw @ 3.19 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Cup matches are always fickle affairs and this is compounded by the fact that these are the first matches with any meaning. Angers finished last season with the second most draws (15) and Tours had 10 draws last season. Last season's encounter at Tours (20, May) finished in a 1-1 draw and the match at Angers finished 2-2. Given the circumstances, I believe the draw is the percentage bet here.