** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Tennis - 4-10 July

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Mardy Fish vs Feliciano Lopez (Davis Cup) 2.5pts Over 38.5 games - Evens with Paddy Power This is a good price for what i consider to be a line lower than it should be. Bet365 have under 40.5 at 5/6 and i would have had that price on this line. Spain have a tough task in the States if they want to progress to the next round and i think this is the match that will have the biggest say on who faces France or Germany next. That is because, to me, it has the potential to be a 5-setter as both can be great and average numerous times throughout a best of 5 match. Basically, their ability when in good form is closely matched. They both got through to the quarters at Wimbledon so there shouldn't be too much of an advantage in terms of fitness and the head-to-head record is currently at 3-2 to Fish with all his wins coming in the last 3 meetings. However, i don't think that will be too much to overcome for Lopez mentally as he has beaten the American twice on the hard courts, once in '08 and the other in '02. Lopez's serve can be effective on this surface and his ability to hold it is one of the main reasons i took this line as it increases the possibility of a tie break in the match. The chance that this will be completed in 3 sets by either player isn't too great to put me off the bet so i will happily take this with medium stakes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July

Sofia Arvidsson +3.5 vs Johanna Larsson. 1.85 @ Bwin (4/10) Polona Hercog -3 vs Barbora Zahlavova Strycova. 1.79 @ Pinnacle (6/10)
LOSS WIN Once again became a victim of a braindead performance. Arvidsson did not want to play neither before the rain delay nor after it. Really horrible performance. Tha's the 2nd time she's screwed up for me in last couple months. I'm pretty sure I'm done with her for years to come. At least Hercog managed to get the job done, but not without major stress.

Candela to win under 10.5 games - 1.95 at bwin :hope
Only the 3 games won by Cabeza - Candela so a good profit for me today, and takes me back into profit for the week :D Begu's semi against Anabel Medina is another interesting match up. I feel this one could be tight as both are good clay court players and both have had a good year on surface already. Medina is favourite but I don't think Begu will be overawed by her, and I recall her beating Kuznetsova in 3 sets in the semi final of the Marbella event this year. Odds on both the Begu outright and 2-1 Begu are very tempting but I think I will take a more cautious approach and go with over 21.5 games - 2.15 at unibet William Hill are also offering odds on the score after 2 games and after 4 games. You can get 1.73 on 1-1 and 2.3 for 2-2 which as I feel this is going to be a tight affair are very interesting odds and something I may consider after i've taken a good look at both players recent stats. :hope

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July I'll have a single play for today ... - Olivier Rochus -3.5 games (v Michael Yani) @ 1.833 with Pinnacle 7pts There's something about Newport that gets Rochus' juices flowing. He got to the final last year (lost to Fish in three) and looks poised to make the same juncture again. I was impressed by his win over Ebden, who has come on a fair bit this year, and his committment and desire can't be faulted. He battled past Jones and then saved a portfolio of break points against Mahut. He's scraped and scratched his way past opponents and I reckon he'll have too much for Yani. The American has benefitted from the sort of route that only dreams are made of for such an average player. Beating Sela in R1 is a decent showing but he was the benefactor of Haas retiring before nudging past Kudla in a slugfest yesterday. Yani, for me, is one of those average American players who probably doesn't have a passport, as he tends to play in all the Challengers that take place there. Decent enough at that level but I can see his lack of weapons and probable lack of stamina costing him dear against Rochus. The Belgian didn't lose his serve once against Ebden and is a crafty, accomplished player off the deck. He's got a lot more variaton and court nous than his American. One could cite home advantage as a reason to take Rochus on, but he is an experienced player and I can't see him getting fazed by the setting. And anyway, Newport isn't exactly the most raucous of environs. Rochus is a few clicks above Yani on the talent ladder and considering his love affair over the past 12 months with this event, he should have enough to cover this line and book his place in the final. :hope

over 21.5 games - 2.15 at unibet :hope
:\ Needed a couple of more games for this to come in, ended 6-4, 6-4 to Begu. Going for the same bet as Atko later in the Rochus vs Yani match for all of the same reasons. Rochus -3.5 games - 1.75 at bwin :hope

I'll have a single play for today ... - Olivier Rochus -3.5 games (v Michael Yani) @ 1.833 with Pinnacle 7pts There's something about Newport that gets Rochus' juices flowing. He got to the final last year (lost to Fish in three) and looks poised to make the same juncture again. I was impressed by his win over Ebden, who has come on a fair bit this year, and his committment and desire can't be faulted. He battled past Jones and then saved a portfolio of break points against Mahut. He's scraped and scratched his way past opponents and I reckon he'll have too much for Yani. The American has benefitted from the sort of route that only dreams are made of for such an average player. Beating Sela in R1 is a decent showing but he was the benefactor of Haas retiring before nudging past Kudla in a slugfest yesterday. Yani, for me, is one of those average American players who probably doesn't have a passport, as he tends to play in all the Challengers that take place there. Decent enough at that level but I can see his lack of weapons and probable lack of stamina costing him dear against Rochus. The Belgian didn't lose his serve once against Ebden and is a crafty, accomplished player off the deck. He's got a lot more variaton and court nous than his American. One could cite home advantage as a reason to take Rochus on, but he is an experienced player and I can't see him getting fazed by the setting. And anyway, Newport isn't exactly the most raucous of environs. Rochus is a few clicks above Yani on the talent ladder and considering his love affair over the past 12 months with this event, he should have enough to cover this line and book his place in the final. :hope
Good call mate, should be a good final :ok

- Olivier Rochus -3.5 games (v Michael Yani) @ 1.833 with Pinnacle 7pts WIN
+5.83pts for the day. +18.03pts for the week. Very comfortable win for Rochus. Didn't realise until after that Yani is in Bastad next week - therefore he must have a passport :p Rochus just too strong for him. Should be a good final, no bets from me today though so happy to close the week out with a good profit :ok Some good calls this week chaps, let's hope the next one is as profitable :hope

SportTennis
EventIsner v O Rochus
SelectionO Rochus
Strength10/10
Date10/07/2011
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 3.23
ReasoningI think this is a massive price on Rochus. He loves the grass and is having an excellent week. He probably won't have too many more chances in a 250 final so big match for him. He's got the game to slice and cut and give Isner a lot of problems. Isner has served well this week but his baseline game has been poor, even for him. I think Rochus has enough on return and when he gets into a rally he's big fav. I think this is priced all wrong, and would have Rochus at 2.10.

SportTennis
EventFerrer v Fish
SelectionFerrer
Strength10/10
Date10/07/2011
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.71
ReasoningReally like Ferrer tonight. He was excellent against Roddick, playing a really high level and adapted to the quick surface really well. Fish had a very tough match against Lopez, going down in 5 sets. He played well at times, but when it got close he looked nervous and struggled on serve. Pressure is on Fish now to save the tie, and I think that will hurt him. Ferrer is also a completely different match for him than Lopez, and I see it working very well for Ferrer.

Rochus -3.5 games - 1.75 at bwin :hope
Good call Atko and well done on your profits this week. I've got a small profit for the week myself and its going on; Rochus +3.5 games 1.85 at bwin If you applied this handicap to all of Isner's previous three opponents at Newport then the bet would have won in all the games. Isners serve has been strong as you would expect this week, with 75% first serves in for the last two games and plenty of aces too and I expect this to continue tonight. However I feel Rochus has the game and the experience to keep Isner close throughout and the match is likely to be won or lost on tiebreaks. Isner has been taken to a tie break in each of the last 3 games as well. A tight game like this should see this handicap covered regardless of whether Rochus wins or not. :hope

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July I won Rochus -4 yesterday, so I decided to put a small punt on Begu to win her first title today. After all, where else she should win it if not in neighbourghing Budapest. I must say, however, that Begu is unbelievable clown :cry4-2 in the decider and having three breakpoints on return to lead 5-2, Vinci all over the place. Now Begu missed easy volley and, of course, did not won a game since. I'll be damned if I ever bet on her again in the finals. edit: going for Little Olivier to beat Big John @3.050 Pinnacle kinda fun bet aimed at covering my losses from Begu bet, so no real harm will be done if this won't come through, but somehow I feel it will. Last year Rochus played really tight final against Fish, and Fish is class better than Isner. Isner is all about serve and, if the point goes through fine bounce not far from John's side of the net, he can place a nice winner. John's return is nothing special. Olivier on the other hand can play patient tennis and wait for the right time to make a passing shot. He uses alot of slices and variations, which should give John hard time this evening. As Olivier stated, he loves to play on Newport grass, because bounces are quite low, and with all his height he can access the balls quickly :-) Rochus is a beast on the grass, while Isner usually only plays Wimbledon, and that's all. Last time he played any other grass tournament was in 2008 in Newport, losing in round 1. I expect John to keep his serve in the majority of games, but he should lose one in one set, and lose the tie-break in the other. GL :hope