Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable?

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? If he was a good jockey, I would have no problem with that. The thing is, it just pisses me off even more when I see him this way along with the constant stinkers he rides day in day out. For example he goes to evening meeting in Windsor and drops out to last place off slow pace on a front runner. I mean, wtf?!?! If you don't care about it, just don't ride it. You're a professional jockey ffs. At least learn about your horse and try to be in a good position. Not drop the horse 2L off the 2nd last horse and don't care one bit if you have a chance of winning or not. There is nothing worse than that and I despise jockeys like him. They can ride well when they want, but 90% of the time they are bad for the punter. I honestly think he is a horrible person and a horrible jockey. He clearly thinks he is better than he is. It all stems from there. Mr fcuking average for me. Luckiest guy in the sport to have the Stoute job. I can name 10 jockeys and all of them claimers that will do better whith the rides he gets.

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? Yes is the answer,whether he likes it or not,i believe he has duty to promote racing and these endless unenthusiastic dull monotone answers do little to endear himself to the public. A charisma transplant is certainly needed for RYAN;)

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? Ryan's not miserable he's just very efficient and clinical in his approach. He's a young man carrying the world on his shoulders with his contracts to ride the best thoroughbreds in the world, when he's on track he's mentally in a different state of mind and focusing on achieving the best for himself and his employers.

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable?

If he was a good jockey, I would have no problem with that. The thing is, it just pisses me off even more when I see him this way along with the constant stinkers he rides day in day out. For example he goes to evening meeting in Windsor and drops out to last place off slow pace on a front runner. I mean, wtf?!?! If you don't care about it, just don't ride it. You're a professional jockey ffs. At least learn about your horse and try to be in a good position. Not drop the horse 2L off the 2nd last horse and don't care one bit if you have a chance of winning or not. There is nothing worse than that and I despise jockeys like him. They can ride well when they want, but 90% of the time they are bad for the punter. I honestly think he is a horrible person and a horrible jockey. He clearly thinks he is better than he is. It all stems from there. Mr fcuking average for me. Luckiest guy in the sport to have the Stoute job. I can name 10 jockeys and all of them claimers that will do better whith the rides he gets.
You certainly don't mince your words! ;) In his defence, he performs well on the big stage.

Yes is the answer,whether he likes it or not,i believe he has duty to promote racing and these endless unenthusiastic dull monotone answers do little to endear himself to the public. A charisma transplant is certainly needed for RYAN;)
what do you want him to do,come out set off a few fireworks and high five every one shouting "showing me the money".,do a few cartwheels while singing "she'll be coming round the mountain" ...He hates interviews...Shyness is not something that is easily over come and replaced by charisma? What's charisma anyway but a fakeness..:ok

In his defence' date=' he performs well on the big stage.[/quote'] Didn't really set the world alight with his Ascot rides, did he? His wins were on horses that were way better than the opposition. And on the rest he was pretty much awful. I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this, but I don't really care. I just don't get it. How can you not care about being a champ? He lost the title by not really giving a toss last year and is on the way of doing the same this time round. Hanagan is winning, because he tries. Not that he's anything special as a jockey himself. There are other jockeys, who are better than him. Fanning, SDS to name few. Moore has the better rides and arguably more chances than Hanagan, but he loses even on the shorties (lost their count this year) and he still can't win it. Just a matter of time before the title is between Silvestre De Sousa and Hanagan imo. Both trying hard and SDS actually having the class to be unbeatable for years. Moore is the next Spencer/Sanders. Probably just a bit luckier, because he'll hang onto that Stoute job for a few years.

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? For reference I don't really like McCoy. Ruby and Barry are better jockeys imo. Even guys like Tom O'Brien, Jamie Moore and Danny Cook I'd have on a horse over AP. But God, does he not try hard! With Ryan, lol. What would make you back a horse with confidence, when he's riding? Nothing. Noone in the game has a clue why he's supposed to be "good". It's just taken for granted. If you ask them for reasons, they'd struggle to give you much.

what do you want him to do,come out set off a few fireworks and high five every one shouting "showing me the money".,do a few cartwheels while singing "she'll be coming round the mountain" ...He hates interviews...Shyness is not something that is easily over come and replaced by charisma? What's charisma anyway but a fakeness..:ok
Rubbish.....he has a privileged position,he could make more of an effort,F DETTORI and P HANAGAN go out of their way to promote racing in an enthusiastic manner,especially FRANKIE. A few other respected hacks have said this about him,miserable and morose,not the ideal ambassador for racing. BTW....is RYAN planning on going to HOLLYWOOD just in case they do a sequel for JERRY MCGUIRE?:lol

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? Moore is a top class jockey and will be in the top 5 for the next few years. He does his talking on the track rather than in front of journalists which is fine with me. He's a shy person and doesn't look comfortable in front of the camera so why do we need to see him give long interviews. He's just a jockey , why are people asking him to front the horse racing industry. Its like asking Dimitar Berbatov to be spokeman for the Premier League because he was top goalscorer. Leave him alone , all he wants to do is ride horses. Leave the showmanship / self promoting / quiz shows to people like Dettori.

Leave him alone , all he wants to do is ride horses. Leave the showmanship / self promoting / quiz shows to people like Dettori.
I know what you are saying Erhaab, but racing is trying to make the sport more accessible to punters and giving interviews is all part of the game, Dettori loves all the attention when it goes right but even he heads for the hills when it all goes down the kermit

Yes is the answer,whether he likes it or not,i believe he has duty to promote racing and these endless unenthusiastic dull monotone answers do little to endear himself to the public. A charisma transplant is certainly needed for RYAN;)
I remember seeing 1 interview where even the annoying Thompson got short shrift from the glumpire, car crash TV at its finest

Moore is a top class jockey and will be in the top 5 for the next few years. He does his talking on the track rather than in front of journalists which is fine with me. He's a shy person and doesn't look comfortable in front of the camera so why do we need to see him give long interviews. He's just a jockey , why are people asking him to front the horse racing industry. Its like asking Dimitar Berbatov to be spokeman for the Premier League because he was top goalscorer. Leave him alone , all he wants to do is ride horses. Leave the showmanship / self promoting / quiz shows to people like Dettori.
Nice piece mate, got to agree 110% :ok

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? Whilst I accept that the likes of Dettori would jump at the opening of a fridge door, racing has to raise its profile and media interviews are considered part of the process, you dont see Hayley Turner turning any interviews down, despite her *ahem* cough liasion with Mr Spencer and I dont mean Frank!

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? How is a 3 minute interview going to promote horse racing . Basically a lot of people are a bit cheesed off because they want to hear about the chances of a Ryan Moore mount , so they can lump on with confidence , nothing to do with promoting the sport. When Dettori does it it to promote himself. I remember buying from Iceland ( foodstore ) about 10 years ago , Frankie Dettori's frozen pizzas , tinned tomatoes and kidney beans , don't think the range lasted more than a few months. What about his vidoes , books , restaurants even the Frankie Dettori Board Game. Anyone remember him fronting Top of the Pops about 15 years ago FFS !!

How is a 3 minute interview going to promote horse racing . Basically a lot of people are a bit cheesed off because they want to hear about the chances of a Ryan Moore mount , so they can lump on with confidence , nothing to do with promoting the sport. When Dettori does it it to promote himself. I remember buying from Iceland ( foodstore ) about 10 years ago , Frankie Dettori's frozen pizzas , tinned tomatoes and kidney beans , don't think the range lasted more than a few months. What about his vidoes , books , restaurants even the Frankie Dettori Board Game. Anyone remember him fronting Top of the Pops about 15 years ago FFS !!
I take your point he was everywhere, never tried his pizza's and as for all his other stuff they can sometimes be found on Ebay Dettori does have the ego the size of a small country I grant you but Moore's current attitude reminds me of a young Lester Piggott

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? Ryan Moore got some stick in the Weekender this week from Simon Holt, as did Stoutey. He said for the little input and effort Stoute put into an interview on the Morning Line he might as well have not bothered. Also had a go at Moore for his reluctance to speak with the media or give anything away, reply with one word answers etc. It begs the question really, what media responsibilities do the jockeys and trainers have, if any? In other sports they have to talk to the media after an event, footy managers questioned after a win/loss as an example (unless you're Scottish and manage a team from Manchester) but as far as I'm aware the jockeys/trainers do not have to give interviews so should it be made mandatory for them to say a few words or left as it is? The one thing I can't stand is presenters going out onto the track to get an interview when the horse has only just finished the race, hardly chance for a jockey to grab their breath and they have a microphone shoved under their nose for the often pointless soundbites. I think the jockeys should be allowed back to the parade ring, have a chat with trainer, owners etc and only then be asked for an interview. One of these days the presenters are going to go out on track and end up getting kicked by one of the horses as they try to grab their post race interview.

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? 'What media responsibilities do the jockeys have'? That's a great point Phil. Personally I don't think they have any. It is their responsibility to ride for the owners and if I was an owner I wouldn't want my jockey blabbing. William Carson gave a superb interview on ATR the other week after Cheylesmore won at Brighton if you were the owner. They'd had it off big time yet he came over as surprised to the media. If I was an owner I wouldn't want my jockey blabbing to any reporters or bigging up my horse in the papers as I'd want to get the best price possible. Racing and gambling go hand in hand so IKd say its unlike others sports with more media friendly personalities. How many other sports diplays odds next to the results? (Greyhounds the only other that instantly comes to mind). Some may argue that Moore refuses to comment on horses whose form chances are obvious so he saves little info for the owners when he is riding the big names but I understand in general why he doesn't like to speak plenty. I suppose the moral of the story (as I found to my detriment with Fallon this week after reading the weekender) is to ignore most of what trainers and jockeys have to say anyway and trust your own judgement. There have been counless Nicholls examples. Bin Suroor said Delegator would need the run in the Duke Of York, I remember James Given saying he knew Indian Days well and that he would need the run but won a group race earlier in the year, and now the Fallon episode. I suppose it is the journalists that chase the jockeys and trainers for the info as they are looking for pages to fill but at the end of the day their comments have to be taken with a pinch of salt so maybe Moore keeping his cards close to his chest is a good thing.

Ryan Moore got some stick in the Weekender this week from Simon Holt, as did Stoutey. He said for the little input and effort Stoute put into an interview on the Morning Line he might as well have not bothered. Also had a go at Moore for his reluctance to speak with the media or give anything away, reply with one word answers etc. The one thing I can't stand is presenters going out onto the track to get an interview when the horse has only just finished the race, hardly chance for a jockey to grab their breath and they have a microphone shoved under their nose for the often pointless soundbites.
Yes the biggest culprit is the Thompson

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? Im just not wearing this insistence from some on here that Moore is a "shy, quiet, timid" sort of bloke. He's made snidey remarks towards just about every member of the racing media. That is not the actions of an unassuming individual to me. He really is just a miserable, pig headed so and so who treats those in the media with an astonishing lack of respect just because they've never been on horseback.

Im just not wearing this insistence from some on here that Moore is a "shy, quiet, timid" sort of bloke. He's made snidey remarks towards just about every member of the racing media. That is not the actions of an unassuming individual to me. He really is just a miserable, pig headed so and so who treats those in the media with an astonishing lack of respect just because they've never been on horseback.
Maybe he is or maybe he isn't. Doesn't mean he has to give interviews , he can choose not to give them or give one word answers , either are acceptable to me.

Re: Is Ryan Moore Genuinely Miserable? Lester had an couple of excuses , he had no charisma and he has a speech impediment. I recall watching a programme many years ago , and the voiceover said that Bulgarian journalists asked Lester about the race in fluent English and Lester replied about the race in fluent Bulgarian.

Maybe he is or maybe he isn't. Doesn't mean he has to give interviews ' date=' he can choose not to give them or give one word answers , either are acceptable to me.[/quote'] For one reason or another Moore has been one of the leading names under the flat code for the last 3 or years. That brings with it certain privileges and alongside them come certain obligations imo. None moreso in the lead up to the derby this year. He was the same, monotone, miserable as sin, seemingly un-coperative bu9ger despite it being the best opportunity flat racing has had for as long as I can remember to promote itself to the wider public. I admit there are huge differences between each others situation but could you ever see the racing media getting behind Moore in the same way they did for Mcoy to be BBC SPOTY? The reasons are simple imo, Moore would do more harm than good if he was under such backing imo. Personally I wish the journo's would just leave him alone and stopped asking him questions pre and post race. Certainly the tv ones anyway, his demeanour in front of the cameras does the sport no favours whatsoever.