chart_off.gif Hampton & Richmond 33
chart_off.gif Staines Town 33
chart_off.gif Tonbridge Angels 33
chart_off.gif Weston-super-Mare 33
chart_off.gif Dorchester Town 50
chart_off.gif Maidenhead United 50
chart_off.gif Thurrock 100
Place terms ( Highlight E/W  ) 3 1/4
Link to current winner prices: http://odds-comparison.bestbetting.com/football/england/conference-south/winner

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Woking are in to 7s at BlueSQ Bet today after a crop of decent signings, following on from Dale Binns last week. Adam Newton is a surprise but should be an excellent performer at this level. Jay Davies and Guiseppe Sole have also rejoined - a Hammond/Sole forward line looks pretty decent. With Chelmsford City spending a bit and Dover having added usefully, the edge of the section has been suddenly sharpened. It looks pretty competitive at the top end.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12

Do you have any idea when step three will be priced up? Have any of the bookmakers given a date?
I've had answers from most of them and the standard reply is a couple of weeks before the season starts. Corals say they are not doing them, but I'll believe that when I see it. Two asked me for my selections so their traders could price them up - a mere fishing exercise!

What dou make of Eastbournes chances Ships?
I think they'll be competitive. Though they've lost Jamie Taylor, the signings have been solid and they've a management team who know the score down here. But as things stand there's nothing approaching value in the prices available.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Bet365 have joined the party today. The only real quibble is with Dartford, who finished pretty well last season and in squad terms look well capable of mixing it over the season. 16s is a mite generous. Interesting to see that none of the bookies are rating Welling United and Sutton United. At this stage, Salisbury City look a touch high in the betting.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Dover Athletic are still heading the betting in two out of three books, but conformation that Adam Birchall has formally handed in a transfer request today is a reminder that the crown jewels will probably be sold at some point this summer. Still, they'll be sitting on a decent cash pile.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Dover's Mark Birchall has gone to Swindon Town. It should allow them some wiggle room in the transfer market, but on balance I think the effect on the side's chances this season are a touch negative. I still think Woking and Chelmsford should be ahead of Dover in the betting, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who insists on Woking being favourites - a squad freshened up with excellent signings, a proven manager and some momentum from last season: a lot of boxes are being ticked.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Interesting friendly tonight with Dartford hosting Southend. Dartford - who I expect to go well this season and are credible EW antepost play at 20s with Corals - are available at 2/1 in places. I wouldn't put anyone off that - last season, Dartford won against Southend pre-season, though that was at a better price than this and against a Southend side with one contracted player. Southend are playing split squads tonight, with - I believe - the strongest side out first half, with triallists making up the numbers in the second (including Welling's Jack Parkinson). It's tempting to risk something on the HT Southend/FT Dartford at 33/1 at VCBet.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Newly-promoted Salisbury City came back in for pre-season training on 4th July and play their first friendly tonight when Bristol Rovers are the visitors. Reportedly Salisbury will rotate their squad and have a look at a few trialists. By contrast Bristol Rovers have already played 2 friendlies - a comfortable win at Mangotsfield and a decent 2-0 with at Bath City. New manager, Paul Buckle, is using his full 20-man squad and it looks like they have all had at least 90 minutes on the pitch. Buckle has brought in some trusty regulars like keeper Scott Bevan, strikers Scott McGleish and Matt Harrold, plus Torquay's leading scorer from last season, Chris Zebrowski. With the usual health warning about these early friendlies, I think Bristol Rovers, with match fitness and player quality on their side, are a value bet at evens with Ladbrokes on their -0.5 Asian handicap market (bet 365 are similar).

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 No joy with my Dartford/Southend play, but a superb analysis by Labrador on Bristol Rovers tonight - they looked very sharp by all accounts. Thanks also to Bet365 tonight, who forgot all about the maximum they usually restrict me to - just pre-season ring-rustiness, I'm sure.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Boreham Wood - fresh from a 2-2 draw with Watford on Saturday - face Dagenham & Redbridge tonight, who are playing their first friendly. 6/1 is an attractive price about Wood, who have been squad building well in the summer (Daryl McMahon is a key signing), but a more appealing play for me is over 3.5 goals at 7/5 with VCbet. Neither side has been that good at defending in recent times, and I think Wood's gameplan this season will be to attack with gusto.

Boreham Wood - fresh from a 2-2 draw with Watford on Saturday - face Dagenham & Redbridge tonight' date=' who are playing their first friendly. 6/1 is an attractive price about Wood, who have been squad building well in the summer (Daryl McMahon is a key signing), but a more appealing play for me is over 3.5 goals at 7/5 with VCbet. Neither side has been that good at defending in recent times, and I think Wood's gameplan this season will be to attack with gusto.[/quote'] http://forum.punterslounge.com/f8/club-friendlies-tuesday-12th-july-118973/ :ok Just wrote up on this one

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 I haven't had much time to write anything up in the antepost threads, but I'm seeing Woking as decent favourites in the South. A caveat is that I've made a habit of going with Woking in July and singularly failed to have much joy but the momentum from last season under Garry Hill can't be ignored, especially as they have added to the squad in shrewd fashion. The spine of the team looks much improved with Mark Ricketts and Jack King able to get through plenty of water-carrying. I've watched King since his Didcot days and he's perfectly at home in the upper reaches of the Conference South. I suspect Woking will be operating with a flexible 5-4-1 formation, with widemen Dale Binns and Guiseppe Sole joining the excellent Elvis Hammond in attack. Adam Newton looks set to start at right back. Defensively, I've a slight question mark over the Inns/McNerney pairing, though that is merely quibbling. Anything above 6/1 - still available at Corbett - was an excellent price, and I think those firms that have them at 5/1 favourites are about right. They are worth tossing into any EW league-winner accas. Dover Athletic mean business this season and - despite the loss of Adam Birchall - look very decent. George Purcell is the latest to join and if he is fit and firing, he could well be a major player this season. They played some excellent stuff last season, but were often too easy to pick off at home. Though there is a touch more pace about the side I'm not sure there is enough to make them gilt-edged favourites, and that's why I favour Woking - for me, Woking have a better match-winner-to-shirts ratio, and probably a better portfolio of fringe players. Chelmsford City announced their intention to spend their way out of the section, which pricked up the ears of the bookies (and any listening agents - the squad is currently bulked up with triallists). I have been impressed with the signings Glenn Pennyfather has made, however, and they will go very well I'm sure. The 8/1 available at Skybet is about right. Eastbourne Borough - 9s with Bet365 - have plenty of appeal, although they don't seem to be attracting much money in the betting. This is a touch surprising as a good number of the squad know what's required down here. They'll need to find a way of replacing the goals of Jamie Taylor, but I think they are a decent shout for the play-offs. Elsewhere, Boreham Wood have been spending big, and after some early price trims have settled into a price between 11s and 16s. About right, I'd say - it'll take time for them to gel, but they will be an excellent play in selected matches. The best play of the bigger numbers for me is 20/1 Dartford at Corals. The squad isn't much changed, but they had a very decent second half to the season. They still look defensively light, though the summer additions have strengthened the squad a whole. A very possible play-off shout and a sporting EW play for me. Of the other prices down the list, I wonder if the best value might be Sutton United, at around 20s. They are a decent squad, full of quality, and they have added some very decent larkers. If they get on a run they could be difficult to stop, but this season Paul Doswell will be up against cannier managers. They won't be able to overpower sides like they did last season. If I were to name a top five, in order, I'd go with Woking, Dover Athletic, Dartford, Eastbourne Borough and Chelmsford City. My plays are Woking outright and Dartford EW. For value EW trebles across the three top leagues, I've taken both Woking and Dartford with Newport and Nuneaton.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 It's also worth backing Woking tonight at home to a Reading XI - 11/10 at Billy Hills and 6/5 at Boodog. Woking will probably blood one or two triallists, but Reading are on tour in Central Europe and have two proper friendlies of their own to negotiate today. Coming to Woking is the youth development squad, which will no doubt have some excellent performers, but could possibly be too inexperienced.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Thought you'd be on Woking tonight, Ships;). My slight concern is that Woking will chop and change a great deal during the 2nd half, as they did when losing 0-3 to Arsenal's Academy XI. Their official website suggests that will be the case: http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/home/ The young Reading lads have already had a couple of friendlies and beat Swindon Supermarine 3-0. Given the inevitable 2nd half changes, I think the value may lie with backing Woking HT/FT at 13/5 with Bet 365. It's possible that their core Blue Square South team will build up a couple of goals advantage over the Reading development squad before the substitutions kick in.

Thought you'd be on Woking tonight' date=' Ships;). My slight concern is that Woking will chop and change a great deal during the 2nd half, as they did when losing 0-3 to Arsenal's Academy XI. Their official website suggests that will be the case: [url']http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/home/ The young Reading lads have already had a couple of friendlies and beat Swindon Supermarine 3-0. Given the inevitable 2nd half changes, I think the value may lie with backing Woking HT/FT at 13/5 with Bet 365. It's possible that their core Blue Square South team will build up a couple of goals advantage over the Reading development squad before the substitutions kick in.
Fair enough points, Labrador. I like the HT/FT shout and you can also get 7/4 (Hills/Bet365) on Woking to be leading at HT. Brett Williams, who scored at Swindon Super for Reading, is one of the more experienced reserves and is missing tonight. It's more likely to be the side that drew 2-2 at an admittedly decent Poole Town, needing a last-gasp equaliser.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 Interesting times at Farnborough but 20's seems generous. Haylock is proven at this level and got Hayes and Yeading up. I know most of last seasons squad have gone so Boro could go full time (and Bradley Bubb went to Aldershot) and it will take time for the new boys to gell but a decent young squad is being put together. Slow start expected but may make the top five.

Interesting times at Farnborough but 20's seems generous. Haylock is proven at this level and got Hayes and Yeading up. I know most of last seasons squad have gone so Boro could go full time (and Bradley Bubb went to Aldershot) and it will take time for the new boys to gell but a decent young squad is being put together. Slow start expected but may make the top five.
I think your right to suggest that it will be a slow start for Farnborough. There's every chance that 20s will be 40s soon rather than later, so perhaps it's best to wait if you think they will be competitive after the autumn and can make up the difference. My own feeling is that this season's battle will be to stay in this section - they should achieve that by some margin. I think Gary Haylock has a longer term vision than this season. By the way, odd that some many of last season's squad will be playing under King at Lewes next season.

Id be looking to back Farnborough next season rather than this. They remind me a lot of Stalybridge in the North.
Do they wear the same kit?

Do they wear the same kit?
No lol. They went pro last season got a lot of youngsters in, struggled to start with and then finished the season well. I fancy them to go close this season and they also have a good manager. I can see Farnborough doing the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 I would love to know why, at the time of writing, Betfred have Dover as favourites over Woking. Woking for me are the strongest fancy this year in the non-league ante post markets. They were destined for mid-table obscurity until Gary Hill came in as manager and he turned things around big time, getting them into the play-offs. He has now had a pre-season to shape the team into how he wants it and the signings he has made look impressive. Pre-season has gone well and I have to say it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they walked away with this league as they look much stronger than the rest. At 11/2 they are the biggest priced favourites in non-league which is another reason why they are a cracking bet. Away from Woking it is wide open and it’s hard to name one team that could be the main danger. Dover won me a bundle last year but the loss of Adam Birchall is massive and although George Purcell is a solid replacement he isn’t in the same class. Their poor home form needs improving but I will be keeping a close eye to see if they are going to be as strong away as they were last year. Chelmsford have increased the budget and should be play-off contenders, Eastbourne look solid and can go well, as should the promoted duo Salisbury and Sutton. Boreham Wood have spent a bit of money over the summer and are ones to watch as they need to improve a fair bit on what they did last season, but they may be capable of doing just that.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet South 2011-12 NLP today is agreeing with Ships that Sutton at 20's look good - momentum from a pre-season which includes credible draws with AFC Wimbledon and a West Ham developmental team, a 5-1 win at Kingstonian and a 3-0 victory over Carshalton Athletic at home, plus excellent work ethic. They're also touting Welling United who just missed out on a play-off place last year and have retained Loick Pires and captain Jack Parkinson despite both having been on trials at League clubs. 16-1 considered value in their eyes (available at SkyBet and BlueSquare)