** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season It's going to be a tough league again next season so I wouldn't mind seeing the odds on pompey being relegated next season. Although Cotterill seems to have some fans, as a Burnley fan it was one of the best days of my life when he left us. His football when he was with us was appalling, it was to sit back and TRY to defend and as soon as we conceded we had no back up plan. Unless pompey can replace who theyve lost in what will definately be a stronger league next season they could struggle in my opinion.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Agree with a number of points that Jason has made. With malky mackay now at the helm, I'm waiting to see what players come in. The list of players released from premier clubs is certainly a goldmine for championship clubs - wages may be big but there's no transfer fee to compensate. With regards to Bellamy, if we are gonna get him back, ex-teammate mackay may give us more hope than shearer :lol I'm hearing about large sums of money being made available to mackay but my previous point about no-one outside the boardroom actually knowing applies again here. We're building again, tricky question is to know how quickly. I'm still looking at us finishing in a position that rules us out of being backed in either Market.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Agree with a number of points that Jason has made. With malky mackay now at the helm, I'm waiting to see what players come in. The list of players released from premier clubs is certainly a goldmine for championship clubs - wages may be big but there's no transfer fee to compensate. With regards to Bellamy, if we are gonna get him back, ex-teammate mackay may give us more hope than shearer :lol I'm hearing about large sums of money being made available to mackay but my previous point about no-one outside the boardroom actually knowing applies again here. We're building again, tricky question is to know how quickly. I'm still looking at us finishing in a position that rules us out of being backed in either Market.
How much money do they have o spent for?Could you estimate it please if you don't know?

How much money do they have o spent for?Could you estimate it please if you don't know?
Difficult to say mate, no one seems to know. Have heard up to £5m but maybe much higher or lower :\ I'm expecting us to sign some decent players but money may go towards wages over transfer fees - given the list of released players from the prem last season, it might not be a bad option. Cant give a more concrete answer but looking forward to finding out myself. Still think we aren't top 3 material without major changes...

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season It will be a tough but interesting league next season. Last season I thought there was little between all the teams. Teams that got a good spirit, played sensible football, and had positive momentum going flew, despite having limitations. Norwich got promotion by nicking games with late goals. I have had a little dabble on my team, the Boro at 16/1 on bet365 and may trade it in season on Betfair. Mogga appears to have stopped the rot of the last 3 years. He was was forced to sell O'Neill and Wheater in the January window. He still has no money to spend unless players leave. The form since Xmas was remarkable winning at Preston, Millwall, Cardiff, Sheffield United and Hull, despite having to put up with selling players and a lot of injuries. The odds last year were completely silly based in the main on buying Kris Boyd and Kevin Thomson even though the team had struggled under Strachan the previous season. Boyd was poor and Thomson injured nearly all season. The odds are better value this season and the expectations not as high which takes the pressure off. There is a crop of young players coming through that are best seen at the club since the days of Downing, Adam Johnson, Cattermole & Co. Steele and Bennett are in the England U21 squad and Rhys Williams plays for the Aussie first team. McMahon, Bates, Taylor (contract up next week) have represented England under 21 in the past. Luke Williams is a regular England under 19 with Richard Smallwood pushing for a under 21 place. I have also put a few quid on Ipswich as well. They were 26.0 on Betfair and have the resources to push for promotion as proved by the Chopra signing. They have a solid set up. There are plenty of teams to be respected - the relegated sides have a big financial advantage - but they will need to adjust quickly with very changed squads. The rest of the division will love to get at West Ham, Birmingham and Leicester. Southampton and Brighton finished on positives which is important, but I think they will find it tougher than Norwich and Leeds did last season. Brighton have lost their strange little ground which proved so fruitful. Reading I admired last season, but they have to overcome the disappointment of the play offs. Cardiff must have thought their chance was last season. Blackpool have a great spirit, but they are no longer the big underdogs any longer and will be a scalp instead. Millwall and Watford have lost their star strikers. Leeds with their fan base and big set up will be a threat, but they lost momentum in the second half of the season after looking almost play off certainities they could bounce back but funds seems limited there.

40s is pure gold :loon We've signed David Norris, and are after another five or so players. We should have a fair amount of cash to splash about, but I wouldn't expect big money signings in respect of transfer fees, as there are plenty of frees floating about. The three clubs that came down from the prem let go something like fifty players or something....A Championship club doesn't really need to spend big these days, with foreign imports flooding the market at the very top, forcing the good English players down the ladder. What money we are getting from the sale of the club has already gone on our training ground, and will probably go toward facilities in the main.
David Norris and Jason Pearce have already signed but according to reports we have bid for Luke Varney (750k), Martin Paterson (1.5m) and Peter Whitingham (1.5m). This is encouraging news and the 14's about us gaining promotion is starting to look tasty. I like that we are signing players that work hard and in the case of Norris and Pearce, are leaders who captained their previous sides which was lacking last year.

David Norris and Jason Pearce have already signed but according to reports we have bid for Luke Varney (750k), Martin Paterson (1.5m) and Peter Whitingham (1.5m). This is encouraging news and the 14's about us gaining promotion is starting to look tasty.
I'm sure reports could easily link back to us signing Fabregas in a cut price deal :) tbh I'd rather see us snap up players with a bit of flair, rather than grafters that are ten a penny in this league. We had the lowest chance creation ratio in the league last season, but were often very hard to beat, so for me it's the creativity that needs looking at.

I'm sure reports could easily link back to us signing Fabregas in a cut price deal :) tbh I'd rather see us snap up players with a bit of flair, rather than grafters that are ten a penny in this league. We had the lowest chance creation ratio in the league last season, but were often very hard to beat, so for me it's the creativity that needs looking at.
Very true. Still, its nice to see us acutally linked with decent players and splashing a little bit of cash for once.

Very true. Still' date=' its nice to see us acutally linked with decent players and splashing a little bit of cash for once.[/quote'] :eek Yeah, because that worked out well for us the last time ;)

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season We've no chance unless we see some action in the next few weeks. Apart from Schmeichel I wasn't too fussed for keeping anyone that's left..... Kilkenny spent more time in the referee's ear than tackling, Johnson was useless unless Sky were televising etc. I do wish we'd get rid of Paynter though. Grayson did an interview in the paper saying he's still very much part of his plans despite scoring only one goal in 20-odd games :@ We desperately need a left back, a centre half and three midfielders. Oh and a goalie now too :eyes I'd have been tempted to part with Snodgrass for the £4m Norwich were offering and using that money to build a team to compete. My issue with us last season was that we had a lot of players kicking their heels, a big squad but after the first 12 or 13 nobody who you'd trust to do the job we needed.

It will be a tough but interesting league next season. Last season I thought there was little between all the teams. Teams that got a good spirit, played sensible football, and had positive momentum going flew, despite having limitations. Norwich got promotion by nicking games with late goals. I have had a little dabble on my team, the Boro at 16/1 on bet365 and may trade it in season on Betfair. Mogga appears to have stopped the rot of the last 3 years. He was was forced to sell O'Neill and Wheater in the January window. He still has no money to spend unless players leave. The form since Xmas was remarkable winning at Preston, Millwall, Cardiff, Sheffield United and Hull, despite having to put up with selling players and a lot of injuries. The odds last year were completely silly based in the main on buying Kris Boyd and Kevin Thomson even though the team had struggled under Strachan the previous season. Boyd was poor and Thomson injured nearly all season. The odds are better value this season and the expectations not as high which takes the pressure off. There is a crop of young players coming through that are best seen at the club since the days of Downing, Adam Johnson, Cattermole & Co. Steele and Bennett are in the England U21 squad and Rhys Williams plays for the Aussie first team. McMahon, Bates, Taylor (contract up next week) have represented England under 21 in the past. Luke Williams is a regular England under 19 with Richard Smallwood pushing for a under 21 place.
Agree with that there. Would also add that we seem to have a good team spirit, something which is massively important in any league. Mogga has a good record in this division, and even north of the border, in situations where he hasn't had much cash to spend. The fans are firmly behind him and will give him more time than a lot of other gaffers get. I won't be getting involved with anything until i see some of the outgoings as i still fear bigger side's coming in for players like Bennett, Williams and also Emnes who was a key figure for us last season. The 14s on Forest looks tempting at the moment but i would probably leave it until the middle of next month before seriously considering putting my money down on anyone.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season A decent signing for Cardiff if Andy Taylor goes! His defending ain't the greatest but can play in a number of positions, will work his socks off getting up and down the line and clearly gets on with the gaffer there. He will get away with frequently drifting inside from his left-back position in this league 80% of the time. I can't see Cardiff fighting for automatic promotion, at the moment. I have seen some talk about the chance of relegation on other forums but i reckon they will have too much to be battling down that end.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Cardiff has signed Cowie from Watford and Bellamy could be back soon.He is left out of Mancini at Manchester City and therefore he could be back at Cardiff. 2 or 3 more strikers expect Bellamy and then 1 defender and 1 midfielder nad they might have good chances of a play off place.

@Jase82 Any news for Portsmouth.Have signed anyone expect Pearce and Norris?Are their rumours of other players leaving or coming to Pompey?
Nope :ok We were supposed to be signing Luke Varney last Tuesday, but that's died a death....Watch this space. Currently we have about 12 or 13 fit players, so I would expect at least another 6 signings, and :hope theyre all frees ;)
Cardiff has signed Cowie from Watford and Bellamy could be back soon.He is left out of Mancini at Manchester City and therefore he could be back at Cardiff. 2 or 3 more strikers expect Bellamy and then 1 defender and 1 midfielder nad they might have good chances of a play off place.
tbh, I think talk of Cardiff is a bit old hat. They will for certain have the players capable of challenging, but whether they can get it together or not is pure pot luck. And to me they look likely to weaken slightly. Ultimately it's very similar to suggesting Manchester United will challenge this season for the Premier League....Just quite run of the mill stuff.

We've no chance unless we see some action in the next few weeks. Apart from Schmeichel I wasn't too fussed for keeping anyone that's left..... Kilkenny spent more time in the referee's ear than tackling, Johnson was useless unless Sky were televising etc. I do wish we'd get rid of Paynter though. Grayson did an interview in the paper saying he's still very much part of his plans despite scoring only one goal in 20-odd games :@ We desperately need a left back, a centre half and three midfielders. Oh and a goalie now too :eyes I'd have been tempted to part with Snodgrass for the £4m Norwich were offering and using that money to build a team to compete. My issue with us last season was that we had a lot of players kicking their heels, a big squad but after the first 12 or 13 nobody who you'd trust to do the job we needed.
Totally agree with every word of this. Hard to see us challenging for the playoffs unless comething changes in the next couple of weeks.

Nope :ok We were supposed to be signing Luke Varney last Tuesday, but that's died a death....Watch this space. Currently we have about 12 or 13 fit players, so I would expect at least another 6 signings, and :hope theyre all frees ;) tbh, I think talk of Cardiff is a bit old hat. They will for certain have the players capable of challenging, but whether they can get it together or not is pure pot luck. And to me they look likely to weaken slightly. Ultimately it's very similar to suggesting Manchester United will challenge this season for the Premier League....Just quite run of the mill stuff.
Do you really think that Manchester United is not the favourite for the coming Premier League season?Their team is almost finished.Arsenal is falling apart,Chelsea still needs to buy some players and Man City is no team in my eyes.

Do you really think that Manchester United is not the favourite for the coming Premier League season?Their team is almost finished.Arsenal is falling apart' date='Chelsea still needs to buy some players and Man City is no team in my eyes.[/quote'] :sad That's not the point I was making :ok

Is kinda the same for Cardiff but different jase - the new manager being the crucial aspect. I like save jones and think he'll do well again in the future but the end of season self-destruction became something both fans and players walked into. I think we're gonna be banana skins both in the 1x2 betting for a while and season betting.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Mackail Smith signed for Brighton, very interesting move considering the interest from much bigger clubs. Think the fees being talked about were far to high, he's slightly over rated in my opinion, still got a lot to prove at this level. Big signal of intent from Brighton though, everything seems to be going too well there, something's bound to go wrong soon :lol

Mackail Smith signed for Brighton' date=' very interesting move considering the interest from much bigger clubs. Think the fees being talked about were far to high, he's slightly over rated in my opinion, still got a lot to prove at this level. Big signal of intent from Brighton though, everything seems to be going too well there, something's bound to go wrong soon :lol[/quote'] £3.25million is the fee it reportedly could reach :unsure Just makes me wonder about Brighton as promotion candidates. Saw with Norwich, and to a lesser extent, Leeds and Millwall, what can happen with a bit of momentum. Nice, new stadium as well. 8.00 for promotion, I believe.

Mackail Smith signed for Brighton' date=' very interesting move considering the interest from much bigger clubs. Think the fees being talked about were far to high, he's slightly over rated in my opinion, still got a lot to prove at this level. Big signal of intent from Brighton though, everything seems to be going too well there, something's bound to go wrong soon :lol[/quote'] Its a lot of money for a guy who has tried and failed at this level before, maybe hes a far better player now but still a huge gamble for that money imo.

Is kinda the same for Cardiff but different jase - the new manager being the crucial aspect. I like save jones and think he'll do well again in the future but the end of season self-destruction became something both fans and players walked into. I think we're gonna be banana skins both in the 1x2 betting for a while and season betting.
If the news is true about goodwillie signing and Bellamy does come back (doesnt look as likely now as Celtic are willing to spend the entire worth of their club on him it seems) the side is taking shape. I think the key will be keeping that defense and both keepers fit, its thin for cover at the moment but I think it is a decent unit now with taylor having signed.

Its a lot of money for a guy who has tried and failed at this level before' date=' maybe hes a far better player now but still a huge gamble for that money imo.[/quote'] Well, he only played one season at this level in a Peterborough side that couldn't defend. And he still scored eleven goals from midfield. I think to suggest he's failed at that level is a tad harsh on the lad. He could flop again, but I'd like to give him time and see what he can do in a better equippped side. Gus Poyet seems to be intimating that he's going to build the side around him, so we'll see....

Well' date=' he only played one season at this level in a Peterborough side that couldn't defend. And he still scored eleven goals from midfield. I think to suggest he's failed at that level is a tad harsh on the lad. He could flop again, but I'd like to give him time and see what he can do in a better equippped side. Gus Poyet seems to be intimating that he's going to build the side around him, so we'll see....[/quote'] I agree, very harsh to say he failed. 11 goals for a team bottom of the league, couldnt defend for toffee and on his first attempt at that level isnt bad.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I still think anything over a million for him is a lot. He wasnt a youngster then, hes unproven at best at championship level. I actually saw him play for peterboro twice in that season and he was definately playing up front when I saw him. Last year he looked like a flat track bully to me, I think he has a bit more about him than the usual type of player that racks up goals in the lower leagues but he still could definately struggle for goals in the Championship. He is a bit of a journeyman in truth and for 3 million I feel you could expect a bit more than his record suggests he is capable of. Time will tell I guess but if Cardiff had bought him for that money I would be annoyed.

If the news is true about goodwillie signing and Bellamy does come back (doesnt look as likely now as Celtic are willing to spend the entire worth of their club on him it seems) the side is taking shape. I think the key will be keeping that defense and both keepers fit' date=' its thin for cover at the moment but I think it is a decent unit now with taylor having signed.[/quote'] Will be strange to have a left back who seems half decent! The Brighton signing has made me think a bit more about their intentions too - if poyet stays the season, they should be top half, at least... So many potentials developing in this division as usual!