** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Good post Belly. I have backed you in the first game mainly because of the Wrexham situation as whats going on is not good and I, like Ships, think you could go well this year as well. I think the price is a decent one given whats going on. Darlo will draw to many away games for me but they are one of many in with a play-off chance. Im with you on Willmott but given he was 150/1 Im not going to knock Kev for having an interest but I would be amazed if he was top scorer. Im sure we all hope Wrexham survive but time is hardly on their side sadly.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Just an update on our situation. The WST spokesman is of the view that the deal can be completed next week. Certainly things are looking a bit more positive now (I think the owner is slowly realising that he cannot run far enough it the club goes tits up) and Saunders and Carey both think the club will be ok, although missing two friendlies won't be great and I would reckon one or two agents will be whispering in their clients ears about seeking a move away. The official Supporters Federation has been active in setting up a bank account to pay the players wages, with donations welcome. The players, according to assorted posts on Twitter, have been really chuffed at the efforts the fans are making. Several ex players have been contacted and are willing to play in a fans v players game and, following Saunders saying on Friday that a player was wondering how to pay for his kids party, a collection in a pub raised over £400 for it. I am a little more positive now and, if it comes off and we play our remaining friendlies, I am more than happy with the way pre season has gone on on the pitch.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12

Just an update on our situation. The WST spokesman is of the view that the deal can be completed next week. Certainly things are looking a bit more positive now (I think the owner is slowly realising that he cannot run far enough it the club goes tits up) and Saunders and Carey both think the club will be ok, although missing two friendlies won't be great and I would reckon one or two agents will be whispering in their clients ears about seeking a move away. The official Supporters Federation has been active in setting up a bank account to pay the players wages, with donations welcome. The players, according to assorted posts on Twitter, have been really chuffed at the efforts the fans are making. Several ex players have been contacted and are willing to play in a fans v players game and, following Saunders saying on Friday that a player was wondering how to pay for his kids party, a collection in a pub raised over £400 for it. I am a little more positive now and, if it comes off and we play our remaining friendlies, I am more than happy with the way pre season has gone on on the pitch.
Good news, BB! If there is a steady stream of positive news there could be just be that euphoria effect, though I'd guess there could be the odd twist and turn before the start of the season. I suspect the Cambridge game will be a cracker to be at.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Blue Square's Alan Alger has done his annual prediction for where he thinks everyone is going to finish in the Non-League Paper today. Got to say I dont really disagree with him too much although I would have Gateshead higher than 18thas I think they could be the surprise package this year along with Cambridge. The teams hes got in the top 5 (York, Fleetwood, Darlo, Newport and Luton) looks pretty solid to me although I wouldnt have them in that order.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 If he thinks we're going to finish 5th perhaps he could convince his odds compilers of that so that those of us who are quietly confident he's totally wrong can get a price on Luton that comes somewhere close to being remotely value to win the league :hope

If he thinks we're going to finish 5th perhaps he could convince his odds compilers of that so that those of us who are quietly confident he's totally wrong can get a price on Luton that comes somewhere close to being remotely value to win the league :hope
Well he would need to convince himself then as he is the odds compiler at Blue Square. The thing is Luton were backed with Blue Square last week so you arent going to get a drift anytime soon. What price do you think you should be then? Im surprised he stuck in 5th but I agree with what he wrote.

Well he would need to convince himself then as he is the odds compiler at Blue Square. The thing is Luton were backed with Blue Square last week so you arent going to get a drift anytime soon. What price do you think you should be then? Im surprised he stuck in 5th but I agree with what he wrote.
Well if he is their odds compiler then he should definitely have a lot more conviction in his predictions even if he has to cut a price quickly due to volume of bets when he has such conviction. Sadly I believe he's only their PR man and not their odds compiler though. It's not what I think we should be. If he thinks we're going to finish 5th then were he their odds compiler he shouldn't have Luton as favourites or he could afford not to if he was fully trusting of his prediction. I know how odds work and why we're only 7/2 so that they are not inundated with Luton in plenty of ew multiples but I just wish we lived in a world where odds compilers occasionally even if it's only for 30 minutes or whatever, stood by their predictions. As I say I'm pretty certain he's only their PR man so I could be doing the odds compilers as disservice as they could well believe we will win the league hence my original statement about Algar convincing them otherwise. For what it's worth if someone offered me 5/1 even on a win only bet on Luton I would happily take it.

Good news' date=' BB! If there is a steady stream of positive news there could be just be that euphoria effect, though I'd guess there could be the odd twist and turn before the start of the season. I suspect the Cambridge game will be a cracker to be at.[/quote'] Very true, ships! The players have been impressed with the fans and I also know one or two of the backroom staff who, to paraphrase them, are looking forward to the club having owners with the club's interests at heart, which says everything about the current shower. In relation to the season, I do not necessarily think that any euphoria will be short term and I am more than happy with the squad. The squad that finished fourth last season has only lost one player, Mangan, and signed two strikers instead. Frank Sinclair at the back has been replaced by Westwood from Wycombe, who is probably too good for the BSP. The rumour mill keeps saying that Maxwell, our young keeper, will move on to pastures new and he is ambitious, but no one has actually made a firm offer for him and he is still with us, albeit on a weekly contract at the moment. If no one does step in then he may choose a further year with us but, in any event, Mayebi did ok when he played last season and has had a decent pre season. Throw in a fit and raring to go Lee Fowler, who looks similar and at least as good as Ferguson when he played for us but has the added advantage of being mobile (!) and the squad is probably better, and more balanced, than last season. I certainly don't see us being in 11th position, as Alan Algar has us, and, if all goes well, then we could better last season. :hope:hope

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 He is their PR man but I have seen him say he also does the odds for the Blue Square Leagues. Now Id imagine he might not be the only person doing the job and obviously he also has his bosses to think about so maybe he would love to offer bigger prices but isnt allowed. Also if you know you will still take money at a shorter price why bother offering a much bigger one than anyone else? For as long as you are in this league you will probably always be favs and you will also always get a fair few people wanting to back you. I agree with you though about odds compilers in general though as Id love some to have an opinion and back it up with the prices they offer. You do see it in the big horse races now although you wonder if part of that is just a PR exercise as well. I worked at a big betting company and it was almost impossible to get the compilers to offer anything because I think they were scared it would cost the company money and that would look badly on them. Its sadly the way bookies work in todays world. I must admit Id be tempted to back you at 5/1 but only because I reckon you could well be top after the first few games and you would be probably be a far bit shorter.

Well if he is their odds compiler then he should definitely have a lot more conviction in his predictions even if he has to cut a price quickly due to volume of bets when he has such conviction. Sadly I believe he's only their PR man and not their odds compiler though. It's not what I think we should be. If he thinks we're going to finish 5th then were he their odds compiler he shouldn't have Luton as favourites or he could afford not to if he was fully trusting of his prediction. I know how odds work and why we're only 7/2 so that they are not inundated with Luton in plenty of ew multiples but I just wish we lived in a world where odds compilers occasionally even if it's only for 30 minutes or whatever, stood by their predictions. As I say I'm pretty certain he's only their PR man so I could be doing the odds compilers as disservice as they could well believe we will win the league hence my original statement about Algar convincing them otherwise. For what it's worth if someone offered me 5/1 even on a win only bet on Luton I would happily take it.

Blue Square's Alan Alger has done his annual prediction for where he thinks everyone is going to finish in the Non-League Paper today. Got to say I dont really disagree with him too much although I would have Gateshead higher than 18thas I think they could be the surprise package this year along with Cambridge. The teams hes got in the top 5 (York' date=' Fleetwood, Darlo, Newport and Luton) looks pretty solid to me although I wouldnt have them in that order.[/quote'] Having given my top 5 earlier in this thread, I'd argue that Mr Alger has got four out of five right, though in the wrong positions. Perhaps we all should be rethinking Alfreton Town after today's friendly...

Very true, ships! The players have been impressed with the fans and I also know one or two of the backroom staff who, to paraphrase them, are looking forward to the club having owners with the club's interests at heart, which says everything about the current shower. In relation to the season, I do not necessarily think that any euphoria will be short term and I am more than happy with the squad. The squad that finished fourth last season has only lost one player, Mangan, and signed two strikers instead. Frank Sinclair at the back has been replaced by Westwood from Wycombe, who is probably too good for the BSP. The rumour mill keeps saying that Maxwell, our young keeper, will move on to pastures new and he is ambitious, but no one has actually made a firm offer for him and he is still with us, albeit on a weekly contract at the moment. If no one does step in then he may choose a further year with us but, in any event, Mayebi did ok when he played last season and has had a decent pre season. Throw in a fit and raring to go Lee Fowler, who looks similar and at least as good as Ferguson when he played for us but has the added advantage of being mobile (!) and the squad is probably better, and more balanced, than last season. I certainly don't see us being in 11th position, as Alan Algar has us, and, if all goes well, then we could better last season. :hope:hope
Yes, owners with the interest of the man on the terrace are to be embraced. I'd be chuffed if you get this sorted. The squad looks very decent, certainly, but I'm not convinced the off-the-field issues will go away completely. Dean Saunders deserves much credit for sticking around when others might have jumped shipped.

Having given my top 5 earlier in this thread' date=' I'd argue that Mr Alger has got four out of five right, though in the wrong positions. Perhaps we all should be rethinking Alfreton Town after today's friendly...[/quote'] From what Ive read the team Wednesday put out are rather bad but even so that was some scoreline.

Yes' date=' owners with the interest of the man on the terrace are to be embraced. I'd be chuffed if you get this sorted. The squad looks very decent, certainly, but I'm not convinced the off-the-field issues will go away completely.[b'] Dean Saunders deserves much credit for sticking around when others might have jumped shipped.
Yes...although, if he is on what he is rumoured to be on, he won't go anywhere yet!

Yes...although' date=' if he is on what he is rumoured to be on, he won't go anywhere yet![/quote'] So that's how he could afford to pay for the dog and the birthday party then eh ;).

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 That Sheffield Wednesday side was the youth team. Still an impressive scoreline but I wouldn't get too carried away. We played Alferton in the trophy last season. They looked a very organised side who played some decent football. I know they lost a few players but they will certainly do well. I think they might do what most successful promoted teams seem to do and tail off in the final third. Bit like Newport last season. Going back to Wrexham. I'm glad the future is looking brighter. On the striker note, Danny Wright will run his balls into the ground but his finishing really lets him down. If he cant get that side of his game sorted then you'll have a cracking player on your hands. If he doesn't then expect a 1 in 3 striker who despite his size isn't much of a target man. Deceiving turn of pace though. Good point about Darlo addpea, I agree about drawing the away games.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Latest news is that fans have been donating money to ensure players are paid and this, hopefully, will ensure the agents don't make too much headway with chipping in their client's ears. To show you what a shit the current owner is, though, he has said that if it was only a loan and had to come out of any take he was going to get for the club and ground then he would refuse it!! He has had to move his family out of their home and has also employed a security firm to patrol his property because a group of concerned fans had threatened to march :ok. Strange how he can afford that expense andthe payment to all the builders he has got doing the development on the ground the club used to own but his company does now, together with materials, but he cannot afford to pay his sporting employees! The guy is a first rate ****. The other bit of good news is that the one 'hold out' who I mentioned above, Chris Maxwell, was interviewed in the local paper and has said he will sign a new deal as soon as the takeover is complete. First things first, though, we have to get permission from the BSP to start the season at their meeting on August 4th. :hope:hope:hope

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Spreadex are now telling me that they won't have any points spreads up until next week. The RP has plumped for Grimsby Town and Lincoln City as EW plays on the outrights, with Alfreton Town EW and AFC Telford EW on the handicaps and Grimsby again for top 5 finish. Liam Hearn and Jamie Reed are their EW top goalscorer picks. They're all brave selections, I think, though I have a lot of time for what Rob Scott and Paul Hurst are trying to achieve at Grimsby. They are ones to watch, but I think it will take them a while to get in their stride.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Funniest thing I read today was someone in the twitter section in the pullout saying that Jason Walker was the best striker in the BSP. Was surprised at how much they rubbished Newport's chances and I thought what they wrote was a bit harsh. Also considering they used a reason for opposing Fleetwood was how many points they finished behind Crawley and for them then to tip up a team who finished even further behind is a bit odd. Also Crawley arent there anymore so it should be more about how many points teams have to make on Luton.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Ships has already alluded in his superb write up on the league that I am very keen on Newport but this is my in depth view on the league. Newport would have been in the play-offs if Dean Holdsworth had not left to become Aldershot manager, after which they couldn’t buy a win. Anthony Hudson came in for the final few games and did a great job during that time. They have lost a couple of decent players since then, including Paul Bignot who has gone to Blackpool, but Hudson has recruited well and I think the squad has the potential to be stronger than last year. The best of the signings for me are Craig McAllister, who was a major part of Crawley’s team, and goalkeeper Danny Potter. There also has to be the very strong possibility that Harry Redknapp will help his former colleague during the season as well which looks another positive. A decent pre-season has done no harm either and I can not believe that they are still available at 16/1 (bet365). They look massive value at those odds. As always, Luton are favourites and as always they are rotten value to win the league. Getting Gary Brabin in as manager was a positive move but he has really struggled in the transfer market over the summer and in my view Luton look weaker going into this campaign. They seem to be lacking up front and given they only finished 3rd last year, I just can’t see them winning the league this time around, although they should be in the top five. Fleetwood have been the big gambles of the summer, which isn’t a surprise considering the signings they have made. They certainly have one of the strongest sides in the division but they don’t seem capable of walking away with the league like Crawley did and their odds seem skinny now. Stockport have also been well backed since Dietmar Hamann came in as a manager, however I don’t fancy them at all. It’s been proven that you need experience of this level to do well in the BSP and I would be amazed if Hamann has ever watched a BSP match before. At the time of writing they have a squad lacking in numbers which has to be a bit of a concern. FA Trophy winners Darlington should go well again but given the way Mark Cooper sets his team up away from home they will draw too many to finish on top. Wrexham can’t be touched given their problems and they look weaker than last season as well, while I don’t like the management duo at Grimsby, although at 16/1 they are probably a little over priced with the squad at their disposal. Mansfield promised to spend big this summer, but they haven’t and are too short in the market. My biggest dangers to Newport come in the form of York. First of all I am not a fan of their main summer recruit Jason Walker who was a bit of a flop at Luton and looks a waste of money, however Gary Mills’ other signings have been decent and they have a solid squad. Their home form has always been superb and if they can improve a little on their away results they should be up their challenging. William Hill are 12/1 and that looks worth taking. Finally a couple of sides who I think will do better than their odds suggest - Cambridge United and Gateshead. Cambridge have a young side but one that looks capable of being on the edge of the play-offs. Gateshead went to pieces after their great FA Trophy run but the team has been strengthened and there is no way they should be as big as 125/1. Bet365 have them at +28 on the handicap and that, along with Newport at +14, looks like the play

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Well, the latest on us is that the Conference held their meeting yesterday, all seemed fine, before we were thrown a curveball by them, probably on advice of their lawyers. in essence we have until 5pm Monday to provide the conference with certain guarantees, namely 1. Deposit a bond or bank guarantee of £250,000 into the competitions accounts. 2. Proof of payment to all outstanding football creditors, including staff and players wages. 3. Lodge a signed lease, acceptable to the Football Conference, as to where the club intends to play its home fixtures for season 2011/12. 4. Submit a detailed business plan and revised budget for the coming season. It has been announced in a further statement on our site that we have fulfilled 3 of the 4 and the 4th will be done by the deadline. Out of the four I would think it is a copy of a lease. Still, nothing boring in N Wales at the moment. What I can say is that we are playing our friendly tomorrow at Northwich Vics so at least there is no semblance of player revolt. As one of the conditions is that the wages have been paid it seems likely that we are unlikely to lose any players by a breach of contract. So, on to the season which will hopefully see us own the club we support even if not the ground, owned by glyndwr university. On that front they are already talking about building two new stands, including one on the forelorn looking Kop. Well, I will believe that when I see it but they have been for an inspection of the stands at Leeds Carnegie so perhaps there is something in it. If so then we may have something to look forward to in the future. However, having to shell over £250k for the season as a bond will restrict what we do this season as it is a loss of money that would not have been budgeted for. On field I hold completely the opposite view from addpea as I do not believe we are weaker than last season. Obviously losing Mangan was a blow but I do not believe he is irreplaceable and we have signed two players to replace him, including one who is a natural wide left in a front three player. Saunders will continue to play 4-3-3. In midfield, however, our best bit of business is having a fit Lee Fowler in the squad. Seemingly over his demons this guy is a class, as Kevshat may recall from his appearance at Luton at the end of last season. Defensively I think we are stronger than last season where, leaving aside the debacle of the Gateshead home defeat, we were particularly miserly despite the presence of Frank Sinclair. We have now signed Chris Westwood from Wycombe who turned down a new contract wil Wycombe to join us. Frankly he is probably too good for this division but we are grateful to have him. Once the WST get the club it is expected that the young keeper Maxwell will sign a new deal. So, what do I hope for and what do I expect? Well, the squad on paper should be good enough for at least the same position as last year; the only question is will that squad suffer as we try to correct the losses of the club off the field. I hope not. after the troubles of recent years I will settle for mid table mediocrity but, looking at the squad on paper, we are much better than that. Almost all of that squad had us clear second in a table based on the second half of last season. If a fans owned club has a real feelgood factor (and the players were bouncing over the fact we fans raised £15k for late wages in 48 hours or so) then we could be a really potent force, with the management team now fully understanding the league and what is required. Because of the off field matters I cannot recommend a bet although the 20's available with Billy Hills is mighty tempting. Good luck to all fans for their teams this season (apart from Kevshat, of course!!)

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Still awaiting news from conference, no way we will have satisfied all four demands. Feel sick waiting at the moment. I am sure BB and Jaded will be drinking something strong at the moment the same as me. :cry

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Unconfirmed rumours that we've been told we'll be okay if we can raise £100k by TOMORROW, and this will be given back in 18 days when the Trust take over. Trying to get confirmation of wtf is going on before I remortgage the flat...

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Wrexham fans are now being told that we need to get down to the ground with £100,000 cash before noon to safeguard the club. (It's okay, we'll get it back in 18 days, HONEST!) I would love to say this is unbelievable, it's sadly all too believable of the people in charge.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Good luck with it all and hopefully we'll see you Saturday. Not putting the dagger in by any means but we still haven't received any of the transfer fee we were due for Danny Wright. It was due a couple of weeks ago apparently. Knowing our luck he'll score the winner on Saturday.

Good luck with it all and hopefully we'll see you Saturday. Not putting the dagger in by any means but we still haven't received any of the transfer fee we were due for Danny Wright. It was due a couple of weeks ago apparently. Knowing our luck he'll score the winner on Saturday.
You ain't charging them for taking the useless lump are you :loon. Blimey things are worse than I thought :lol.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 The claim is we've now paid Cambridge - christ knows whether I believe that. The big news is, after the appeal at 9 o'clock or so last night, fans have rallied together to lend the club £100,000. Stunning stuff. Fingers crossed this means we're IN, waiting for official confirmation before I get too excited though! Edit: And we did it WITHOUT me needing to remortgage the flat!!

The claim is we've now paid Cambridge - christ knows whether I believe that. The big news is, after the appeal at 9 o'clock or so last night, fans have rallied together to lend the club £100,000. Stunning stuff. Fingers crossed this means we're IN, waiting for official confirmation before I get too excited though! Edit: And we did it WITHOUT me needing to remortgage the flat!!
True, but I stole your identity and I remortgaged your flat instead :D

True' date=' but I stole your identity and I remortgaged your flat instead :D[/quote'] Git! Anyone know where I can get legal advice around here?! Anyway, the big news is, WE ARE IN! According to a very reliable source we have verbal confirmation from the Conference we're good to go. :cow:cow:cow:cow:cow:cow:cow:cow:cow:cow From a gambling point of view, the amount of passion and the feel-good spirit around the club at the moment is INSANE. I'm not saying we're certs, but 20-1 is starting to look tempting...

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 With their usual mixture of grace and charm, Wrexham bosses have just announced they had the money all along but didn't want to use it as they needed it for running costs later in the month. (They have £1.8 million coming in from nicking our ground and flogging it to the uni last week which they seem to have forgotten about.) Incredible, even by their standards.