Announcements
** December Poker League Result : 1st muttley, 2nd LIKE2FISH, 3rd kevsul **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st Like A Roughie, 2nd Paperclip, 3rd Kingdom for, 4th Alastair, 5th Gray306 **
** December Naps Competition Result: 1st BARNSLEYCHOP, 2nd SADDLESORE, 3rd ZIDANE123, 4th ADAMROSS. KO Cup Winner BBBC, Most Winners: JCW **

England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Bishop's Stortford are threatening to resign over the extra travelling, though I suspect that's nothing more than a useful lever to get some compensation, as the travelling will be punishing. There are also rumours that another Prem club is at risk of either demotion or a points deduction. It's going to be a busy week...

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12

Bishop's Stortford are threatening to resign over the extra travelling' date=' though I suspect that's nothing more than a useful lever to get some compensation, as the travelling will be punishing. There are also rumours that another Prem club is at risk of either demotion or a points deduction. It's going to be a busy week...[/quote'] Rumour is it is Stockport in trouble
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Having a small E/W wager on York. Gary Mills has made some good signings in the pre-season and there's a real buzz about Bootham Crescent ahead of the forthcoming season. Looking forward to seeing how the Reed/Walker strike partnership takes ship. There could be plenty of goals in those two.

Having a small E/W wager on York. Gary Mills has made some good signings in the pre-season and there's a real buzz about Bootham Crescent ahead of the forthcoming season. Looking forward to seeing how the Reed/Walker strike partnership takes ship. There could be plenty of goals in those two.
The York City squad is starting to look interesting, and 12s isn't a bad EW play, given that this looks like a highly competitive section at the top end. Patrick McLaughlin looks a very interesting signing if he can live with the rigours of Conference football The big mover over the past month has been Fleetwood Town, who have been adding as well, but perhaps not as well as the price drop justifies. As things stand, there are half-a-dozen sides who look very closely matched.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Some slight nibbles at the Stockport County price since the takeover and the appointment of Didi Hamman as manager - Corals have trimmed their 33s to 25s. Although they are intent on spending money - offering a sizeable sum for Ryan Lowe - they've much work to do to assemble a competitive squad. It'll also take a while for the management to get up to speed on what's required down here. Having said that, a fortnight of astute signings would make them credible top five candidates and a potential EW proposition, though as things stand there are enough sides ahead of them, and likely to remain ahead of them, for me to keep my powder dry for now.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 I have backed York each way as well. Having been much improved since Mills took over last year he has added some very good players to the squad. Scoring goals was a problem for them last year so the additions of Jason Walker, Matty Blair, Michael Potts and Liam Henderson should improve this area of the team. They have also managed to add highly rated right back Lanre Oyebanjo from Histon to an already impressive defence. Its important they have a good start and I think the opening fixtures have been very kind to them with the first four games looking very winable.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 I wasn't going to have any outright bets in this league as there's no Crawley like value around which I would need to put up money against Luton but then Blue Square brought their top goalscorer prices out, one of which is ridiculous really. They have Robbie Willmott priced up at 150/1 which seems huge to me given that only 10 men scored more than he last season and he had to get used to a new club and stuff halfway through that season. He scored 6 in 12 league games for us last season but wasn't on penalties which I think he could be this season with Walker and Claude having left. Claude was always a focal point of our attacks but I think under Brabin, Willmott will be used an awful lot more in our attacks in the left hand side of the three up front. In away games when we are defending leads he may even get the central birth as his pace is frightening. He's the kind of person we'll use to destroy the weaker sides down here and I can easily see him bagging 18-20 goals this season, especially if he's on penalties. At 150/1 I think he's well worth taking the chance with especially when they have Bridge-Wilkinson who's little more than a glorified attacking midfielder, at 18/1.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 That's a great early spot about Robbie Willmott, Kev:ok. Was very impressed when I saw him first hand when he scored a great goal. There's another player I'll probably be backing (at the right price, of course), but he's not listed yet. Whilst the support for Stockport is understandable, I can't help thinking Didi Hamann will have something of a Conference culture shock, and they might have a first season well below current expectations. Steve Burr has made some very decent recruits at Kidderminster to make up for the disappointment of no Chris McPhee and the transfer of Matty Blair to York. Unlike most close seasons we will not this time be scrabbling around still looking at trialists at the start of August. With a better start to the season Harriers can be right in the mix again.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Good shout on Willmott, Kevshat. What's your take on the summer situation at Luton? There is an inevitable hangover after the AFC Wimbledon game, but - man for man - there's not much wrong with the squad that a couple of extra signings wouldn't fix. Agree about Stockport, Labrador. I'm wondering how active Hamann has been in the current round of offers. There should be some flesh on the bones of the takeover next week when it is finally rubber-stamped, but it currently seems like a bit of a funfair ride is in the offing. I also think Kidderminster could do quite well. Steve Burr is proving to be an astute operator at this level.

Good shout on Willmott' date=' Kevshat. What's your take on the summer situation at Luton? There is an inevitable hangover after the AFC Wimbledon game, but - man for man - there's not much wrong with the squad that a couple of extra signings wouldn't fix.[/quote'] I pretty much see it as you do Ships. Some people want to pick faults with our squad but I'm happy enough with it. Like you say a couple of signings just to garnish it with an extra touch of quality would be lovely. If the season began tomorrow and we had to go in with what we have now I wouldn't be too disappointed. The potential hangover would be a bigger concern but we couldn't have asked for a much nicer start to the season so hopefully we can hit the ground running and put the memories of Manchester to bed quite quickly. One thing I really do feel strongly about is we will naturally be 10-12pts better off this season employing the positive tactics which Brabin uses as opposed to the negative tactics we used under Money. His knowledge of the league is worth something too so I'm relatively optimistic.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Corals have their BlueSQ Prem handicaps out. Of the two sides under discussion this morning, Luton are scratch and Kidderminster +18 (all sides quoted at 18s). Beyond the top eight prices - in which there is much poor value - there are some interesting plays in Newport and Grimsby, both at +12.

Corals have their BlueSQ Prem handicaps out. Of the two sides under discussion this morning' date=' Luton are scratch and Kidderminster +18 (all sides quoted at 18s). Beyond the top eight prices - in which there is much poor value - there are some interesting plays in Newport and Grimsby, both at +12.[/quote'] I certainly have to support Kidderminster with what looks like a generous handicap to me. They are a best priced 28/1 off scratch, with Hills only 16/1:eyes.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 I haven't posted much comment about the outrights thus far. We should be in for a good season in the Prem, with a clutch of clubs who'll all be fancying their chances - "a mini league at the top", is what Paul Cox, Mansfield's manager, calls it, and it's hard to disagree. That also means there is a maxi-league at the bottom: almost half the section could be vulnerable to relegation. I've backed Luton Town as the winners over the past two seasons - reluctantly, as the prices were far too thin (fortunately I had good coverage of Stevenage and Crawley, too. I seem to do very nicely out of my 'who'll be second?' plays - which doesn't say much for my picking!). After a subdued summer in the transfer market, and some talent drifting away, Luton should be unloved in the market, though they still seem to be attracting money (I suspect, like me, as the last leg in speculative accas, which is really the only place they should be at the prices available.) Alan Alger was saying in the NLP recently how he was happy to ease them at BlueSQ on the basis that the squad isn't as strong as at August last season. That's true, but it's also true that the signings that have been made add something, and the key point is that they are going into battle with Gary Brabin - the best manager they've had at this level. All considered, I think they are the best squad in the section, but the chasing pack is close and they should be further out. Fleetwood Town have been adding to the squad, which has brought the price in, but I am not convinced they can go all the way. Richard Brodie, Peter Till and Andy Mangan are good people to have on board, but this isn't the new Crawley Town - Evans signed hungry players who would be comfortable at a higher level. I'm not sure you can say that about Fleetwood, though they remain very credible play-off candidates. Micky Mellon had a relatively relaxed - and, to be fair, absolutely superb - last term, but this season as one of the big guns they will face sides who will attempt to close them down much more comprehensively. How he deals with this new pressure will be key. I like the midfield and attack for their potential potency, but I'm concerned about the spine. There are two great EW plays for me. Addpea has been recommending Newport County since April, and it looks a very good shout. They are as big as 16s in places - a fine price for a team with top three potential, and also the potential to win it. The move to full time has been reasonably seamless and the signings have been good (although, as with Luton, the squad is still a couple of weeks from being finalised). The momentum from Anthony Hudson's arrival last season is a useful factor. Ebor has underlined the challenge York City above, and they indeed look to be very strong - a best of 12s also has its attractions. Gary Mills is a great manager to have running the show and he is putting together a squad that has a bit of everything, except perhaps the real devilishness you need up front to win games with the one chance you get. They will, however, be very tricky to beat and a tactical nightmare to play against. Darlington are third in the betting, behind Luton and Fleetwood, and they do look better equipped than last season. I think James Walshaw is a good signing and Adam Rundle and Graeme Lee bring some class that was lacking last year. They'll be very hard to beat but I wonder if they have enough pace and creativity to really do the business - I see more 0-0s than is helpful. The relegated sides have had to spend the summer reshaping from the bottom up: Lincoln City are making a decent fist of it, though I don't see them troubling the top five. Next season, maybe. Stockport County's price has come in after the (almost completed) takeover, but there's a bit of grandstanding about the 'big names' they've been chasing. They still look weeks away from having a competitive squad. Both are leave-alones for me. Grimsby Town and Mansfield Town have proven non-league management teams in place, but the level of work they have to do on the squads is major. Grimsby's Rob Scott and Paul Hurst are turnaround kings, and boast one of the best and most consistent recent records in non-league football. But given the surgery they are having to do, and the size of the challenge, the squad that may need a year to bed in at this level. Paul Cox at Mansfield has an only slightly less impressive CV but has an equally big job on his hands. I'd expect both sides to go well this season, but to be proper challengers in 12/13. Wrexham, for me, will be competitive but short of the play-offs. The core of the squad is decent, but the club as a whole needs a bit more sense of direction. Other than these I suspect that Kidderminster Harriers (highlighted by Labrador above), Cambridge United and Gateshead will go better than the prices suggest, and given a fair wind, and the fact that the rest of the 'mini league' above them will be taking points off each other from August to April, any of them might make the play-offs. Good teams to follow in selected matches, too. A top five for me of Luton Town, Newport County, York City, Fleetwood Town and... tricky to name the last play-off side, but for variety I'll go for Cambridge United (though I'm not going anywhere near BlueSQ's 3/1 about them to finish top 5).

Haven't Cambridge sold a bunch of players due to financial problems?
Indeed - the budget has been trimmed by almost a quarter. But another way of looking at it is that Martin Ling's dead wood has been cleared out, although the bad news is still in the price. Jez George has been energetic in making do, and as well as discovering a new team spirit he's also picked up Keiran Murtagh, from Wycombe (the midfielder who breathed life into Woking last season and had a few clubs chasing him), Ryan Charles from the embers of Rushden, the useful Michael Wylde in defence, Steve Connors with a bit to prove, Michael Gash, Ashley Carew (after a good season at Ebbsfleet), and Harrison Dunk, who I'm pretty sure will be at home up here. My feeling is that they'll surprise this season.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Whilst I disagree with Ships and think our squad is really no weaker than last season and has been strengthened, my worry about Wrexham is all the off field shite we are going through again. There is a real worry that it is a house of cards waiting to fall and, presently, I wouldn't risk a punt on us.

Im sure Barton might know more but this has to be a big worry. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14329582.stm
Even worse than that http://www.footballconference.co.uk/news/details.php?news_id=5115 The players, with the manager's full support, went home today as they were unwilling to risk injury in training if, as seems very possible, the club could be liquidated. It has been even more on the cards since they suddenly withdrew the SL licence application for the Crusaders without telling the players. Our asset stripping owners, despite the urgency of the situation, have, or are in the near future, fecking off abroad on holiday. The Uni next door seem to be taking an age to fulfill their part of this drawn out takover (taking on the ground and training pitch) and, frankly, I don't see any way out. Unlike other clubs, I also do not see any formation of a phoenix club. It takes some bad luck to be shafted by shitty owners twice!

Even worse than that http://www.footballconference.co.uk/news/details.php?news_id=5115 The players, with the manager's full support, went home today as they were unwilling to risk injury in training if, as seems very possible, the club could be liquidated. It has been even more on the cards since they suddenly withdrew the SL licence application for the Crusaders without telling the players. Our asset stripping owners, despite the urgency of the situation, have, or are in the near future, fecking off abroad on holiday. The Uni next door seem to be taking an age to fulfill their part of this drawn out takover (taking on the ground and training pitch) and, frankly, I don't see any way out. Unlike other clubs, I also do not see any formation of a phoenix club. It takes some bad luck to be shafted by shitty owners twice!
Terrible turn of events, Barton. There's different ways to read the Conference statement - it could just be a standard statement from the PR department, or an attempt to smoke out potential bidders, or it could mean they are sharpening their knives. It must be a worrying time for a Wrexham fan - it's too close to the start of the season for the authorities to give you the extremely generous amount of time that R&Ds got to sort things out, but that might be an advantage. I'm sure they'll want you starting the season with whatever XI you can put out.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 That might not be as dramatic as it sounds though because all BSP clubs have to go to a meeting on Aug 4 I think it is at Telford to prove they have the funding to see the season out. As long as your takeover hasn't been called off in the meantime they'll believe any old guff you can feed them. Look at Chester two seasons ago. If they can pull the wool over their eyes you'll have no problems. Speaking of Chester, I wonder how Stockport are going to disguise their Stephen Vaughan influence at this meeting ;). I'd say that statement is just there to show people they aren't tucked away with their heads in the sand. Good luck in getting it all sorted anyway mate. We know only too well how hard it is getting rid of rogue owners :ok. Besides you've got to see out the season so that I can win our bet :p ;).

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Really hope Wrexham can get sorted out and feel for their fans and players. On a more mercenary note there must be some prospect that, assuming the club is able to fulfil their opening league fixture, the players are not mentally prepared. The cancellation of friendlies is likely to leave the team short of match fitness and, conceivably, a few of Saunders' first choice players are not "available". On 13th August they are scheduled to play Cambridge United who, as Ships has highlighted, seem to have put together a useful squad that could surprise a few people. At 14/5 in a couple of places it may be worth taking Cambridge early. This would be a sporting play even without Wrexham's current travails, but it could be very much shorter come match day.

Really hope Wrexham can get sorted out and feel for their fans and players. On a more mercenary note there must be some prospect that, assuming the club is able to fulfil their opening league fixture, the players are not mentally prepared. The cancellation of friendlies is likely to leave the team short of match fitness and, conceivably, a few of Saunders' first choice players are not "available". On 13th August they are scheduled to play Cambridge United who, as Ships has highlighted, seem to have put together a useful squad that could surprise a few people. At 14/5 in a couple of places it may be worth taking Cambridge early. This would be a sporting play even without Wrexham's current travails, but it could be very much shorter come match day.
Good idea that 13/5 with VC is currently the best available. Ive seen the statement from Wrexham today and there is no money left so it really does beg the question that if something isnt done quick that if Wrexham do make it to the first day of the season the team is not going to be that strong.

Good idea that 13/5 with VC is currently the best available. Ive seen the statement from Wrexham today and there is no money left so it really does beg the question that if something isnt done quick that if Wrexham do make it to the first day of the season the team is not going to be that strong.
Betinternet are going 14/5. There could be a short-term euphoric boost to Wrexham if they get things sorted with a few days to go, but even so Labrador's shout is a good one. My own price for a 'normal' game has Cambridge United at 2/1.

Im sorry Ships but Ive never even heard of Betinternet let alone have an account with them lol.
They're on Odds-comparison and have been around for a while. They're part of Webis Holdings, which is quoted on AIM, though their shares are trading at historic lows, rather worryingly.

Re: England > Non-league antepost > BlueSQ Bet Prem 2011-12 Hello chaps. We have certainly had a good pre-season so far and Jez seems to have unearthed some real gems for the future. His ethos is to develop youngsters so we will be going into the season with a very young inexperienced squad. It could go either way but I suspect we will probably get bullied by a few of the shrewder BSP sides We are trying not to get too carried away after the previous couple of years but all the signs at Cambridge are pointing in the right direction. I'm not sure if we will have the experience to make a top 5 finish but I'd expect us to be sniffing round the play offs. I think we are a decent keeper and centre back away from being top 5 at the moment but that could change. I'm still not convinced enough to lump on us to beat Wrexham away. If the game was at home then maybe but we only won a few games under George last season (although the improvement when he took over from Ling was ten fold). Our recent record at the Racecourse isn't great which is the main reason that makes me want to go with my head rather then my heart. On the positive side Jez has shipped out the journeymen that were eating up most of the budget and I'm really looking forward to seeing how our hungry whippersnappers cut their teeth. I thought Darlington looked excellent towards the end of last season. Cooper knows this league inside out and has made some decent signings. I've got a feeling they will be right up there for most of the season. As for Robbie Willmott being top goal scorer..... I'm not convinced. 150/1 is worth a small punt but he is too inconsistent for my liking. Having watched him for years I don't think I've ever seen him score a 1 - 1. He's not a natural finisher around the box and tends to drift in and out of games when he feels like it. He'll weigh in with free kicks and the odd penalty but Brabin will more then likely play him in his favoured position out wide. PS Good luck to the sheep shaggers. I hope the game goes ahead as planned. We went through similar when our ground was robbed from beneath us. We will also never forget the Wrexham fans that turned up for our fans united day and sang their hearts out as we battled to save our club. I've always admired them for that and hope they survive.