** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Welsh national

OK someone whom I know, who knows someone bla de la, seems awfully confident of the chances of strong resolve. They reckon it should be in the top 3, if not win, if the ground is soft. Could be utter bollox, but they backed it with their own cash as I saw.......hence I'll try a little on each way myself innit.

Re: Welsh national I like the look of Silver Birch in this as well. Good jumper, goes on the ground & should stay the trip ok, Ruby Walsh on top is a big plus. Lord Jack is a fair price off a light weight & I've had a bit on this as well with a small reversed forcast on the pair. Good luck in your attempt to land the grand slam. Rio.

Re: Welsh national Bearing in mind recent stats and especially the current awful state of the going, i cant see anything carrying 11 stone+ winning which would rule out Chives, Bindaree, Jurancon II Shotgun Willy and Take the Stand. The last 10 winners have carried: 10-09, 10-04, 10-00, 10-04, 10-00, 10-00, 10-13, 10-00, 10-09, 11-12. Only one horse since 1976, has won the Welsh National when aged in double figures. Every other winner in that time period has been aged seven, eight or nine. This leaves us with a shortlist of Akarus, Silver Birch, Strong Resolve, and Lord Jack. Mud lover and favourite Akarus has some appeal but im put off my firstly by his long absece from the track and secondly his recent form figures of FPF. Can go close though after looking like winning the race before falling last year. Im not convinced by Strong Resolves stamina qualities on this ground though. This will be a real slog today and he has not run further than 3m 1f. Its worth noting that the trainer thinks stamina is no problem though and the horse has been aimed at this race. We'll see. Silver Birch impresed LTO, winning the Becher Chase over 3m3f on soft ground, finishing the race strongly and beating off challenges from 4 or 5 rivals close to home. That performance suggests that his stamina isnt in doubt and should come into play here today. He is 2 wins from 3 appearances at Chepstow also. At a bigger price, Lord Jack can run a big race also. He's another mud lover who ran a decent race over 4m1f at Newcastle to suggest that todays trip won't be a problem. He has a light enough weight to make him a threat today. SILVER BIRCH @ 5/1 (widely available) LORD JACK @ 14/1 (widely available) Lets do the reverse forecast for a laugh as well ;)

Re: Welsh national An exellent post AK with the first & second in your shortlist of four. I like to use the trends in these type of races & we both arrived at pretty much the same conclusions. I'm a big fan of Ruby Walsh, very rare he's in the wrong place in a race & he's as good as anybody IMO at the moment. Whats in the Grand slam Kev? Rio.