** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Great value at Kempton tonight

Re: Great value at Kempton tonight They've been mentionning all night on RUK that betfair is down........they initially reported it as 'planned maintenance' which would have been strange to plan maintenance while racing was on Someone from betfair contacted the studio to say it was a fault, not planned..... I bet there's a few people tearing their hair out .............:unsure I've never used it myself, it looks complicated............:D

Re: Great value at Kempton tonight Reason why there is a massive over-round at Kempton is simply not many bookmakers turn up there and few punters there either. When bookmakers have not got much competition they will push the prices out. Not all their fault though. Bookies have to pay for their pitch at the races. Therefore, when there aren't many punters turning up (little money around): To make the day pay, bookmakers need to get more money per punter out of those few that turn up, than they would if the crowd were larger. If punters don't want bookmakers to work to these over-rounds there is one way to stop it. DON'T BET!

Re: Great value at Kempton tonight What your saying is spot on Ginge... But if you look at the 5.30 in particular (which was just after betfair went tits up) the over-round is exceptionally massive, I would imagine this is due to on-course bookmakers not being able to lay off onto betfair as per usual. And yes Trotter lots of people on the BF forum 'pulling their hair out' to put it mildly

Re: Great value at Kempton tonight

Reason why there is a massive over-round at Kempton is simply not many bookmakers turn up there and few punters there either. When bookmakers have not got much competition they will push the prices out. Not all their fault though. Bookies have to pay for their pitch at the races. Therefore, when there aren't many punters turning up (little money around): To make the day pay, bookmakers need to get more money per punter out of those few that turn up, than they would if the crowd were larger. If punters don't want bookmakers to work to these over-rounds there is one way to stop it. DON'T BET!
Dont think many people go to Kempton on a wednesday night paying I think £25 to get in its a bit like Wolverhampton in the afternoon
What your saying is spot on Ginge... But if you look at the 5.30 in particular (which was just after betfair went tits up) the over-round is exceptionally massive, I would imagine this is due to on-course bookmakers not being able to lay off onto betfair as per usual. And yes Trotter lots of people on the BF forum 'pulling their hair out' to put it mildly
In the old days the bookmakers controlled the market but since the arrival of BF then the balance of power has swung, but the big hitters are going hungry tonight

Re: Great value at Kempton tonight There is also the issue of on course bookmakers being unable to trade with betfair. On course bookmakers take bets from punters at one price and back them back on betfair at a slightly bigger price. There's no Freddie Williams these days, nobody willing to take an opinion. They're just traders. SP's have shortened in the last 10 years with bigger over-rounds. In the old days bookies opened with a larger over-round, and then lengthened odds until each horse was backed. Nowadays they just take their odds from betfair from the start of trading. Nobody goes racing these days to make money gambling. If I did not enjoy the whole experience.... Already given up Fontwell and Wincanton. Much better taking "early odds" with off course bookies or exchanges before going racing. Only on course bets I have nowadays are either saver bets on what I've seen in the paddock; or (where on course punters still have a slight edge), maidens.