2011 Boxing Thread

DafsT

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Well, for me it's a banker. I'm not arrogant, really. Haye is a media's product and he is not a real heavyweight champion material. He is without big experience in this category - he has not a knock-out punch and he is not so strong and so big like Klitschko. In his recent fights he was nothing special. Against Valuev he was average, won on points and this was controversial and harsh decision for Russian Giant. Fight against Harrison... come on, joke! He also beat heavyweight guys like Monte Barrett and Tomasz Bonin, but they are nowhere near Klitschko's level. "Hayemaker" was great in cruiser category. In heavyweight category Haye could be good enough for guys like Tomasz Adamek (also not real heavyweight guy), Sultan Ibragimov (who's career went to an end after fight against Wladimir...) or Samuel Peter. Since I said that this is a banker for me I can't complain about short odds... Klitschko to win stake: 10/10 Good luck for everyone.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Klitschko v Haye - I agree with most punters here that the power of Klitschko will be a step too far for Haye. My local bookie is offering 8/11 on a Klitscho win which is better than anything online; so I was going to lump on with them tomorrow, but then I saw skybets prices which offer even better value. It's under Group betting © 5pts Klitscho to win in rounds 1-6 @ 5/1 6pts Klitscho to win in rounds 7-12 @ 4/1 and I've even added a cover with betfair in their method of victory market: 3pts Klitscho by Decison/tech decison @ 5/1 This looks like a good way of playing the markets to me, if you fancy Klitscho to get the job done more likely than not by KO.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread

The grouped round betting market is up on Sportingbet for Bute vs Mendy. Rounds 1-6 is priced at 6/5 - get on it quick, it ought to be 1/4. It's yet another dreadful error by the traders at SB. Mendy was close to being blasted out inside a round by Sakio Bika, who was dominated by Bute four years ago. Bute has stopped his last five, generally late but this dude is terrible, and hasn't fought for a year. Despite being unbeaten he's not fought anyone of note, Bika aside. Footage of that fight is on YT.
Pretty much agree with your assessment here. Though I do share Tofus concerns about Bute being a wear down fighter. Despite this I really think Menddy lacks the mentality. At 6/5 I wouldve played but now 4/5 so although tempted I will pass. The real gem missed here was the 4/7 stoppage which I think was alluded to previously. Like I say I agree but missed the boat:( GL though:ok

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Im signing in to the Klitschko backers club. Really can not see how the hype machine that is Haye can win. Anybody have any opinions on how the Klitschco price will behave 2moro? Will the patriotic Haye money force the Klitschco price up or is that just wishful thinking?

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread

Pretty much agree with your assessment here. Though I do share Tofus concerns about Bute being a wear down fighter. Despite this I really think Menddy lacks the mentality. At 6/5 I wouldve played but now 4/5 so although tempted I will pass. The real gem missed here was the 4/7 stoppage which I think was alluded to previously. Like I say I agree but missed the boat:( GL though:ok
That's true.... though I think Bute might be stung by the criticism he's getting for taking this fight and won't want to be extended too much. The last thing he wants is to go eight or ten rounds with this joker, I'd make Groves or DeGale a fairly long odds on favourite to beat him. 4/7 was a gimme for a stoppage. Long may it continue from Sportingbet :lol
Also at skybet Haye is 6/5 to get knocked down which looks tasty with the power that Klitscho possesses' date=' compared to betfair where you can lay a haye knock down at odds on.[/quote'] Nice little arb there :ok I agree with you. Haye is a brilliant salesman but people are seriously selling Klitschko short. He doesn't lose much when compared to Lennox Lewis in my opinion. There's no signs of the prices changing online at all, there's probably been money riding on this for a long time, so the likelyhood of big money coming on is reduced. Plus, I don't think Haye has done himself many favours with his conduct lately, everyone wanted Hatton to batter Mayweather but I'm not convinced the same is true here. Klitschko is pretty hard to dislike, and Haye is coming across as a bit of a knob. I don't see how this generates more PPV buys either, it's a flawed tactic.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread What an absolute tosser. A bad little piggy! I've seen some bad post fight interviews, but that was a new low. Klitdchko on the other hand a class act. Criticising Haye for bringing boxing into the gutter and thanking the fans including the British - no mention of he fans from Haye.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Well, got it wrong this time. Kinda disappointed that Wlad didn't get him out of there, but when your opponent is so ridiculously negative it's pretty difficult. I really think Haye lost his hunger after realising how much money could be made as a ''world champion'', and only went through with this one because of the amount of grief he was getting after Fraudley.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Two fights from the card in Liverpool on the 16th July. Thought I’d post them nice an early as in my opinion the bookies have priced them up wrong. Contributions welcome J

th to the 16th due to Mitchell having a slight virus.

nd he never clinched and grabbed hold when in trouble to try weather the storm. Instead he tried to fight fire with fire and was clipped again. Cook has a good jab, comes forward and works hard

bookies seriously underestimated cooks chances here.>

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread You serious about Cook's chances mate? BTW he lost to Roman Martinez (Super Feather) not Sergio (middle). From what I read in Boxing News/Monthly (can't remember which one) Cook just wants another pay day for a pub in Tenerife! I think he has had one fight in two years as well, this is a preety farcial match up really, typical Warren.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread I'll weigh in with my picks for July 16th - assuming for the first time ever a promotion put together by Allegedly goes through without pullouts ;) Murray vs Mitchell This is generally being reported as a close to 50-50 fight. Murray is unbeaten in 31 contests, whilst Mitchell has a 31-1 slate with his only defeat coming against the world class Michael Katsidis. However, I'm not convinced that this is the case. Murray has been the more active of the two in recent years. He's won a Lonsdale belt outright, and also annexed the European title beating some middling opposition. Murray can appear to be plodding, but is good at cutting the ring off and throws punches in bunches, especially to the body. Whilst not a heavy hitter, he can certainly get the respect of his opponents and wear them down. Mitchell was highly touted as a young fighter, but appears to have gone off the rails following his war with Carl Johanneson. The manner of his defeat to Katsidis was embarrassing, and he's been involved in certain extra curricular activities that will have done him no favours. Getting back to him as a boxer, his record is a bit..... meh :lol There's lots of wins over last minute replacements, fighters that can't take a punch, and overrated, limited fighters like Prescott. Stylewise, he seems caught between boxing and slugging..... and can be landed on relatively easily. In terms of the matchup between the two, Murray is the bigger, stronger man, he's been more active and is hungry for success. Mitchell to me seems distracted, there's stories about him struggling with the weight too which doesn't sound good. Plus I'm not sure Allegedly would put his new signing in a fight he didn't favour him to win pretty strongly. Murray could be on the cusp of big things - there's lots of potentially exciting fights for him at 135. My pick - Murray by TKO in the later rounds. I can just seem him dragging Mitchell into a fistfight. Against a faded Johanneson that was fine, but against a young lion like Murray with a size advantage it's bad news. Murray in rounds 7-12 at 4/1 seems generous from Skybet.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Burns vs Cook Burns is a pretty underrated fighter in my opinion. As a complete underdog he upset the odds to take the WBO title from Rocky Martinez, who whilst being a bit overrated was a dangerous puncher who stopped Cook. Ricky is a good technical boxer, albeit a basic one, but has a good jab, works well to the body and can fight at a pace for 12 rounds no problem, and take a decent punch. Cook is naturally a smaller man, but will have only made the weight twice in three years come fight night, once against Alex Arthur, who was faded, and the other against Martinez who got to him relatively early. He's a good technical boxer, nice jab etc, but hasn't shown much above domestic level to suggest he can hurt a tough man like Burns..... and his lack of activity is a concern. A six round decision over a part time icecream van driver isn't ideal preparation for a title fight :lol If Cook was younger and more active I'd give him an excellent chance in this fight, but given that he's past 30, inactive and speaking publicly about moving to Tenerife to start a new life you've got to favour Burns. Ricky isn't a heavy puncher by any means but it's fair to say he's faced a fair few durable men. I talk with his trainer Billy Nelson on boxing forums and they are both upset by the criticism he's received for his weak challengers to date, and with this in mind they are keen to put on a show. I expect Cook to cause Ricky a few early problems and perhaps be ahead after four or five rounds. At some stage he will tire and Burns will persist with his body attack and take the fight. The odds for a points win seem about right at 5/4, but I wouldn't rule out a stoppage in the championship rounds either. Boylesports are the only bookie to offer anything more than win only at this stage though. :ok

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Bellew vs McKenzie This is a rematch of an exciting up and down affair that I was lucky enough to see live last year. McKenzie is an avoided fighter that is tough, and punches harder than his record suggests. However, having decked Bellew twice last time and then being dominated from then on, I can't help but reckon that he's had his chance and it's gone. Bellew has all the potential to go to the top. The biggest worries with him is his temperament, he can't help but rush in and try to force the KO with the first punch, and also the weight. He could quite easily put on 2st and look just fine. I expect Bomber to be motivated with the clash with Cleverly likely to be made pretty soon, and get McKenzie out of there inside six rounds. Currently priced at 7/4 by Sportingbet. Frankie Gavin vs Curtis Woodhouse Nice little grudge match this. They've been having a war of words for a while slagging off each other's performances on forums and such.... so the fight is being made. Gavin has ridiculous ability, particularly in terms of counter punching and defence. He's not looked great so far as a pro because he's had to force the fight too much. His trainer said to me that he'll look something like his best when an opponent comes to take his head off. Enter Curtis Woodhouse :lol Make no mistake, this kid isn't going to run around for 12 rounds like Mutley did. He's a brave lad and packs a decent punch, but unfortunately is way over his head here and will probably be stopped in the middle rounds. Gavin KO/TKO is 4/5 with Boyles. Don't expect that to last. Bute vs Mendy I've already spoke about. Huck vs Garay Only BWin have this priced up at the minute, but the even money for Huck on points is tempting. As he's moved up through the ranks his lack of stamina and chin has been exposed, and as seen in the fight with Lebedev he really ain't all that. Garay, like most Argentines is pretty tough but moving up from 175 where his KO % isn't great I don't expect him to be able to trouble Huck where he's most vulnerable. Even if he outboxes Huck there's no guarantee he'll get a decision. Lebedev was a clear winner and still ''lost''. Williams vs Lara - still need to think about this. Williams has a point to prove and is back at his best weight class. I've not seen much of Lara so will check out the footage before making a pick.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Here's the link to the blog, not sure if they are letting me do this yet; http://tofutez.blogspot.com/. Anyway; Tip: Rios to beat Antillon on points 9/4 (bwin) TV: N/A Stakes: WBA World Lightweight Title We might as well start with the guy who I'm guessing people haven't heard of (although this could be true for both fighters in the UK). Urban Antillon has been there with two 'name fighters', Humberto Soto and Miguel Acosta (Rios has also fought Acosta, W TKO 10). In both fights he lost, by technical stoppage against Acosta and by a close points decision with Soto, although to be fair to Antillon the point deducted from him effectivley cost him a majortiy draw verdict as two judges had it 113-114. During some periods of his career, Antillon has vowed to change his trademark Mexican come forward style, he has told us he wanted to work more with the jab against Soto and that didn't really happen. He strikes me as a guy (you have to consider I have seen him fight three times) who reverts back to type, a la Ricky Hatton. Granted this can be a very effective style but it's no concidence that as soon as the brawlers step up to the B level or the A level fighter, they can get found out. Soto was a bit to accurate and skilled for him and just about deserved it in the end. Now some of you may wonder why I am backing a guy with a eight fight KO streak to win on points, so here is why; Antillon's knockout loss was effectivley a one punch knockout, an uppercut right to the cranium (which he is vunerable to). In my opinion I think he will survive against guys who have accumaltive power, like Rios. Checkout this streak Rios has hit since he drew with Perez, 6 of the 8 have been TKO's not KO's, he is a strong, durable type who likes to fight so there is no question he is capable of stopping Antillon but I'm prediciting the streak will end and I think 9/4 is quite a reasonable price here. I wouldn't advise anyone to bet to much on fighters they have not watched to much of, and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to follow advice from someone who also hasan't watched so much of either fighter, so this is a limit stakes bet for me, half of what I would usually bet.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Another Bute fight... another predictable mismatch. Mendy proved to be exactly as I imagined, absolutely terrible. Shouldn't have been in there with Bute, who is becoming a laughing stock with all these tomato cans he keeps facing. Unlucky with the Rios bet, I fancied a stoppage but left it alone ultimately.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Yeh cheers mate, I did actually win money on the Bute fight (group round betting), Rios surprised me as Antillon is qute tough. Im going big on this weeks card though, it's really exciting by Warrens standards.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread I'm going mate, should be good. Still can't believe there's been no pullouts, but still time I guess. Went to see Frankie Gavin train last night, he was in top form. Woodhouse is in for a tough time on Saturday. I've gone with an accy.... Bellew KO Gavin KO Murray win Burns pts Paid around 12/1 when I put it on with Boyles and is similar elsewhere, might be shorter now. Going with Murray KO makes it 17/1 if you fancy.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread If they still ain't letting me post links up; Tips: Numerous (see below) TV: Skysports One from 9.PM Stakes: British/Commonwealth Light Heavy (Bellew/McCenzie and WBO Super Feather (Burns/Cook). A big card and a big opportunity to make up for last weeks loss (all be it a small one). It is unusal for a tipster to predict every match up on a card but that is exactly what I'm attempting here. I'm throwing in some different types of bets that some people maybe unaware of but don't let that fact put you of, this card is well suited to multiple betting opportunites. Let's start with Gavin vs Woodhouse; This one is of particular interest to me, not because they both hail from my neck of the woods but because this has the look of a fun fight, one that has been brewing for a while now. Woodhouse has dropped two decisions in his shortish career thus far, he is quite hard to hit flush with any power shot, to the head or body. He covers up well and has the Abraham/Winky Wright abilty to tuck his elbows right down by his hips, meaning it would take an advanced level fighter to navigate past this above average defence. Unfortunately for the ex Blues Midfielder, the guy in the opposite corner is well on the way (in my humble opinion) to becoming an A+ fighter. Gavin is freakishly talented, he possess; superb angles, excellent footwork, varied punches and perhaps the most relevant attribute in this fight, very good body work. If Gavin turns up here, I see his speed and combination punching gradually overcoming Woodhouse and his defensive tactics. My base bet for this fight would be to cover rounds 4-6 and 7-9 (for Gavin), a technical stoppage is likely here, I would be impressed if Gavin knocks out Woodhouse however. Up next (I presume) is the rematch between Bellew and McKenzie, these two met back in November if I recall correctly. Anyone who can remember will know Bellew was dropped in the first and second rounds of this fight before going on to stop McKenzie in the 8th, people with an even better memory willl know that Bellew was dropped two times previous to this against bog standard oppostion, Ajisafe and the unkown Andrejevs. Bellew for me has a lot of things to work on, the most noticeable one being core strength, alot of people question a fighters chin when he is put down but alot of the time it has alot to do with weight and conditioning, see Khan vs Prescott and then Khan vs Maidana to get what I'm saying here. Bellew is not a big light heavy, compared to say a Pascal or Diaconu but then again you might look at his decent 66% knockout ratio and think otherwise. But anyway, I think Bellew takes this by knockout and his price is floating above odds on for this to happen which I think is quite generous myself. The main factor in this fight is McKenzie's stamina, more specifically how bad it is. I would go as far to say if Bellew had a more rounded attack he would get his opponent out there within six rounds but I do worry for the 'Bomber' long term as he lacks the skills of a potential world class fighter that your going to need in the coming years in the Light Heavy division, considering how many quality fighters will be fighting at 175lbs (Dawson, Cloud, Clev and all the guys from the Super Six, maybe Pavlik). Now for the original main event, Burns vs Cook. Let me start by saying this is farcial match up, even by Warren/WBO standards. Cook has had one fight in the last two years and from what I read in a well known British Boxing Magazine he is basically saving up for a pub in Tenerife. This leads me to boldy suggest that Cook will lose fight, and probably by KO. I have to put the word probably in there because Burns is not exactly a big hitter even though he is big for a Super Feather. I'm not gonna waste much time here, Burns will get him out of there with his jab and body punches, of which he is quite adept at. You can actually get above evens with most bookmakers for a Burns knockout. Cook is on the beach. Finally, the rather fascinating Lightweight clash between two borderline world level fighters. Kevin Mitchell cannot really afford to lose this one, Warren looks as if he is losing patience with the eastender for a whole number of reasons, your talking about a guy here who blew a six figure sum on Booze after his early round stoppage to Michael Katisdis. So we have to consider whether Mitchell is in the right place for what will be a big challenge. You also have think whether throwing Mitchell back into the spotlight without a warm up is a wise call. What strikes me is that the guy who is know labelled as the Boxer (Mitchell) has a comfortbaly higher knockout percentage than the guy who is known as the slugger (Murray). Mitchell is a talented guy, who has shown he can move laterally, fight on the backfoot and go to war in various fights, Murray I think it's fair to say divides opinion across the Boxing fraternity. In the same way Carl Froch did when he jumped onto the world scene, there are a few parrallels between the two. They look awkard and unbalanced at times but they can box very well when they choose too. My base bet here is for the fight to go over 9.5 rounds, mainly because I rate both fighters in the defensive department, I believe Murray has the slightly better offense, he has a more consistent jab than Mitchell but he does lack the movement and all round ring intelligence that Mitchell has in his locker. If your looking for a winner here, I will stick my neck out and say Murray on points. This is one of the alternative bets that you should consider, I'm throwing in some multiples here because betting on just one or two bouts in Boxing is not always worth it considering how the bookies price the fights up; Base Bets Gavin 4pts rounds 4-6 Gavin 4pts 7-9, both 5/1 with bet365 Bellew by knockout 7pts, 3/5with bet365 Burns by knockout 6pts, 5/4 with bet365 Over 9.5 rounds (Murray/Mitchell) 5pts, 4/5 with bet365 Now if your looking at a standard four-fold here, expect a 30/1 shot at all these coming off. If you are looking at a more conservative approach, you might want to consider a yankee. This involves 11 bets with four selections, at least two must be correct to gain some money back. If you are a brave man and fancy a fiver on the above, you would bet 55 of your British pounds and you could potentially win 700 pound plus. If say the most unlikely bet does not come off, in this case Gavin, you would still profit 30 pounds. Now obviously you need four bets here so you have to get rid of one of the Gavin base bets, but because I am a gambling addict I'm putting this on the alternative bet; Gavin 4pts rounds4-6, 5/1 bet365 Murray on points 5pts. 12/5 bet365 Bellew by KO 7Pps, 3/5 bet365 I'm looking at a patent here, which is seven bets with 3 selections, you need just one for a return. Using the five pound example, if all three come of you will net a tidy 360 pound profit. Whatever your going on enjoy the fights, as it's rare that such a card is put together and stays together (fingers crossed). @tofutez

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread The longer Bellew tries to stay at 175 the shorter career he'll have. He's pretty much bone dry at that weight, I spoke with his former trainer on Tuesday who said that he could easily move up to cruiser and carry his power up with him..... would help him take a better shot too. Apparently he was never down as an amateur, fighting at 200lbs, yet down four times in 15 fights at 175. Tells it's own story. He's as skilled as anyone in the gym, I've seen it at first hand, but for some reason loses his composure in the ring and tries to bang people out with every punch and gets caught with silly shots. His footwork is excellent, he's got the full range of shots and KO power in both hands. Just needs to calm down and listen to his corner.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Looks like it might be just me and you on this one Leeds Legend, is a shame as I really think there is money to be made on this card. Burns was above evens for a KO and now Ladbrokes have suspended betting on that market after the weigh in (Cook had two attempts).

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Lee Purdy vs Craig Watson Purdy to win 2/1 Various This seems a generous bet to me, Watson was winning their initial fight until the knockout, so unless he gets caught again logic says that Watson ought to win this comfortably. But - he was embarrassed in sparring by Ronnie Heffron last week, who has only had five pro fights. Apparently his trainer called it off, drove him back to the gym and hammered him for another couple of hours. It's not worth putting in your accumulators but well worth a small bet on the side.

Re: 2011 Boxing Thread Sport Boxing Event Frankie Gavin vs. Curtis Woodhouse Selection Frankie Gavin by KO/TKO/DQ Strength 10/10 Date 16/07/2011 Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.50 Reasoning Despite being very unimpressive in his shutout win over Young Mutley, I fully expect hot prospect Frankie Gavin to keep his unbeaten streak and stop former professional footballer Curtis Woodhouse tonight. Far more skilled than Woodhouse, Gavin will be looking for a big performance to make up for last time out and finish with a stoppage. Good luck. Sport Boxing Event Tony Bellew vs. Ovil McKenzie Selection Tony Bellew by KO/TKO/DQ Strength 10/10 Date 16/07/2011 Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.56 Reasoning Tony Bellew is a Liverpudlian fighter that is chasing a fight with Welsh titleholder Nathan Cleverly, but first has to negotiate a rematch against puncher Ovil McKenzie. The first fight was an entertaining fight with both fighters down in the fight and Bellew eventually stopping McKenzie in the eighth. This time, I see Bellew stopping him earlier and retaining his belts. Good luck.