UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December The over-riding factor tonight is the relative importance of the matches for the teams. We have quite a few matches with little or no meaning for the teams involved. My thinking is that in relatively meaningless matches the DRAW result has increased chances since it could be seen as the ultimate meaningless result. So, I am going with the DRAW in the following matches: Werder - Inter @ 3.83 Inter are going with a lot of substitutes, but this doesn't recommend Werder's win in any great way, I think. Werder hasn't been convincing enough to trust for a win. I think Benitez will play it tight and see if he can nick the match or at least draw and hope Twente defeats Tottenham. Manchester U. - Valencia @ 3.53 Man U. can win top spot even with a draw. Sure, Man U has the ability to win, but they may not and still get what they want. So, a bet on the straight home win at short odds is not a good bet for me. I'd rather go for the good odds of the draw Benfica - Schalke @ 4.23 If Lyon defeats Tel Aviv, the result becomes irrelevant for Benfica. This is likely to happen and the match becomes more meaningless. Schalke would like to win and stay top of the group, but I can't see Benfica lying down totally and Schalke's recent away performance isn't great. A draw is likely, I think. Bursaspor - Rangers @ 3.50 This match has no bearing on the standings. It is simply a pride issue and the money for the result. I see these teams as having a scoring problem and we could get a 0-0 here or 1-1 at best. The result saves face for both teams, both collect something for the draw and Bursaspor get their first point in the CL. The odds are worth it. Twente - Tottenham @ 3.53 Not any significant difference between these two teams quality wise, I think. Tottenham would like to win, but I can't see Twente lying down for them in front of their fans. I just see these teams as equal in strength and don't see them breaking a deadlock. All odds are from Pinnacle. The Accum. odds are 706. I will be placing a 1 unit stake for the fun of it. With one draw: 2/3 of the bets are returned. With two draws or more: profit is returned. Good luck everybody....:hope

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December Bremen v Inter Dejan Stankovic,Sulley Muntari,Julio Cesar, Walter Samuel, Coutinho, Joel Obi, Maicon and Cristian Chivu are all out while Benitez has left Lucio, Diego Milito and Wesley Sneijder at home. In last 4 away matches Inter only got 1 point.i just don't see Bremen finishing CL with 0 points.Also italians do strugle against germans teams away.Bremen was hit with injuries at the begining of the CL that's why they lost so many matches.Now some players are comming back and i see them taking points tonight. Bremen DNB @1.675 bet365 GL :ok

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December

Hi guys' date=' I just checked Inter team news look who WILL NOT be playing tonight; Lucio, Milito,Sneijder this is in addition to the injuries of Cesar, Stankovic, Coutinho, Maicon,Samuel and Chivu. Thats why I'm going to take the 2.50 on offer with Paddys for home win. Also point to note Werder never lost to an Italian team in 9 attempts.[/quote'] You're sharp!:ok Werder Bremen (4-2-3-1): Wiese, Fritz, Mertesacker, Prödl, Pasanen, Frings, Bargfrede; Arnautovic, Hunt, Marin, Hugo Almeida. All: Schaaf

INTER (4-4-2): Castellazzi, Zanetti, Cordoba, Materazzi, Biraghi, Biabiany, Nwankwo, Motta, Muntari,

Eto'o, Pandev All: Benitez Werder has been pretty good lately, they have a good chance to give their season in Bundesliga a new and better boost by winning against current CL holders. Look at Inter, its a mix of 'too-old and too young with no creativity'. But there's always Eto'o threat :eek Werder looks like a winners to me here.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December Bursaspor v Rangers First of all any thoughts of this being a rather meaningless game with not much to play for are sadly mistaken. With the Turks being so passionate, there is no doubt they will be playing for the win to at least get some pride back as their manager has already stated. For Rangers on the other hand this is still a pretty important fixture. With our current financial difficulties, £750,000 for a win is not to be sniffed at, and Martin Bain the Rangers CE will not need to have told Walter Smith the importance of this. This added to the importance of the chance to be seeded in the Europa league and also the overall Uefa coefficient means Rangers will certainly not be taking this game lightly. With regards to the game my original fancy of Bursaspor have tamed somewhat, and not just because their price has come in. After a great start to the season, their form since Rangers won the home tie 1-0 has been poor having won just 3 from 14 in all competitions. A tough game just two days ago against Besiktas also has to be a factor, especially playing half the game with 10 men. In the game at Ibrox Rangers played some of the best football of the season in the first 25 minutes and should have been further ahead in that period. Bursaspor then came into the game with more possesion, but done little with it and never threatened Rangers goal, and with the clear cut chances we created on the breakaway in the second half, the final scoreline flattered Bursaspor imo. However, i think they are still a team of good technichal ability and it goes without saying that this will be a much tougher game for us tonight, even though we won't be playing in one of the many cauldrons of Istanbul, but in much tamer surrounding out in the country. My main worries for rangers are the loss of Edu who protects our defence, runs all day and breaks up play and is also a big goal threat from set pieces. But most importantly is our defence even with the return of Boughera who is one our most important players. We have been making uncharacteristic mistakes all season and Papac still being out is a massive loss and changes the shape of our defence. Broadfoot is also out and whilst he isn't the greatest defender in the world by any means, he is still reliable, which can't be said for Whittaker who is a liability defencively and has been poor all season, and Ricky Foster is simply not good enough for this level. Also the talk has been that Miller will be rested and Beattie coming in and if this is the case will seriously dent Rangers chances of getting a result. His pace and movement are an integral part of how we play when on the break away from home and whilst beattie may well be fit? :wall he lacks any game time and wouldn't have the same impact as Miller. Team news is vital for me in this match if i am to get involved, but i certainly fancy Bursaspor to find the net. I disagrre with JK withe regards to the corners as i think this will be more of an open game than many think and i will almost definately be laying 9 or less corners on Betfair. Also agree with Dak i think it was that their may be value in the overs currently @ 2.36 and if they move quickly towards 2.5 in play i'll might have a nibble.

Rangers can lose and 3rd place for the Europa League is still their's. I would advise caution in betting on under 2.5 goals in a match where there is really no pressure' date=' result wise, for either team. So, if Rangers do play their best 11 and they are all out for a result and Bursaspor is also shooting for its first points in the CL, we could get over 2.5 goals in this match.[/quote'] This match has no bearing on the standings. It is simply a pride issue and the money for the result. I see these teams as having a scoring problem and we could get a 0-0 here or 1-1 at best. The result saves face for both teams, both collect something for the draw and Bursaspor get their first point in the CL. The odds are worth it. Posted by Dak :ok Wow Dak, thats some change of opinion?

This match has no bearing on the standings. It is simply a pride issue and the money for the result. I see these teams as having a scoring problem and we could get a 0-0 here or 1-1 at best. The result saves face for both teams' date=' both collect something for the draw and Bursaspor get their first point in the CL. The odds are worth it. [b']Posted by Dak :ok Wow Dak, thats some change of opinion?
Yes, anything wrong with changing your opinion over a span of about 10 hours? Having looked at it again, I couldn't see either team as being able to score much.....but I still wouldn't consider the over/under market in a match with somewhat mitigated importance....

Bursaspor v Rangers First of all any thoughts of this being a rather meaningless game with not much to play for are sadly mistaken. With the Turks being so passionate, there is no doubt they will be playing for the win to at least get some pride back as their manager has already stated. For Rangers on the other hand this is still a pretty important fixture. With our current financial difficulties, £750,000 for a win is not to be sniffed at, and Martin Bain the Rangers CE will not need to have told Walter Smith the importance of this. This added to the importance of the chance to be seeded in the Europa league and also the overall Uefa coefficient means Rangers will certainly not be taking this game lightly. With regards to the game my original fancy of Bursaspor have tamed somewhat, and not just because their price has come in. After a great start to the season, their form since Rangers won the home tie 1-0 has been poor having won just 3 from 14 in all competitions. A tough game just two days ago against Besiktas also has to be a factor, especially playing half the game with 10 men. In the game at Ibrox Rangers played some of the best football of the season in the first 25 minutes and should have been further ahead in that period. Bursaspor then came into the game with more possesion, but done little with it and never threatened Rangers goal, and with the clear cut chances we created on the breakaway in the second half, the final scoreline flattered Bursaspor imo. However, i think they are still a team of good technichal ability and it goes without saying that this will be a much tougher game for us tonight, even though we won't be playing in one of the many cauldrons of Istanbul, but in much tamer surrounding out in the country. My main worries for rangers are the loss of Edu who protects our defence, runs all day and breaks up play and is also a big goal threat from set pieces. But most importantly is our defence even with the return of Boughera who is one our most important players. We have been making uncharacteristic mistakes all season and Papac still being out is a massive loss and changes the shape of our defence. Broadfoot is also out and whilst he isn't the greatest defender in the world by any means, he is still reliable, which can't be said for Whittaker who is a liability defencively and has been poor all season, and Ricky Foster is simply not good enough for this level. Also the talk has been that Miller will be rested and Beattie coming in and if this is the case will seriously dent Rangers chances of getting a result. His pace and movement are an integral part of how we play when on the break away from home and whilst beattie may well be fit? :wall he lacks any game time and wouldn't have the same impact as Miller. Team news is vital for me in this match if i am to get involved, but i certainly fancy Bursaspor to find the net. I disagrre with JK withe regards to the corners as i think this will be more of an open game than many think and i will almost definately be laying 9 or less corners on Betfair. Also agree with Dak i think it was that their may be value in the overs currently @ 2.36 and if they move quickly towards 2.5 in play i'll might have a nibble.
A difficult game to judge on the betting front mate. It's been a poor campaign for Bursa with zero points so far so they'll be desperate to put a show on for the fans. I don't think Walter will be thinking too much about the 750k. Yes the money would certainly come in handy but the club will be more than happy with the 16-17m which has already been generated from this campaign. With Europa League qualification guaranteed we go into this game with no pressure. It looks like Walter has put out the best team he possibly can. We're already threadbare as it is. Maurice Edu, Sasa Papac, Andrew Little, Kyle Lafferty, Kirk Broadfoot and Andy Webster are all out. I totally disagree with you about Foster. I think he's played very well during this campaign. He certainly hasn't looked out of place and won man of the match against Valencia. Bougherra returning will certainly be a big boost to the backline. Confirmed line-up.. McGregor Cole Bougherra Weir Whittaker Foster Davis Hutton McCulloch Naismith Miller The only change from the Man Utd game is young Cole making his debut in place of Weiss. This will allow Davis to move in to his favoured midfield role. Ultimately it's a meaningless game for both sides. Rangers have quite a few absentess but i don't think i could confidently back this Bursa side. Their recent form has been poor. At a push i'd go with the draw.

Yes, anything wrong with changing your opinion over a span of about 10 hours? Having looked at it again, I couldn't see either team as being able to score much.....but I still wouldn't consider the over/under market in a match with somewhat mitigated importance....
No not at all, but in a over/under call less so imo, so no need to be so defensive:ok I fancied Bursa yesterday, but as i mentioned not nearly so much now.

A difficult game to judge on the betting front mate. It's been a poor campaign for Bursa with zero points so far so they'll be desperate to put a show on for the fans. I don't think Walter will be thinking too much about the 750k. Yes the money would certainly come in handy but the club will be more than happy with the 16-17m which has already been generated from this campaign. With Europa League qualification guaranteed we go into this game with no pressure. It looks like Walter has put out the best team he possibly can. We're already threadbare as it is. Maurice Edu, Sasa Papac, Andrew Little, Kyle Lafferty, Kirk Broadfoot and Andy Webster are all out. I totally disagree with you about Foster. I think he's played very well during this campaign. He certainly hasn't looked out of place and won man of the match against Valencia. Bougherra returning will certainly be a big boost to the backline. McGregor Cole Bougherra Weir Whittaker Foster Davis Hutton McCulloch Naismith Miller Ultimately it's a meaningless game for both sides. Rangers have quite a few absentess but i don't think i could confidently back this Bursa side. Their recent form has been poor. At a push i'd go with the draw.
Totally disagree about Foster, and i think your getting carried away with his performance against Valencia. No Rangers game is ever meaningless, not one and i honestly can't believe you've said that.

Totally disagree about Foster, and i think your getting carried away with his performance against Valencia. No Rangers game is ever meaningless, not one and i honestly can't believe you've said that.
I'm surprised you haven't been impressed with Foster in Europe. The general feeling amongst fans has been that he's performed well. I'm sure he got the official man of the match against Valencia. It is a meaningless game, that's a fact. I know exactly the point you're making as a fan however, nothing but 100% effort will be acceptable to us but the reality is both sides final group position has already been confirmed so that makes it a meaningless game. You only need to look through history to see how teams often take their foot off the gas when the game is pretty much meaningless. The fact it's meaningless makes the game even more difficult to judge as far as i'm concerned.

Hi Dak' date=' What staking plan will you use? ie: how many pts on the accumulator, 4 folds, trebles etc Thanks[/quote'] Hi! Yes, sorry....I forgot to mention stakes. I am staking 10/10 on each match (singles) and placing a 1/10 stake on the 5 fold parlay. Total unit staked = 51

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December Barca team looks ropey at best untried but unsurprising, considering there is little to play for I'm expecting an uncertain start for a side that won't have played together before and a defensive set-up from Rubin as they have stated; 0-0 HT @3.25 hills.

I'm surprised you haven't been impressed with Foster in Europe. The general feeling amongst fans has been that he's performed well. I'm sure he got the official man of the match against Valencia. It is a meaningless game, that's a fact. I know exactly the point you're making as a fan however, nothing but 100% effort will be acceptable to us but the reality is both sides final group position has already been confirmed so that makes it a meaningless game. You only need to look through history to see how teams often take their foot off the gas when the game is pretty much meaningless. The fact it's meaningless makes the game even more difficult to judge as far as i'm concerned.
I'll pm you after the game mate with regards to games being 'meaningless' to save us cluttering up the thread. :ok

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December Man Utd: Amos, Rafael Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Fabio Da Silva, Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Park, Berbatov, Rooney. Subs: Kuszczak, Giggs, Smalling, Hernandez, Fletcher, Obertan, Macheda. Valencia: Guaita, Miguel, Ricardo Costa, Dealbert, Mathieu, Pablo, Banega, Albelda, Jordi Alba, Dominguez, Aduriz. Subs: Cesar, Maduro, Soldado, Mata, Feghouli, Costa, Isco. Fergie is seemingly putting out his strongest team available and has been quoted pre-match that he really wants to top the group. Interesting to see Valencias team minus Soldado and Mata in the starting line up as well maybe suggesting that they're content with mere qualification. The intent is there for United and they are formiddable at home in the Champions League. Manchester United AH (-1) @ 1.875 all of a sudden seems rather appealing. Will stick a few units on that.

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December FC Twente v Tottenham Over 2.5 goals @ 1.90 (188bet) 3/10 Suprised at the odds on offer for this selection, Tottenham aren't usually involved in many low-scoring games. All their five group games and two CL qualifiers have all gone over. The reverse game between these two finished 4-1 to Tottenham. Twente are maybe not such an attacking team but their previous two games at home in the CL have had goals (2-2 v Inter & 1-1 v Bremen). Whilst Twente can't qualify for the next round I'm sure they'll want to put in a good performance for the fans here also Tottenham need a win to make sure of top place and don't have any incentive to play for a draw or anything. So I expect a fairly open games as per usual for Tottenham really and I like the chances of this going overs, odds are definitley too long in my opinion here.

Man Utd: Amos, Rafael Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Fabio Da Silva, Nani, Carrick, Anderson, Park, Berbatov, Rooney. Subs: Kuszczak, Giggs, Smalling, Hernandez, Fletcher, Obertan, Macheda. Valencia: Guaita, Miguel, Ricardo Costa, Dealbert, Mathieu, Pablo, Banega, Albelda, Jordi Alba, Dominguez, Aduriz. Subs: Cesar, Maduro, Soldado, Mata, Feghouli, Costa, Isco. Fergie is seemingly putting out his strongest team available and has been quoted pre-match that he really wants to top the group. Interesting to see Valencias team minus Soldado and Mata in the starting line up as well maybe suggesting that they're content with mere qualification. The intent is there for United and they are formiddable at home in the Champions League. Manchester United AH (-1) @ 1.875 all of a sudden seems rather appealing. Will stick a few units on that.
he was always going to, they haven't played for 10 days and need to build on the momentum of the blackburn game as they don't play again until Monday. I'm on Utd aswell but disappointed I missed the earlier 8/11. In some ways it suits Valencia coming second as they automatically avoid Real, barca and Man utd anyway due to restrictions on same nationality teams meeeting and being unable to meet a team from the group stage.

Barca team looks ropey at best untried but unsurprising' date=' considering there is little to play for I'm expecting an uncertain start for a side that won't have played together before and a defensive set-up from Rubin as they have stated; 0-0 HT @3.25 hills.[/quote'] Shame I didn't put much on it :lol..wish I had gone both to score in the Spurs game like I was thinking, never mind..come on Rubin second half, DNB at 6.0:hope

Benfica - Schalke Over 2,5 Goals @ 2,05 A risky one, but the odds are worth it. ... so I see two scenarios 1) a slightly more open and relaxed Schalke is what Benfica needs for a riot and 2) a goal for Schalke could crack Benfica and turn the game upside down, into another goal feast... Twente - THFC Over 2,5 Goals @ 1,95 ...I see them going out for pride and relaxed, and they wouldn't mind scalping Spurs here at all... and let's face it - anyone can score vs Spurs. I am also sure Spurs are going out for a win. Overall - all things I need to go for Over 2,5 Goals are here. Werder - Inter Over 2,5 Goals @ 1,90 ...exactly the kind of game you would expect them to either shine, or occasionally sparkle and get demolished. Good luck all!
I will take that! :ok P.S. And Spurs top of the group, grand day!

Bursapor v Rangers Neither team with much to play for here so I'm not expecting an overly exciting game of brilliant football. I've taken a dip into the corners market here as I often feel that with games with little to player for there are generally less corners. So far this season in the champions league, away from home Rangers had no corners against Man Utd and 3 corners against Valencia. Bursapor have done better at home with 7 corners against United and 9 against Valencia, but those were more open games with more to play for, plus Bursapor were chasing the game from early on. Under 9.5 Corners @ 6/4 - 5pts - StanJames
A grand total of 4 corners, easy peasy lemon squeezy. +7.5pts :beer

FC Twente v Tottenham Over 2.5 goals @ 1.90 (188bet) 3/10 Suprised at the odds on offer for this selection, Tottenham aren't usually involved in many low-scoring games. All their five group games and two CL qualifiers have all gone over. The reverse game between these two finished 4-1 to Tottenham. Twente are maybe not such an attacking team but their previous two games at home in the CL have had goals (2-2 v Inter & 1-1 v Bremen). Whilst Twente can't qualify for the next round I'm sure they'll want to put in a good performance for the fans here also Tottenham need a win to make sure of top place and don't have any incentive to play for a draw or anything. So I expect a fairly open games as per usual for Tottenham really and I like the chances of this going overs, odds are definitley too long in my opinion here.
Nice and easy this one. :clap

I will take that! :ok P.S. And Spurs top of the group, grand day!
Well Done Nicko! You can always rely on Spurs for goals - bit of a strange match or should I say bit of a strange ref! But top spot and seeded for the next round :clap

Well Done Nicko! You can always rely on Spurs for goals - bit of a strange match or should I say bit of a strange ref! But top spot and seeded for the next round :clap
That plus that magic turnover at Arsenal keeps me happy till ...I don't know, long, long time :lol

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December Most frustrating night of the season. I researched for hours yesterday and came up with one prediction for all eight games. Whittled those 8 down to three and backed them. They returned 0 points. Just my luck that all the other 5 came in. Shocking night.

pg_yid how about Tottenham's injuries and absences lists, and performance in last week game? Was VdV missed a lot in this week?
Sorry I missed this as I had already gone out to the pub to watch the game, so didn't get a chance to reply, but Brettfair answered your questions anyhow. Am well happy! Champions League, we're having a laugh! :clap

Re: UEFA Champions League > Tuesday 7th December Twente Enchede - Tottenham under 2.5 @ 2.05 :@ Once the defender and keeper gave away a poor goal like that, it was never going to stay under Werder Bremen - Inter Milan under 2.12 :@ Surprised that Bremen won, and to score a 88th goal to send it over Benfica - Schalke under 2.5 @ 2.06 :@ Two goals in the last 10 minutes to send it over. Looked good for most of the game Lyon - Hapoel Tel Aviv under 2.5 @ 2.61 :@ Surprised that Lyon allowed in two goals Man Utd - Valencia under 2.5 @ 2.06 :D Barcelona - Rubin Kazan under 2.5 @ 2.10 :D