** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rugby League: Four Nations 2010

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 One outright for me. 3pts New Zealand to win Four Nations 16/5 Sportingbet I like New Zealand in this tournament. This is a two horse race for all the money in the world. England just aren't good enough and their choice of coach will baffle me until the day I die. And Papua New Guinea are just making up the numbers. So this will be an Australia & New Zealand final. So with that in mind 16/5 on the world champions is a wonderful price but it's an even better price when we consider Australia's huge injury problems. Losing the likes of Greg Inglis is a massive loss. Of course Australia have strength in depth in abundance but New Zealand are a solid outfit. And more importantly they are good in their own surroundings. Australia may well go into the final as favourites but I think New Zealand can upset them in that final and at bigger than 3/1, New Zealand definitely have to be the value call in a 4 horse race which only two are likely to be genuine contenders.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 New Zealand -6.5pts @ 1.50 (Betfair) Short odds, but deservedly so. NZ have been able to put together some strong teams in the last few years, and this year is no different. England also have notoriously struggled in recent times touring Australia, particularly the early games of the tour before they are used to the climate. While they do have a talented team, particularly in the forwards, I can't see them matching the Kiwis in intensity for the entire 80 minutes. This game will be seen on both sides as the ticket to the finals, as losing this would mean a must win game against Australia.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Will have a look at the spreads today. I can't see this being a 60-0 win by Australia. They clearly see the game as nothing more then a hit out before the England and NZ games in the coming weeks. Last time these two played, Australia won 46-6, which seems like a fairly average scoreline when Australia play minnows in these tournaments. Sell Aus Team Points @ 60 Sell Aus Multipoints (1st Half pts x 2nd Half pts) @ 900 Sell PNG Multipoints @ 15 Sell Aus Hotshots (25 pts per Slater/Morris/Tuqiri/Tonga Try) @ 150

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010

One outright for me. 3pts New Zealand to win Four Nations 16/5 Sportingbet I like New Zealand in this tournament. This is a two horse race for all the money in the world. England just aren't good enough and their choice of coach will baffle me until the day I die. And Papua New Guinea are just making up the numbers. So this will be an Australia & New Zealand final. So with that in mind 16/5 on the world champions is a wonderful price but it's an even better price when we consider Australia's huge injury problems. Losing the likes of Greg Inglis is a massive loss. Of course Australia have strength in depth in abundance but New Zealand are a solid outfit. And more importantly they are good in their own surroundings. Australia may well go into the final as favourites but I think New Zealand can upset them in that final and at bigger than 3/1, New Zealand definitely have to be the value call in a 4 horse race which only two are likely to be genuine contenders.
Wouldn't go near this bet with the news of Manu Vatuveis broken arm. Without the danger he poses on the wing the kiwis are a weakened side.\ Last nights disjointed victory over a poor england team didn't look good for anyone.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 PNG +36.5 points @ 4.5 on Betfair is stupidly huge. These teams have played 10 times in the last decade, and at no point have the Aussies ever beaten this spread. The highest winning margin they have ever recorded is 32 points. For those who prefer a bit less risk the 1.9 for PNG +50.5pts is still good value. PNG aren't mugs, they have NRL experiance in Paul Aition and 5 players based in the UK. Yes, they are going to lose, but I think it'll be by about 20 - 25 pts

PNG +36.5 points @ 4.5 on Betfair is stupidly huge. These teams have played 10 times in the last decade, and at no point have the Aussies ever beaten this spread. The highest winning margin they have ever recorded is 32 points. For those who prefer a bit less risk the 1.9 for PNG +50.5pts is still good value. PNG aren't mugs, they have NRL experiance in Paul Aition and 5 players based in the UK. Yes, they are going to lose, but I think it'll be by about 20 - 25 pts
Unfortunately, the write-up on NRL.com (I'm assuming that is where you got the stat from :p) isn't quite correct. In the 2008 World Cup, Australia beat PNG 46-6 where they did cover the 36.5 point handicap.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 After what 26 minutes the Kumulus are behind 26 points. If they keep on playing the same way the kangoroos might cover the spread of 36 pts even at half time. I'm glad I took the -50 spread @ 1.90 which now looks like a sure bet.

Will have a look at the spreads today. I can't see this being a 60-0 win by Australia. They clearly see the game as nothing more then a hit out before the England and NZ games in the coming weeks. Last time these two played, Australia won 46-6, which seems like a fairly average scoreline when Australia play minnows in these tournaments. Sell Aus Team Points @ 60 (Closed @ 47) :clap Sell Aus Multipoints (1st Half pts x 2nd Half pts) @ 900 (Closed @ 806) :clap Sell PNG Multipoints @ 15 (Settled @ 0) :clap:clap Sell Aus Hotshots (25 pts per Slater/Morris/Tuqiri/Tonga Try) @ 150 (Closed @ 125) :clap
25 to go and I have decided to close out my bets as I think Aus will run over PNG in the final quarter.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Well ... Kangoroos failed to cover the 50 pts spread but I am sure that if it wasn't for the rain the score would have been a lot higher. After seening both Kiwis and Kangoroos playing their first game, I still fancy New Zeeland to win the tournament but we must take into consideration that Australia hasn't played at it's full potential today . :( Can't wait for the next week's game against England !!!:clap

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 PNG aren't mugs, they have NRL experiance in Paul Aition and 5 players based in the UK. Yes, they are going to lose, but I think it'll be by about 20 - 25 pts Those 5 UK based players are in the 2nd tier of English rugby. One for the remaining European Cup game today. Ireland over Scotland @ 4/5 skybet. No time for an essay. Not one for big outlay, given it's a dead rubber and players will have cases packed for the off, but a Generous scratch play, given their sterling effort at Euro winners Wales last week. The Scots have'nt beaten Ireland in their 6 game history between the two countries, and the Irish have home field today. On a sidenote...has to be the best value spectator game for today. £10 family ticket or 5'er adult.:clap

Wouldn't go near this bet with the news of Manu Vatuveis broken arm.
If only I had the foresight to see the winger breaking his arm in the 2nd minute eh. For the record, NZ won the last world cup against Australia in the Suncorp in Brisbane. Home advantage is advantageous but not essential. Before a ball was kicked in this tournament NZ were definitely the value outright punt. Now that they are as good as in the final I still believe that's the case with Australia's injury problems.

The annual 4 way tournament begins down under at the weekend. Sadly no "name the finalists" markets are out but I'm sure there will be a few betting opportunities over the next month or so.
Sky had THEM @ 4/6 early doors. Surprisingly the market was only up a day or two. :lol

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 One for the morning. 3pts New Zealand (-44pts) to beat Papua New Guinea 10/11 Stan James I think this line is well within the Kiwi's reach. They only really played for 45 minutes but still beat England pretty cosily but here is a chance to send a marker out to Australia for what I'm pretty certain will be back to back tests against the Green and Gold, the 2nd of which will decide the winner of this competition. Manu Vatuvei is missing with his fractured arm but Sam Perrett, his replacement is solid and has lots of international experience. The Kiwis have made a couple of changes in their pack but the two coming in will be hungry for a good performance. With the likes of Lance Hohaia and Benji Marshall in the side the Kiwis will always be dangerous. Nightingale is a try machine too so I'm happy with the Kiwis. This will be a real big test for Stanley Gene's charges. Many of them play in the 2nd tier of the English domestic system, this shows the lack of quality they have to pick from. Sure there's a sprinkling of NRL players in there too but for me NZ will have too much and be too good for PNG. I fully expect the world champions to win this by 50pts and more.

One for the morning. 3pts New Zealand (-44pts) to beat Papua New Guinea 10/11 Stan James I think this line is well within the Kiwi's reach. They only really played for 45 minutes but still beat England pretty cosily but here is a chance to send a marker out to Australia for what I'm pretty certain will be back to back tests against the Green and Gold, the 2nd of which will decide the winner of this competition. Manu Vatuvei is missing with his fractured arm but Sam Perrett, his replacement is solid and has lots of international experience. The Kiwis have made a couple of changes in their pack but the two coming in will be hungry for a good performance. With the likes of Lance Hohaia and Benji Marshall in the side the Kiwis will always be dangerous. Nightingale is a try machine too so I'm happy with the Kiwis. This will be a real big test for Stanley Gene's charges. Many of them play in the 2nd tier of the English domestic system, this shows the lack of quality they have to pick from. Sure there's a sprinkling of NRL players in there too but for me NZ will have too much and be too good for PNG. I fully expect the world champions to win this by 50pts and more.
Have to agree with you on this one Kev. The Kiwis make a habit of belting minnow nations in these tournaments. They have averaged a winning margin against PNG of 53 pts over their past 3 games, and in last years Four Nations beat France 62-12. :hope

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Yeah ....Kiwis gave the kumunculus guys a real rugby lesson and prooved that they are the best team at this tournament. The Kangaroos treated the first game like a training session and haven't showed anything that resembles to their great history in this sport. Unfortunately for them tomorrow they are not playing with the New Guinee but with England, a team which will try everything in order to reach the final. After seeing all the matches at this tournament, I'm still with the Kiwis to win Four Nations but not 100% percent, but my instinct tells me that after tomorrow's game I will be. My bet for tomorrow is : Australia vs England(+18) @ 1.90

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 3pts Australia (-18) to beat England 10/11 Bet365 As an Englishman this isn't a bet I want to take but it is the right bet to take. I can't see anywhere on the park England match up well with Australia, even as weakened as they are. I can't understand dropping Gareth Widdop who I thought played well in the centres last week. Speaking of the centres we've got a debutant there in Leroy Cudjoe but the main problem for us is the pack. Jamie Peacock and Adrian Morley are huge losses. Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess remain world class in their positions but that pack just lacks some real oomph that Morley in particular could bring. We're way too light in the halves and three-quarters and lacking power in the forwards. Australia are weakened but they still have a daunting looking side out. Last week England let Benji Marshall control them and Lockyer could have them for breakfast. If England move forward in defence rather than go with a reactive defence they had last week they'd have an outside squeak but for me Australia are too strong and too good and they'll win this and I fancy them to win by 20pts or maybe a few more.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 oz-18 2.0 sportingbt. hope thunderstrms keep off , but england with avege players throughout the 17. joel will be ofending and giving away pens like he dos in sl and dont be surprised if the biff kicks off. the ausies still smarting from the phisiacl attention they got from gb last time. theyv took stick for the png game nut it was plasyed in crap weather and it was lockyers . smith cronk thaidays first game for over 4 weekss. watch out for thiday hits..awesome.england backs average and loughlin not a specilist 6. luke a trier but huge stepuop tomorow . slater and morriss to havea feild day

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Largest bet of the season on the Kangeroos -12.5pts tonight @ 1.58 I watched England last week in Wellington and they were awful; the hosts have far too much class for this under strength England team.

For the record, NZ won the last world cup against Australia in the Suncorp in Brisbane. Home advantage is advantageous but not essential. Before a ball was kicked in this tournament NZ were definitely the value outright punt. Now that they are as good as in the final I still believe that's the case with Australia's injury problems.
True, the world cup final was a great win for the Kiwis, the 2nd half comeback was awesome. However these teams have played 12 times over the past 4 years and the world cup final was the kiwis only victory. Over these games they have scored 266 pts to the kiwis 139. An average score of 22 vs 11. I'd love to be wrong and will be at Eden Park on Saturday cheering them on against Australia, but I'd really have them as a 6.0 shot at this point as fair odds.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Agree with you guys, Australia step it up several steps when they play NZ or ENG, and can see England struggling to keep up here. England always seem to struggle in Australia as well. Will go with AUS to cover the 18.5pt handicap, and also have a nibble at the -28.5pt handicap at odds of 4. It is also interesting to note that Slater seems to love playing England, scoring 5 tries against England in last years tournament. He also scored a hat-trick against them in the only game between the 2 sides in the 2008 World Cup. With his speed up the middle, as well as his understanding with fellow Storm team mates Smith and Cronk, I think he should be able to bag a couple of tries here. Australia -18.5 @ 2.14 (Betfair) Australia -28.5 @ 4.00 (Betfair) Buy B.Slater Try Minutes @ 38 (SportingIndex) Buy Australia Try Minutes @ 245 (SportingIndex) Buy Australia Hotshots (25 pts/try - Slater, Morris, Tonga, Tuqiri) @ 79 (SportingIndex)