** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rugby League: Four Nations 2010

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Just watched a re-run. Unlucky lahrio, those spreads looked superb at half-time. The Thaiday tackle of Tompkins 'in goal' was this sport at it's absolute finest. Going to be an awesome double-header between these two arch rivals. Just hope the rain stays away, to see what this plethora of talent can produce.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Agreed. Really looking forward to what these two heavyweights can come up with. Landed with that Australia bet but was pretty lucky to do so. England have been done up like kippers with some of these refereeing calls at key times in these two matches.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Got to take this one now. 5pts Papua New Guinea (+36) to beat England Evs Sportingbet There's no way this even money is going to be around come kick off. This handicap looks too big to me. Don't get me wrong I fully expect England to win the game but by more than 6 converted tries? Sorry not for me. If we were to look at mere facts we'll see that the form line through New Zealand actually shows that PNG put up more points against the Kiwis than what England did and I'm certain the Southern Hemisphere side will run up a few points here too. England's defensive line is a complete shambles. I understand the idea of playing everyone hence bringing Tony Clubb in but the bare fact is Sam Tomkins aside that set of backs is not good enough at international level. Ok fair enough we're missing Maguire and Eastwood and even Leon Pryce but even so it's not good enough. PNG will be physical. They'll have targetted this game right from the second the draw came out and they'll go full out at England for the 80 minutes. I expect a high scoring game here and something similar to the 32-22 we beat PNG by in the world cup would be no surprise. Let's not forget the Aussies only shoved 42pts on this lot so for England to win this by more than 36 is asking a lot of what is a very young side. It ain't happening for me so it's the biggest bet of the competition to date for me on PNG to stay within this 6 try head start. I'd expect the scoring to be something like 32-18 in that region so PNG with the start for me.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Like the cut of your jib kev. I'll put my play up when i get in later, but it might be in broken biscuit mode. Waiting on any weather news, been dodgy so far this tournament. Never seen so many average English backs get a look in at international level, but many of their opposites tomorrow, ply their trade at a level below their super league standard. Points and Burgess anytime are on the radar at the moment.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010

Like the cut of your jib kev. I'll put my play up when i get in later' date=' but it might be in broken biscuit mode. Waiting on any weather news, been dodgy so far this tournament. Never seen so many average English backs get a look in at international level, but many of their opposites tomorrow, ply their trade at a level below their super league standard. Points and Burgess anytime are on the radar at the moment.[/quote'] It's a beautiful day in Auckland, clear skies, light breeze. Heading for about 20 degrees. Hasn't been much rain in last week, pitch will be perfect. Off to the game in a few hours time

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 I know almost nothing about rugby - in fact I have only ever watched two games, PNG against Australia and Kiwis, so I'm not able to make a good judgement but I have found this bet PNG over 2.5 tries @2.25 bet365. In the second half against New Zealand they have played quite well when going forward so would like to ask your opinion if it is worth taking as the odds are better than HC or should I better stick to backing PNG win on handicap like you guys recommend?

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 One more for tomorrow. I won't be backing NZ next week as I'm already on at a shade over 3/1 so I'll have a go tomorrow. 3pts New Zealand to beat Australia 11/10 Skybet This is a dead rubber in name but there will be no softening on the field between these two arch rivals. New Zealand are going into this one at full strength despite the fact that next week's match is the main event. Australia have chosen to rest a few and they've got an injury to Luke Lewis too. Billy Slater and Darren Lockyer are among those rested by Tim Sheens. In the two matches so far Luke Lewis has looked Australia's best forward and his go forward has to be missed despite the quality of opponents. Lockyer and Slater are huge losses out of any side. New Zealand will want to lay a marker down ahead of the big one next week and there's no doubt Stephen Kearney will have his men up for this in front of a packed Eden Park. I've said all through this tournament that New Zealand are the likely winners of it and here they have a chance to prove their credentials. It's the home side for me in what has all the makings of a superb cracking game of rugby league in the build up to the decider next weekend.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 I am going to go with Australia tonight. NZ have strengthened considerably in recent years, but it is the depth of Australia that is the difference. Sure Lockyer and Slater are being rested, but look who is replacing them. The International player of the year in Todd Carney and the runner up for Dally M, Darius Boyd. For those who haven't seen Carney play before, some of his footwork is mesmerizing, and he can tear apart any defence on his day. NZ did win the World Cup final in 2008, but apart from that, they have really struggled against Australia. I am not sure of the exact statistic, but I think NZ have won 1 in the last 13 against Australia - that win being the World Cup final. Might have a flutter on the 13+ market as well because NZ are liable for a horror game every now and then and with this being a dead rubber, they may not be completely up for it. Sorry AJ! :tongue2 Australia @ 1.89 (Betfair) Australia HT/FT @ 2.8 (Betfair) Australia 13+ @ 4.33 (Bet365)

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Similarly to most of you, I will be taking the handicap on PNG. Firstly, this is a dead rubber, so I am not sure whether England will exactly turn up for it. Secondly, England have played pretty poorly all tournament, with their outside backs looking at times like they have never played together before. England also don't often put massive scores on opponents, often beating them comfortably but not covering this handicap. In the 2008 World Cup they beat PNG 32-22, and in last years Four Nations they beat France 34-12. PNG +36 @ 1.90 (Bet365)

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Agree with the previous comments :cheers Papua New Guinea +36.5 @ 1.90 centrebet England have made 7 changes to their side as they look to finish the 4 nations on a winning note. Centre Clubb and prop Carvell get their first start, while winger Hall, Brown, fullback Widdop and another prop Griffin are recalled due to injuries and indifferent form to Goulding, Tomkins, Atkins and Crabtree Paupa New Guined were smashed 76-14 by New Zealand, but this will be more to their liking, as they do like to play it very physical, which the Poms like to do as well. Their main problem has been their high mistake rate and if they can cut most of them out, and while England should still win, the margin should not be as high as the handicap Australia -3.5 @ 2.23 @ centrebet While Australia has some of their stars out, they still match up well with the Kiwis and expect these new players that have come in, looking to impress to get a start in the final next week. Plenty of quality there, and while NZ too has their share of good players, when the Kangaroos want to play, they can beat anybody, much like the All Blacks in rugby union. Battle at 5/8 will be a highlight, and like Carney here to edge out Marshall

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Australia -23.5 @ 4.85 centrebet Last week, a below strength Australian side went to New Zealand and pounded them, winning 34-20 and only because they relaxed in the end, that the scoreline was made to look a bit more for the Kiwis. The Kiwi's have a similar side for this game, while Australia gets Slater, Lockyer and few others back, as they place in the intimidating atmosphere of Suncorp Stadium. With memories of their last final against New Zealand where they lost in an upset, doubt that Australia will allow this to happen again, but see them pounding them once again, since we love beating the Kiwis's in any chance we get

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Just under even money for Australia - 8.5pts ? Yes please, I'll pile in to that. The difference in intensity between the two teams was huge last week and the Aussies aren't going to ease off in brisbane.

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Australia -23.5 @ 4.85 :@ Started off well and then stopped which allowed NZ back in the game. Couple of the tries were off forward passes but ref Archer was biased against the Australians. Too many soft penalties against them while the Kiwis got away with plenty of niggle in the ruck and play the ball

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Seriously you cannot be moaning about Tony Archers performance tonight ? I thought he was magnificent :beer. Didnt hear no Aussies moaning about the aforementioned Mr Archer a couple of weeks ago in Melbourne. Cracking Game and our English boys have a long way to match these two nations.

Seriously you cannot be moaning about Tony Archers performance tonight ? I thought he was magnificent :beer. Didnt hear no Aussies moaning about the aforementioned Mr Archer a couple of weeks ago in Melbourne. Cracking Game and our English boys have a long way to match these two nations.
Ref's & touch's must have decided that the rules had changed and forward passes were part of the game. WTF blind man could have seen the first NZ try was only one metre forward but the last try had to be three metres forward.

One outright for me. 3pts New Zealand to win Four Nations 16/5 Sportingbet I like New Zealand in this tournament. This is a two horse race for all the money in the world. England just aren't good enough and their choice of coach will baffle me until the day I die. And Papua New Guinea are just making up the numbers. So this will be an Australia & New Zealand final. So with that in mind 16/5 on the world champions is a wonderful price but it's an even better price when we consider Australia's huge injury problems. Losing the likes of Greg Inglis is a massive loss. Of course Australia have strength in depth in abundance but New Zealand are a solid outfit. And more importantly they are good in their own surroundings. Australia may well go into the final as favourites but I think New Zealand can upset them in that final and at bigger than 3/1, New Zealand definitely have to be the value call in a 4 horse race which only two are likely to be genuine contenders.
Bow down sir shat :notworthy All the more pleasing for the amount of doubters??

Re: Rugby League: Four Nations 2010 Whinging Aussies? Surely not? :rollin WD kevshat...superb mate. Never even contemplated locking in any profit did ya?! ....Balls of steel and duly rewarded. Kearney's done a sound job, and it's no coincidence the vast majority of the Kiwis ply their trade in the NRL. 12 ? years of SL now...mainly set up to challenge these guys in the long term. :$

Ref's & touch's must have decided that the rules had changed and forward passes were part of the game. WTF blind man could have seen the first NZ try was only one metre forward but the last try had to be three metres forward.
I imagine the same blind man could've seen the foot in touch for Australia's 1st try and the forward pass which disected a white line when England were coming back at the Aussies in Melbourne 2 weeks ago ;).