Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary

Torque

This is my first post on what I think is a really great forum. I've been struck by the warm, friendly, community spirit that runs through a number of the threads that I have read. Before I start, I'd like to doff my cap to Atko, Palaceman, Grex, Ebor and Iamgooner, forum members whose posts I have particularly enjoyed reading. I also think that any forum member prepared to take the time to share selections and strategies and to give help and advice to others should be commended. The aim of this thread is to (hopefully) generate a slow, steady profit over time. I ran something similar to this earlier in the year, and it returned in excess of 200 points profit. I will be looking to back short odds favourites in both football and tennis. I believe that even at short odds it is possible to find value, provided that you research each bet. I am planning to place one bet per day, but on some days I may place more than one bet or no bets at all. I will be staking to return 1% of my bank high. This is quite an aggressive strategy, but I think it works quite well when betting at short odds. Also, the money I will be using is money that I am quite prepared to lose (although hopefully this will not happen!). All comments and feedback are welcome. First selection to follow. Wish me luck! :hope

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 1 Selection 1: Spanish Primera Division - REAL MADRID v deportivo Odds: 1.18 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 65.20pts Real will name a strong side in this match, against a team that has not won away for several months. Ronaldo, Higuain, Ozil and Di Maria will hopefully be on song tonight so that this thread can make a positive start.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 2 Selection 2: Ryder Cup - EUROPE v usa Odds: 1.24 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 48.90pts Europe head into the final day's play holding a 9.5-6.5 lead over the United States. Looking at the final day singles, from which Europe need 5 points to win the Ryder Cup, I think the chances of 5 wins look good. Also, there are several matches where at least a half looks likely. (Although my opening post mentioned football and tennis bets, I will sometimes bet on other sports such as golf, darts and snooker. The majority of my bets, though, will be on football and tennis).

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Selection 3: China Open - JANKOVIC v jovanovski Odds: 1.25 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 46.94pts Jankovic seems to go well here, finishing runner-up in 2007 and winning the title in 2008. Last year she was knocked out in the 2nd round by Shuai Peng, who had home advantage. This is a Premier Series event, so hopefully Jankovic will want to do well. Her game seems to match up well with her opponent, as they met in similar conditions earlier this year and Jankovic won in straight sets.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 3 Selection 4: China Open - MURRAY v mathieu Odds: 1.17 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 69.03pts Murray plays his first tournament since the US Open, and will hopefully be looking to build some momentum ahead of the Shanghai Masters and leading up to the Tour Finals. His record against Mathieu is excellent, and he should be good for the win here.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Selection 5: China Open - SCHIAVONE v hercog Odds: 1.20 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 58.68pts Schiavone is in good recent form, going deep in both the US Open and the Toray Pan Pacific Open. She beat Hercog last year on clay, which is Hercog's best surface. Schiavone should have too much experience and guile for her younger opponent, and she should be motivated to do well with the Tour Finals not too far away.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 4 Selection 6: China Open - DJOKOVIC v fish Odds: 1.28 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 41.92pts Djokovic seems to enjoy conditions in Beijing, and is defending his title from last year. He has issued a challenge to Andy Murray to meet him in this year's final, so he appears motivated to do well. He has points to defend, and like Murray, will hopefully be looking to build up a head of steam prior to the Tour Finals. He has a great record against Fish, beating him most recently on his own patch at the US Open last month in straight sets.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 5 Selection 7: China Open - LI NA v kerber Odds: 1.20 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 58.68pts Li Na has shown some good form so far this week, beating recent WTA Tour title winners Kudryavtseva and Kleybanova in straight sets. She has home advantage so should be motivated to go further, and is facing an opponent that she has already beaten this year.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 6 Selection 8: China Open - DJOKOVIC v simon Odds: 1.26 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 45.14pts Going for Djokovic again here, and for the same reasons cited in selection 6. In addition, getting a walkover in his last match against Fish means Djokovic has had an extra day of rest, compared to Simon who came through a gruelling match against Berrer. Djokovic also has a good record against Simon, and beat him last year at the Shanghai Masters in similar conditions.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 7 Selection 9: English League One - SOUTHAMPTON v tranmere Odds: 1.44 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 26.68pts Southampton have started to build some momentum in recent weeks, which has helped them to recover from a sluggish start to the season. Their new manager knows what is required to get out of this division, and they look set to continue climbing the table. They will have virtually a full squad to choose from for this match, with only a couple of players away on international duty. In Lambert, they have a striker who is one of the most prolific at this level, and they also have a solid defence which has let in very few goals in recent games. Tranmere will be missing the experienced defender Goodison (suspended), who has played in every league game so far this season. He is vital to the way they play, both in terms of defensive stability and also as an attacking threat at corners and free-kicks. Southampton should be too strong for Tranmere, and will hopefully continue their good recent form.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 8 Selection 10: Japan Open - NADAL v monfils Odds: 1.34 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 34.52pts Nadal has battled hard to reach this stage of the tournament and has not shown his best form so far, being pushed all the way in his last match and having to save match points. He has, however, shown plenty of fighting spirit and determination, and now that he is in the final he should come into his own. Nadal has won over 40 ATP Tour titles, which shows that when he reaches a final he knows how to get the job done. He has an excellent record against Monfils, a player who is not the most reliable and who lacks consistency in his play. Nadal should have too much for Monfils, and should prevail here.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 9 Selection 11: Shanghai Masters - GARCIA-LOPEZ v schwank Odds: 1.31 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 37.86pts Garcia-Lopez heads into the penultimate Masters tournament of the season in good form, and recently won the first hardcourt title of his career at the Thailand Open, beating Nadal along the way. He backed that up last week with a solid showing at the Japan Open, reaching the quarter-finals. He should be full of confidence, and will hopefully be motivated to make an impression at Masters level. He faces an opponent in Schwank who is not in form, and who prefers slower surfaces like clay.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 10 Selection 12: Japan Open - DATE KRUMM v robson Odds: 1.33 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 35.63pts Date Krumm has shown some good form so far during the Asian hardcourt swing, beating the likes of Pavlyuchenkova, Sharapova and Hantuchova. She will have home advantage this week, and should be keen to progress. She faces a young opponent in Robson, who has little experience at this level. Robson lost the last time she faced an experienced player, going down in her last WTA main draw appearance against Arn last month. Conditions should also favour Date Krumm, as Robson retired at an ITF event in Tokyo last week, citing dehydration due to heat.

Re: Short Odds Glory Hunt Diary Day 11 Selection 13: Shanghai Masters - FEDERER v isner Odds: 1.17 Betfair Bank High: 1,117.15pts Stake: 69.15pts Federer plays his first tournament since the US Open, and should be motivated to do well with the Tour Finals not too far away. This is especially the case given that he is very selective about the tournaments he plays, and as such he normally raises his game for Masters events. He has played Isner before and beaten him, and whilst Federer is rested ahead of this match, Isner is not. He played a long, tough match yesterday against Kubot and was almost knocked out. Isner saved multiple match points against an opponent that he was expected to beat with relative ease, and he could be fatigued as a result.