** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rugby Union - French Top14 - 3rd Round

The matches have been coming thick and fast and we are on to round 3 already.

Before I start with my tips remember in French Rugby the golden rule is Home advantage counts for everything and all home teams won comfortably in round 2 except Biarritz and Bourgoin

Clermont Auvergne have been playing outstanding attacking rugby in the first 2 games and Biarritz met a Toulon team stung by their defeat at home in round 1.

-11.5 Toulon (6th) vs Racing-Métro 92 (12th) +11.5 Toulon win

With Johnny Wilkinson fit and firing there should only be one result in this game.The 2 star studded teamns meet but its usually their togetherness that determines who wins and last weeks backs to the wall win at barritz by the home team will do a lot for motivation and confidence. Their opening day home defeat by Bayonne brought an effective response at Biarritz last weekend - where they won for the first time in 29 years

I cant see Racing going home with the points and although star player Argentine playmaker Juan Hernández may make his debut in the second half I feel the visitors coach has an eye on upcoming home games after this their 3rd successive away game.

-13.5 Perpignan (10th) vs Montpellier (5th) +13.5 Perpignan win

Don’t concern yourself with the injury problems Perpignan may have, I see nothing other than a home win here.I always prefer teams aware of their shortcomings as they normally over conpensate and get the job done.

Remember, this is a Perpignan side which won all of its home league games last season, and started off this campaign with a home triumph over reigning French champions Clermont Auvergne.

Montpellier are notoriously poor travelers and the fact that the home team lost last week is enough motivation.

The handicap is a touch high so I will let you decide but the home win is certain.

-19.5 Clermont Auvergne (7th) vs Brive (4th) +19.5 Clermont win

Another straight forward game given Brive's record at derby rivals Clermont Auvergne in recent seasons is nothing short of disastrous.

The only problem is the home team may be over confident as they meet a Brive team that had a good win in round 2.

Clermont have too many in form players and the new players have bedded in smoothly and I suspect Brive will opt to concentrate on their forthcoming games at Bayonne and at home to Toulon instead.

-10.5 Castres (8th) vs Bayonne (2nd) +10.5 Castres win

Castres won an error strewn match in round 2 and I doubt it is as clear cut as the bookies would have us believe. granted Bayonne beat a dreadful Agen side but it could be a lot closer than the bookies have it. I suggest you stay away but the Castres rarely lose at the Stade Pierre Antoine, and now have Romain 'Robocop' Teulet back in harness to kick their goals.

I expect them to win especially now that they are aware how dangerous their opponents are however the+10.5 handicap for Bayonne does need another look.

+2.5 SU Agen (14th) vs Biarritz (9th) -2.5 close call

Agen, last season's ProD2 champions, are at home for the first time since promotion as they host Biarritz.Biarritz lost to Toulon at home for the first time in 25 years as they couldn’t find a way past a resolute Toulon defence.I expect them to come back with a performance that shows hunger and determination to get over the round 2 defeat however the turmoil surrounding the club at the moment doesn’t bode well for a team that will be facing a side desperate win. It will be close as the bookies have called it and although people believe Agen has the quality to stay up their porouis defence does need a major over haul.Im staying away from this one.

-2.5 La Rochelle (11th) vs Bourgoin (13th) +2.5 La Rochelle win

Newcomers La Rochelle entertain a struggling Bourgoin side that has failed to register a single point so far. The new comers have forthcoming games against Toulon, Toulouse and Biarritz and this match probably represents their best chance of victory No 2 over the coming weeks. Bourgoin arrive with mounting injury problems and as these sides will expect to scrap for points to stay up this game presents the best chance to put points on the board.

The home team are fairly attacking and because I expect them to win they will go past the handicap easily.

-10.5 Stade Toulousain (3rd) vs Stade Francais (1st) +10.5 Stade Toulousain win

Stade Francais are a quality team but they meet a Toulouse side that lost in round 2 and as if they don’t need enough motivation they meet their Parisan rivals.I always bet on highly motivated teams and the home team represents value. The Francais coach has left a few star players on the bench with a hectic schedule coming up so expect a close encounter where the visitors will look to contain and attack in the second half.The home team should edge it but the handicap is by no ,means certain.

Too many obvious games Im worried where the shock may come from. Guys help pick out an upset among these fixtures.:ok

Sorry no odds, I just do analysis, can someone append the best odds for me.:dude

Re: Rugby Union - French Top14 - 3rd Round hey french rugby fan :welcome IMO best choice for me is Perpignan Handicap .They are unbeatable at home and see Mointpellier focus clearly on reception of Toulouse in 3 day

05/12/2009 France - Top 14 Perpignan vs. Montpellier 29:3
28/02/2009 France - Top 14 Perpignan vs. Montpellier 50:13
15/03/2008 France - Top 14 Perpignan vs. Montpellier 27:6
26/05/2007 France - Top 14 Perpignan vs. Montpellier 14:9
29/04/2006 France - Top 14 Perpignan vs. Montpellier 42:20
only 1 of them finish by a little win but was last match of season and Montpellier played relegation zone... Clermont could be a good shoot too see them vs Bourgoin play last 10min of the match and score 3 try .1st home match of season ,generally trash result in H2H will wait starting XV to make a decision here

Re: Rugby Union - French Top14 - 3rd Round Bonjour, fellow Top 14 Rugby fans! Great post B10111, I agree with your thoughts on the Toulon v Racing game. Toulon have all their big names playing and this should prove too much for Racing. Also Racing have relied on getting off to a good start in their previous games and I do not believe they will be allowed this luxury against Toulon! Toulon points difference 11-15 5/1 with Paddy Power

Re: Rugby Union - French Top14 - 3rd Round Here's my picks for this weekends Top 14. Toulon -10 Biarritz scr Toulouse -11 La Rochelle -2 Toulon have been talked about already. Biarritz-lots of internal problems, the forwards coach resigned, then came back but it is written that he has the full support of the playing staff and Serge Blanco! Their opponents Agen were last seasons D2 champions but there is a huge difference in class between the two divisions, as there is in the premiership. They did score 24 points against Toulouse, but 14 of those points were scored when it was 44-10, so you could argue Toulouse were already in the showers! This game should be close but Biarritz should have the skill & wisdom to see them through. Could also be a low scoring game-maybe under 25 points. Toulouse v Stade should be a massive party! But unfortunately we are not sure if Stade have RSVP. They are sending their second string, who could prove to be anything and so this should prove an easy win for the Toulousain. La Rochelle came into the Top 14 from D2, this season and have surprised in their opening two games. A strong performance against Castres and good show in Paris against Stade put them as favorites at home against a Bourgoin side who have suffered two heavy defeats already! Bonne Chance Mes Amis!!!

Re: Rugby Union - French Top14 - 3rd Round Bloody Sport, Toulon choke again, they are not yet fluent enough but I thought last weeks win would lift them.glad it happened yesterday. My picks today are perigan, Clermont and Toulouse, all outright.

Re: Rugby Union - French Top14 - 3rd Round I agree, Toulon for me look average! Mr Wilkinson has now become very robotic and only his penalty kicks kept the score close. Toulon just did not create enough attacking options, has Mr. St Andre created a french Sale, a team that can be brilliant but also unpredictable!