** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Was this the right play?

Kirkie

I was playing on a NLl$0.50/$1.00 cash table at betfair last night for only the 2nd time. I'm last to bet pre-flop (3 others in) but just call with TT maybe should have raised to get rid of the marginal hands. Flop comes 5c Qh Ts, 1st punter bets $5, 2 others fold, now I reckon he at best has 2Q's or he's bluffing so I re-raise to $10, he calls. Turn is 8d and he bets $5, so I reckon my 3T's are pretty strong but if he has 9 J I'm fcuk'd, but I re-raise $10 anyway and he calls. River is nothing and he checks so I bet $9, his remaining balance and he calls. I win the pot as he has 2 pairs T's & 8's. For you guys that have been playing poker for a lot longer than me did I play this right? would you have played it any different? Sorry, another question, I generally tend to try and play tight aggressive on these tables is that the irght way to go? Cheers

Re: Was this the right play? Hi Kirkie, The way you played this hand seems fine to me. With TT you are almost always looking to flop a set to make any serious money, it cant take down a large pot without it. For this reason on a CASH table I would have played it exactly like you did and just limped looking for the trips. In a tournament when the blinds were large in comparison to my stack I would raise every time with this hand. Betting your hand the way you did was exactly right, the poor player called with a weaker hand and paid you off and you also correctly identified the hand that could be out there to beat you (J9) and bet/raised your trips hard to make him pay for the draw if he had it. Tight aggressive is definately the best way forward on these tables - I have played on them a lot in the past as well. Whats your nick on them kirkie I will say hi the next time we are playing together ;) Jez

Re: Was this the right play? Thanks Jez, Im still new to the game so occasionally have doubts about the way I play certain hands. My username is the same as on here, what about you? Although if I see you on a table I might just watch rather than play !

Re: Was this the right play? Hi Kirkie, I pretty much agree with what Jezza is saying here. I thought this was going to be a bad beat story for a minute when you said that the turn was an 8 (and I was thinking straight away J, 9). Anyhow you spotted that so fair play. The only thing I might do differently (all depending on who I am playing) is I might raise preflop. I would do this in tourneys (as Jez said) or if I'm playing people who I consider to be tight and weak. If I get called by a 'tight weak' player and the flop comes out with a A or a K I might fold if raised again. Apart from those times I would play it the same way as you.