** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Newcastle 26 June

Northumberland Plate Ok I'm clearly not alone in thinking this, but it has to be Overturn surely? I had the pleasure of taking in all 3 of his recent races at Ayr (although only the Champion Hurdle actually warranted that description). This horse has become a front-running machine. The weight probably just caught up with him when finishing 2nd last time out (he was 18lbs worse off against the winner - who also had a 7lb claimer on board - than in the Champion Hurdle), but he won't have that problem at Newcastle. What I've also observed is that he's not even that fluent a hurdler - indeed he hit a few quite hard. More than anything, it was his flat speed which was winning him those races. Newcastle's not a wholly dissimilar track to Ayr - both left-handed, long run in, although is perhaps a bit more challenging. If he runs, Overturn has to be Saturday's nap for me (and for the traders out there, probably one to back to lay).

Re: Newcastle 26 June I was keen on this one but it will be difficult to gain a front-running position after being drawn in the car park (21 of 21). The draw is really important in this race, even over 2 miles. May still be able to win but I'll skip the race now.

Re: Newcastle 26 June 3.05 Newcastle (Saturday) The Northumberland Plate is one of the finest staying handicaps of the year and plenty of the usual suspects are set to contest this years race too. A couple of hurdlers returning to the flat make appeal off potentially lenient marks - Overturn perhaps the pick of them, but Mamlook is another that may have more improvement in him despite a rise in the weights for his latest success. Deauville Flyer is unexposed over the trip and made a favourable impression when winning at York when last seen, but at the prices, I think stablemate CRACKENTORP is the better bet. I've long felt this is a horse that would win a heritage handicap this season, advising him on his reappearance at Catterick. He never landed a blow that day but has since started to come into himself and he made eyecatching headway for us at York when behind Hanoverian Baron, despite having masses of ground to make up in the straight. He looks handicapped to win races and should get this trip. The other one I want onside is Brian Meehans AAIM TO PROSPER. The defection of the injured Cosmic Sun has seen him slip into the race this morning, and he looks as if he is coming to hand judging on his recent placing in behind Junior. He has proven stamina over this sort of trip and is another that may find another race off his present mark. Advised bets: Crackentorp 14/1 William Hill, 0.75 pt each-way (4 places, 1/4 odds) Aaim To Prosper 20/1 Bet 365, 0.5 pt win

Re: Newcastle 26 June 3:05 Newcastle: Desert Sea 2pts win 1pt place 14/1 Coral Desert Sea is seven however he has relatively few miles on the clock and has not seen the course since finishing sixth in the Chester Cup. He goes well fresh and with a low draw could be in the shake up. Desert Sea is down two pounds from Chester and Neil Callan takes over in the plate. Neil Callan has an excellent record for the yard with a record of 5 from 11, which improves to 5 from 8 on older horses with over 22 points Lsp. Looking at David Arbuthnot's record he does well with his staying types with a 23% strike rate over the past five years. The jockey and trainer combined for the yards only winner in the past two weeks.

Re: Newcastle 26 June 3.05 Newcastle Charlie Swan runners are expected to run well but the stable's main hope is RAJIK (16/1) who never really got in the race and looked to not stay the trip in the Ascot Stakes last week. Rajik has won over 1 mile 4 furlongs and 2 miles which should ensure that he has no problem as he has that little bit of speed that may be required in the last few furlongs should the pace slow up inside the last mile. Only had a few runs since a lengthy break and is now in peak condition for this race. 10 Pts E/W Bet365

Re: Newcastle 26 June 2:30 Newcastle: Bond Fastrac 2pts win 1pt place 25/1 Paddy Power Bond Fastrac is a three year old taking on his elders here. He might just be worth chancing dropping back to six furlongs. His two runs this season over a furlong further have not seen him at his best. However, looking back at his two year old career, he won well in a maiden at Redcar beating Elusive Sue before running second in a two year old handicap at York ahead of Swilly Ferry in third, that form now looks quite useful. On his final start of 2009 he was only beaten two lengths behind the then 101 rated Angel's Pursuit when not getting a clear run. He is dropped two pounds to 88 today and goes on the prevailing going.

Re: Newcastle 26 June

Northumberland Plate Ok I'm clearly not alone in thinking this, but it has to be Overturn surely? I had the pleasure of taking in all 3 of his recent races at Ayr (although only the Champion Hurdle actually warranted that description). This horse has become a front-running machine. The weight probably just caught up with him when finishing 2nd last time out (he was 18lbs worse off against the winner - who also had a 7lb claimer on board - than in the Champion Hurdle), but he won't have that problem at Newcastle. What I've also observed is that he's not even that fluent a hurdler - indeed he hit a few quite hard. More than anything, it was his flat speed which was winning him those races. Newcastle's not a wholly dissimilar track to Ayr - both left-handed, long run in, although is perhaps a bit more challenging. If he runs, Overturn has to be Saturday's nap for me (and for the traders out there, probably one to back to lay).
Its in with a great chance, best of luck.

Re: Newcastle 26 June 2.30 Newcastle Johnny Mudball is a useful prospect and ran a fantastic race in defeat 2 weeks ago when reverting back to front running ways, he made all to win on the AW and I would love to see them push on again with him, he is up another 1lb and the tongue tie remains on which appears to have helped his form recently and still remains capable of better! 0.5pt e/w johnny mudball 11/2 vcbet 3.05 Newcastle A strong looking renewal of this very rich handicap, Deauville flyer gets into this off a featherweght having run out an impressive winner in a weakish looking staying handicap at york, he is very reliable and consistent with 14 runs with 4 wins and 1 2nd and 3 3rds and clearly progressing and looks the most unexposed in this field. The other one I like is the Chester Cup winner who was a real battler to win that race and you can see he throws everything into his races with a fantastic attitude up 4lb for that effort but no reason he wont be on the premises again, hasnt stood much racing on fast ground is the main concern but has finished 2nd on fast ground before. 0.5pt win deauville flyer 7/2 sj 0.25pt e/w mamlook 10/1 bet365 3.40 Newcastle Camerooney may be worth taking on after a real tough race at Carlisle this week, he comfortably beat the field including the useful looking Major Phil but this could come too soon. Hajoum bounced straight back to form when 4th in buckingham palace stakes at ascot last week and running off just a 1lb higher mark he could be hard to beat again with fast ground to suit. Black Dahlia is also worthy of small interest she made into a useful prospect on the AW over the winter with a good 2nd in a listed event but below form last 2 starts and now 15lb higher than last handicap win but her record fresh is quite interesting, form 60+ days lay off: 2323 and looks a big price, turf form well below that of her AW form but that improvement came about this winter and she hasnt raced on turf since so she cant be dismissed for that reason. 0.5pt win hajoum 4/1 sj 0.25pt e/w black dahlia 25/1 vcbet 4.45 Newcastle This race has cut up quite badly due to several non runners but currently 9 still go to post so E/W claims, and the Galloping Shoe was a horse I followed last year and became very frustrating his form took a nose dive and continued this year until last time out when a solid 3rd, quickly up 3lb but still well handicapped on the form he showed at start of last season and Sanders booked a bold run can be expected and it is currently priced up anything from 2/1 to 7/1 SJ!! 0.5pt e/w the galloping shoe 7/1 sj

Re: Newcastle 26 June 2:30 Newcastle - Poet's Place - 3pts @ 4/1 (Bet365 - BOG) Son of a former group performer who was 4th in a Group 1 and placed in Group 2 and Group 3 races. Won first two starts by 4l including a handicap last time out on the AW at Lingfield where The Barron has a great record. Ran well last time out on turf debut coming 5th, 2 1/2 lengths behind the winner. Probably would of won that race had he not met trouble along the way, He showed plenty of speed in the final furlong and if getting a clear run today he can go alot closer than last time and prove his undoubted ability. He's the only horse sent out by David Barron today and could go on to be a very classy individual, Unexposed, With only 3 runs to date despite being a 5 year old and has plenty of scope for improvement. Should put in a bold bid in what looks a slightly easier task than last time out. Phillip Makin takes the ride and he's a very good sprint jockey in my opinion and he was on board on Poet's Place's only two races so far, So he should hopefully know how to get the most out of him. He and The Barron have been in good form in the last couple of months and with a bit of luck in running I think they could add to the tally. Depending on how the market goes tomorrow I might go back in for some more if there's a decent move as there usually is with Barron's fancied horses, Should have a good chance regardless.

Re: Newcastle 26 June DEAUVILLE FLYER 3.05 Newcastle. Lay. Done nothing wrong, but I think the 5lb penalty just gives him that little bit too much to find if certain others run their races. Plenty in with a chance at the weights, so let's hope a few can find their best form. Has to be opposed at anything under 11/2, so at around 10/3 is a lay, irrespective of the end result.

:clap Great Call:clap

Well done Al, should never have doubted you. Great ride by Eddie Ahern.

Re: Newcastle 26 June Thanks lads - just back from the Curragh today (may post a wee trip report shortly). Had a couple of winners there, but watching this one come in made the weekend from a punting point of view. As soon as Ahearn got him to the front (great riding btw), it was never in doubt :)