** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Crazy College Gamble

ofcourseitwas

Hello all, I am a 24 year-old American college student studying abroad in northern Germany. Rather than return home in 2 months, I will take a big risk to pursue my dream of living in Europe... I will track my progress both here and on my blog at www.collegegamble.blogspot.com The Gamble As an adamant football (soccer) supporter, I have been betting on matches for several years. I recently developed an algorithm for choosing which teams to back. I am reasonably confident in its accuracy and will attempt to make enough profit every month to fund an independent lifestyle as I explore Europe (living out of hotel rooms). As of May 2010 my apartment lease in Germany will be up! In hopes of keeping my dream alive I recently made two investments: 1. 8,000$ bankroll (on credit) to bet over the next 2 months. 2. An 800$ return flight should I lose it all. I will either be successful in my pursuit or return home emptyhanded. THERE WILL BE THOSE WHO CALL THIS FOOLISH. BUT TO THEM I SAY... YOU ARE ONLY YOUNG ONCE! Bet Structure With a bankroll of 8,000$, I have deposited into several bookmakers. Some funds have been reserved if better odds are available through another bookmaker. Selections will be on either back or lay, and the odds will be on average around 1.15-1.20 I will bet 10% of the current bank on each selection.* *I changed the bet structure to 10% after the 3rd bet to make this easier to follow.

Re: The Crazy College Gamble

'fortune favors the brave'.
Yes quite true... but some would say it's a little foolish maxing out credit cards to fund your betting. You say you have a decent job to pay back the money, but what you are forgetting is the interest. If this goes tits up, your going to be paying back $8,000 for a long long time!

Yes quite true... but some would say it's a little foolish maxing out credit cards to fund your betting. You say you have a decent job to pay back the money, but what you are forgetting is the interest. If this goes tits up, your going to be paying back $8,000 for a long long time!
I am well aware. It is not the wisest choice. Many would even say 'this is whats wrong with Americans'. But i really do have a good job and could pay it off within a year... but I know it's crazy....hence the thread's title! you're only young once....

thanks jazz. I appreciate the support :) First bet placed for tomorrow: Game: Notts County vs Macclesfield Odds: 1.17 (Paddy Power) Stake: 800$ Potential Profit: 136$
Whats the bet ? Good luck with this ... however brave or stupid it may be :loon

Whats the bet ? Good luck with this ... however brave or stupid it may be :loon
lol forgot that part! and people please stop telling me what I already know. It is obviously an incredibly risky venture. Anyways, here's the bet: First bet placed for tomorrow: Game: Notts County vs Macclesfield Pick: back Notts County (Draw no Bet) Odds: 1.17 (Paddy Power) Stake: 800$ Potential Profit: 136$

Re: The Crazy College Gamble I'm not a fan of backing at low odds because you need a lot of winners to counter-act a potential loser or two. I also don't agree with credit culture and people borrowing money which isn't need. That being said I still look forward to following your progress, I'm sure it be entertaining which ever way it turns out. Best of luck. :)

Yea I find that when I try viewing it in Safari.. but in firefox its fine??
I know! I've had to give up trying to post spreadsheets because Internet Explorer will only show the first post. It works fine with Firefox. Anyone know who I can ask to get this fixed?