** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Tennis - 1-7 February

Jurgen Melzer (Zagreb, vs Brands) x Viktor Troicki (Zagreb, vs Schuettler): Double at 1.77 Melzer comes into the tournament on some pretty sketchy form, but I think he'll have enough to beat Daniel Brands. The Austrian is by no means at his most comfortable indoors but Brands, who is essentially a clay court player and has posted some poor showings on a hard court, is worse. Melzer, when his game clicks, can out-gun anybody and his big forehand and serve will be too much for the German. Troicki faces a better German in Rainer Schuettler, but the Serb made the semi-finals here last year and has too much power and stamina for his ageing opponent. Schuettler, even early last year, was a decent player, but his star is waning and I can see Troicki taking this. Bet strength: 4pts Zagreb - Simone Bolelli vs Illya Marchenko: Bolelli at 2.00 Bolelli has found wins tough to come by of late, but all of his opponents have been of a better quality than Marchenko. The Italian has the ability but sometimes struggles mentally. I have no doubt, however, that he'll be looking at this match and seeing it as very winnable. The Italian made the semi-finals here in 2008 and does prefer hard courts. He has a decent array of groundstrokes and has the power and accuracy to rise above Marchenko. The Ukranian won a number of matches indoors on the Challenger circuit at the tail end of last year and had a decent run in St Petersburg - however, he's yet to face someone with the ability of Bolelli. I can understand why Bolelli is such a big price in many ways, yet I still feel it represents good value on the better player in this tie. It all depends whether Bolelli can believe in himself in terms of getting a win. I feel he will do. Bet strength: 3pts Zagreb - Mikhail Kukushkin vs Mischa Zverev: Zverev at 2.10 Zverev is a little similar to Bolelli in terms of him having a bad time of things recently. He's suffered from injury and loss of confidence, yet he returns to hardcourts indoors, which he says is his best surface. He made the quarter-finals here last year, taking out Andreas Seppi and Victor Hanescu on the way, There is no doubt he can produce performances. Kukushkin is another who plays well indoors but he is still graduating to Tour level. He's got a nice backhand and has an unbeaten record against left-handed players, but I still think if Zverev plays to his potential, he'll have too much for the Kazakh. The German has ranking points to defend, so I feel he'll be keen to put in a performance here. Bet strength: 3pts Johannesburg - Blaz Kavcic vs Thierry Ascione: Ascione at 2.20 This is a match that could go either way to be honest. Kavcic is predominantly a clay court players - most of his good Challenger matches have come on that surface - and the plexicushion surface here could be too fast for him. In saying that, Ascione prefers a faster hard court, although I still think he'll be happier on the surface than the Slovenian. The 29-year-old has been around the block a few times and knows how to win matches at this level. He'll see it as a good chance to earn some cash. I'd have the odds reversed here, and I do feel deep down that Ascione will win. Small stakes as we're dealing with two poor players in the grand scheme of things, but at the price it's worth a small punt. Bet strength: 1pt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February yeah....i like your tips i must say atko!! zverev is very tempting at 11-10 but he's just so hard to trust right now!!but i still caqnt resist!i like lacko at 4-5 to beat istomin! i just think he'll be really up for this tournament! bolleli is tempting at evens also! i have to say i really like dolgopolov at 4-6 with boyles!!! i wouldn't be backing kavcic against ascione though!as for troiki melzer double......i really fancy troiki to win but am a little weary of melzer and his motivation!! but overall,i like those bets!!

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February

Sport Tennis
Event Mikhail Kukushkin - Mischa Zverev
Selection 1
Strength 10/10
Date 31/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 1.76 (Back)
Reasoning Kukushkin played a lot lately on I_Hard surface, and beat some solid players like Koubek,Ančić, Bohli... Before that, in 2009. he won Sluiter, Cuevas, Fognini, Odesnik... In normal conditions though he wouldn't be set as a favourite but there are rumours saying that Zverev is still carying injury. Also he has horrible record on only one win in last 13 games he played. I took this bet at bwin, who has 1 ball rule, in case of an early retirement by the German. GL.

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Kukshkin -2 tb. Zverev $1.85 Pinnacle The price is going down on Kukushkin, there was some good value on him at 1.85 how it was when Pinnacle released the odds, now only 1.71 for ml - the value has gone but i found a bit hard informations about Zverev's injury, looks like his right hand is still suffering. Zverev is the better player here, i agree with that, but with lately form and a injury also you cannot trust him, even though he is more quality player. Kukushkin is good challenger player with game that suits well the indoor game, he has made some big surprises in tournaments played indoor, was semifinalist in Moscow losing to Youzhny last year and he is constantly getting good results in challengers. He looked ok last week in Heilbronn, has beaten Ancic, of course the Croat is not at his best but still a good victory for Kukushkin, and definetly he can beat Zverev who's level of play is poor, -2 shouldn't be a problem for Kukushkin to cover.

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Considering another good play for today: Dodig +4 tb. Korolev $1.80 Pinnacle After AO we have some small tournaments made to be some surprises, and last yeah have been a lot here in Zagreb. Dodig was quarterfinalist here last year producing some big surprises, passed the qualies and has beaten Andreev and Gulbis in first two rounds (he was priced over 8.50 in both matches) and won, but then he lost to Ancic. The same did the other guy of Croatia, Veic who has beaten Canas, Korolev and lost to Cilic in QF. Surely Korolev is by far the better player, but this doesn't count too much imo with current conditions, Korolev had good run at AO and i doubt he will focus a lot on this tournament, Dodig with bigger motivation. I don't know if the Croat will win, but i can't back Korolev with such short odds, so going to give Dodig a chance with +4. Should be enough imo. Good luck:dude

Sport Tennis
Event Ivan Dodig - Evgeny Korolev
Selection 1
Strength 10/10
Date 01/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Unibet @ 3.40 (Back)
Reasoning Fully agree with bet on Dodig. This tournament became well known for solid players getting kicked out from local mediocre players in first two rounds. Korolev had a nice tournament in AO, he even played quite well against Gonzo where match could have gone either way. Dodig kicked out Ferrero and got eliminated by Koubek later in straight sets. Last season in Zagreb he defeated Koubek, Andreev and Gulbis, players way above his level of tennis, so why not expect the same today.
Sport Tennis
Event Igor Kunitsyn - Olivier Rochus
Selection 2
Strength 10/10
Date 01/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price 5Dimes @ 1.71 (Back)
Reasoning I'm a bit too late with this bet cause we could catch it at 1,80 at some bookies few hours ago... Anyway, i noticed that Kunitsyn oftenly struggles against players of Rochus' type. They played once at USO last year where Rochus lost only 5 games in 3 sets. Overall, i consider Rochus as much better player, even on this surface which is btw faster than last year in Zagreb. Despite that, Rochus should win this.

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Bolelli-Marchenko Pick: Bolelli to win Odds: 1.95 in Pinnacle Stake: 10/10 Bolelli have better position in ATP rank, in last year have 36 position, but in this moment have only 98 position. Bolelli have very good skills(great serve), but must take form. Bolelli lost 10 matches in a row, but play with great players like Mayer, Stepanek, Federer, Almagro, Simon, Beck, Korolev and in this year with Nadal and Gicquel(unlucky match, 2 TB) - all players are better than Marchenko. Bolelli in 2008 go to Semifinal in Zagreb. Marchenko have 119 position(the best in career), but Marchenko not show Bolelli level, this is typical challenger player. In this year won only against players out of TOP 230. Have 2 losts against Bhambri(335) 2-0 and against Davydenko 3-0. This is debut for Marchenko in Zagreb. I see Bolelli win, this odds have value!

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Zagreb Outright IVAN LJUBICIC 7/1 E/W SKYBET Ljubicic has resurrected he's carrer in last few months since Autumn, was outside the top 50, now pushing on the top 20 once again. For those efforts he has been handed the 2nd seed here. Should pass Clement in first round as Ivan has won their last 8 meetings, he won tournament late last year in tennis season on indoor hard which he loves playing on, Cilic & Karlovic seem the main threats but they are in the 1st quarter of the draw so Ljubicic avoids them until the final, will Cilic be tired after Aussie Open efforts, if so Ljubicic must have great chance of landing another indoor title.

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Nieminen x Troicki Double @ 1.86 Nieminen vs Lu.....Lu worth opposing here I think. Unfortunately I backed him versus Louk Sorenson in the AO, he was terrible and has started the year poorly I think. Courts in SA might suit Nieminen here, think he could be a bad match-up for Lu. Troicki vs Schuettler....Troicki is usually reliable at short odds against worse ranked players. Very bad defeat to F.Mayer on AO, maybe some tiredness. Started the year well, semi's in Doha losing to Nadal and Baghdatis in Sydney. Can struggle when his oppenent has some weapons, don't think Schuettler does anymore. Koellerer to win set off Golubev @ Evens Worth a go here. Decent price. Golubev just coming off a final loss in German Challenger event, maybe question marks about motivation here. And will have small punt on...... Koellerer to beat Golubev @ 5/2 Why not? Usually some shocks in these tournaments at early stages. Golubev is an OK player, fairly solid when he's on. But courts will be very quick, Koellerer has some variety in his game. Maybe chances to unsettle Golubev here. Small stakes. GL!...hopefullly no match-fixing...;)

Jurgen Melzer (Zagreb' date= vs Brands) x Viktor Troicki (Zagreb, vs Schuettler): Double at 1.77 Melzer comes into the tournament on some pretty sketchy form, but I think he'll have enough to beat Daniel Brands. The Austrian is by no means at his most comfortable indoors but Brands, who is essentially a clay court player and has posted some poor showings on a hard court, is worse. Melzer, when his game clicks, can out-gun anybody and his big forehand and serve will be too much for the German. Troicki faces a better German in Rainer Schuettler, but the Serb made the semi-finals here last year and has too much power and stamina for his ageing opponent. Schuettler, even early last year, was a decent player, but his star is waning and I can see Troicki taking this. Bet strength: 4pts Zagreb - Simone Bolelli vs Illya Marchenko: Bolelli at 2.00 Bolelli has found wins tough to come by of late, but all of his opponents have been of a better quality than Marchenko. The Italian has the ability but sometimes struggles mentally. I have no doubt, however, that he'll be looking at this match and seeing it as very winnable. The Italian made the semi-finals here in 2008 and does prefer hard courts. He has a decent array of groundstrokes and has the power and accuracy to rise above Marchenko. The Ukranian won a number of matches indoors on the Challenger circuit at the tail end of last year and had a decent run in St Petersburg - however, he's yet to face someone with the ability of Bolelli. I can understand why Bolelli is such a big price in many ways, yet I still feel it represents good value on the better player in this tie. It all depends whether Bolelli can believe in himself in terms of getting a win. I feel he will do. Bet strength: 3pts Zagreb - Mikhail Kukushkin vs Mischa Zverev: Zverev at 2.10 Zverev is a little similar to Bolelli in terms of him having a bad time of things recently. He's suffered from injury and loss of confidence, yet he returns to hardcourts indoors, which he says is his best surface. He made the quarter-finals here last year, taking out Andreas Seppi and Victor Hanescu on the way, There is no doubt he can produce performances. Kukushkin is another who plays well indoors but he is still graduating to Tour level. He's got a nice backhand and has an unbeaten record against left-handed players, but I still think if Zverev plays to his potential, he'll have too much for the Kazakh. The German has ranking points to defend, so I feel he'll be keen to put in a performance here. Bet strength: 3pts Johannesburg - Blaz Kavcic vs Thierry Ascione: Ascione at 2.20 This is a match that could go either way to be honest. Kavcic is predominantly a clay court players - most of his good Challenger matches have come on that surface - and the plexicushion surface here could be too fast for him. In saying that, Ascione prefers a faster hard court, although I still think he'll be happier on the surface than the Slovenian. The 29-year-old has been around the block a few times and knows how to win matches at this level. He'll see it as a good chance to earn some cash. I'd have the odds reversed here, and I do feel deep down that Ascione will win. Small stakes as we're dealing with two poor players in the grand scheme of things, but at the price it's worth a small punt. Bet strength: 1pt
Hmmm, not a great start to the week on the tennis front. Troicki and Melzer both won fairly comfortably to bag the main bet, but the other three all lost. I was most disappointed with Bolelli, who was meek against Marchenko. That's twice he's let me down this year. Perhaps he just isn't the player he was. Ascione's old age got the better of him against Kavcic, while Zverev still has a lot of work to do. Marchenko played - and served - really well. Congrats to all on him :ok

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February jose statham to beat rufin at 11-8 with powers this morning in tazmania appeals to me!! i have seen him play...he's a young player with potential....he's like a very very poor man's andy murray (a broke man if ya like!)he plugs away with his forehand but he has a nice solid backhand and is quite crafty around the net!rufin is a solid plugger himself and a good battler but he has no weapons to hurt statham really and i just think statham has a bit more variety and i s good valaue at underdog!he can also be backed at 5-4 with bet365.

Sport Tennis
Event Koellerer-Golubev
Selection Koellerer to win
Strength 10/10
Date 02/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.62 (Back)
Reasoning For me Koellerer have more chances to win, bookies make big mistake with this odds - 2.50 is maximum, I take this value with full stakes. Koellerer is 73 in ATP rank, in this year take injury in Doha and retired against Beck, but play in AO with injury - lost after 5 sets with Veic. Koellerer in last time trained before tournament in Zagreb, want take good form. Koellerer in this moment is in very good fitness form and can take first win in 2010. Golubev is worse in ATP rank because is only 131. Ok - I know Golubev in last weekend go to Final in Heilbronn CH, this is good result, but propably is tired - play 7 matches in 2 weeks - from Australia go to Germany, from Germany go to Croatia. In last match lost 2-0 with Berrer - Koellerer have this level, really. In Indoor Hard 1:0 for Koellerer, won in 2007 6-2, 6-4.

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Nieminen -3.5 tb. Lu - $1.73 Pinnacle Although Nieminen didn't start the year well with AUS tournaments where he usually gets very good results, he is still the favorite in this clash with Lu. Jarkko has played in all weeks so far, he was in Brisbane where lost to Gasquet but has managed to take a set against Gasquet who was in form, then lost to Dent at Sydney, qualifying round while in Australian Open has beaten Lindahl and lost in second round to Serra in a five setter match. But he still has better results than Lu who is 0-2 this year with loses to Lacko in Chennai in two sets while at AO he lost to Louk Sorensen, i had a bet on him but somehow he lost after winning the first set. Both Nieminen and Lu are not at their best but Jarkko is the better player and i'm with him on this one, he has the game to put Lu in trouble whole match, can easily find good angles and if will keep good stats at serve then will be a straight sets win. 1.73 is not the best odds i could have taken, odds dropped considerable but still looks takeable. Only this for now, probable will be another picks for today.

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Well done to the uptheirons, who mopped up yesterday. Great tipping, and looking forward to reading your tips today, as will perhaps follow a few. Here's my selections for today's tennis, looking to get back on track. Santiago - Lukasz Kubot vs Horacio Zeballos: Kubot at 2.10 I really fancy the Pole to take this one. He's been in good form recently, going deep into Doha and Melbourne, and he prefers clay to any other surface. He's got a big serve and solid groundstrokes and he's also handy at the net, being a good doubles player too. His record against lefties stands at W3 L5, but I still think he should get the better of Zeballos. The Argentine's had a pretty poor start to the year, losing all his matches, and he prefers hard courts. This, bizarrely, will be his first ever match on clay in a Tour event, and although he's done well at Challenger level, Kubot is a step up from that. He made the final in St Petersburg last year which to me, suggests he needs a faster surface. Kubot got to the final of a clay event last year in Belgrade, so in my eyes he should be around 1.80, not 2.10. I'm happy to take him. Bet strength: 5pts Xavier Malisse (Johannesburg, vs Devvarman) x Oleksander Dolgopolov Jr (Johannesburg, vs Alves): Double at 2.30 Malisse has made a bit of a comeback in the last year and he'll see this as a good chance to progress in a tournament. He came through qualifying in Australia and was unlucky not to be Nicolas Almagro in a five-set thriller. He is a good hard court player and I suspect he'll have too much power for Devvarman. Both players have won more than they've lost indoors but Malisse has more experience on these types of court and I expect him to prevail. As for the fantastically-named Dolgopolov Jr, he seems to have hit a bit of form, taking a set off Stepanek in Brisbane and making the semis of the Heilbronn indoor challenger last week. Alves says he prefers to play on hard court but has limited experience indoors and played on clay last week in Colombia - it'll take him time to adapt to the hard courts. Dolgopolov also leads the H2H 1-0. The Ukranian is my preferred choice here. Bet strength: 3pts There were a few other matches that caught my eye. Originally I was going to take Denis Istomin to beat Lukas Lacko, but that game is too tough to call. Istomin leads H2H 2-0, but Lacko is really picking up and it'd be too risky a bet. Raven Klaasen also appealled at 4.00 against David Guez, but the Frenchman performed well last year, beating Wawrinka indoors, so it's a no-no for me. Good luck, Atko

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Nieminen lost in straights to Lu...these tournaments are shady. He might have been a bit tired but Lu is poor right now. Anyway...... Dolgopolov x Tipsarevic Double @ 11/10 I see Dolgopolov as superior player to Alves. He's on the rise I think, good fighter and chances here to progress.Won quite a bit on Dolgopolov this last year, so hopefully he comes good again. Tipsarevic has a dangerous match with Berrer. Berrer won the Heilbronn Challenger last week and has a good game for indoor hard. He could keep this tight. But Tipsarevic is more consistent player, started the year OK...semi's in Chennai losing to Cilic and lost a tight 5 setter with Haas in AO. Tipsarevic leads 3-1 H2H incld. a win on Indoor hard in Vienna a few months ago. GL!

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February I'll probably skip the whole day. I never watched most of those players, some of them i haven't watched for a very long time. If i had to take something i'd probably took Sidorenko over Bemelmans, but only looking at previous results, cause i don't know anything about any of them. GL to rest of you though, i'll focus on tommorow.

Xavier Malisse (Johannesburg, vs Devvarman) x Oleksander Dolgopolov Jr (Johannesburg, vs Alves): Double at 2.30 Malisse has made a bit of a comeback in the last year and he'll see this as a good chance to progress in a tournament. He came through qualifying in Australia and was unlucky not to be Nicolas Almagro in a five-set thriller. He is a good hard court player and I suspect he'll have too much power for Devvarman. Both players have won more than they've lost indoors but Malisse has more experience on these types of court and I expect him to prevail. As for the fantastically-named Dolgopolov Jr, he seems to have hit a bit of form, taking a set off Stepanek in Brisbane and making the semis of the Heilbronn indoor challenger last week. Alves says he prefers to play on hard court but has limited experience indoors and played on clay last week in Colombia - it'll take him time to adapt to the hard courts. Dolgopolov also leads the H2H 1-0. The Ukranian is my preferred choice here. Bet strength: 3pts
This tournament in Johannesburg is not indoors

This tournament in Johannesburg is not indoors
Sh!t, that's very true. When I was doing my research I got it confused with Zagreb. Too many bloody tournaments! Still think that Dolgopolov will prevail here. It's hard to transfer from a clay court to a hard court, even more so when your opponents been on a hard court most of the time.

Re: Tennis - 1-7 February Bozoljac - Jelenić just finished, Jelenić won his first professional match but that's not that important. Match was so dirty that i can't believe they decided to do that on national television. Jelenić got injured in 2nd set(won first), he couldn't move left or right. It was funny actually, he was just standing on the baseline and Bozoljac was returning the ball to him all the time. Bozoljac had 5-4 in 2nd set and serve, made some incredible UE's, and Jelenić couldn't move. At 6-5 for Jelenić, Bozoljac made 2 DF's. Second one was on MP. :rollin This tournament is made for hitting odds over 5. ;)

Well done to the uptheirons, who mopped up yesterday. Great tipping, and looking forward to reading your tips today, as will perhaps follow a few. Here's my selections for today's tennis, looking to get back on track. Santiago - Lukasz Kubot vs Horacio Zeballos: Kubot at 2.10 I really fancy the Pole to take this one. He's been in good form recently, going deep into Doha and Melbourne, and he prefers clay to any other surface. He's got a big serve and solid groundstrokes and he's also handy at the net, being a good doubles player too. His record against lefties stands at W3 L5, but I still think he should get the better of Zeballos. The Argentine's had a pretty poor start to the year, losing all his matches, and he prefers hard courts. This, bizarrely, will be his first ever match on clay in a Tour event, and although he's done well at Challenger level, Kubot is a step up from that. He made the final in St Petersburg last year which to me, suggests he needs a faster surface. Kubot got to the final of a clay event last year in Belgrade, so in my eyes he should be around 1.80, not 2.10. I'm happy to take him. Bet strength: 5pts Xavier Malisse (Johannesburg, vs Devvarman) x Oleksander Dolgopolov Jr (Johannesburg, vs Alves): Double at 2.30 Malisse has made a bit of a comeback in the last year and he'll see this as a good chance to progress in a tournament. He came through qualifying in Australia and was unlucky not to be Nicolas Almagro in a five-set thriller. He is a good hard court player and I suspect he'll have too much power for Devvarman. Both players have won more than they've lost indoors but Malisse has more experience on these types of court and I expect him to prevail. As for the fantastically-named Dolgopolov Jr, he seems to have hit a bit of form, taking a set off Stepanek in Brisbane and making the semis of the Heilbronn indoor challenger last week. Alves says he prefers to play on hard court but has limited experience indoors and played on clay last week in Colombia - it'll take him time to adapt to the hard courts. Dolgopolov also leads the H2H 1-0. The Ukranian is my preferred choice here. Bet strength: 3pts There were a few other matches that caught my eye. Originally I was going to take Denis Istomin to beat Lukas Lacko, but that game is too tough to call. Istomin leads H2H 2-0, but Lacko is really picking up and it'd be too risky a bet. Raven Klaasen also appealled at 4.00 against David Guez, but the Frenchman performed well last year, beating Wawrinka indoors, so it's a no-no for me. Good luck, Atko
Utter garbage. Kubot's getting spanked. Big mistake by me, should've realised that Kubot's playing doubles with Marach here. This singles match will be just to let him get used to clay before he goes on to the doubles, which is far more important to him. Bollocks, fcuking bollocks. My bad, and apologies to anyone who took this :$

Bozoljac - Jelenić just finished, Jelenić won his first professional match but that's not that important. Match was so dirty that i can't believe they decided to do that on national television. Jelenić got injured in 2nd set(won first), he couldn't move left or right. It was funny actually, he was just standing on the baseline and Bozoljac was returning the ball to him all the time. Bozoljac had 5-4 in 2nd set and serve, made some incredible UE's, and Jelenić couldn't move. At 6-5 for Jelenić, Bozoljac made 2 DF's. Second one was on MP. :rollin This tournament is made for hitting odds over 5. ;)
It's terrible how players get away with this. Match-fixing at it's finest. Korolev threw his match yesterday with Dodig I think, same with Bozoljac today. Small stakes and more research needed this week, it's very dangerous for betting.

Sport Tennis
Event Koellerer-Golubev
Selection Koellerer to win
Strength 10/10
Date 02/02/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.62 (Back)
Reasoning For me Koellerer have more chances to win, bookies make big mistake with this odds - 2.50 is maximum, I take this value with full stakes. Koellerer is 73 in ATP rank, in this year take injury in Doha and retired against Beck, but play in AO with injury - lost after 5 sets with Veic. Koellerer in last time trained before tournament in Zagreb, want take good form. Koellerer in this moment is in very good fitness form and can take first win in 2010. Golubev is worse in ATP rank because is only 131. Ok - I know Golubev in last weekend go to Final in Heilbronn CH, this is good result, but propably is tired - play 7 matches in 2 weeks - from Australia go to Germany, from Germany go to Croatia. In last match lost 2-0 with Berrer - Koellerer have this level, really. In Indoor Hard 1:0 for Koellerer, won in 2007 6-2, 6-4.
thx Daniel:) 6:3, 3:6, 6:3