** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

"muppet Ride Of The Week"

Re: "muppet Ride Of The Week" Cant agree with that, pretty sure Ruby has a free hand and would be amazed if the Godolphins clowns told Frankie how to ride races. Instructions or a plan A may have been discussed pre race but too many things happen in races and Jockeys must make the final call.

Re: "muppet Ride Of The Week" there are some stupid jockeys out there that, even if they sense the race is not being run to suit, stick so rigidly to trainers instructions they easily lose the race. The worst example was when I went to Chester earlier in the season. After withdrawls there were four runners that faced the starter, all stumbled out of the stalls and all jockeys had been given instructions to hold their mounts up. None of the jockeys wanted to use their brain because that would mean ignoring instructions, so they all relucatant cantered along, it was unreal to watch and I asked the man standing next to me if there had been a false start, such was the lack of pace. In the end, Will Buick showed himself to be intelligent and ended up making the runnning, when it finally came to the business end of the race he was well positioned and had first run on the other three when the race descended into a sprint. The hot Aidan O'Brien fav got done over because Murtagh didn't use his brain and take up the running, so that shows even the best of them get it wrong. One jockey that did ride really well the other day was Frankie. I laid Racing Hero at Doncaster due to a lack of pace in the race (horse held up on all previous starts) but when the pacemaker was withdrawn Frankie sensed a muddling gallop and made all on the winner, who led from pillar to post. Always handy to know which jockeys can sense things in such situations.

Re: "muppet Ride Of The Week"

Cant agree with that' date=' pretty sure Ruby has a free hand and would be amazed if the Godolphins clowns told Frankie how to ride races. Instructions or a plan A may have been discussed pre race but too many things happen in races and Jockeys must make the final call.[/quote'] I know for a fact that a certain Irish trainer gives his jockeys instructions, telling them to stick with his instructions as much as humanly possible, but if the jockey feels the race isn't turning out the way the trainer had planned, then they are free to ride it as they wish, but must account for their actions afterwards to the trainer, win or lose. This includes all jockeys riding for him, even one offs :ok

Re: "muppet Ride Of The Week" Jockeys do what they are told,no matter who they are...the trainer makes the decision,ruby walsh or otherwise..its true that ruby would ring and trainer and ask for a ride and the trainer usually gives to him..but once it comes to the race the trainer gives the instruction on tactics.whatever it is...yes there are changes in the race,slight changes to tatics depending on race and how it pans out,but the plan for the horse in the race is in place from the start especially on national hunt racing...flat of course is slightly difference due to shorter distances,getting boxed in etc etc,but the tactics are there from start also on how race is to be run..or plan a as the poster above puts it People give out about spencer but the trainers hire him to do the job he does,although he does make some errors,that happens...:cow

Jockeys do what they are told,no matter who they are...the trainer makes the decision,ruby walsh or otherwise..its true that ruby would ring and trainer and ask for a ride and the trainer usually gives to him..but once it comes to the race the trainer gives the instruction on tactics.whatever it is...yes there are changes in the race,slight changes to tatics depending on race and how it pans out,but the plan for the horse in the race is in place from the start especially on national hunt racing...flat of course is slightly difference due to shorter distances,getting boxed in etc etc,but the tactics are there from start also on how race is to be run..
I agree with what you are saying, the trainers are ultimately in control of how the horse should be running. They have done all the prep work and know how the horse should be ridden in a race. Despite this, the best judge ultimately should be the jockey as many horses act totally different on a racecourse as they do at home. Look at Mikael D'Haguenet. At one point at the beginning of last season they were for giving up on him, as he couldn't be bothered doing anything at home, no matter what they tried. Put him on a racecourse and all of a sudden he is an absolute monster. Point is, only jockeys will know how much horse they have underneath them and ultimately they are the best judges of how fast they should be going, based on what they seemingly have left in the tank. You say it is different in the flat due to being boxed in etc..... IMO that is caveated by horses falling in NH races, which can change things drastically.

Re: "muppet Ride Of The Week" going back to the original post, the horse made a mistake at a fence, this happens. My only fault with jump jockeys is when they get too far behind or like Richard Johnson, they don't seem to be able to jump certain fences at the business end in my experience, the jocks often ride to thier own instruction & nothing else

Re: "muppet Ride Of The Week" For me today is Keith Mercer on Pistol Basc This horse was cruising and never off the bridle, even though made a bad mistake three out it was still going well. What i want to know is was they schooling this horse to see if the trip was with in grasp. as it looked all over the winner a long way out.

Re: "muppet Ride Of The Week" I cant say as i didnt see the race. I am flat racing only (,Hence the photo of the genuine and full of heart GIANTS CAUSEWAY) i do watch the big races and festivals but thats as far as it goes. Too many ways of getting beat and that jumps lot are very suspect fellow, but good luck to anyone playing on it.

Re: "muppet Ride Of The Week" Barry has booked into spec savers first thing monday morning so he can read this thread! Yet again the punter is the only loser, dont back jump horses period so doesnt bother me either way.A 12 day ban wont affect him much a few chances at Cheltenham have gone west but a hefty fine would have made more sense donated to charity.

i never back him in chases for that reason
With the view of finding as many angles as I can and taking what you have said I did some basic stats work on Johnson riding for Hobbs, which unsurprisingly is where he rides the most. He does do worse over Chases than Hurdles. Backing all qualifiers to BFSP, you would lose 5% of turnover in Handicap Chases, 14.5% in Novice Chases, and 41.5% in Novice Handicap Chases (Nov HC stats is a small sample size though). In summary, it seems that Johnsons unique skills and the Hobbs name combine to drive down prices in Novice Chases to the point where it is totally uneconomic to back. :ok