** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

American 2YO at Ascot

This might have been raised on the Ascot threads but I haven't read them all...............;) OK, so it's nice to see US runners, but they mean the races are impossible as we just have no idea how good they are - that particularly applies to two year olds ! So, the Norfolk tomorrow is a no-no and presumably the Albany and the Chesham as well...........and next year when we have 3 or 4 US runners in each race looking for easy money........well, just give up. I think it's a shame really because those US runners probably won't run again in the UK and it removes the whole excitement of the Ascot two year old races as the first round in this season's 2YO Pattern...........the Ascot races in future will probably have little bearing on the rest of the season and that will detract from their interest. A large part of the interest in racing for me is that immediately after a race you start to think what the winner goes for and what are it's chances. Stacelita wins on Sunday, first thought is the Arc.......Canford Cliffs wins on tuesday, you start thinking Dewhurst, next years 2000 gns......................it'll be a real shame if the Ascot 2YO races are taken out of the mainstream and become one-off sideshows with no relevance to the rest of the season. Is this just me being a bit churlish or is anyone else worried that the Ascot two year old races will become an irrelevance apart from the ten minutes that they're being run..........

Re: American 2YO at Ascot It's a global game. I've enjoyed the American presence. I read an article in the RA special of Raceform. The Overseas guy describes the 6 (now only 5) horses sent coming over from Wesley Ward. He said Cannonball needed to improve by a stone to figure and that looks fairly accurate. The next two in reverse order have now impressively hosed up at decent odds. The best two, Aegean (runs Thursday 2.30) finished in front of today's hotbox Jealous Again! Yogaroo (Friday 2.30)blasted clear of Strike The Tiger in training workout. Personally I can't wait, both of them are double figures. There is some decent info out there, it needs to be found and related, not always that easy to do. IMHO, I'd rather have a bit of variety.

Re: American 2YO at Ascot I disagree completely tbh Trotter. I fail to see what the difference is now to when the Aussie horses come over to try and win our sprints for older horses. The form for the US horses is available, and we have to remember the game is not purely for punters. We have to remember that Ascot have 2 International legs of The Global Sprint Challenge, so it is truly an International event. The US 2 year old was scintillating today, and it was very findable (Wesley Ward had a stormer at Keeneland over the winter) For what its worth, I didnt find this out until after he had that winner today. I'll be honest, I thought the way that 2 year old filly destroyed the opposition today excited me more than any other race so far at Ascot, bar maybe Canford Cliffs.

Re: American 2YO at Ascot Yeah........it's not so much the actual races A few American runners will make them exciting and in future no doubt we'll get the form and analysis of the US runners........ No problem with that. My main grumble is that the races will become a sideshow and have no relevance to the rest of the season - I like the Ascot 2YO races as being the start of the trail that leads to next years Guineas. My worry is that in future they'll have no relevance to the rest of the season as the three placed US horses will never run in the UK again Or maybe I'm being a bit precious and all that will happen is that the 'start' of the classic generation's two year old campaigns will move back in time to the July Meeting at Newmarket and we'll just view the Ascot races as an exciting sideshow.

Re: American 2YO at Ascot

Yeah........it's not so much the actual races A few American runners will make them exciting and in future no doubt we'll get the form and analysis of the US runners........ No problem with that. My main grumble is that the races will become a sideshow and have no relevance to the rest of the season - I like the Ascot 2YO races as being the start of the trail that leads to next years Guineas. My worry is that in future they'll have no relevance to the rest of the season as the three placed US horses will never run in the UK again Or maybe I'm being a bit precious and all that will happen is that the 'start' of the classic generation's two year old campaigns will move back in time to the July Meeting at Newmarket and we'll just view the Ascot races as an exciting sideshow.
Yeah, I see where you are coming from. I'll be honest with you - The US horses are bred for speed, and they wont be coming back from the Guineas etc so I can see your point. I still dont mind it personally as it adds some flavour globally to Ascot, but as I say, I see your point. :ok

Re: American 2YO at Ascot I'll take Lillie Langtry to beat Aegean on Friday in the Albany. D1924 - You've got your horses and days mixed up...and your prices as well by the sound of it, unless you got on ante-post. I imagine both will go off close to 2/1, if not smaller.