Best bet of the day - 8/6/09

8.50 Pontefract I think its time to dust down the cannons tonight and launch a full blown assault on the top of the table - Mark of Meydan, 2 pt supernap, for me here please BH. Supernapping a horse in double figures may seem a silly strategy but when I suggested the idea of a supernap last year it was for instances such as today, where you see a horse that gets you all excited, you up your stakes, and think you may be onto a big winner. I think he could run a really strong race off a mark of 70 here and in a field of what are primarily exposed sorts, could slip under the radar off the back of a few disappointing efforts, but which I am willing to excuse. The piece of form that smacks me in the face when assessing his mark is his second to Harrison George in a Doncaster maiden last term. The front pair pulled clear of the field and he made the Fahey horse work that day, as the winner only got on top close home. Given that Harrison George got off the mark in handicaps off 79 shortly after, and has been running well off 90 this season, suggests Mark of Meydan is attractively weighted on 70 here, especially considering the fifth that day, Pavershooz, just landed a heritage handicap this weekend and is another operating off considerable higher ratings. He too won his opening handicap off 70, and I think Mark of Meydan too can similarly progress this season, especially since his mark has been trimmed 2 lbs from his last outing. Mark of Meydan has experience of this stiff track, finishing third here on his debut and again, there is a little hint in that race too that suggests he is well handicapped as he chased home Strawberry Moon, who won recently at Redcar off this sort of mark. Although he was well behind All The Nines on his reappearance, Mark of Meydan was perfectly entitled to need that run and the fact the winner has won twice since turning to handicaps proves Debbie Sanderson's filly is infact no mug. His last race came at Newcastle where he made his handicap debut over seven furlongs, but couldn't make any inroads on the winner on that soft ground. However, he drops back to six furlongs here, and starting from the rail draw on faster ground I think he is worth backing to get his head infront at the fifth time of asking. Michael Dods and Phillip Makin are in fair enough form, scoring with Legal Legacy at Musselburgh on Saturday, so all in all I'll take the twelves on offer with Stan James all day long. 2 pt supernap.

Re: Best bet of the day - 8/6/09 230 Newton Abbot : Barizan 4 horses here ran in the Stratford race that Rupestrian won, none of them really got into the race at any stage so the ratings are very low and it wouldnt take much from one of the debutants to improve on those figures. By far the best of those on the flat is the Evan Williams horse Barizan, actually once finished 14 lenghths behind Rip Van Winkle, some of these would do well to finish 14 furlongs behind that horse. True Britannia looks the danger but was beaten in a seller at Bath last time out. If Barizan jumps he wins for me, will be odds on but there are some tricky races out there today, a usual monday minefield.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.