Windsor (eve) 1/6/09

7.25 Windsor Fyodor is a quirky sort but has to be of interest now his official rating has dropped a stone. He has always been one hard to catch right, but won off 95 at Great Leighs in November to show ability is there. His rating took a pummelling for that win and he was rated too high to make an impact in handicaps thereafter. He has since ran in a few plating races and shown little, but offered a hint he is coming back to hand as he was only beaten by a short head at Lingfield last time out. He was claimed by David Evans that day, and has now seen his rating cut to 75. Given he has been out of form in handicaps, that seems fair, but I'm going to chance him today as the trainer is the sort to eek out a little bit of improvement and his rating looks very appealing. 7/1 Bet 365, 0.5 pt 7.55 Windsor The manner of Icelandic's victory at Doncaster last year is something that impressed me very much as he had the field beaten without Hayley Turner even having to come off the bridle. That win came in listed company (as tonight) over 6f, and I think he found 5f a little on the sharp side at lingfield after. Last time out at the Curragh the going was heavy, so despite the fact he was racing over tonights trip of 6f I think he is worth another chance on faster ground tonight. A decent jockey booking in Seb Sanders. 12/1 Bet 365, 0.25 pt 8.55 Windsor Sainglend returns to the flat after five runs over hurdles, but Sean Curran's gelding has been in good shape, placing in four of those runs and finishing 5th in a Grade 1 novices hurdle at Aintree in the other. That suggests that he is still on the upgrade, and he returns to the flat 7 lbs higher than when winning here over slightly shorter last October. He acts on the ground, the step up in trip is unlikely to inconvenience, and with Richard Hughes booked, he could go close. 6 pts matched TBP @ 1.8 (Betfair)

Re: Windsor (eve) 1/6/09 7.55 - Sohraab - ew JJ The Jet Plane ought to be winning this - he's a triple group one winner on his way to the big sprints at Royal Ascot. But he is odds-on, his G1 wins have been in South Africa, don't know the quality he beat, he hasn't run for a while, he disappointed first run back after a break in the desert, and he's drawn widest of the field. He should still win like the Greek horse on Saturday. Our sprinters are a fairly poor bunch and these overseas speed merchants look to have the Ascot races at their mercy. Still...........I quite fancy Sohraab to bustle him up. He's a tough, in form,top handicapper, fresh from a win in the big sprint handicap at the Chester meeting. His record says he's better at 5 furlongs, but that's in 20-odd runner handicaps with a blazing pace on. In a small field he might get the trip OK - he has won over 6F before. He's got the rail and he's got the shortest distance to run round the dog leg Only 6 runners - so 2 places for EW or do the forecast, JJ and Sohraab

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.