Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Can't see it myself, although can always hope Tahir takes a hatrick! 122 is a very poor score by all accounts, and just seems to me that they are very reliant on 1/2 batsmen in this format. Think I will add them to my teams to oppose list, alongside Notts and Middlesex.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009

We were poor, another crap score. This time couldn't defend it Davies again though, when will he become a fecking England regular?!
He never will mate. They'll stick with Prior this year and then from March 1st Kieswetter will go ahead of him in the pecking order.

Can't see it myself' date=' although can always hope Tahir takes a hatrick! 122 is a very poor score by all accounts, and just seems to me that they are very reliant on 1/2 batsmen in this format. Think I will add them to my teams to oppose list, alongside Notts and Middlesex.[/quote'] The pitch isn't coming on at all by all accounts. They only made 11 more than us on a perfect wicket the other day. This is the wicket they played on last night so in theory it should start turning big. Haven't helped ourselves by dropping Luke Wright just now though.

The pitch isn't coming on at all by all accounts. They only made 11 more than us on a perfect wicket the other day. This is the wicket they played on last night so in theory it should start turning big. Haven't helped ourselves by dropping Luke Wright just now though.
Ah ok, explains a bit then. Didn't know it was the same wicket as last night. Thanks for the info - Wright gone now as well, so drop not too costly yet.

Ah ok' date=' explains a bit then. Didn't know it was the same wicket as last night. Thanks for the info - Wright gone now as well, so drop not too costly yet.[/quote'] Was the same at The Oval on Wednesday too. I slaughtered our run chase there and I still think there was an element of brainless cricket about it but almost every interview I heard from both sides on the radio said the pitch was awfully slow.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 I've been going on about him for ages now! Guy is quality. Kieswetter, don't know much about him. But Davies shoul have been given a shot already, I know he has featured slightly now, but needs a good shot. 2nd in the MVP already. Early doors I know, but not like Prior has been setting the world alight and he has been given a good run now

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Bad night tonight with only Essex winning for me. Hampshire really need to buck their ideas up with the bat and the next two matches - Surrey at home and Middlesex away are huge now. Anything less than 2 wins and we're struggling big time. -5.09 tonight so back to +17.47 now. Tomorrow's prices:

Saturday 30 May 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifWorcestershire v Northamptonshire (15:00 BST) 1.95 2 101.28 %
maximize.gifGlamorgan v Warwickshire (17:30 BST) 2.2 1.72 103.35 %
Will come back in the morning with any bets I decide to have tomorrow.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Currently a disappointing -45.6. One for later. Warwickshire to beat Glamorgan 8/11 boy 10 pts Warwickshire started this off poorly perhaps suffering from their near miss in the FP and certainly their bowlers were in the first two games as they took some heavy punishment. However they bounced back last night with a good win against Worcester. Their bowling was much better as really it should be given their attack on paper at least isn’t that bad and they had little problem knocking off the runs. Today they go to Glamorgan who took a beat of a beating last night as their bowling line up went around the park somewhat. They will probably be holding a lot on the likely spin orientated nature of the pitch but against the bears that could well backfire as in patel and botha they have two good spinners at least on paper. Also I don’t really like the over dependence on Cosgrove for Glamorgan and I see Warwickshire as the better side who can win this.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Toyed for a while whether to take this one or not but decided I will. 3pts Glamorgan to beat Warwickshire 6/5 Stan James Glamorgan have had a mixed start to the competition having won one and lost 2, one of those losses they'll know they should have won. Warwickshire have the same record as Glamorgan after their bowling attack went round the country in their 1st two matches before they beat Worcestershire last night. Glamorgan's batting revolves a lot around Mark Cosgrove who likes the ball coming onto the bat and who could well fill his boots against Warwickshire's young attack. Jamie Dalrymple offers international experience with the bat while Michael Powell, Tom Maynard and Mark Wallace are all solid options. Ben Wright is having a good season. Robert Croft and Dean Cosker are key with the ball but James Harris is pretty good too. Warwickshire's batting efforts have circled around their top 3 in the main apart from a cameo from Botha and Westwood at Taunton. Jim Troughton has been in excellent form this summer and he's got 3 half centuries in 3 matches in this tournament. Ian Bell and Tim Ambrose add international experience to the batting. With the ball though they are weak. Jeetan Patel is the overseas player but he's going at over 8 an over so far. Keith Barker has been the star so far with 8 wickets in 3 matches. Home advantage under the lights at Cardiff is usually pretty key and Glamorgan play their conditions well in this competition. If they can get into the Warwickshire side early then their spin twins can tie them down and the Dragons can prevail as winners.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Glamorgan were in a good position at one stage in their batting performance but then like Monday threw it all away. Annoying really because I can see that group being won with something like 6 wins, although Northants are flying at the minute. Down to +14.47 now.

Sunday 31 May 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifDerbyshire v Yorkshire (14:30 BST) 2 2.05 98.78 %
maximize.gifDurham v Nottinghamshire (14:30 BST) 1.83 2.1 102.16 %
maximize.gifHampshire v Surrey (14:30 BST) 1.9 2 102.38 %
maximize.gifLeicestershire v Lancashire (14:40 BST) 2.6 1.63 99.81 %
maximize.gifKent v Sussex (15:00 BST) 1.72 2.25 102.34 %

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 2 for me at the minute. Am keeping an eye on team news for a couple of others but I'll come back with those tomorrow if I play them. These two are standout prices which may not last until the morning. One match bet and a top bat in the TV game which is Leicester vs Lancashire. 3pts Derbyshire to beat Yorkshire Evs Bet365 Derbyshire started the competition really well and they beat Leicestershire and Durham fairly easily before feeling the full force of Graeme Swann on Friday night. Yorkshire laboured to a win over Leicestershire in their opening game but have suffered two heavy Roses defeats since then and played poorly in both matches. Derbyshire have a decent little side at the minute. Chris Rogers is class with the bat and Wavell Hinds is finally beginning to show why he's played so many matches for West Indies in the past. Stuart Law is a good solid pro still and the likes of Smith and Redfern are talented batsmen. Tom Lungley is on fire with the ball at the minute and Graeme Wagg is always hard to get away. Tim Groenewald is going well too so the absence of Charl Langeveldt isn't as big as expected. Yorkshire's batting performance on Friday was almost embarassing. There was hardly no attacking intent at all and when there was it was aimless swinging. I've mentioned a number of times how weak their batting is and if they keep batting Richard Pyrah at number 5 I will continue to oppose them. Bresnan is back and he can bat but on the flip side, Adil Rashid has left for England duty. With the ball, Deon Kruis has been tight and Rana Naved is a bag of tricks but that's meaningless if there's no runs on the board. Derby are playing good cricket at the minute and their batting is going much better than Yorkshire's. If Lungley continues his impressive form and gets a couple of early wickets this could be an easy home win. 1pt ew P.Nixon Top Leicestershire Batsman 6/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Paul Nixon is a very solid one day batsman and he's been one of Leicestershire's best twenty20 batsmen down the years. In the 3 matches the Foxes have played in this competition this summer, Nixon is yet to be out of the top 3 and he comes into this match having joint top scored with Jim Allenby in the match at Durham on Friday night. Maybe relinquishing the twenty20 captaincy has helped his batting but whatever it is it's working for the ex England keeper. Lancashire play with 3 spinners so whoever you back has to be able to play spin and very few play it as well as Nixon who is sure to get the sweep and reverse sweep out. Nixon is one of few Foxes batsmen in good nick and at 6/1 he looks a superb ew bet.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Pretty easy winner yesterday. Two for today: Hampshire to beat Surrey 5/6 sj 10 pts Im going for the hawks to bounce back in this one and get some revenge for a 1 run defeat last week against surrey. Hampshire started this campaign well with an easy opening win but since then their batting has struggled with two low scores including failing to chase down a low score against surrey. So there is a bit of a risk here but Im hoping their batting can fire better today and it could well do so against an ok Surrey bowling attack but not a world beating one. Hampshire bowling has been pretty good so far in general and they will look to restrict a Surrey team who have a good top 3 but after that they haven’t always seen their lower order players come off. Hampshire should be better in that department and on home soil I can see them avenging last week’s loss. Sussex to beat Kent 5/4 boy 10 pts Going for an upset here. Kent are favourites and probably just about rightly so but Sussex are a fraction overpriced for me. Kent have had two top years in this lately and go into this match unbeaten in the event so far this year. However that really equates to just 2 wins over a Middlesex team who are sadly struggling currently. In their other game they let Essex get over 185 before conditions saved them. Sussex had a poor run chase against essex and a bad opening loss but beside that have played well in their two other games. They beat Hampshire easily last match and also scored a big total against Surrey. Their batting even without Wright today has the potential to score very quickly and so far their bowling has been decent enough and they supposedly still have Arafat for today. There is also no Key for Kent today although on his early season form that is not a massive loss but I can just see a little shock here.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 One more from me today. 3pts Nottinghamshire to beat Durham Evs Bet365 Nottinghamshire finally got off the mark in this event with a big win over Derbyshire on Friday night and will be looking to build on that at the Riverside. Durham have struggled in this event too. They beat Notts in their opening game off the last ball but have suffered two bad defeats since then, the latest at home to Leicestershire on Friday night. Nottinghamshire will be without their England trio of Swann, Broad and Sidebottom but Andre Adams has had his release from his ICL contract come through so he can play while Bilal Shafayat comes into the squad to try and get some runs from the top order. The absence of the 3 England players is a blow but Adams took 9 wickets in this last season and went at less than 8 an over so he's not a bad replacement. Durham will be without Paul Collingwood who has gone off to captain England. Michael di Venuto and Phil Mustard will continue to open the innings with Ian Blackwell and Dale Benkenstein important in the middle order. Gareth Breese gets in the side at the minute while the seam attack looks set to include Neil Killeen again after he's made a good start to the tournament. Durham look like an ok side on paper but for whatever reason it's not coming together for them. Derbyshire hit 175 against them which would be worrying and with the bat they've only hit more than 150 once. Nottinghamshire have a decent enough all round side and aren't going too badly in one day cricket this season despite their slow start in this and at even money I'll take them to win here.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Shades of the IPL coming in for me. Derbyshire fell foul of the curse of Max Oram while similar to Taylor's innings in the IPL, Benkenstein's innings took the game away from Nottinghamshire. Nixon placed which was the only return on the day so -5.8pts for the day and back to +8.67 now. 5 matches tomorrow and I'll be keen to stop this rot which is setting in.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 2 for me tomorrow. 3pts Worcestershire to beat Gloucestershire Evs Ladbrokes Worcestershire beat Gloucestershire in their opening match of the competition. They've not won since then but they should've beaten Northants really and they come up against a Gloucestershire side who've only won once themselves. That was against Somerset at Taunton last time out. For the losers here it will take a lot to qualify as others will be getting away from them. Gloucestershire have recalled Grant Hodnett in place of Will Porterfield who is away with Ireland. My experiences of Hodnett are that he isn't a quick scorer so he'll have a tough job on to replace Porterfield who's done ok at the top of the innings. Craig Spearman is the one in form for the Gladiators. With the ball, Steve Kirby was excellent at Taunton and Jon Lewis is always tough to score off. Worcestershire's batting hasn't really fired yet but when it does they are more than capable of making 170+ without too many problems. The top two are the best, Solanki and Davies but if they have the foresight to shove Ashley Noffke up the order it could prove fruitful. With the ball they can get clattered. Especially Gareth Andrew and Solanki will have to rethink his bowling order. Gareth Batty is usually solid and Ian Fisher will want to go well on his old ground. Worcestershire will be looking for the double over the Gladiators and if they can avoid a repeat of Gareth Andrew's nightmare last over against Northants I think they'll get it. This Gloucester batting lineup looks to end at number 6 and if they can get stuck in early the Royals will win this. 3pts Kent to beat Essex Evs Ladbrokes Both these sides are in good form but both have been hit with key international call up's. Essex more so than Kent. However both are still unbeaten in this event, mainly due to the rain saving Kent against the Eagles on the opening day of the competition. Essex have lost Ravi Bopara who batted so well in their last two matches, along with James Foster, a key cog in their wheel in this competition and Graham Napier who we all know about. Ryan ten Doeschate has gone as well so Essex really have been hit hard. It's not easy to tell who will come in for all these players. I'd expect Chopra and Gallian to come into the side perhaps with Wheater as keeper and Chambers as the other bowler. David Masters and Danish Kaneria are two key weapons who are still around. Kent have only lost Robert Key but he is their captain so is influential in that regard but van Jaarsveld can step in easily enough while Key's runs weren't really coming so Hockley should be capable of doing that job. van Jaarsveld, Denly and Darren Stevens are all good solid performers in this form of the game. Ryan McLaren, Azhar Mahmood and Simon Cook are all good bowling options with Tredwell and Ferley spin options if required. Since McLaren and Stevens returned to the side Kent's result have improved unsurprisingly. They go to Chelmsford a very dangerous side as we've seen for the last two years in this competition and in making the final last year they beat a full strength Essex side in the semi finals. They won't face anything anywhere near that strong in this game and so I'll take the Spitfires to pick up the 2pts.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Im in a win one and then lose one phase atm. Two for later: Warwickshire to beat Northamptonshire 10/11 bet3 10 pts Northants lead this group currently but something tells me that this group will still be tight and I'm not sure I can see a team running away with it. For all that, Northants have been impressive in their wins so far. They have a series of strong hitters in their batting line up and whilst one could argue they are slightly too one dimensional in that they lack one or two more strokeplay kind batsmen, it hasnt exactly been a disaster so far with 3 wins from 3. However they face team in Warwickshire who have just started to find form again with two wins on the bounce now after a shaky start. The key seemingly has been that the bowling that went around the park in the first two games has settled down and thats not too surprising given that on paper at least the bears' bowling attack isnt actually that bad. Whilst the bears lost their previous encounter between the two teams, northants are missing o'brien from that game and warwickshire have bell now so the bears seemingly are favoured in that respect and I think at home, they can win this one. Kent to beat Essex evens lad 10 pts I opposed Kent yesterday but Im with them today against an Essex team who have been majorly depleted by the twenty20 world cup. My basis of opposing Kent yesterday was that I felt they were slightly too short given that so far in this event this year, all they had done really was beat middlesex twice who sadly are a shadow of the team they were last year. However now they have backed those two wins with another win they have to be respected even further now. They restricted a strongish looking Sussex line up and had little problem with the run chase. Essex have been in good form in this as well and set Kent a daunting total when these two sides meet first game. However Essex's side now is much more depleted and Kent's arguably improved despite missing Key. Kent for me in this one.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Level for me so still +8.67 going into tomorrow.

Tuesday 2 June 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifLancashire v Derbyshire (17:30 BST) 1.55 2.75 100.88 %
maximize.gifMiddlesex v Hampshire (17:30 BST) 2.38 1.72 99.91 %
maximize.gifYorkshire v Durham (17:30 BST) 1.95 2.02 100.79 %
One for me. 4pts Hampshire to beat Middlesex 8/11 Stan James Middlesex have been pathetic in this tournament so far lumbering to 4 straight losses and in truth none of them have been close either. Hampshire have two wins from their 4 matches and they'll be hoping to pick up their 1st away win here at Uxbridge. This is a big game for Hampshire with everyone else beating Middlesex which means the Hawks need to win to keep up with the rest. Hampshire are highly likely to be unchanged from the convincing win over Surrey on Sunday. That means Dominic Cork will be in the bowling attack and the Hawks are unbeaten in this competition with him in the side. Michael Lumb and Jimmy Adams hit form last time out and they'll hope to set another good foundation for Hampshire. Middlesex will be without Owais Shah and Eoin Morgan who are with England in the world twenty20. Andrew Strauss has been rested by England. Tim Murtagh is still injured. Murali Kartik is back in the Middlesex side but even he hasn't been able to reverse Middlesex's fortunes. They're not getting many runs and too many of their bowlers are going round the park. Hampshire are undoubtedly the better one day side of the two. Middlesex look a poor side in this competition and although it doesn't take much to turn it around I think Hampshire will be too strong with bat and ball and am confident they'll win this.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Poor day again yesterday with Kent conceding too many and Warwickshire having a shocking last ten overs so that means a disappointing -60 for me so far. Haven't got anything for today but shortly I'm actually off to watch middlesex's twenty 20 campaign disaster. Should be back tomorrow and I like a few in all the games there so layers get ready :lol

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Very easy win for Hampshire tonight. When our batting clicks we're always going to be tough to beat for anyone let alone a team playing as poorly as Middlesex. When Sean Ervine takes 4 for against you, you know you've got batting problems :lol. Wasn't just his bowling which won that game tonight, it was his batting too which was sublime. That win has set up a big game against Essex at the Rose Bowl on Thursday night. I was there last season when we tied with them but I'm hoping we can go one better. With 3 home games left if we win those, with 2 sides in the Mid/West/Wales group running away with it, 6 wins could be enough to progress. I just hope we don't live to regret the pisspoor run chase down at The Oval. An easy 2.91pts made tonight to put me back into double figures for the tournament to the tune of +11.58pts with 2 nights of this stint of twenty20 matches left before the 2 week break.

Wednesday 3 June 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifGloucestershire v Northamptonshire (17:30 BST) 2.2 1.8 101.01 %
maximize.gifLeicestershire v Nottinghamshire (17:30 BST) 2.37 1.61 104.01 %
maximize.gifWorcestershire v Somerset (17:30 BST) 2.2 1.8 101.01 %
maximize.gifEssex v Sussex (19:00 BST) 1.72 2.26 102.14 %
Just the one for me tomorrow. A couple of shall I or shouldn't I's but I'll be disciplined and stick to a stronger single bet. 4pts Essex to beat Sussex 8/11 Stan James I took Essex on against Kent the other night but that wasn't a success and one bitten twice shy as they say so I'm not going to make that mistake again here. Essex are top of the South Group with 3 wins and a tie from their 4 matches which is all the more remarkable when you think they've played 2nd placed Kent twice. Sussex really need a win here coming into the game in 4th place having played a game more than everyone else and 2 more than Essex. Essex are depleted with world twenty20 call up's but it was a testament to their squad that without Bopara, ten Doeschate, Napier and Foster they could not only beat Kent but put up 205 in the process. Alastair Cook is on fire at the minute and Grant Flower played well the other night. They put up that 205 with Chopra, possibly their best batsman this season, not facing a ball and Hardinges - the potential long handle wielder not even needing to pad up. With the ball, Masters continues to be miserly and takes wickets while the bigger the rate required is the harder Kaneria gets to face. This could well be the same wicket as the other night so Flower and Middlebrook will be key with the ball too. Injuries and call up's aren't helping Sussex much either. They've lost Luke Wright and overseas star Yasir Arafat to the world twenty20 while Matt Prior and Chris Nash are both injured. Murraly Goodwin returned in the Sharks' comfortable win over Middlesex on Monday night but without Arafat and in some ways Wright, this attack looks like it could go for plenty, especially against a good batting lineup which Middlesex don't boast. There's plenty of spin options in their but Hamilton-Brown and Yardy are too part time ish for me and Will Beer isn't that experienced. I think Essex are the better side and certainly stronger man for man. I've made reference to fortress Chelmsford before and under the lights at the Ford County Ground I think the Eagles can pick up their 4th win in the competition.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Kev. Been following the thread for a week or so, had some nice winners (although I went against your advice and backed Yorkshire at Derbyshire - a game I went to - and was quids in) I am agreeing with you on the Essex bet and shall be adding this to my Acca today. Just a quick one, what do you make to the Leics vs Notts match? My initial reaction is that Leics are overpriced at 2.37 when you take into account that Nixon is in good form and Notts are now missing Sidebottom, Vogues, Swann, Broad etc. But they do still have Read and Patel who can be destructive against Leics if they don't bowl particularly well. Its a tough one but I might just lean towards the home advantage and take a chance on the bigger price in Leicestershire, but I'm mindful that Notts seem to be losing but scoring better than Leics. Suppose now I've talked it over it seems like a match that either side could win, so I might well just lump on Leics as the price seems to offer value.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2009 Middlesex were shocking once again yesterday. Could regret this later but three for today and nearly went for Sussex to overcome the Chelmsford curse as well but the probable loss of Arafat (not totally sure as he still played on mon) put me off. Gloucestershire to beat Northamptonshire 6/5 bet3 10 pts Dangerous here to oppose Northants who are unbeaten in this but that’s what I’m doing here. I feel that as impressive as northants have been in this, I have felt that in their last two games they have been slightly fortunate and perhaps it is no coincidence that those games were away from home. Wath played a late wonder knock to nick a game at worc and then warw had an awful batting display in the last ten over needing just virtually a run a ball of the last ten and with wickets in hand, only to throw it away a come up short. At home they had two easy wins but in those two games they arguably could/should have lost and at Bristol it wont be that easy even if Gloucester have been slow to hit their strides in this. Gloucester have started the season well enough in most comps except this one. However there is still some quality in their team with the likes of spearman, marshall, gidman and taylor. Their bowling went round the park in the last game but equally had performed really well to restrict Somerset at taunton when needing ‘only’ 160. Something just tells me that Gloucester, at home, might nick this one. Somerset to beat Worcestershire 4/5 sj 10 pts I fancy there could be quite a lot of runs in this one. Both these sides have a lot of firepower with the bat. Somerset’s have been well documented before but Worcester too have firepower in the form of their opening duo although whether or not they quite have the firepower down the order like Somerset remains to be seen and that slightly tilts the balance to Somerset for me. Somerset’s lack of bowling has often been spoke of but to be fair so far in this event they have been pretty decent, restricting Glamorgan twice to less than 130 and even holding Gloucester to a fair 160. Worcester ‘s bowling on the other hand should not escape attention either. Noffke and Batty have been good so far but sometimes they have seen their fifth bowler go for a few and often that’s been Andrew who’s going at nearly 9 an over. Somerset have just lost one game so far in this and I think they can continue that record. Nottinghamshire to beat Leicestershire 8/13 sj 10 pts Prohibitive odds in some ways here for a team with just one win and missing some eng players but I still feel that Notts have too much depth here. Nottinghamshire may have lost 3 games in this so far but to be fair to them, some of those games have been tightish and decided by the odd wonder knock, ie. Benkenstein the other day. However there still is a lot of quality in their team and really a lot of their team would walk into this leic XI. The foxes were something of 20 20 specialists in the past but few remain from that team and they have struggled in more recent 20 20s. They did beat Durham once this year but that is their only success and they looked pretty ordinary against Lancashire in the tv game the other day. Big game this and I like the outlaws.