** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Newcastle 22/05

5.35 Newcastle Class 6 handicap over 10f with 16 runners, although I'd be surprised if there wasn't a few non runners on this soft surface. Safebreaker is a real consistent type and might be able to defy this mark but at a bigger price, I'll take my chance on: Bourse (RPF 10/1) - Owner / trainer sends this horse down from Scotland where I feel it will run a big race. Jockey gets on well with the stables horses and has a decent strike rate on them. Looks well handicapped and drop in grade sure to suit here, as is the prevailing ground. Jockey has only rode the horse once on turf, that was on soft ground, where it landed the spoils at 14/1. Let's hope a follow up occurs. Won at the end of last season on soft, in a Class 4 and 1lb higher than today. On that form, the horse is sure to go well. Since then, has has 2 run over sticks, 2 on unsuitable AW, and 3 more on turf. There were off marks of 69 in a Class 4, 65 in a Class 5 and 66 in a Class 4. Now back to 63 in a Class 6, should prove significant. Not disgraced in any of those runs and best one was the most recent when upped to 9f, staying on well at the end. The extra furlong again will suit and, facing an easier task than it has for a while, is sure to go close.

Re: Newcastle 22/05 i'm going to put 3 selections up, all of them handle the soft ground and stay a bit further than the distance they are running at tomorrow, Newcastle can become a real slog when the rain arrives. another plus is that my first 2 selections are both running very well at the moment. 3.20 Kings maiden betfair 11/2 4.30 Ancient cross betfair 9/2 5.05 Woteva betfair 10/1 i expect those prices to go shorter than they are now.

Re: Newcastle 22/05 4.30 Newcastle Although he must prove he acts on the surface, Mark of Meydan looks to hold claims on his handicap debut off a rating of 72. He placed in a Pontefract maiden on his debut on Gd/Sft but this ground is slower today. However, I'm willing to take a gamble as in that Pontefract race he was only a couple of lengths off Strawberry Moon (won a handicap off 71 recently) and then next time out at Doncaster he was a good second to Harrison George, a horse that has developed into a smart sprinter and has picked up races off 83, and looks sure to win others this season in the top handicaps. He was third on his reappearance at Southwell 25-days ago, staying on over a shorter trip, and that performance hints he may well act on soft ground here too. 6/1 Skybet, 0.75 pt

Re: Newcastle 22/05 aston lad 320 newc. 0.5 pts ew. fit from the jumps and the bit of rain getting into the ground will be of big help to him. has the form and ability to win this and with racing off a mark of 45 it all points to giving him every chance. bit concerned about the pace of the race, as he would ideally want further than todays distance, but the ground will help in that respect.

Re: Newcastle 22/05

SportHorse Racing
Event4.30 Newcastle
SelectionAncient Cross (bog)
Strength10/10
Date22/05/2009
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 4.50 (Back)
ReasoningConsistent sort who rarely runs a bad race and although he is still a maiden, there is little wrong with his attitude. Has been very unlucky on his last two occasions. Finished 4th at this venue two starts back but was badly hampered a furlong out and finished very well, possibly would have won with a clear passage. He then missed the break at Southwell a few days ago but still finished 3rd behind a progressive sort in Miss Glitters. A mark of 67 is not beyond him and with conditions in his favour he should put up a bold show.

Re: Newcastle 22/05 2.10 newcastle-reeds bay. of those that have run(lucky rave-non runner) in this contest REEDS BAY,has shown the best form(3rd in decentish haydock maiden),the horse that finished 4th in that same contest won next time out,so the form doent look too bad in the context of this race. as a son of MONSIUER BOND he shouldnt mind the soft ground(although there's no guarantee that will be the case!!),its just the imponderable of whether the expensive newcomer(ARABIAN PRIDE) riden by FRANK SPENCER is above average,nevertheless i,m willing to take on SPENCER and i have a small bet on REEDS BAY.

Re: Newcastle 22/05 2.45 Newcastle - FINAL VICTORY (win) Really keen on this one's chance this afternoon. Debuted at Newbury last October in what looks a decent maiden in retrospect, over a trip that was always going to be too short. Final Victory finished about 5L behind the winner, Skanky Biscuit, who went on to finish 3rd in the Racing Post Trophy on his next start and has been given a mark of 110. Even allowing for that being an unreliable guide to the ability of Final Victory, the form of others in the race, like Bothy, Tactic, Decorum, Brunston, lead me to to think Final Victory is well worthy of a mark in the low 80s. That view is reinforced by his reappearance run over 12f behind King Of Wands and Wild Rhubarb. Wild Rhubarb took a handicap very cosily nto and has been bumped up to 83, whilst King of Wands ran well yesterday off 80. Orthology is the biggest danger, on form, but looked to find the 12f trip too far lto at Newmarket and the soft ground up here today will do him no favours in that respect. Bagber I'd have as about 6 or 7lbs inferior to the selection, whilst Kaloni's only turf run, albeit her debut, was inferior to her all weather runs.