** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

English Greyhound Derby 2009

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 Here are my antepost wagers for the Derby thus far: 1.Westmead Ace at 100/1:Has a similar profile to one of the all time greats, Westmead Hawk, and is sure to be the kind of dog that may not blitz the competition but has a great chance to qualify coming from off the pace. 2.Ballymac Under at 66/1: Was the ante post favourite for the 2008 competition at odds of 8/1 only for it to be eliminated in the early rounds.Surely the dog has matured though, and has to be backed at ten times the price it was a year ago 3.Deanridge Fury at 40/1: Is coming into form at the right time, and beat one of the favourites Jesters Nap over course and distance only last night! 4.Me Buddy at 150/1: One of the fastest greyhounds from the traps I have seen in years, but for me theres a questionmark whether its got the stamina to hold of dogs over 480m, plus the three runs in a week could prove its undoing.However, if it cracks out in every round it should qualify, and at 150/1 is worth a small each way wager, if it runs 5.London Walter at 200/1.Now heres an interesting price.A consistent greyhound, who is capable of mixing it at the top level but is under most peoples radar.Last night it ran well against Wise Thought over both course and distance - which is 20/1 for derby glory.Its also ran well against Jesters Nap recently too.Worth a decent investment if it runs,

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 Ive started another thread under the horse racing section but I'll add my selections to this thread as well. All bets 1pt e/w 1/4 odds 6 places (a place in the final and the each way money is in the bag - this offer with most likely be reduced to 4 places once the competition gets underway so get on now!)

Tyrur Hestor skybet66-1
Bandicoot Tipoki skybet40-1
Windy Millar skybet66-1
Farloe Merlin skybet100-1
Farloe Reason totes40-1
Kinda Ready boyles100-1
Thurlsbeg Joker skybet50-1

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 You insist on backing Farloe Reason every year mate! Still its a class act, and Charlie Lister knows how to get them ready for a tilt at the Derby.If it wins the first couple of rounds then it could rapidly become one of the jollies

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 Would never bet AP on the dogs - too much can happen in the heats but I would say Fear Zafonic and Boherna Best are by far the quickest competitors out there but I see that there are no prices for the Irish Derby winner Shelbourne Aston - the Betfair site are saying that Shel B will go to Wimbledon this year and therefore must enter the equation

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 Hi guys! I don't follow the greyhounds but I received a tip from someone with connections in Ireland and he said they have 25,000 euros riding on HEAD ITON ELLIS,he also had a decent bet on it,I've got a small wager on it at 50/1 to win.Am I mad or has it got any sort of chance?:loon.

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009

Would never bet AP on the dogs - too much can happen in the heats but I would say Fear Zafonic and Boherna Best are by far the quickest competitors out there but I see that there are no prices for the Irish Derby winner Shelbourne Aston - the Betfair site are saying that Shel B will go to Wimbledon this year and therefore must enter the equation
I'm off the opinion that the only way to get value on a fancied dog is to back it antepost. The favourites are often criminally short on a round to round basis. I agree that you are trusting to luck everytime they fly into that first bend, but having only to finish third to progress, the better dogs can recover from setbacks to sneak through. Shelbourne Aston is currently a best price of 50/1 and I wouldn't put you off backing it. A powerful dog with natural stamina he will be coming off the pace to qualify through the early rounds. However, were he to reach the semi's and even final the earlier paced dogs may well just steal enough of a march to keep him at bay (the English derby trip is slighter shorter than the Irish equivalent and Aston needed every yard to land his victory at Shelbourne park last year.)

Hi guys! I don't follow the greyhounds but I received a tip from someone with connections in Ireland and he said they have 25' date='000 euros riding on HEAD ITON ELLIS,he also had a decent bet on it,I've got a small wager on it at 50/1 to win.Am I mad or has it got any sort of chance?:loon.[/quote'] Come be interesting mate. Ellis is a best price of 66/1 with several English firms. However, he is only 33/1 with Irelands biggest bookmaker Paddy Power. It is obviously respected over the water and could be an interesting dark horse at a decent price, one thing I have learned down the years is that when the irish come with money for their own its usually a good thing.

I'm off the opinion that the only way to get value on a fancied dog is to back it antepost. The favourites are often criminally short on a round to round basis. I agree that you are trusting to luck everytime they fly into that first bend, but having only to finish third to progress, the better dogs can recover from setbacks to sneak through. Shelbourne Aston is currently a best price of 50/1 and I wouldn't put you off backing it. A powerful dog with natural stamina he will be coming off the pace to qualify through the early rounds. However, were he to reach the semi's and even final the earlier paced dogs may well just steal enough of a march to keep him at bay (the English derby trip is slighter shorter than the Irish equivalent and Aston needed every yard to land his victory at Shelbourne park last year.)
Some good points Jimmy but remember that you are backing a dog over 4/5 races not one. The recent Scottish Derby was won by a dog that was short priced AP and was a short priced to post dog. At these big events it is worth remembering that it is the dog that wins more often than the value There will be some value in the heats - where there can be some big priced winners due to trap selections and some short priced fancies losing out consequently Some of Lister's dogs will take to Wimbledon - big straights will help Shel B An intriguing contest ahead - good luck with your AP selections:hope

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 I will be on the terraces for the final again as I have been for the past four years. Hopefully with at least one dog left to take its chance for the glory. Lucky enough to have 3 antepost selections in last years final, I'm not expected that to happen again for a very long time!

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 The only difference with Shelbourne Aston this year is that prior to his Irish Derby performance last year, there was significant momey for his with various bookmakers on both sides of the pond.This money seems to be lacking so far prior to the Derby, suggestion connections confidence is lesser than previously.I see there has been money today across the offices for Kinda Ready, now best price 66/1 and Deanridge Fury which is into 25s.The money for the former is notable, as it hasnt ran for a month since finishing second to strong fancy bandicoot tipoki at Monmore so confidence must be high.Deanridge Fury flew round over course and distance on Saturday so perhaps his support is more obvious.One at a larger price supported today is Westmead Wings who is now best priced 80/1, even although it has been a beaten favourite in its last three starts, twice odds on.I believe the entries have to be in by Wednesday, so the markets could be active over the next few days.

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 A quick point from me regarding Head Iton Ellis. 66s seems a fair shout, although if you look at its last four runs in Shawfield it keeps getting badly crowded at the first bend.Saying that the scottish track has a much shorter run to the bend, and it will have more of a chance of avoiding that kind of thing in Wimbledon in my book.Another plus is that any dog that can beat Bandicoot Tipoki by 7 lengths - as he did in January - has to be brought into consideration.

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 See Goldcrest King is very big - 6/1 for tonight's final at Hall Green...maybe worth a nibble - along with trap 6, who is a massive price. Favourite is certainly trap 1 and will win if leads but trap 2 has a habit of going to the rails -not assured a bump free run. Just a nibble then on 3 or 6

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 The final declarations are in and 147 dogs will take their chance in this years Blue Square Greyhound Derby. A few notbale absentees headed by College Causeway and also Thurlsbeg Joker otherwise all the main contenders are in. The first round draw takes place on Sunday after which we can start to look for some value for the following weekends opening heats.

Good selection on Blonde Fern' date=' I see its been clipped to 100s for the Derby, but doubt its got either the early or the all round pace to go far into the competition[/quote'] Agreed...very unpredictable dog but if drawn correctly could upset a few Looking forward to the heats:ok

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 Manic Miner is a solid greyhound who has been on the open race scene for a couple of seasons now. Has no trouble getting the 480, in fact has tended to run on nicely over the trip. Never done it in the big competitions though and if connections didn't see fit to enter it in last years Derby diffcult to see how it can be good enough to make the latter stages this year. I'd personally prefer to take a 100/1 puppy open to improvements rather than a 100/1 older dog with no real pedigree for mixing it at the highest level.

Jimmy you seen to know a bit any thoughts on maniac miner? big price at the moment' date=' liked his recent run back from a layoff, plus 100/1 I think may be worth a shout+[/quote'] Good shout, Manic Miner has ran well twice since its return and was well thought of at one stage. In my opinion there is a standout dog at a massive price and thats Coolavanny Dart at 300/s with blue square.It hasnt finished out of the first three in its last 9 starts and coud be the dark horse. Theres also currently 12 quid available to back Romeo turbo at 1000/1 on betfair, but the market is currently suspended.Obviously people thought it wouldnt run since it has been out of action since November but was only 50s last year and got reasonably far.If its still available when the market is open, Im going to snap it up.Advantage Johnny is also tempting at a three figure price, dont expect that to be the case for long!

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 Interest moves today for three entrees: Westmead Osprey is getting backed and is now a best price of 40/1 largely due to the name in my opinion, it doesnt warrant being any shorter thats for sure.Fatboyz Nodrog is now into 50/1 after being 125/1 with bet365 a fortnight ago.There is now a bit of movement on Ja Mann which is still available at 66/1 but not for long.It could be the connections lumping on.The draw is made for the first round tomorrow!

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 THE draw for the first round of the Blue Square Derby has been completed and is posted below.Advantage Johnny did not go into the draw. First four qualify from each heat.I am going to post my heat selections between now and Friday, feel free to do the same! FRIDAY Heat 1 1 Droopys Noel 2 vacant 3 Melodys Pat (m) 4 Mistley Colonel (w) 5 Romeo Out West (w) 6 Droopys Nicola (w) Heat 2 1 Masterful 2 Ja Mann 3 Tristar Dean 4Lazerus (m) 5 Droopys Taffy (w) 6 Greenwell Post (w) Heat 3 1 Outandgoodnight 2 Fear Zafonic 3 Jesters Nap (m) 4 Glynnscross Mal (m) 5 Greenwell River (m) 6 Kellsboro Reject (w) Heat 4 1 Ballymac Under 2 Pat Mustard 3 Fabulous Quest (w) 4 Barnfield Slippy (w) 5 Droopys Maestro (w) 6 Spot The Man (w) Heat 5 1 Cabra Cool 2 Mill Pinpoint 3 Fatboyz Nodrog (m) 4 Droopys Quinta (m) 5 Westmead Ace (w) 6 Southern Sunset (w) Heat 6 1 Ninja Jamie 2 Blonde Dino (m) 3 Drumna Willow (m) 4 Lenson Joker (m) 5 Rocky Rocket (w) 6 King Edward (w) Heat 7 1 Kryptonite 2 Romeo Del Piero 3 Love Mac 4 Westmead Osprey 5 Hillcross Hobbs (m) 6 Swift N Smart (w) Heat 8 1 Kengyelfuto Snow 2 Ballymac Ruso 3 Goldcrest King 4 Baran Pedro (m) 5 Alfie Sparra (m) 6 Kylegrove Cougar (w) Heat 9 1 vacant 2 Royal Hunter 3 Tonduff Turmoil (m) 4 Leave Me (w) 5 Penn Razle (w) 6 Cabra Boss (w) Heat 10 1 Headford Honcho 2 Windy Millar (m) 3 Wise Thought (w) 4 Tasty Rambler (w) 5 Eye Onthe Pulse (w) 6 Boherna Best (w) Heat 11 1 Droopys Lee 2 Farloe Can Do 3 Glenard Sunrise 4 Ballymac Bull (m) 5 Fire For Effect (w) 6 Kindred Sparky (w) Heat 12 1 Centaur Allstar 2 Balliniska Woods (m) 3 Ravello Drive (m) 4 Go Gucci Go (m) 5 Toosey Blue (w) 6 Sky Bound (w) SATURDAY Heat 13 1 Cash Dream 2 Starlight Shiraz (m) 3 Skelligs Risk (m) 4 Lenson Flash (w) 5 Stop The Show (w) 6 Ebony Court (w) Heat 14 1 Lenson Smoothie 2 Superhods Lady 3 Forest Master 4 Farney King (m) 5 Side Bet (m) 6 Tyrur Kerril (m) Heat 15 1 Directors Fire 2 Cabra Fly 3 Shelbourne Denny (m) 4 Mothball (m) 5 Bubbly Totti (w) 6 Secretariat (w) Heat 16 1 Seanies Lad 2 Slick Ace 3 Castlehill Pat (m) 4 Blonde Fern (w) 5 Plassey (w) 6 Green Mentor (w) Heat 17 1 Shelbourne Aston 2 Lord Karl 3 Side Leg (w) 4 Roswell Startrek (w) 5 Romeo Turbo (w) 6 Bonville Brett (w) Heat 18 1 Deanridge Ammo 2 Lenson Express 3 Head Iton Ellis 4 Marbeck Wonder (m) 5 Carrowkeal Babs (m) 6 Droopys Director (w) Heat 19 1 Eye Onthe Brave 2 Glenard Rocket 3 Coolavanny Dart (m) 4 Franks Lad (w) 5 Soviet Maldini (w) 6 Tyrur Kenny (w) Heat 20 1 Live Money 2 Tobys Back 3 Kinda Ready 4 Malbay Fletcher 5 Farloe Reason 6 Wise Opinion (w) Heat 21 1 Deanridge Zeus 2 Raving Black 3 Iceman Vader 4 Drink Up Zorro 5 Tyrur Hestor (w) 6 Dotland Hit Man (w) Heat 22 1 Eye Eye Pickle 2 Barnfield On Air 3 Drumna Classic (m) 4 London Walter (m) 5 Manic Mile (w) 6 Mountjoy Ruby (w) Heat 23 1 Nutty Nod 2 Attykitt Admiral 3 Bandicoot Tipoki 4 Slip The Lark (m) 5 Kinda Easy (m) 6 Futuristic Geeza (w) Heat 24 1 Bomber Blue 2 Jogadusc Ace 3 Blue Gent (m) 4 Greenwell Cool (w) 5 Deanridge Fury (w) 6 Lavey Vieri (w)

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 I am going to preview every heat prior to Friday.Here are the first 6 heats, with more to follow. Heat 1:Selection 3-1-4 Melodys Pat is the clear choice for me here.It ran well in last years competition and was favourite when getting knocked out behind eventual champion Loyal Honcho.It should have ample room in maintaining a position at the first bemd thanks to a vacant trap next door, and willl be too strong for Droopys Noel who was well beaten by Fear Zafonic in a recent outing,this years ante post favourite.Mistley Colonel is worth a punt to qualify in third as stays longer than the mother in law and could sneak through.Romeo out west should be renamed after the race, as its chances will head south as soon as the lids rise. Heat 2:Selection 2-1-6 Ja Mann has been attracting notable support in recent days, and its apparent that the Irish are lumping on despite its two defeats on these shores.Provided it avoids a collision with forecast choice Masterful out of the traps - which ran well against Fear Zafonic last time out - it should complete the formalities with a few lengths to spare.The third spot is a difficult one to sort out,but will opt for Tristar Dean to wrestle it from Lazeros who can qualify.Droopy Taffys Derby aspirations will come to a sticky end for connections Heat 3:Selection 3-2-4 What a heat!Two of the ante post jollies in Fear Zafonic and Jesters Nap collide in potentially the heat of the round.At the probable heat prices I will opt for Jesters Nap to pip Zafonic on this occasion as I reckon Zafonic is no value at possible 1/2 odds.Holding a victory over him already, I will take a speculative punt that he can repeat the performance so please connections.The only slight worry is a collision at the bend, which would possibly play into the hands of Kellsboro Reject as the sole wide runner.Glynnscrow Mal is no mug and shouldnt be 500/1 ante post.Greenwell River can expect choppy waters to throw him off course. Heat 4:Selection 1-4-5 Ballymac Under was ante post favourite before early elimination last year,and went on to run creditably in the Irish equivalent.Perfectly housed against the rail, it should avoid any trouble and hold on to beat Barnfield Slippy who can run over further distances.Fabulous Quest can qualify in third and if you scratch its most recent performance has been incredibly consistent.Pat mustards chances must be taken with a pinch of salt. Heat 5:Selection 5-3-1 A heat where any dog can win in my opinion.Cabra Cool won this years Scottish Derby which ultimately will prove the kiss of death for this attempts at Plough Lane.My selection is between Fatboys Nodrog and Westmead Ace with the slight preference going to the latter who has finished in the top 3 over its last 9 starts and ran well against flying machine Tyrur Hestor only last week.There has been money for the former though and I expect a ding dong battle right to the line.Reverse forecast could be a cheeky play.Droopys Quinta has been missing more kicks than the Middlesborough defence and Southern Sunset isnt good enough. Heat 6:Selection 1-6-4 Ninja Jamie is going to be my nap of the night, albeit as odds on surely.The sole railer, it should blast to the bend ahead of last years finalist Blonde Dino and never look back.Charlie Lister knows how to get them ready and after perhaps failing to deliver ante post in the last year or so can get off to a flyer.I expect the fastest time of the night.King Edward is a reliable sort who can benefit from the 6 box to just beat Lenson Joker into second.Lenson Joker has been a cracker over the last couple of years but I think Blonde Dino wont be laughing who could face a shock early exit as a result of this tough heat.:ok Nap

Re: English Greyhound Derby 2009 Heat 10 looks a cracker - some big names could go here Good tussle ahead for heat 5 - have a soft spot for Millpoint and Cabra Cool - they are both good dogs and have returned some profit for me this year Fear Zafonic and Jesters Nap in the early heat 3 contest - would fancy both to make the final Thanks to Kev for posting all the details...good on yer:ok

Manic Minor non runner?? cant seem him in heats :(
Sorry Woodie its a typo, he is in heat 22 trap 5! A very competitive heat where all 6 stand a chance in my book.If it can outpace Mountjoy Ruby up to the first corner it will be perfectly positioned to test Eye Eye Pickle and Barney On Air down the back straight.Arguably the most even heat - no absolute rags in my book