AFL Round 1

Re: AFL Round 1 Yeah, I'm here...but not much good this week I'm afraid. :\ Managed to get a virus on my laptop and lose all of last year's stats...in the process of 'rebuilding', but as a coincidence most of this weeks games were rd. 1 last year also...the only week I don't actually physically have. :wall Expecting a close one tonight...Carlton with 4 new faces, plus some slight injury concerns with Fev...but Richmond aren't a good team. Tough one to pick with any great confidence, imo. Same deal with Geelong tomorrow. Ellis, Ladson definately out...Brown and Birchill look questionable...and Cats in menicing form in the NAB final, but Hawthorn have a very good recent record. Bit surprised Hawks are 3 goal dogs, but tough to take in the circumstances. Pissed off I didn't take Sydney +22.5 early in the week. Reckon they're a decent chance of knocking off St. Kilda. Saints won just one of last 6 meetings by more than 2 points! (And 2 again last year)... ...every year it's the same story out of Sydney...too old, lost players, crap in pre-season (Roos has never won a NAB Cup game!), yet time and time again they're contenders. (Have lost just one Rd. 1 game by more than 2 in the last 6 years too...) No Hayes for StK...Riewoldt definately struggling if he plays at all...building whispers about Goddard missing, and Zac Dawson as a 'key' defender! :eek They have their problems... 3.00 for the Swans certainly not the worst look of the week. Kangas and Port both too strong, look likely winners at reasonable prices (1.30-1.35ish). I suspect Freo could be a bit strong for the Dogs with Cooney/Murphy/Aker all dubious (and Williams named Emg, even tho he won't play!)... ...think the Dockers surprised a few of us (Fantasy players the most!) by not committing to a couple of rookies...probably tells us that this is one they think they can win aswell. Dogs won a tight one over there last year as favs, but had to storm home late to do it after a pretty big Freo choke. Anyway...hopefully a few of the regulars can get back into the AFL swing (BC, Ash, bc and a few others)... ...always good to see different views from knowledgable people...[even if things do get a bit 'spirited' in here occassionally :lol ] :cheers

Re: AFL Round 1 Going to try something new this year. I'm going to identify games where I think the dog is going to be very competitive, and take the favourite to lead at HT 1-12 (A trend I picked up on last season after taking favs 1-24, seeing them narrowly lead at HT and romp home in the 2nd half. So, Bet 1 of this little system is Carlton HT lead 1-12 @ 5.50. Btw, Where's Ash?

Re: AFL Round 1 I like the looks of Carlton against Richmond; Carlton are still young but improved a lot last year. Looking for some good 4 quarter efforts this year and under a fit Chris Judd leadership I can see them winning 15-16 games this year. Richmond will challenge for the 8 but their depth is questionable; they have some excellent senior players in Cousins, Richardson and Brown which will make them ultra competitive but I just question their defensive backline. The only time they can play adequate defence is when they shut down the whole game and switch the flood on, the only problem is that it doesn't play to their strengths which is quick footy to their quality forwards. Calrton will play their free flowing, high scoring game and Richmond will probably switch the flood on which will get them no where. Carlton to win it comfortably 1-39 margin, plus h2h for me

Re: AFL Round 1 I know this is a little late however sportingbet.com.au now has a market where you can back certain players for Dreamteam points. I took Dean Cox to be the highest scoring ruckman of the round @ $2.75. Also, for the Hawks, Tuck injured his arm at training on Monday for the Hawks so it would be unlikely that he will line up. I would expect either Stokes or Thorp to cover his position. Ah, its great footy is back! :beer

Re: AFL Round 1 Geelong and Hawks tonight. I like the look of the Cats in this position; they looked excellent in the NAB Cup, they played with attitude and they played with purpose. I expect plenty of passion and niggle in this game and I'm not sure how silly Hawthorn and going to get, the Cat will hopefully play with contorlled aggression. As far as personnel goes, they both have excellent line ups and are the 2 top flag contenders this year. Hawks aren't quite at full strength yet, but in saying that neither is Geelong. The Hawks will keep Geelong honest and give them a tight contest but the cats will be too good on the day. They really do look like an ominous site this year the Cats. I'm on the Cats 1-39 and also Cats to lead at all 4 quarters.

Re: AFL Round 1 No mention of the Lions vs WCE game tho I can understand why. Its' a poor game to pick with too many uncertainties. The Lions @ $1.25 is a serious joke and think the Eagles at the +26.5 line is worth a small flutter especially if S Black doesn't play. I'll be interested in seeing what the Over/Under will be for the Saints-Swans game as they are usually low-scoring affairs.

Re: AFL Round 1 Collingwood vs Adelaide game looks interesting. The pies are clear favourites, had a good pre season and a nice blend of youth and experience for the coming season. As per usual I think they're youngsters are a little over-hyped, they have a solid squad but not a great one. A quick looks through Adelaide's roster and you'd think they would struggle this season, they've always been good defensively but their midfield is not elite (competitive and approving but not in the top 5 in the league) but their perennial problem has been attack. They don't have an established key forward, just a collection of contirbutors and developing youngsters. The vic press has already written them off this season, with the overwhelming majority saying they'll finish 8th-12th. I say write Neil Craig off at your own risk, he's never had the best skilled players on his list yet his teams are always competitive and keep the other team honest. I like the look of the crows this year, they have some nice young players and if they can get a good functioning forward structure they'll be alot better than people think, I honestly think they'll challenge for the 4. I'll take the +23.5 Crows, wouldn't suprise me if they won straight up. Also worth looking at the under 188.5 is the line at bet365