** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Lengths beaten question

Does anyone knows how many feet does a length has ? (the way officials results calculate them). So if the second horse was 3 length behind the first how many feet is this? Is it calculated the same way regardless of race age ( lets say 3y only,4+,etc.),regardless of the race class etc?

Re: Lengths beaten question

Is it calculated the same way regardless of race age ( lets say 3y only,4+,etc.),regardless of the race class etc?
I have no idea about trying to convert the times to feet, but this is how the distances are calculated Dices. This is the NEW way distances are now calculated ( Officialy ) ======================================================= Distances Are calculated by the photo-finish computer, they were calculated using four lengths per second for jumps racing and five lengths per second for Flat racing. However, from Monday Feb 25th 2008 they will be calculated as follows: For Flat racing they will be calculated as: Five lengths per second for AW Fibresand and when the going is soft or worse, and Six lengths per second for AW Polytrack and going of good to soft or better. For Jumps racing they will be calculated as: Four lengths per second when the going is good to soft or worse and Five lengths per second when the going is good or better. ======================================================

Re: Lengths beaten question An example: for a horse in a race after 25 Feb 2008 at AW fibresand, for every 5 lengths behind the winners i add 1 sec. If it is behind 31/4 lengths i add 3.75/5*1=0.75sec. His time will be: winners time + 0.75 Am i correct?

Re: Lengths beaten question So, individual finishing times are recorded but in final results they are changed into "beaten lengths" to become more "attractive",more "simple"? Am i right? Trilobite where did you find the "way of calculation" ? Any links?

Re: Lengths beaten question Its been a couple of years since i did my software, but looking at my code i have in comment : '5 lengths behind the winner = 1 second ( so 5 * 0.2 = 1) AW Fibresand and when the going is soft or worse on TURF 'Six lengths per second for AW Polytrack and going of good to soft or better on TURF ' 6 lengths behind the winner = 1 second ( so 6 * 0.16666666666666666666666666666667 = 1) If what_length_calc = "5L" Then Temp = (beaten_distance * 0.2) ElseIf what_length_calc = "6L" Then Temp = (beaten_distance * 0.166666666666667) Else MsgBox "blah blah......" End If The_time = Winning_Time + Temp And a bit further up is my code is my conversion for the html fractions :) temp_len = Replace(temp_len, "¼", ".25") 'quarter temp_len = Replace(temp_len, "½", ".50") 'half temp_len = Replace(temp_len, "¾", ".75") '3 quarters

I have no idea about trying to convert the times to feet, but this is how the distances are calculated Dices. This is the NEW way distances are now calculated ( Officialy ) ======================================================= Distances Are calculated by the photo-finish computer, they were calculated using four lengths per second for jumps racing and five lengths per second for Flat racing. However, from Monday Feb 25th 2008 they will be calculated as follows: For Flat racing they will be calculated as: Five lengths per second for AW Fibresand and when the going is soft or worse, and Six lengths per second for AW Polytrack and going of good to soft or better. For Jumps racing they will be calculated as: Four lengths per second when the going is good to soft or worse and Five lengths per second when the going is good or better. ======================================================
Glad I popped in here, i did not know this, This certainly makes a difference to my distance betting,andNow I know why will hill offer such short odds for middle all the time,and good odds for the over

• 2 months later...

Re: Lengths beaten question The latest chance as found here: http://betting.betfair.com/horse-racing/betting-strategy/post-182-010409.html

Between 1997 and early in 2008, the official conversion in place was five lengths-per-second on the Flat and 4 over jumps, regardless of the fact that horses will finish at vastly different speeds under different circumstances.

The following conversions have been in place since 15th June 2008 : * Good or quicker turf, and polytrack at Kempton, Lingfield and Wolverhampton = 6 lengths per second

* From good (good to soft in places) to Good to soft (Soft in places), and polytrack at Great Leighs = 5.5 lengths per second

* Soft (good to soft in places) and softer, and fibresand at Southwell = 5 lengths per second.

The latest chance as found here: http://betting.betfair.com/horse-racing/betting-strategy/post-182-010409.html
Well who knows ... :unsure