** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

New to poker, well played or risky?

1907zico

PokerStars Spiel #25077334633: Turnier #141766091, $3.00+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 18.02.2009 14:11:30 MEZ [18.02.2009 8:11:30 ET] Tisch '141766091 1' 6-max Platz #2 ist der Dealer Platz 1: 1907zico (1500 in Chips) Platz 2: freball (1490 in Chips) Platz 3: gurujax (1400 in Chips) Platz 4: 64bits (1240 in Chips) Platz 5: Waldek66 (1870 in Chips) Platz 6: carib chic (1500 in Chips) gurujax: setzt Small Blind: 10 64bits: setzt Big Blind: 20 *** HOLE CARDS *** 1907zico bekommt: [Kh Kc] Waldek66: geht mit 20 carib chic: passt 1907zico: geht mit 20 freball: passt gurujax: geht mit 10 64bits: erhöht 60 auf 80 Waldek66: passt 1907zico: erhöht 60 auf 140 gurujax: passt 64bits: geht mit 60 *** FLOP *** [4s 8d 5h] 64bits: checkt 1907zico: checkt *** TURN *** [4s 8d 5h] [5d] 64bits: setzt 120 1907zico: erhöht 1240 auf 1360 und ist All-in 64bits: geht mit 980 und ist All-in Der nicht gecallte Einsatz (260) ging zurück an 1907zico *** RIVER *** [4s 8d 5h 5d] [5s] *** SHOWDOWN *** 64bits: zeigt [Ad Kd] (Drilling, Fünfen) 1907zico: zeigt [Kh Kc] (Full House, Fünfen und Könige) 1907zico gewinnt 2520 aus dem Pot *** ZUSAMMENFASSUNG *** Pot gesamt: 2520 | Rake: 0 Board: [4s 8d 5h 5d 5s] Platz 1: 1907zico zeigt [Kh Kc] und gewinnt (2520) mit Full House, Fünfen und Könige Platz 2: freball (Dealer) passt vor dem Flop (hat nicht gesetzt) Platz 3: gurujax (Small Blind) passt vor dem Flop Platz 4: 64bits (Big Blind) zeigt [Ad Kd] und verliert mit Drilling, Fünfen Platz 5: Waldek66 passt vor dem Flop Platz 6: carib chic passt vor dem Flop (hat nicht gesetzt) First of all sry that it is German, but should be understable for you. Okay after flop both of us checked, and when I saw the 2nd 5 coming I decided to push all in. Sure I won that hand, but in my opinion it was quite risky after having a 2nd thought.. What do you think?:unsure

Re: New to poker, well played or risky? yep you played it pretty badly unless you were trying to trap him,luckily he played it worse:) i would have re-raised more preflop for a start, maybe up to 180-200. pretty much any flop is good for you here unless an ace falls, .this one is very good as its rainbow and unless they have hit a set or have aces your ahead:ok you still want to bet the flop but maybe not heavily ,so say 200/250(if you had bet the 200 preflop) this might induce a checkraise or a call from overcards. the turn is a good card really ,its unlikely they have a 5 unless they are pretty loose(they raised from early position) .the only bad thing is the flush draw, with another card to come you want them to pay for it ,if they have it. so again bet ,about 400-500. the river makes your hand good and it's highly likely your ahead. in this situation he is pot commited and would probably call your bets down to the river ,if he called the flop. in your hand above he should have folded really when you went all in on the river(i can sort of see why he called but it does seem like a bad call). so you would have picked up a couple of hundred chips, not doubled thru:\ even if he had folded on the flop you would still be picking up the a few hundred chip pot , by betting your either getting safe money or making the pot larger which you want from your big hands.

Re: New to poker, well played or risky?

Sure I won that hand' date=' but in my opinion it was quite risky after having a 2nd thought.. What do you think?:unsure[/quote'] I think it's brilliant that you're asking that question and, IMO shows an understanding of something that a lot of established players just dont get. Results of individual hands in poker mean nothing. You can play a hand brilliantly (and perfectly) and lose. You can play a hand appalingly and win. The skill in poker comes not from winning individual hands, but from pushing small edges for long enough to show a profit. The fact that you appear to understand that well (and intuitively), will I think be a massive help to you :ok

Definitely :ok If you're up against opponents who will pay you off with worse hands - charge them what you think they will pay you :ok
Yeah but even in such "low" buy in singletable tournaments people tend to fold very fast, but they do pay off really nice when you slow play and they expect you to have a bad hand. How do you handle with pocketpairs at the very beginning in such tables when you guess people will be careful.. same strategy?

Yeah but even in such "low" buy in singletable tournaments people tend to fold very fast, but they do pay off really nice when you slow play and they expect you to have a bad hand. How do you handle with pocketpairs at the very beginning in such tables when you guess people will be careful.. same strategy?
I'm not sure I agree :unsure I think the biggest error people at this level make are that they call too often :unsure If "effective stacks" are at least 20xBB then non premium pocket pairs I will often set mine - look to get to the flop as cheaply as possible and hope to flop a set (about 7.5-1) - will play it pretty transparently - build a pot if I hit, keep it small if I miss.

I'm not sure I agree :unsure I think the biggest error people at this level make are that they call too often :unsure If "effective stacks" are at least 20xBB then non premium pocket pairs I will often set mine - look to get to the flop as cheaply as possible and hope to flop a set (about 7.5-1) - will play it pretty transparently - build a pot if I hit, keep it small if I miss.
Quite got what you mean, but could you explain me what you mean with "about 7.5-1"? :$

Re: New to poker, well played or risky? I agree with guys, that your re raise preflop is way to low. In low buy ins tournaments and first two levels, I rise at least 10x (top 3 pairs) and if few limped in, even more. You will always get a caller (s). If no one calls you are still a winner. Id rather take 100 chips, than let some one hit two, crappy pairs and take your entire stack. And welcome to this side of the forum :ok.

Re: New to poker, well played or risky? Agree Heniek. Well I am happy I asked because there is always something to learn, especially when your a quite new to something (sure I watched poker a lot, but playing for money yourself then is something really different). My first impression when I looked around in the Poker section got strengthen, with guys like you its very enjoyable to ask question because one can always know to get some quality feedback. Good luck with your hands and hopefully cya around in here :ok

ah now if it was a big money deepstack tourney then it might be worth trying to play the way you did,in a $3 stt chances are you will get at least one person pay you off well most of the time. part of the reason is that its a low buyin and there will be another along in a minute. with any big pocket pair you really want to be playing someone with a very good holding ,but not quite as good as yours;) you dont want to be up against people with low pairs or connectors because they can fold easily for not a lot of chips, or take you for your whole stack:\ so an early good sized raise weeds out the hands you really dont want a call from and usually hooks those you do want to be playing:ok

Re: New to poker, well played or risky? As to slow playing big pairs there's nothing wrong with it it's good to try new things etc but if a horrid flop comes down like 224 or 245 etc then you got to learn to fold as there is a big chance someone has you beat in an unraised pot when you get a board come down like that. Personally I hate slow playing and I would never limp in with a big pp if you do see me limp into a pot and am first person to do so then it's usually a misclick.

so an early good sized raise weeds out the hands you really dont want a call from and usually hooks those you do want to be playing:ok
Yeah I did not considered that aspect when I decided to set up a slow play. In this case had good luck with the flop, but what you say makes sense and I think it would have been the better play actually :ok