Riding weights

Jockeys put themselves through hell to get down to their required weights. Why can't the BHA put the miniumum riding weights up? It would make life easier for jockeys if they only had to get down to say 9-0 instead of 8-0. Or would this be a problem for the juveniles that aren't as strong as their elders... could they not handle having heavier jockeys on their backs? I only mean put the weights up to something within reason, I mean it wouldn't look great from an aesthetics point of view to see 12 stone jockeys racing, thats if the horses can take that weight anyway.

Re: Riding weights They did it a few years ago when the minimum weight was raised from 7 stone 7 lbs............to whatever it is now. I think the argument for keeping weights fairly low is more to do with young jockeys rather than young horses..........if the minimum weight was 9 stone then little 'uns like probert or girls might never get a chance to ride.............the advantage they have is that they only weigh 8 stone so there's no 'dead weight' on the horse ? Of course, over time that would rectify as bigger people went into the profession and little 7 stone weaklings would have to look for a different career