Question on Racing post info

Re: Question on Racing post info Also right under the horses name, when looking at the card with colours, there are the letters b g or sometimes ch g. When looking at the Horse Form page these letters are next to the horses age/date of birth. What do these letters b g mean ?

Question on Racing post info Hi Datapunter the number 12 is the number of days since last race D has won over distance C has won on the course CD has won over course and distance BF means beaten favourite the letters next to the horses age are the colour of the horse b=black or brown ch=chestnut gr=grey the next letter g is the gender ie g=gelding c=colt f=filly m=mare. all the best of luck

Guest Rossd1

Question on Racing post info Data, 12 - is the amount of days since last run D - means distance winner ie: it has won over this distance before BF - means beaten favorite CD - means course and distance winner F - it won on firm ground G - it won on good ground S - it won on soft ground Not sure about the others mate All the best Ross

Re: Question on Racing post info thanks guy's, to continue my horse racing education laugh.gif mare = a female horse filly = a young female horse colt = a young male horse gelding = a castratedembarassed.gif male horse When does a filly become a mare ? Do all male race horses get castrated ? If not when does a colt become a 'horse', so a not castrated male ? At what age, or under what conditions, does a colt get castrated ? And WHY, OH WHY, do race horses get castrated ?

Guest TheTrebleKing

Question on Racing post info i think the castration might be something to do with temperament, in mixed races the males might fight over the females i'd imagine, so they run geldings instead, not sure though.

Re: Question on Racing post info I also found the letter h with some horses like: 21 jul 2004 Sandow Polar Impact br h

and to answer my own question found this: www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1289100

Quote:

"Usually a horse is gelded because in his youth he is unmanageable," "He has too much testosterone. It makes him closer to a wild creature than any domesticated horse should be."

Re: Question on Racing post info Looking at the lifetime of a horse i can see its previous races, next to the date and location there is a text like this : 14Gd 16GS 10GF i know the letters are the GOING Gd = Good / GS = Good to Soft / Good to Firm. But what about the number ? I'm guessing its the distance as a number of furlongsunsure.gif, but then my question is : howmany furlongs go into a mile ?

Guest 2hotty

Question on Racing Post Info Data, I'm a new user and would like to help you a little. As far as i know at the age of 5 colts become horses and fillies mares. The poor wee horses that get castrated do so cos they can't concentrate on their races and just generally misbehave so its to ease their temprament. It can make a big difference to them, as colts that were s**t can be reasonbly good geldings. It depends aswell on future stallion value cos obviously a horse thats had its knackers off aint much use to anyone.

Question on Racing post info Hi Data I am back again having looked up some old racing books and came across the following Horse> a male entire (ungelded) horse of four years of age and above Colt> a male entire horse of less than four years of age Gelding> an emasculated male horse Mare> a female horse of four years of age and above Filly> a female horse of less than four years of age The mating of thoroughbreds in the Northern Hemisphere is restricted to the period between 15th February and 15th of July each year.The gestation period is eleven months,so most foals are born between mid January and mid June.All foals become yearlings on the first day of January following their birth and celebrate their birthdays every year on this date. hope this is useful and helps to pick some winners.

Re: Question on Racing post info thanks for taking the trouble 4949, now i know what i'm looking at. Now about weight :

Quote:

On race cards weights are in stones and pounds, for example '10-6' which means that the weight that the horse has to carry (which includes the tack, the jockey and any extra weights) is ten stones and six pounds.

Right, so they weigh the jockey and tack and then add actual weights to get to the assigned weight, right ? And after the race they weigh the jockey and tack again just to check, right ? Still looking at the Racing post i can see the weights on the card but sometimes there are letters too, what do the letters mean ? 9-13 9-11p 9-11w also letters v p w hb t

Guest ONEDUNME

Oh dear Is there any of this data that you DO understand Datapunter:lol Sorry, dont mean to offend. Am I right in thinking that football is the data that you're usually into? Surely there's a key to what everything means somewhere in the paper? Perhaps they mean... 9 stone 11 w (wet through) v (very wet) t (totally drenched) p (piss wet through)

Re: Oh dear laugh.gif @ Onedunme, knew you would be along ... Well, i did manage to figure this out :

Quote:

Yard: The base measurement in Britain. It's about 10% shorter than a metre. it's generally the
distance from one's nose to one's fingertips
when the arm is outstretched to the left or right. Mile: 1,760 yards or about 1½ kilometres. Furlong: 220 yards or one eighth of a mile. (Incidentally
a furlong is ten chains; a chain being the length of a cricket pitch
. Additionally, an area of land measuring one furlong by one chain is one acre).

Nice of you British to make it so simple wink.gif. Now if only i could figure out how long a cricket pitch is ... sad2.gif Wait a minute ... 90cm x 1760yards / 8furlongs / 10chains = 20meter ... well almost, unsure.gif , i think cry.gif No offence taken mate, so far i've only looked at the big picture and i wanna start digging a bit deeper, we can't all be a natural like yourself bowdown.gif. If there is a key somewhere i haven't found it ... obviously.

Guest ONEDUNME

Key OK, Someone tell me if Ive got any of this wrong 1. Bold Number - Racecard number. Usually, the horse with the lowest number carries the highest weight (2) In stall starts, this number in brackets indicates the stall number that the horse will start from - Important if the track has a specific bias (IE Chester) 00F0PU1 Indicates the recent finishing positions of the horse. F=Fell P=Pulled up C=Carried out etc etc. A slash in the form indicates a break between last season and this. Bold type indicates all-weather. BOLD TYPE - Horses name small number - Number of days since last run. Can be significant Letter - @#%$ loads of stuff C = Course winner D = Distance winner Underneath italics - horse's father (sire) and mother and (as mentioned above) its colour and sex. EG bg = bay gelding Under that, the trainers name (look for trainers with good records at certain tracks) and then the owners name. Then the jockey's name in bold, followed by the age and weight carried. EXAMPLE P Flynn 7 11-12 would mean that the jockey was P Flynn and that the horse was 7 years old, carrying 11 stone and 12 pounds. Where you see brackets next to the jockey - for example(5) it would meant that the jockey was an aprentice with a 5 pound allowance, meaning that the horse would be carrying 5 pound less than it would with a professional jock on board. Where you see 5(ex) it would mean that the horse has done well since entered into this particular race and has been allocated an extra 5 pounds to carry (which is often taken off by putting a decent apprentice on board). To answer your question on b v p t etc, they mean b = blinkers worn (if followed by a 1, this means for the first time under this particular type of race) v = visor e/s = eye shield e/c = eye cover h = hood t= tongue strap p = sheepskin cheekpieces (honestly!) Other numbers are usually the horses rating. There is an official rating and I think each paper has its own rating, so treat them with caution. Feel free to add anything that Ive missed.

Re: Key beer2.gif Onedunme, very much appreciated, owe you a beer_drink.gif would it be possible to explain the differences between : b = blinkers v = visor e/s = eye shield e/c = eye cover h = hood t= tongue strap p = sheepskin cheekpieces I mean i got the general idea, but specifically what are these ? I can imagine the effect of blinkers,visor,eye shield/cover, hood, in general its to keep the horse from getting distracted, i think unsure.gif , but why is a tongue strap used ? and why are sheepskin cheekpieces used ? nerd.gif

latest fashion indeed been watching the racing at ascot, Onedume, you are absolutely right, sheepskin cheek pieces are absolutely fashionable laugh.gif and apparently a tongue strap helps the horse's breathing happy.gif just wondering about 2 more things, i've noticed many horses get a hood as they go into the starting box and then right before the start the hood is removed. But if the horse has an h = hood next to its weight, does that mean it rides the whole race with a hood ? and what is the function of the sheepskip noseband i saw an quite a few horses ?

Re: Question on Racing post info so a NAP is a Napoleon, ... , well well laugh.gif everyones help is much appreciated guys, bigokay.gif

and on we go, now i'm looking at the race results, still on the Racing Post and in the 2nd column there are numbers like 3/4L 1L, so i figure this is a distance. Is this the distance to the winning horse or the distance to the horse just in front ? I'm assuming 3/4L means 3/4 of a horse length, correct me if i'm wrong. What do the letters sh hd nk dist stand for ?
Next to the jockey's name there is sometimes a figure like (3) or (7) , this would be the weight allowance for trainee jockey's. But i've had a look and some of the jockeys with weight allowance have done more than 30 races whilst others with less races, as few as 5, have no weight allowance. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Re: RP RPR, OR and TS are Ratings. RPR = Racing post Rating OR = Official Rating TS = Topspeed Rating Look at the left of the screen in the ANALYSIS area for details on these. Then on top of those screens is a small explanatory note. Thanks for asking martin, was getting lonely in my quest for the basics of horse racing laugh.gif