Massey NH and Flat Selections Combined

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200 Bets so far - Progress made? Well after 200 bets, i'm running at a few pts loss using Starting Prices, but 200 bets is still early days for a system like this, and also proves their must be something in this, as i knew pretty much nothing about horse racing up to this point, and i'm sure if i placed 200 bets on the horses normally, i would have been bankrupt along time by now. However, yes this system is running a loss using SP's, but using betfair, i have made a small, but healthy profit. Anyone who wants to know what kind of odds i get backing at betfair compared to SP's, can take a look at www.sports-punter.com and my record there, as i also now post the selections from this thread there. :) Hopefully we can make it another 200 bets, and that there is something in this for anyone who is taking some sort of interest :)

Guest Eboman

Re: Tuesday PompeyPunt, You have changed the selection criteria a couple of times. Did you do this based on back-checking the entire database or only on the selections you had at that moment ? Have you considered using different selection criteria for different types of races ? If so , have you done any work on this back-checking ? If not, do you think that could make a difference ? Haven't done any work like this myself yet. Just asking off the top of my head. :D Eboman :ok

Re: Tuesday Hey Eboman, i think in general the selection criteria i have now finalised is as good as i can get. To be honest, there is more value in completely excluding some races (i.e Novice Handicap chases) than working a system for every type of race. I think there is the same sort of returns for the general selection critera for National Hunt racing, as there is for breaking it down to individual races. You could narrow that down by taking the Jocky information into account, but to be honest, that seems like hard work. I think i still have copies on the selection criteria for all different types of National Hunt race if you are interested, although i'm not completely sure about that. I've changed the criteria gradually, as simply at the start, i had no idea about horse racing whatsoever :o and as i gradually learnt, i could start to narrow down the chosen races etc. I don't think the National Hunt criteria will change, as that has been tried and tested, and in my eyes performed reasonalbly well. As for the normal flat races (Not all weather) I'm not really sure how that will do as i drew up the criteria a while back, but not had the chance to test it really, although in back testing it was out performing the National Hunt races, so i would expect no tweaking will be needed there either. I'm not to worried about on how the selections have performed in real-time for me, because as you probably know, over the years there have been ups and downs in Massey's ratings, and even from my results you can see that (at one stage i had in fact doubled the bank). But back to the selection criteria, i wouldn't bother narrowing it down to specific races, just completely cut out races that do bad instead, it levels out that way, you probably could improve slightly, but the time and effort would be to great. The way i have it is simple, you have a set selection criteria for National Hunt, Flat and All Weather, and it takes no more than 5 mins each day to work out what selections there are, or if none at all. Anyway, you have any ideas yourself on all this? Would be good to hear other opinions, as these Massey ratings i have been taken a good interest in, and will be keen to see how you get on :) I must admit i saw the returns for the place market was lower than the win market, and just dismissed it off hand, but going on the fact that is only going on SP Each way prices, i think what you've got going backing on the much more competitive place market at betfair, has definite scope for a good system. Anyway, sorry for the long winded reply :D

Guest Eboman

the selection criteria Ok, lets see if i got this right : Adrian Massey has developed a rating system for horse racing. This is an automated system that identifies and values criteria and generates a rating. The rating indicates which horse in a race has most chance of winning. The actual criteria used and their value is known to Adrian Massey only. The system is available to all on his site and he has used a database to verify if the ratings can be used to make a profit. You have taken the rating system , as is, and then eliminated some of the selections in an attempt to increase the yield and profit and you have now reached a point that you can no longer see much room for improvement. ( at least not without doing some serious hard work ) Questions : Some of your selection criteria seem to be independend from the ratings like "No races on a Sunday". But are they really independend, or is it that the ratings are producing less profit when Sunday's are included ? These 3 selection criteria are completely dependend on the rating system. Is is accurate to say that the only way to improve is by looking at the rating system itself. Which in itself is not possible since Adrian is keeping that to himself. - At least a One(*) Star Rating By Massey - At least Rated 650+/560+ by Massey - Rated 40+/20+ Clear of second rated Horse. I see your point that different selection criteria for different races will not add to the overall profit. It's a lot of work and actually its probably useless since the rating system itself should take the types of races into account. So basically the only next step would be to create your own rating system, right ?

Re: the selection criteria No races on a sunday, for example is used because the sunday results produced a significant drop in returns compared to the rest of the days of the week, for the selection criteria i used, of Adrian's rating's. Although having said that, tuesday for some reason seems to have the same sort of patterns, although not quite as bad results. I'm not doing anything special really, just using as you say, Adrain's ratings, and trying to make the most out of them as possible, as for instance you could follow 5***** in the past blindly, and of make a small profit, but i am just trying to up the yield as high as i can. I personally think that soon Adrain Massey's ratings will have gone past their shelf life before to long, due to the fact that people are seeing reductions in SP's because alot of people are now using his ratings for a guide, obviously bringing down the SP's. There will come a point when every man and his dog will be alerted to the possible rating's systems. I would say the only way to find out how good a Massey 'Based' system actually is, is give it 500-1000 real time bets, and see how it goes, which is what i at least intend to do with this. And your final point, yes the only way to improve i think would to be make a rating system of my own i guess, the only problem would be where the hell to start:eek Sorry if i have gone off the point again eboman :o

Guest Eboman

Re: the selection criteria Thanks pompeyPunt, all clear to me now.

yes the only way to improve i think would to be make a rating system of my own i guess, the only problem would be where the hell to start
facing the same problem, I guess the beginning would be a good starting point :lol I think you can put in as much time as you want. It will be a quite a job to get started, you need a database, analyze the factors involved, assign importance, degree of influence, value and then somehow automate the whole process for speed. If i find the time i might have a crack at it myself, meanwhile lets put our confidence in Adrian. Good luck with this, hope you get back into profits soon. :ok