+2.5...with a 1-1 saver

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

OK....I haven't waded through stats on this one yet, that will come this weekend. I would just like some opinions if possible. The idea, (which will have been tried before) is to pick a game where you are confident both the home and away team will score. I guess statistically we need few clean sheets and failures to score in the recent past for both sides. Bet large on the 2.5 market, with a cover on the 1-1 scoreline. My pick for the weekend would be Spurs v Liverpool. More based on gut feel than statistics. Odds with Betfair.... 2.5 2.06 100pts........206pts 90pts profit 1-1 7.6 16pts.........121pts 5pts profit If anyone has selection advice, or has used a similar idea before I would appreciate your input. Mocking, Banter, Ridicule also welcome....

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

Why 2 threads....? I wanted to edit the thread, but it didn't work....I know some people enjoy mocking if their (deliberate) are mistakes. Unfortunately, a second thread was created by my actions. We could perhaps run a "spot the difference" competition....

2.5 with 1-1 saver Hi BBB, I like the concept. Mug punters like myself need to devise some form of staking strategy or we find ourselves feeding the bookies with little chance to redress the debt. I would be keen to read associated stats.

Guest Runar K

Re: 2.5 with 1-1 saver Just remember that these two bets will take place in two different markets - if the 1-1 bet comes in, you won't be paying commission on £5, you will be paying commission on £105. And if your commission rate is 4.8% or higher, your current stakes will result in an overall loss if the match finishes 1-1.

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

But where is the profit...? Norfolk, I am looking for games that I think will be +2.5. That is were the profit would come from. I will pick games where I think both sides will fail to keep a clean sheet. Hence the 1-1 cover. These games will not be picked on a gut feel, the Spurs v Liverpool game was just to use as an example. My method of selection will be based on the home teams last 5 home games, and the away teams 5 away games. A similar method could perhaps be to pick home bankers as +2.5, and have a 2-0 cover. I appreciate your comments. I haven't spent a decade formulating this plan, in fact it was during my lunch today at work.

Guest Punter66

Re: +2.5...with a 1-1 saver Its something i have considered this season too BBB but have decided to give it a miss untill i have a full seasons stats. The stats below may be of some help though. Sorry they seem to be all over the place but i have copied them from a spread sheet and dont know how to straighten them up???? :o They are taken from the 188 EPL games played from the begining of the season untill the end of December. Runing        188 games        %                 0-0        24        12.7 1-0        14        7.4 0-1        15        7.9 1-1        15        7.9 2-0        13        6.9 0-2        9        4.7                 Under 1.5        53        28.1 Over 1.5        135        71.8                 2 goals        37        19.6                 Under 2.5        90        47.8 Over 2.5        98        52.1                 Homes        81        43 Draws        50        26.5 Aways        57        30.3

Guest bcrazy1

Re: +2.5...with a 1-1 saver To avoid playing in 2 separate markets and therefore reduce the comission you could just lay 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 0-1 and 0-2 and then lay 1-1 slightly so you would break even in that event :D

Re: +2.5...with a 1-1 saver Thats an interesting thought and it could work out a better value bet. Only problem I can see though is the liquidity for correct scores. I would imagine it would be possible to lay correct scores at something less than the fair price on big games, but it might be more difficult to get matched on the smaller games. Interesting info Runar. I'm surprised to see such a high percentage of 0-0s. I would have expected a lot more 1-0 and 1-1 scores

Guest Punter66

Re: +2.5...with a 1-1 saver

Interesting info Runar. I'm surprised to see such a high percentage of 0-0s. I would have expected a lot more 1-0 and 1-1 scores
Not sure if your refering to the stats i put up there Norfolk or Runars :lol but anyway i am surprised too, 0-0's, 1-0's and 1-1's are definately not in line with the past 10 year trends so far this season. Past ten years EPL (these stats were not compiled by me mind) 0-0 8.80% 1-0 11.20% 0-1 7.54% 1-1 12.46% 2-0 8.12% 0-2 4.06%

Re: +2.5...with a 1-1 saver

I guess statistically we need few clean sheets and failures to score in the recent past for both sides.
Smells like Gambler's Fallacy a bit to me, unless you have good reasons for believing low scoring teams are ready for a score, e.g. the manager's given the side a bollocking, or their star striker is back. Would you bet red after 10 blacks simply because you thought one was due?

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

Re: +2.5...with a 1-1 saver Joe, No, I wouldn't bet red after 10 blacks. I think you may have miss understood the sentence. "we need few clean sheets AND failures to score" I mean few of both. I probably should have written "few clean sheets and few failures to score", but I thought it made sense.

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

Re: +2.5...with a 1-1 saver I have decided on Derby v Gillingham for my first pick. .................................F....A....FTS...CS..>2.5 Derby Co. Last 5 Home...8...10....1......1......4 Gillingham Last 5 Away...9....8.....1......0......3 With betfair +2.5 @ 1.94 87pts 1-1 @ 7.6 13pts Let's see how it goes......

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

Commission The prices quoted are before commission Norfolk. I assume prices posted should be quoted with potential commission removed. I will endeavour to do so in future posts. I'm still learning the way of the PL.

Guest AnothrSpacecat

Re: Derby 2 Gillingham 1 theres more low scores this year because nobody can afford to get relegated, teams are taking less risks than they used to

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

There seemed to be quite a few goals in Div 1 this weekend Space Man, Have you got any stats on this...? I had a look at the 4 divisions this season, each one was around 50/50 for the Over/Under market. Is it usually different to this? If so what is a more expected split..? Also, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say.... Do you think that the idea of backing +2.5 and 1-1, in games where you are confident that both teams will concede is a poor strategy? Hmsh...

Guest Lardonio

Re: There seemed to be quite a few goals in Div 1 this weeke For Premier League, so far 49% under, 51% over. Last year 51% under, 49% over, year before that 53% under, 47% over. 2001 51% under, 49% over. More goals 2003/04 so far. Division 1 so far, 53% under, 47% over. Last year 49% under, 51% over. Year before that the same. 2001 57% under (!) and 43% over. So less goals this season than two previous, but not the one before. Division 2 so far, 50/50. Last year 53/47, year before that 50/50. 2001 51/49. Generally a few more goals this year than before. Division 3 so far, 50/50. Last year 51/49, year before that 53/47 and 2001 56/44. So a few more goals there as well. So generally what you're saying about less goals Spacecat is wrong..

Guest DannyCash

Arsenal v Boro Would you consider this game for your strategy BBB? I think boro will conceed with their lack of leadership and experience at the back - no Southgate, Ehiogu or Cooper, but may score as they have been scoring recently, and will field an overall stronger team than Arsenal???? Danny

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

Re: Arsenal v Boro Mr Cash, As ever you make a strong case for your suggestion. However, I will be leaving this one alone tonight. I can see it finishing +2.5. Arsenal will want to win the round tonight, and Boro have all of a sudden started scoring and conceding. I shall bide my time for the fixture of choice.

Guest Boof Bonk Boosh

I just can't stop myself..... The stats don't really back up this one, but stats aren't always right, are they...? I watched Liverpool against Spurs, and their defence looked decidedly shaky. I cannot see them keeping a clean sheet against Newcastle, with Dyer's pace, Shearer's experience and Robert's flair. Newcastle's defence is by no means water tight, and now Owen has a couple of games under his belt after returning from injury he must be due a goal. ..................................F....A....FTS...CS...>2.5 Liverpool Last 5 Home.....9....6......0......1......4 Newcastle Last 5 Away...2....7......3......2......1 With Betfair +2.5 @ 2.08....87pts 1-1 @ 7.6......13pts Prices before commision.