Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Just a quick question kev, was the Bell first innings bet win or e.w? Anyway best of luck with your remaining bets in the game although it might be a tough one for england to get a lead from this one especially if south africa's best batsman gets going which so far he hasnt done so far in the series.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series

62 in total. You have to say on paper England do look strong. Collingwood still averages over 40 in test cricket' date=' Flintoff over 30 while Ambrose comes in with a first class average of over 35 and he's batting 8. That's a strong lineup but Collingwood and Ambrose just aren't delivering. [/quote'] 6,7,8 62 runs. On current form and confidence (this summer test ave 56) Broad would have got those on his own! I won't go on about Collingwood :wall . This looks a 430+ track with sunshine now forecast for most of the day. 0.5pt BUY SA runs @ 390 Boylesports now have Kallis at 5-1 for MoM. Will he finally come good with the bat? With wkts in the locker this may be worth a tickle. Looking for a biggish score today, obviously. 15pts Kallis MoM @ 5-1

6,7,8 62 runs. On current form and confidence (this summer test ave 56) Broad would have got those on his own! I won't go on about Collingwood :wall .
I don't disagree with you regarding Collingwood, I'm not much of a fan anyway as he has a style I don't particularly enjoy watching but I'm just trying to point out that when you have a guy coming in at 8 with a first class average of over 35 then on paper (ie forgetting form which is only usually temporary anyway) that's a strong side. We have to be careful we don't pick Broad for his batting. 30pts picked up by Anderson today and it was a bit unlucky it wasn't more as I thought he bowled well this evening. Still 14 wickets and a bat left so hopefully he can take 3 of use the bat to get a combination of 59 more points.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Hi Kev, I have been looking at the weather forecast and tomorrow is going to be light showers, Saturday Heavy Shoers & Sunday light Showers! Do you think the bookies have the betting wrong here: England win 7/2 DRAW 7/2 South Africa 1/5 I think with the weather this could be a draw and the odds look amazing value!!! (William Hill Odds) What do you think Kev?

Hi Kev, I have been looking at the weather forecast and tomorrow is going to be light showers, Saturday Heavy Shoers & Sunday light Showers! Do you think the bookies have the betting wrong here: England win 7/2 DRAW 7/2 South Africa 1/5 I think with the weather this could be a draw and the odds look amazing value!!! (William Hill Odds) What do you think Kev?
Hmm, it's always a tricky one mate because we're guessing as to how much weather we're getting. The forecast I've just looked at says it's fine tomorrow and what is light showers on Sunday and when exactly will they come? The way the game is now 2 days of cricket should be enough to finish the game and I'd probably wager on us getting that. One thing I do know is I won't be in a hurry to back SA at 1/5 :ok.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series I'm going to add 2. I was going to back Bell ew again but at 4/1 we only get our stake back with a place and there's always more chance of being outscored in test cricket because there's no time limit and everyone usually bats. I'll take the bit of place money on him from the 1st inns and leave the top bat although Flintoff is tempting at 8's with his record at Edgbaston and the decent game he's having. 10pts Lay South Africa to win 3rd test 1.61 Betfair I can't be having South Africa at 8/13 here. First of all the weather on days 4 and 5 isn't particularly inspiring so that could bring the draw into play and secondly they aren't exactly miles clear in the match at the minute. They only lead by 25 with this wicket and the tail left. I know England have struggled to get that tail out but even so it's hard to see that lead being more than 100, especially with England having a new ball in 4 overs time. If they can break this partnership quickly they should expect to clean the tail up and then it's all about whether England can score some runs. You'd have to think the poor umpiring decisions will stop at some point which would help and you'd also expect Vaughan, Collingwood and Ambrose to score runs at some point. There's no reason why it can't be here even if they only make 100 between them. If England can get a lead of around 250-300 then with the weather around that should ensure they can't lose the game and with Monty on a used wicket we could even win it. Either way SA are too short at this stage so I'll lay them at 1.61. 10pts South Africa's 1st Inns Runs Under 365.5 5/6 Boylesports South Africa will begin day 3 on 256/6, 25 runs ahead of England's 1st innings score. England will have a new ball at their disposal 4 overs into the day's play. Ashwell Prince and Mark Boucher will be at the crease but once that partnership is broken it's only the tail to come. Asking the rest of this side to put on another 110 is a tough ask, especially against a new ball. Harris is already out of the tail having been nightwatchman so although Morkel can hold a bat, Nel and Ntini should be easy pickings for England. Andrew Flintoff will be fit to go 1st thing in the morning and I'm confident England will restrict South Africa to under 366 in their 1st innings.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Good luck with your lay of SA, Kev. Still tough yards ahead for both teams. England really should have made more of the conditions. Relying on a 3-man attack, cloud and rain breaks were an England godsend. yup, new ball key. But they are quite capable of bowling similar cobblers to Thur morning. 320-380 looks a realistic range, offered by sportingbet at odds against. 24 pts SA 1st innings 320-380 @ 6-4

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Thanks Pie Chucker for putting me onto the Sportingbet market. I've gone for under 320 at 5/2. Here's hoping Anderson has one of his good days but with Flintoff being top bowler to bring the Nell/Flintoff double home.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series When you guys talk about number of Points your betting are those percentage of total bank points. Also my Nell top SA 1st innings bowler double with Flintoff in England's first innings, Nell effectively dead heated with Kallis so I presume dead heat rules mean I get half the return then going on the flintoff bet?

Collingwood drives for 4, then pulls Ntini for same result. Don't tell me Collingwood will get MoM :$ Fair play to the bloke though.
I'd imagine it will depend on who wins mate. If SA win (which I don't think they will now) then you'd think Kallis will have to contribute well so he'd have every chance. If they don't win it's all Colly's.

My only bet in the series is going to be on South Africa to win the series at evens. Personally I rate them more likely to win the series than not. For me England have been limping around for quite some time and I think they may well get found out here. There is a possibilty that England could and most probably will raise their game against the better opposition but they will have to do convincingly so to match the South Africans in my opinion. South Africa's recent form in tests in the last year or so has been good. They have won 12 of their last 17 matches, England just 7. They thrashed New Zealand 2-0 winning their tests by an innings in one and 350+ runs in another. Compare that to what England did against New Zealand. In NZ, they just overcame then 2-1 and even though Eng. beat NZ 2-0 in a three match series here, there were quite a few cracks in Englands armour especially the batting after KP. Quite simply Bell, Colly, Ambrose cant have a NZ style series against SA. Also if it wasnt for Panesar's fantastic spell at Old trafford NZ would have won that test match and then the series would have had a completely different dimension. Another factor to consider is that the NZ team in SA was better than the one sent over here, it had the likes of Fleming, Syris, Bond who add hugely to the NZ team. On a comparative viewpoint SA come on top from that regard. SA lost the first test to WI in SA but they came back to win that series easily, winning by an innings in the last test and that shows some grit and character which perhaps hasnt been in all SA sides. Bangladesh as expected were no problem. In India they played really well in a 1-1 drawn series, especially in the second test. They routed India by an innings blowing a batting line up with the likes of Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly, Dhoni out for just 70 odd and that is mighty impressive. They key to routing India for 70 odd was the 3 man style pace attck of Steyn, Morkel and Ntini. The fact that Pollock has been slowly pushed aside effectively says it all. Steyn has grown so impressively as an international cricketer in the past year or so, his strike rate of a wicket every 35 balls in test cricket after some time now speaks volumes. He is a major wicket taker. In Morkel they have another player of real promise whos height adds another dimension to their attack and Ntini continues to provide great support and even though he might not be finding wickets as easy to take as a couple of years ago. Nel is just Nel and Kallis is reluctant back up but effective at that as he showed here in 2003 at Headingley. One possible edge England have is Panesar over Harris but Harris actually hasnt done that badly in test cricket so far and personally I can see some of the SA batsman really attacking monty and how Monty responds provides another fascinating dimension to the series. Personally I can see the SA attack causing England some major problems and I wouldnt be surprised to see england having to finally change their batting line up latter on in the series. On the batting side of things Smith undoubtedly is a key figure and whilst Hoggard proved how much of an LBW candidate he is last time in SA, he isnt here to worry him and the question is whether someone like Anderson can step in and take that Hoggard role is questionable, certainly on previous ocassions Smith has scored really heavily off Anderson's bowling which is eratic still. Mckenzie has had success so far in his test career as a reborn opener. Amla has improved a lot since England last played SA and is in good form whilst Kallis will be very hard to get out, the type of player England have struggled to get out in the past and it could be the same there, Kallis' career could hardly be called a failure against Eng, he averages over 47. Prince is more of an accumulator style batsman whilst De Villers should have huge confidence in him after a huge double hundred in India. If I had a slight concern it would be that 8-11 is a little bit of a tail, if Eng put Flintoff in at 8 in the second Test and Broad maybe at 9 then Eng would have an advantage in that area. However to some up my feelings I believe South Africa are better than England and I believe recent test match form bears that out. Their pace attack especially could cause real problems to Englands batsman and they have more than enough quality in their batting line up to score really significant runs. I dont know what the weather is going to do at Lords where results normally are hard to come by but in the rest of the series I think South Africa will prosper.
That will do nicely.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Monty is actually our 2nd highest wicket taker in this series and that's on dead wickets and including a test match where we barely bowled in a 2nd innings. Despite England losing, that was a decent test match for me betting wise. +20.51 for the 3rd test which puts me +31.14pts for the series now. I'll do all the outrights at the end of the series but obviously the two England win bets are dead but Smith's innings yesterday has catapulted him to top spot for SA while Bell is only 4 behind KP for England. Flintoff is only 3 wickets behind Anderson with The Oval being right up his street so there's still plenty of outrights running for me. Not sure how much I'll play the final test as dead rubbers don't inspire me. I may just leave the outrights going but we'll see what's offered.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series 4th and final test. It's a dead rubber so I'm not going to go bonkers. I've got quite a few outrights going for me still which I'll use as my main focus for this test. I'm still going with 3 for the final test though. 10pts A six to be hit on day 1 Evs Sportingbet Literally a repeat of the last test. We saw a 6 on the opening day there and we've probably more chance here with the straight boundaries to the OCS stand being very short these days. The pitch will be good, it always is at The Oval and I expect a lot of runs on this pitch. At some point someone will bang one in short and that should be enough for us to get a maximum. It's happened in all 3 previous tests so it shouldn't be evens so I'm on. 10pts M.Morkel's Performance Pts 102&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Morne Morkel could just be the bowler most difficult to face on this wicket. Wicket's at The Brit Oval are always bouncy but the groundsman says this one will have pace in it too which will make Morkel a tricky customer to deal with, especially with the likes of Bell and Collingwood small in stature. I would imagine Morkel will be good for 5 wickets over the course of the test match but he's shown in glimpses in this series that he can bat so we might only need 4 wickets. Either way with Morkel no mug with bat or in the field and very strong with the ball I think he'll get 102pts at least in this final test match. 2pts ew S.Broad Top England Batsman (1st Inns Only) 25/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Corals are learning slowly but 25/1 is still pretty big about Broad who can definitely bat let's make no bones about that. This wicket might well suit him too. A bit of pace so he can play his shots, shots which he'll get good value for with a lightning outfield. England are going with one less out and out batsman which only boosts Broad's chances of top scoring and with a batting lineup which hasn't scored many 1st innings runs recently Broad has to be backed at 25/1 to come in down the order and top score like he did in the 2nd innings at Headingley.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series This is a dead rubber of sorts. But for more than one reason, this will be an intresting match. Kevin will wanna win this match. He has spoken too strongly to back out and play for a draw. The whole of african team will just get a kick by beating him. I expect a very good contest and the weather also dont look too bad. We'll get atleast 400 overs. Also the curator said that there will be a bit more grass this time and more pace. And with the bounce here, this should be a contest. More than once we have seen that in a dead rubber, batsmen go for their shots if the ball is there to be hit. Even the otherwise tight south african batsmen will be seen playing outside off. Lay draw @ 2.00 betfair (10 points) For the same reasons given above, kev's A SIX TO BE HIT ON DAY 1, looks good. Though i'd like more news on the weather, if neone can read radars and forecasts well. I CANT.

pace and venom Harmy first over. Carry and a bit of movement. 2nd over coming up. 0.5 pts SELL SA 1st innings @ 405
Brilliant pick up mate :clap:clap. As for my 6's bet, 38 boundaries and not one of them a 6 :sad. Not to worry. It's won me some cash over the course of the series. Play2win, I always use the met office for weather when I bet on county cricket and it's pretty accurate. Link to London is here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/london_forecast_weather.html

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Top effort by England on a track touted Wed evening by the groundsman as a 400 pitch. Trouble for SA was the 200 atmospherics... and bursts of seriously good bowling. If the sun's out today, even this line-up (Collingwood at 5 :lol) could get to that 400. More probable is profit from a fixed odds runs bet of under 356.5. Hold fire for cloud/humidity/forecast. SA may not be out of this yet.