Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series

guys with bet365's performance market, i understand the 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket,however is this for the whole test match or just 1st innings? never really got into it, but looks interesting.
The whole match mate :ok

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series thanks for clarifying that mate, in that case im having a decent bet on Tim Ambrose 74 and over @ 5/6 1pt per run 10pts per catch 20pts per wicket (n/a) the method to my madness is the poor performing wkt keeper, is likely to be involved in alot of knicks/caught behind action, expect the ball to swing in Leeds and lead to edges, so should get a few catches. Also Ambrose is expected to bat ahead of Fred tommorrow at No6 possibly and i feel he could take his chance in this test match with the bat, the law of averages suggest he will get a score & make a contribution at some point, surely?

thanks for clarifying that mate, in that case im having a decent bet on Tim Ambrose 74 and over @ 5/6 1pt per run 10pts per catch 20pts per wicket (n/a) the method to my madness is the poor performing wkt keeper, is likely to be involved in alot of knicks/caught behind action, expect the ball to swing in Leeds and lead to edges, so should get a few catches. Also Ambrose is expected to bat ahead of Fred tommorrow at No6 possibly and i feel he could take his chance in this test match with the bat, the law of averages suggest he will get a score & make a contribution at some point, surely?
I looked at him myself mate. One thing you've not quoted is he gets 25pts per stumping. Might not happen but it's always nice to have the potential of one and Monty could zip one past the edge. I've not gone for him though because I'm not overly convinced a) that he'll bat 6, I think Collingwood will play and he'll bat 8 and b) if he does bat 6 and fail we might not bat twice. It's one of those totals for me which looks tasty but I've been burnt with those sort of totals before. Good luck with it though.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series I'm going with 5 initially at Headingley. 10pts England to win 1st Innings 23/20 Sportingbet England comfortably won the 1st innings at Lords and you would struggle to argue that they won't come into this match stronger than they were in that match. Sure the South African bowlers may have come in underdone but their batsmen weren't. England look likely to pick Flintoff for Collingwood which will help because Collingwood has barely scored a test match run this summer so Fred will struggle to do worse there while his bowling option is a massive boost. All the vibes are though that Sidebottom isn't fit and I'd be very surprised if he plays so Collingwood could get a reprieve and Flintoff would replace Sidebottom. That would mean Stuart Broad would come in at 9 giving England a very strong batting lineup on paper. South Africa have a fitness doubt over Neil McKenzie but reading between the lines I'm sure he'll play. They have to sort out their bowling attack though because it was toothless at Lords. Andre Nel could come in with Paul Harris or Makhaya Ntini likely to make way. Whoever plays for South Africa, with Morne Morkel coming in at number 8 they have a long tail. Conditions will suit England with the ball because it's sure to swing with lots of cloud cover expected. Our batsmen can play swing with comfort but many of the South Africans can't and I can see England winning the 1st innings here very comfortably too. 10pts A.Strauss +3.5 runs to beat G.Smith (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Ladbrokes Andrew Strauss has a very good record here at Headingley. He averages just under 48 with the bat here having scored a half century and a century in his 3 matches here. He also plays swing well which will be key because with the forecast how it is the ball is sure to move about. Graeme Smith managed only 16 runs when he batted here in 2003 and I've never been all that convinced that he can play the swinging ball decisively. His predominant bottom hand grip and technique brings him into trouble when the ball moves about and he can fall over to the off side and be an LBW candidate early on. Strauss has already beaten Smith in the 1st innings at Lords and that was despite a bad decision from the umpire so getting a start here I'll go for the Middlesex batsman to stay within 3 of the SA captain. 10pts K.Pietersen 61 runs or more in 1st Innings 13/8 Blue Square Recently when Kevin Pietersen has made a good start to a series he seems to have got overexcited or believed it's too easy and then struggled for the rest of the series but I don't see that happening in this series with the history involved. Pietersen showed all his class at Lords and now he comes to a ground where he's hit a century and a double century in his 2 matches. He has a really good record against the South Africans in all forms of the game and if he can get in another big score could await. The swinging ball doesn't worry him too much either which is good. Ladbrokes go evens that KP will score 50 in the 1st innings but I'm happy to go with him needing 61 or more at a bigger price because Pietersen has only ever been out between 50 and 60 once in his test career and that was in his very 1st test innings. With 2 centuries in his last 2 tests KP is bang in form and I expect another decent score here. 10pts J.Kallis' Performance Pts Under 119 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. I think this line is too high for Kallis. I know he's rated as the best all rounder in the game but I don't rate him so highly in our conditions. He failed twice with the bat at Lords, the 2nd time on a pitch which was doing absolutely nothing and didn't do too well when he toured here in 2003. In fact Kallis has played 2 test matches at Headingley and has scored 90 runs in total. It's actually his bowling which has been most successful here for him with him taking 9 wickets in 2 matches at 17's apiece. 6 of those came in one innings though. I don't believe he plays the swinging ball well which won't help him with the bat and if South Africa go in with an all pace attack which is perfectly possible, Kallis will be a 5th bowler doing little work I suspect. At best I could give Kallis 3 wickets and that's probably being generous so he'd need at least 60 runs without catches to deny us. I just don't see it so will take the unders here. 2pts ew S.Broad Top England Batsman (1st Inns Only) 50/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) In his last two test matches Stuart Broad has made his highest test score. That was achieved at Lords with a classy 76 so this bloke can bat. Odds of 50/1 are an insult really and they'd be that if he was out of form. The fact he's bang in form make these odds a joke. He's made two half centuries in his last two test innings. Headingley can be a low scoring ground when it's cloudy like it's forecast to be and before those two half centuries Broad's previous 4 knocks were 42, 31*, 25 and 30, all of which would be good enough to make the top 3 in a low scoring innings. Broad was 3rd for us at 40/1 at Lords so I'll stick with him at these bigger odds.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series englands tail starts at 6 this match and after checking the weather forecast i dont think there will be too much rain about during play (although its just started raining). South Africa will wanna bounce back this time and bowling first is ideal. 2.66 on betfair seems like a good price to me.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series just taken SA at 3.15 inplay on BF, too many concerns with England side, what if Pattinson chokes on his debut and bowls all over the place, Fred could easily break down if over bowled, Anderson was struggling with a sore back.The batting could collapse if the top order fail aswell. England currently, 13/0 off 5.0 overs. gl.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Not been a good test for me so far with just the Kallis performance looking like winning. Think the innings total line could be a bit high. 10pts South Africa 1st Inns Runs - Under 485.5 5/6 Boylesports South Africa closed day 2 of this test match on 322/4, somewhat short of the total Boylesports think they'll achieve with this line. Realistically England's bowlers are only two wickets away from the tail and that's assuming Mark Boucher does something with the bat. It's a big ask for the lower order of South Africa to come up 163 runs so AB de Villiers and Ashwell Prince will have to score the majority of them. It's meant to be a bit cloudier on Sunday which should assist the England bowlers and I think they'll dismiss South Africa for less than 485 in this innings.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Could anyone tell me I done a bet

England v South Africa - 2nd Test (Headingley) : To Win Test Match - Updated BettingSouth Africa
That was on the 18th I'm just wondering will this bet be finished tomorrow? Just seen the first page which says 2nd test ends 22nd but not sure?

Joe, You'll probably be able to pick up the winnings shortly before tea today. Monday.
Hehe, unless Flintoff goes all Botham '81 on the South Africans asses! Betfair go 110 on England at he mo, hardly the 500/1 Marsh and Lillee got back then;) Has anyone made a profit on this game? I've broken even, only cos I didn't have a bet:) Problem is on the next game as I don't know what to make of this England team whereas with SA you seem to know what you're getting.

thanks for clarifying that mate, in that case im having a decent bet on Tim Ambrose 74 and over @ 5/6 1pt per run 10pts per catch 20pts per wicket (n/a) the method to my madness is the poor performing wkt keeper, is likely to be involved in alot of knicks/caught behind action, expect the ball to swing in Leeds and lead to edges, so should get a few catches. Also Ambrose is expected to bat ahead of Fred tommorrow at No6 possibly and i feel he could take his chance in this test match with the bat, the law of averages suggest he will get a score & make a contribution at some point, surely?
just taken SA at 3.15 inplay on BF, too many concerns with England side, what if Pattinson chokes on his debut and bowls all over the place, Fred could easily break down if over bowled, Anderson was struggling with a sore back.The batting could collapse if the top order fail aswell. England currently, 13/0 off 5.0 overs. gl.
Ambrose got 58pts i make it, might have made 74+ with a couple more catches seeing as SA only really had 'one' innings.:wall covered it with straight SA win, cant see England getting a look in a Edgbaston unless they produce a real lively result friendly pitch, which will probably work against them anyway.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series They say easy come, easy go and it was :sad. As with the NZ test the 2nd test has killed me. Only Kallis's performance bet was a winner and that would've been a winner if it covered the whole series the way he's going. -35.67 for this test and back to +10.63 for the series. Edgbaston is next up and it's where England play their best cricket. That starts next Wednesday.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series You'd surely have to let Harmison of his leash. (And cross your fingers). Collingwood in because he's a nice bloke in the dressing room. So Broad and Anderson miss out (the only two who showed any grit last test). Then the tail starts at 6 with Collingwood, and no Broad to bolster it. And a 4-man 'hope for the best' bowling attack. Shambles. SA to walk it.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series What is the weather predicted to be during the test? I was shocked at seeing odds of 7/4 for South Africa especially with England without Broad and Anderson. Seems unbeliveable value to me. Unless the weather ruins the game.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Dale Steyn's absence is the reason for the SA price. With him fit they'd probably be 5/4. I look forward to seeing Nell, he's always good value, snarling and berating the batsmen. I've had a little double on Flintoff and Snell to be the top wicket takers in the first innings 3/1 and 7/2 so 17/1 the double. I think the whole game rests on whether England can get the SA batsmen out for less than 300, hopefully Sidebottom will do some damage and Flintoff and Harmison will show some real hostility. Latest Betfair odds : Eng 4.5 SA 3.05 Draw 2.2 (Overound 100.5%)

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Weather for Birmingham links that I've been looking at. BBC seems to think showers on today, thurs, fri and sat and the other one similar http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0002 http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Birmingham-UKXX0018 which explains the draw price for what was talked of being a result pitch.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series I see harmy & board are out for tomorrow, so england back to 6 batsmen and perhaps a more negative approach, and with the factored in rain forecasted from thursday through to the weekend, this test spells Draw all over it.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series 3rd Test - Edgbaston Top England Batsman, Its about time Michael Vaughan got some runs, he usually has at least one score every series, and with Dale Steyn not playing, the skipper might stand a better chance, afterall he has been Steyn's 'bunny'. KP will be popular in this market as he always is, but some of his shot selection at Headingley was horrific. Michael Vaughan @ 11/2 (general)

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series 3rd test then. Edgbaston. Colly and Sidebottom in for Broad and the roofer. No problem with that although if Broad is resting why is he playing for Notts :\. England's best ground so I'm getting them on my side in a match which ultimately the weather could win. 5 for me initially. 10pts England 1st Inns Lead 5/4 Bet365 England were undone at Headingley by Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel. Well there's no Dale Steyn to worry about here as he's injured and the groundsman doesn't think this will suit the bang it in bowlers hence Harmison getting the elbow. England have brought Collingwood in at number 6 which means Flintoff at 7 and Ambrose at 8 which on paper is very strong. Sidebottom and Anderson both average well into double figures too. South Africa still have a bit of a doubt over their captain although I'm sure he'll play. Andre Nel is coming in for Steyn but they have a very long tail and if England can get stuck into the middle order early doors I'm confident we'll lead at half time. England have led at half time in 4 of the last 5 tests here and that includes against Australia. It's a ground they love playing at so I'll go with England to win the 1st innings. 10pts A 6 to be hit on Day 1 11/10 Sportingbet In this age of twenty20 cricket and boundaries being sought after and shots being hit bigger than before I can never understand why bets like this are so big. Both matches so far in the series have seen the boundary cleared and on what is forecast to be a good 1st day weather wise in Birmingham I can't see why a 6 wouldn't be hit here. We need a minimum of 80 overs bowled in the day for this bet to stand else it's void but there should be 80 overs and on what will start off a good pitch for batsmen I'll be surprised if there isn't a 6. 10pts A.Cook to beat A.Strauss (1st Inns Only) 5/6 Bet365 Alastair Cook has had a decent series with the bat so far having passed 50 twice. Although Strauss beat him at Headingley, Cook has looked by far the most fluent of these two in the series to date. His knock in the 2nd innings should've given him some confidence too. Andrew Strauss only averages 21.50 here in 3 matches whilst Cook made 57 in his only match here 2 years ago. Andrew Strauss is a battler but Cook has looked good in the series and I think he'll beat Strauss in our 1st innings. 10pts J.Anderson's Performance Pts 90&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Jimmy Anderson has been excellent with the ball in this series and I'm sure he'll have been grateful for the week off having bowled a lot of overs recently. He is taking wickets though and possibly bowling as well as ever. Steve Rouse, the head groundsman here thinks the ball will favour the swing bowlers and that is right up Anderson's street. What I like about this bet though is that Anderson is a good fielder and has actually taken 3 catches in the series. Michael Vaughan puts him in catching positions so we could easily get a catch or two. Anderson has also come on leaps and bounds with his batting. He made a career best 34 in the last test while in the last match of the NZ series he made 28. Anderson has 45 runs from 2 knocks in the series and while we can't rely on runs, he's capable of contributing with the bat to ensure we won't need more than 4 wickets for this to come in. If catches and runs come 3 wickets could be the requirement so I'm on the over here. 5pts I.Bell Top England Batsman (1st Inns Only) 9/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Ian Bell was ridiculously unlucky at Headingley. He was going along nicely in the 1st innings before he inside edged a ball onto his own stumps from Kallis and then in the 2nd innings AB de Villiers pulled off one of the best catches you'll see to send him back to the pavilion. Bell showed in the 1st test though that he's in decent form making 199. This is his home ground and the last time he batted here he made a double hundred so he's in great form and will be accustomed to the conditions. I've backed Bell for the series but the form he's in and on his home ground I've got to back him again here.

Re: Cricket: England vs South Africa Test Series Interesting bets, top analysis, Kev. Not sure about this bit. England have brought Collingwood in at number 6 which means Flintoff at 7 and Ambrose at 8 which on paper is very strong. 30 runs between them first innings, max. (unless they've dug up the grass and laid sheets of A4 :lol) 1pt SELL Vaughan match runs v Anderson match runs @ 52

Interesting bets, top analysis, Kev. Not sure about this bit. England have brought Collingwood in at number 6 which means Flintoff at 7 and Ambrose at 8 which on paper is very strong. 30 runs between them first innings, max. (unless they've dug up the grass and laid sheets of A4 :lol) 1pt SELL Vaughan match runs v Anderson match runs @ 52
62 in total. You have to say on paper England do look strong. Collingwood still averages over 40 in test cricket, Flintoff over 30 while Ambrose comes in with a first class average of over 35 and he's batting 8. That's a strong lineup but Collingwood and Ambrose just aren't delivering. All 3 bets which were settled today were winners which I'm happy with. It means I'll have a profit on the 5 bets so far regardless of how the last two do. Ian Bell consolidated a decent lead in the top bat for the series so I'm fairly happy so far.