Player of the Tournament

Not to be confused with as to who'll get 'Man of the Match' for the final. It's probably going to be a German or a Spaniard (I highly doubt Andrei Arshavin ~ available at 50/1 over at Boylesports ~ is going to get it particularly after he didn't turn up in the semi-final). Odds from Paddy Power: euro2008-pott-pp.jpgDavid Villa isn't playing in the final so he probably won't get it, and if Michael Ballack's not playing he might not get it either. I've gone for a 'Hail Mary' long shot in both Andres Iniesta (33/1 over at Boylesports) and Marcos Senna (22/1 over at Paddy Power). I think their contributions have been vital but it's a subjective view (David Silva is a stonking 28/1 over at Paddy Power whilst Cesc Fabregas' odds have tumbled down to 7/1 general second favourite over at Sky Bet/William Hill). The one mark against Marcos Senna is...will they name a Brazilian the best player of a European tournament? Iker Casillas (8/1 at Blue Square/Boylesports/Sky Bet) is a live bet having performed well in the semi-final and being a hero in the penalty shootout against Italy but I think an outfield player is going to get it. If the Germans win then I'd put a vote in for Bastian Schweinsteiger (16/1 at Blue Square/Boylesports).

Re: Player of the Tournament It doesn't seem so and the 'Team of the Tournament' and the 'Player of the Tournament' will be announced on Monday. http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/countries/organisation/sa/kind=524288/newsid=708734.html I had a look around on the Euro 2008 website and they haven't announced anything yet. I suppose if a sting's landed by the technical team who change their minds and decide it BEFORE the final's been played then I'll hold my hands up and say I mugged myself...I'll probably console myself that at least it isn't being decided by Hansen, Lawrenson and Lineker! OT: Arsene Wenger's backing Michael Ballack to be named 'Player of the Tournament'. Ballack's also now apparently WILL start tonight. :\ http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=749933 Food for thought: http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/06/28/sports/OUKSP-UK-SOCCER-EURO-AWARD.php

Re: Player of the Tournament If Cesc Fabregas has a good performance in the final with Spain winning it I can see him taking home the player of the tournument. I backed him before the semi final with Russia at 16/1 which wasn't great but I did think he could be the face of their glory after the previous game. He had a good game that night & set up two goals. He scored the winning penalty in the game before this against the mighty Italians & a goal for sure, but even a good perforamnce tonight & he must be in with as good a shout as any for the award??

Re: Player of the Tournament He's not up for it, this is the official list of nominations. - David Villa - Marcos Senna - Iker Casillas - Carles Puyol - Wesley Sneijder - Michael Ballack - Bastian Schweinsteiger - Andrei Arshavin - Hamit Altintop - Luka Modric

Re: Player of the Tournament Surely Schweinsteiger won't get the award after his red card against Croatia? I think as an outsider Luka Modric has a good shout as he was a large part of the inspiration behind the Croatian side. I do think though that as they only made the quarter finals it is unlikely that he has played enough games to win the award. Villa and Ballack are the obvious stand outs and as Villa is likely top scorer then the award should really go to Ballack and as I feel Germany will outmuscle the Spanish I think the award will end up going Ballack's way.

Re: Player of the Tournament D'OH!! I've done me dough in on Andres Iniesta then. :( If Ballack comes off the bench from an injury and inspires Germany to a win he'll almost certainly get it. I don't think Germany win though and the odds are far too short (3/1 and worse). Yuck. I suppose I should hedge and have those bets on Iker Casillas and Bastian Schweinsteiger after all. I will be stunned if Carlos Puyol is named 'Player of the Tournament'.

Re: Player of the Tournament The winner is going to come from the final so; - Marcos Senna - Iker Casillas - Carles Puyol - Michael Ballack - Bastian Schweinsteiger Are the left candidates. I can't see a keeper or defender winning it so that leaves; - Marcos Senna @ 12/1 - Michael Ballack @ 2/1 - Bastian Schweinsteiger @ 14/1 I cant see Scheinsteiger getting it after missing the first game and being sent off in the second, so the value bet is Senna @ 12/1

Re: Player of the Tournament Nervous few hours for me as the UEFA Technnical Team are gonna announce who's in the 'Team of the Tournament' and who the 'Player of the Tournament' is before midday. OT: Alan Hansen's going for David Villa. Alan Shearer's going for Carlos Puyol. Martin O'Neill's going for Marcos Senna. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7480516.stm